post #3601 of 4926 Old 05-14-2014, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post

I think it shows red if it reboots.

It's a bright red during at least part of reboot and only lasts a couple of minutes.  This lasted at least an hour.

But I tracked it down.  The red light is on the BACK of the DVR+, probably in one of the cable sockets.  Something was lying in front covering the normal "pilot light", and all the lights were out (I'd gone downstairs for a glass of milk to settle my stomach and let me sleep).

Case closed, cockpit error.

Chuck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 4926 Old 05-14-2014, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_ View Post

Are you connected to the Internet? Starting with release 106R (confirm that you do have it, even though you mention the software update), my time when connected to the Internet has been rock solid. Since I'm always connected I can't comment on how the device behaves when not connected. So, if you're connected, compare the dvr time with some reference source and let us know what you discover. If you feel your time is off, let us know what your reference source was and how you made the determination.

just checked and the clock is correct. the reference time sources are cell phone and a clock that is synced via satellite signal (or is it a radio signal?). you know, one of those clocks that sets itself.

i did just indeed update to 106R just yesterday after setting it up. and i am connected to the internet.

post #3603 of 4926 Old 05-14-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post

just checked and the clock is correct. the reference time sources are cell phone and a clock that is synced via satellite signal (or is it a radio signal?). you know, one of those clocks that sets itself.
i did just indeed update to 106R just yesterday after setting it up. and i am connected to the internet.
better if the DVR will be connected to Internet smile.gif not you, hehe.
So, your box is getting time by NTP from NIST site.
post #3604 of 4926 Old 05-15-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Well it happened. My 106R recorded the wrong show! I thought 106R was supposed to fix that. The show recorded definitely is not on my list of timers.
post #3605 of 4926 Old 05-15-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Can you check a TV guide for that day to see if you can tell when and where the mistaken show was supposed to air? It might help to narrow down the problem if you can tell whether you got a show from the wrong channel but the right timeslot or if the DVR+ recorded the wrong show on the wrong channel at the wrong time.
post #3606 of 4926 Old 05-16-2014, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
New glitch to report (in fact, two for the price of one!).....please don't shoot the messenger!......
I started fast forwarding a recording. Video froze (still frame) but bar graph continued normally!
This occurred seven out of ten times (functioned normally the other three attempts).
Then, all of a sudden, it did the exact opposite! The bar graph froze and the video advanced normally!
This occurred less frequently. I was able to duplicate it twice in ten attempts.
Tried cold reboot and factory reset, to no avail! Tested on four shows (different channels, different days and times). Same result!
Wanted to rule out as much as possible prior to posting this.
Is this a new discovery? Has anyone seen this as of yet ? (If so, I haven't read about it).
Update: The frozen video (while bar graph continues normally) occurs in reverse as well. Noticed this on same recordings, as well as three others (where it only occurred in reverse).
.....not a happy camper!
post #3607 of 4926 Old 05-16-2014, 03:40 AM

Additionally......(again, please don't shoot the messenger!)
I've noticed (since the outset) that, at least 50% of the time, when I "rewind" a recording to the very beginning, the bar graph and video will stop prematurely. It will reverse until approx. 2-3 minutes before the actual start of the recording and, should you hit play at this point, you'll be 2-3 minutes forward of the actual starting point. I've needed to then reverse once again (or "skip" back) in order to start playback from the beginning of the show!
I haven't seen this problem covered here either. Have others noticed this?
post #3608 of 4926 Old 05-16-2014, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishmosh View Post

Well it happened. My 106R recorded the wrong show! I thought 106R was supposed to fix that. The show recorded definitely is not on my list of timers.

106R or any other firmware update will never be able to correct for the wrong guide information being supplied by Rovi. However, I'm still getting missed recordings even when the episode is showing in the guide. I just noticed that a program that is scheduled to be recorded was showing in the guide but the episode did not show up in the Scheduled Recordings screen or as Pending in the DVR Recording History screen until I  selected it in the Guide and choose "Update Name Search". According to my STB Health screen under Technical Info, Rovi is schedule to complete its daily update in a couple hours, so maybe it would have caught it then.

post #3609 of 4926 Old 05-16-2014, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post

No lag in my remote either.. either before or after 106R.. So I guess there must be 2 of us without the problem..

+1

Mine was laggy after the update but a reset of the DVR+ took care of it.

post #3610 of 4926 Old 05-16-2014, 12:57 PM

When I watch Vudu on the DVR+, I get intermittent jitter in the image. I have FiOS Internet and my connection is rock solid and fast. I have no problems with Vudu on my Roku.

Is anyone else seeing this jitter problem with Vudu on the DVR+? Is anyone using Vudu on the DVR+ and NOT having this problem?

Thanks!

post #3611 of 4926 Old 05-16-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post

106R or any other firmware update will never be able to correct for the wrong guide information being supplied by Rovi. However, I'm still getting missed recordings even when the episode is showing in the guide. I just noticed that a program that is scheduled to be recorded was showing in the guide but the episode did not show up in the Scheduled Recordings screen or as Pending in the DVR Recording History screen until I  selected it in the Guide and choose "Update Name Search". According to my STB Health screen under Technical Info, Rovi is schedule to complete its daily update in a couple hours, so maybe it would have caught it then.

Your guide and scheduler don't have a "new only" option. I might suggest keeping a log of the missed shows with name, time, day of week and if new. The guide on my TiVo is not very good either. I've learned it has a problem with "new only", like with no indicating MOTIVE as new since it started season 2 in Canada in March. It doesn't like midnight and hates The Daily Show. Knowing what bugs it has, has kept me from missing shows.

Rovi supplies tvguide.com. TMS supplies Tivo.

post #3612 of 4926 Old 05-16-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I've learned it has a problem with "new only", like with no indicating MOTIVE as new since it started season 2 in Canada in March.
Thanks for the inadvertent heads-up. I just set the Motive season pass last night for new-only and didn't bother checking the ToDo list. After reading your post I checked and it wasn't there. Had to reset it to New+Repeat.

thanks again

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3613 of 4926 Old 05-16-2014, 03:41 PM

A huge issue I have with the Channel Master DVR+ that I just got is that it has a very very very poor tuner in it.  Everyone talks about TV signal strength (actually it should be signal quality which is signal strength / noise.  Everyone also talks about antennas etc and yes they are important.  What if you have a good antenna, clean cables etc and you still do not get the channels you expect to get?  The issue is with the ATSC tuner.  Each television as well as tuner card and DVR has it's own tuner and they are all different in quality.  For example....  I live in downtown Toronto and have a clear line of site to the lakefront so I get a relatively good Buffalo signal.  With the SAME antenna, same line (no splitters) I run to different tuners.  On my Sony TV I get 21 channels scanned.  In my Samsung TV I get 13 and on my Channel Master DVR+ it only picks up a whopping 9 !!  This is pathetic that they have such a poor tuner in their box.  

A bit about pre-amps:  

I tried a Channel Master amp (they suggested this) and I get LESS channels.  So did some investigation and their amp has a NOISE addition of 3 db.  Remember from above that signal quality is the ratio of signal strength to noise... no wonder I got less channels.  I am currently looking at getting a LOW NOISE amplifier and seeing if that makes any difference.  You should also try to get a LOW noise amp that can take care of multi-path issues.  This is where the signal bounces around office buildings or other structures and arrives at your antenna slightly out sync with the direct signal.  Check out the spec of "Noise Figure"  and the lower the number the better the amp.  

Notch Filters...

I am also looking into getting a notch filter (or filter trap) that filters FM signals (I live really close to the CN Tower in Toronto and it has FM transmitters on it as well as TV).  I am also looking at getting a adjustable Notch Filter that I can filter out (reduce the signal) of specific channels that are close to the weak signals.  For example if a weak signal is channel 33 and a strong local channel is at channel 35 and it can be too strong when trying to get the weaker channel.  It's like trying to see a flash light when it it shining at your while you are looking at a spot light - the flash light gets overwhelmed by the spot light.

Here is my theory.......

Good directional antenna and good cables (hones in on the originating antenna), then filter out FM signals which cause noise, and filter out (reduces the signal strength) high signal local channel (which also causes noise) and then I can use a LOW noise pre-amp to amplify the signals.  I hope this all works.  

What are your thoughts about what I am trying to do?

Thanks

post #3614 of 4926 Old 05-16-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Thanks for the inadvertent heads-up. I just set the Motive season pass last night for new-only and didn't bother checking the ToDo list. After reading your post I checked and it wasn't there. Had to reset it to New+Repeat.

thanks again

Glad to help. It repeats on Sunday. SyFy was able to synchronize Continuum this season.

post #3615 of 4926 Old 05-16-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:

Glad to help. It repeats on Sunday. SyFy was able to synchronize Continuum this season.
Yeah, I noticed. When I set the season pass for new+repeat it set to record the Wed ep 1 and skipped the Sun repeat -- go figure, smarter than we give it credit for some times.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3616 of 4926 Old 05-17-2014, 06:23 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 63
^^^
That's because it will record "reruns", but not record again (a second time) shows that are already on your hard drive.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
post #3617 of 4926 Old 05-17-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post

i did just indeed update to 106R just yesterday after setting it up. and i am connected to the internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by  P Smith

better if the DVR will be connected to Internet smile.gif not you, hehe.

Nice to see a little humor in here!

My best friend is my PAL
post #3618 of 4926 Old 05-17-2014, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48

I think you's get better and more informed answers if you posted this to the right thread, for starters:

the CM DVR+ thread if it relates specifically to that box,

or to one of the technical general-reception threads if it relates to that.

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #3619 of 4926 Old 05-17-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Rovi supplies tvguide.com. TMS supplies Tivo.

There are no NHL Hockey playoffs tonight on my local CBC channel, but that's what my DVR+ Rovi Guide and Zap2it are showing. My TV Guide iPad app, however, correctly shows the re-scheduled programming. I also checked PSIP on another tuner and it shows the correct programming.

post #3620 of 4926 Old 05-17-2014, 11:51 PM

Has anyone else seen this (or checked for it)?........

New glitch to report (in fact, two for the price of one!).....please don't shoot the messenger!......

I started fast forwarding a recording. Video froze (still frame) but bar graph continued normally!
This occurred seven out of ten times (functioned normally the other three attempts).
Then, all of a sudden, it did the exact opposite! The bar graph froze and the video advanced normally!
This occurred less frequently. I was able to duplicate it twice in ten attempts.
Tried cold reboot and factory reset, to no avail! Tested on four shows (different channels, different days and times).
Same result!
Wanted to rule out as much as possible prior to posting this.
Is this a new discovery? Has anyone seen this as of yet ? (If so, I haven't read about it).

Update: The frozen video (while bar graph continues normally) occurs in reverse as well. Noticed this on same recordings, as well as three others (where it occurred only in reverse).
post #3621 of 4926 Old 05-18-2014, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
On my Sony TV I get 21 channels scanned. In my Samsung TV I get 13 and on my Channel Master DVR+ it only picks up a whopping 9 !!

On my LG LCD, on my cheap Element LCD and on my Hauppauge PC tuner I uses in my HTPC, they all scan and come up with the exact same number of channels pretty much every time, so I do find it odd you see such drastic differences with your devices. Is it possible your CM DVR+ just has a bad ATSC tuner?
post #3622 of 4926 Old 05-18-2014, 04:38 AM

I hadn't seen the "new only" feature, how do I access that?

Does the device have to be on to record? Meaning will it fire up at the recorded time to record the show? My kids turn it off all the dang time.
post #3623 of 4926 Old 05-18-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoisierdoc View Post

I hadn't seen the "new only" feature, how do I access that?

Does the device have to be on to record? Meaning will it fire up at the recorded time to record the show? My kids turn it off all the dang time.

Forgive me for not making it clearer the guide schedule of "new only" is a TiVo option. It works 90% of the time. Another feature to add is "weekly" or "daily" that includes a start date. TVGOS had that (from Rovi). Everybody has their wish lists.

post #3624 of 4926 Old 05-18-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
I live in downtown Toronto
Quote:
I tried a Channel Master amp (they suggested this) and I get LESS channels.
You answered your own question. You are getting bombed by the CN tower and all the other RF (non TV & radio)

Quote:
I am also looking at getting a adjustable Notch Filter that I can filter out (reduce the signal) of specific channels that are close to the weak signals.

You can try TinLee, but you are talking about really BIG bucks;
http://www.tinlee.com/bandpass_filters.php?active=3#NF7

Sounds as that DVR+ overloads easily.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #3625 of 4926 Old 05-18-2014, 08:39 AM

Hello everyone. I'm a new DVR+ owner who decided to stop lurking on this forum and join it. I've read many, but not all of the posts. Such a large number of posts with quite a few about Tivos, Dish, etc. make it difficult for someone to find Channel Master DVR+ related info if they weren't following the 121 pages as they were created. Just an observation.

I've had the DVR+ for about a month and the biggest problem I've encountered is delays using the remote. It's most pronounced when working with the Guide - moving up & down through channels, back & forth through time slots and selecting channels to watch or record. I've also had delays just entering a channel # to change channels. I jut performed a factory reset per recommendations from this forum. It's mostly more responsive now although I noticed a few delays as I was navigating through the guide to set up my recording schedules again. It would pause for 20 seconds every now and then as I was trying to move ahead 24 hrs to schedule my next show. Perhaps it was pausing to retrieve additional program information. I am on firmware version 106R, connected to the Internet and receive Rovi program information.

Like others on this forum, there are changes I could sure use like recording only new programs and moving more quickly through the guide. I've had systems that used channel Up/Down to move a full page up or down in the guide and FF/Rew to move 24 hrs forward or back.

Looking forward to more interaction with everyone and updates from CM.

post #3626 of 4926 Old 05-18-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoisierdoc View Post

The DVR+ doesn't really turn off - it just goes into standby. And yes, it will record programs while in standby mode.
post #3627 of 4926 Old 05-18-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperWA View Post

The DVR+ doesn't really turn off - it just goes into standby. And yes, it will record programs while in standby mode.

When the DVR+ is turned "off" it goes into standby and the bright blue LED changes to dim blue. However, when a recording is in progress in standby mode, the dim blue LED does not change to dim red as it should. This was supposed to be fixed in the 106R update, but it was not.

post #3628 of 4926 Old 05-18-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post

When the DVR+ is turned "off" it goes into standby and the bright blue LED changes to dim blue. However, when a recording is in progress in standby mode, the dim blue LED does not change to dim red as it should. This was supposed to be fixed in the 106R update, but it was not.

I'm more concerned about actual recordings than I am about bells and whistles like LED lights.
post #3629 of 4926 Old 05-18-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danusmc View Post

I've had the DVR+ for about a month and the biggest problem I've encountered is delays using the remote. It's most pronounced when working with the Guide - moving up & down through channels, back & forth through time slots and selecting channels to watch or record.

Like others on this forum, there are changes I could sure use like recording only new programs and moving more quickly through the guide. I've had systems that used channel Up/Down to move a full page up or down in the guide and FF/Rew to move 24 hrs forward or back.

How many channels are you receiving? I receive about 17 channels and have not had problems with the DVR+ responding to commands from the remote. If you have a lot of channels, try deleting the ones you don't use and see if that helps.

If you just want to see what's on other channels at the same time as you're viewing a program, instead of using the Guide button, you can use the "up" and "down" functions on the Navigation control to see whats on the other channels.

post #3630 of 4926 Old 05-18-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperWA View Post

I'm more concerned about actual recordings than I am about bells and whistles like LED lights.

I would certainly consider it a useful feature if I could tell that my DVR+ hadn't missed a scheduled recording, without having to turn it on.

pachinko likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page