210Likes

post #3781 of 5219 Old 05-29-2014, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Despite their recommendations, I too would have felt uncomfortable using a USB powered portable HDD on the DVR+. I would have gone for an AV drive from the start. The WD My Book AV is a good choice for a prepackaged external drive. My choice would have been to buy an OEM AV drive like a 2TB Pipeline and an external self-powered enclosure. An AV drive is made to supply/accept multiple HD streams and run 24x7 for the life of the drive.

The original AV drive in my first TiVo and the external WD DVR Expander I put on it have run 24x7 for the last 5 yr with no signs of failure.

.....So which drive are you using with your DVR+?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 5219 Old 05-29-2014, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

Contradictions abound here!
However......what confuses me (and others for certain) is..... why would CM recommend these (supposedly) inferior Seagate "portable" drives if their performance with the DVR+ is questionable??
Are they so "profit driven" that they would knowingly promote and sell a drive that actually causes problems with video/audio stability??
If that's truly the case, then, quite frankly, we haven't "bad-mouthed" them enough!!
If what you're stating is true and the WD full size drive is superior, then CM is totally wrong in recommending and selling "portable" drives!!
True or false?.....Can you (or anyone else) argue this point??

You really are something else. I don't know what you are reading into people's posts but I did not state anything of the sort.

My beef with Seagate comes from multiple drive failures in the past, including warranty replacements. Whether or not Seagate has improved is no concern of mine--I won't buy them.

As for laptop HD performance with the DVR+ being questionable? Heck if I know. I do know that in general, the throughput of desktop drives is superior and they usually come with much more buffer memory. A dedicated AV drive stands to reason as being optimal. I did not say the WD AV HD I am using is superior. Just that for me, it flat out works--just as many other drives would probably work.

Totally happy with my DVR+ after the 106R update. You can argue that your DVR+ is problematic with any HD. Fine. Makes me wonder why you kept it after the initial 30 days and why you haven't sent it in already if you feel your particular unit is to blame--it is after all covered under warranty.
Kelson, osu1991 and MKS13 like this.
post #3783 of 5219 Old 05-29-2014, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishmosh View Post

The theory that CM only recommends HDs they sell to boost sales is downright hilarious! I don't know if you guys are serious or so jaded that you will come up with anything to bad-mouth CM.

However......what confuses me (and others for certain) is..... why would CM recommend these (supposedly) inferior Seagate "portable" drives if their performance with the DVR+ is questionable??

Unfortunately it seems that several on here are using AVS as a forum to bad mouth CM at every chance they get.

Anyone looking for user information on the DVR+ might be better served reading the reviews on Amazon. With the exception of one or 2 individuals it does not appear that they have an axe to grind against CM. But be fair and check out all the reviews and also the comments and replys to the reviews.

As to the "inferior " Seagate drives, I am not having problems with my 1TB drive.

osu1991 and Theducksfan2010 like this.
post #3784 of 5219 Old 05-29-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:

You really are something else. I don't know what you are reading into people's posts but I did not state anything of the sort.

Totally happy with my DVR+ after the 106R update. You can argue that your DVR+ is problematic with any HD. Fine. Makes me wonder why you kept it after the initial 30 days and why you haven't sent it in already if you feel your particular unit is to blame--it is after all covered under warranty.

On the subject of "reading into people's posts", at what point (in the post you quoted) did I "argue that my DVR+ is problematic with any HD" (actually, it's HDD)??
I simply can't make that argument, since I haven't tested every EHD and since I've always made reference only to the drives that I (and a friend) have used!
You obviously completely missed my point in the process of making assumptions and robotically condemning my opinion (which isn't simply based on concocted theories but on facts).
Is it not factual that both yourself (and other's here) seem to prefer non-USB powered full size drives for the DVR+??
Is it not factual that CM recommends USB powered "portable" drives (and that numerous people have reported issues with them)??
To some, CM is so worth defending, the fact that they're promoting drives that numerous users have had problems with goes unnoticed!
It seems as if (in general), in the process of defending CM, there are numerous contradictions and that certain individuals can't seem to "see the forest from the trees"!!
post #3785 of 5219 Old 05-29-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post

Unfortunately it seems that several on here are using AVS as a forum to bad mouth CM at every chance they get.
Anyone looking for user information on the DVR+ might be better served reading the reviews on Amazon. With the exception of one or 2 individuals it does not appear that they have an axe to grind against CM. But be fair and check out all the reviews and also the comments and replys to the reviews.
As to the "inferior " Seagate drives, I am not having problems with my 1TB drive.

No "axe to grind"!......
Questioning why CM recommends potentially inferior drives (relative to numerous complaints) for use with their units isn't simply "bad-mouthing" them!
Being confused as to why they recommend potentially inferior drives (based upon numerous complaints) for use with their units isn't simply "bad-mouthing" them!
In reality.....I'm questioning certain issues that they should be taken to task over ......not simply "bad-mouthing" them!
Let's put this into perspective. Should we (at least some of us) be this defensive of a company that (at the very least) has a questionable (I didn't say inferior.....calm down!) product??
post #3786 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 05:01 AM

I think it is factual that those who label "broken record" may in fact be correct.
Is it factual that the logic is a little fuzzy?
Is it factual that the argument presented is hard to follow because there are no facts presented, only conspiracy theories?
smile.gif
partsman_ba and MKS13 like this.
post #3787 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:

Several??
Quote:
Anyone looking for user information on the DVR+ might be better served reading the reviews on Amazon.
It is sad that the signal/noise ratio of this once fine thread has gotten so low.
osu1991 and jamez68 like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3788 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post

I'm using a 2TB WD drive, haven't had any problems with it.

I'm using a Toshiba 2TB drive and so far, so good.
post #3789 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 07:59 AM

I am one for whom the response to the remote, especially the the Guide and DVR recordings screens, got really awful after the 106R firmware update. I would sometimes have to wait 30 seconds for a response. Well, last night, I bit the bullet and did a Factory Reset (without a warm or cold reboot) and it seems to have made a huge difference.
post #3790 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipper View Post

Only thing that bugs me is that they say that it is no problem that the hard drive runs continuously on the DVR+. I've been trying to find out if it would cause me any problem to pull the USB plug it if I don't have anything qued up to record. They say their engineers tell them it's not a prob for the thing to spin 24/7 like it does, but common sense says it is wearing out. If I do eventually lose it, maybe solid state drives will be more affordable. 

When I first set up my DVR+ I used a leftover 1TB desktop hard drive and an external USB enclosure. I can say with 100% certainty that the drive spun down after a certain period of time when the DVR was in standby. I know this because my GF complained about the noise of the hard drive spinning up every time we turned the DVR+ on. A couple days ago I received a USB powered portable drive and I can't definitively say whether it spins down because it's completely silent. I've noticed no difference in performance between the desktop drive and the portable drive.
post #3791 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my factory reset provided perfect results with the guide lag for day or two. Now the lag is better, but shows up when turned on; press guide, nothing happens for about two minutes. Once the guide comes, the lag is come and go. This is usually always at start up/turn on of the device.
post #3792 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakep_82 View Post

I know this because my GF complained about the noise of the hard drive spinning up every time we turned the DVR+ on.
I feel your pain. Their hair dryers can wake the dead and blow leaves off the lawn from a second floor window and yet they complain about a little whirring you can barely hear.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3793 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

The theory that CM only recommends HDs they sell to boost sales is downright hilarious! I don't know if you guys are serious or so jaded that you will come up with anything to bad-mouth CM.

That said, I am no fan of Seagate and will never buy another drive from them so long as I live!!!

I use the WD My Book AV, aka "DVR Expander", 1TB. Works great. The previous older laptop drive I was using (because I was too cheap to buy a new one when I got the DVR+) caused intermittent stuttering. HD selection definitely makes a big difference.

I have not doubt the WD My Book AV will be recommended when CM starts selling this model.... bwahahaaa! Even better, maybe CM should start selling HDs that they don't recommend.

I found this from a google for WD My Book AV:

http://www.cnet.com/videos/wd-mybook-av-tv/

Does it have software for spin down like Seagate?
post #3794 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer86 View Post

Well, last night, I bit the bullet and did a Factory Reset (without a warm or cold reboot) and it seems to have made a huge difference.

Why are some (including yourself) so reluctant to do a factory reboot?
Why all the drama?
.....It's actually no big deal and may very well be a good practice from time to time (perhaps to clear away the cobwebs)!
post #3795 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:

I feel your pain. Their hair dryers can wake the dead and blow leaves off the lawn from a second floor window and yet they complain about a little whirring you can barely hear.

......That's funny!
post #3796 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:

When I first set up my DVR+ I used a leftover 1TB desktop hard drive and an external USB enclosure. I can say with 100% certainty that the drive spun down after a certain period of time when the DVR was in standby. I know this because my GF complained about the noise of the hard drive spinning up every time we turned the DVR+ on. A couple days ago I received a USB powered portable drive and I can't definitively say whether it spins down because it's completely silent. I've noticed no difference in performance between the desktop drive and the portable drive.

Any video glitches with either drive??
post #3797 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post

my factory reset provided perfect results with the guide lag for day or two. Now the lag is better, but shows up when turned on; press guide, nothing happens for about two minutes. Once the guide comes, the lag is come and go. This is usually always at start up/turn on of the device.

I've done multiple factory reboots and the guide navigation (since 106R) has been better but still way too sluggish!!
However, it only takes about 10 seconds to appear on the screen.
.....Two minutes!!......Yikes!!!!
post #3798 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post

I found this from a google for WD My Book AV:

http://www.cnet.com/videos/wd-mybook-av-tv/

Does it have software for spin down like Seagate?

Insofar as I know, all (current) WD
pre-fabricated drives can use the spin down utility.
post #3799 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Several??
It is sad that the signal/noise ratio of this once fine thread has gotten so low.
May I make a suggestion that will ultimately work. If there are writers that you become tired of reading then just skip their posts and do NOT respond. They will eventually give up if no one responds. I have given up on one in particular and feel I have missed nothing. In fact it is much quicker to read the thread. Good reading! wink.gif
kwg, osu1991, jakep_82 and 3 others like this.
post #3800 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Why are some (including yourself) so reluctant to do a factory reboot?
Why all the drama?
.....It's actually no big deal and may very well be a good practice from time to time (perhaps to clear away the cobwebs)!
Well it's not a huge deal, but it takes quite a while for it to scan all the channels, and then I have to delete all the ones I don't want (one at a time of course), plus re-establishing the internet connection an a few other things. I also wasn't convinced that it would help with the slow response problem because some said it seemed to do nothing for the problem, but it was so bad for me, I decided to give it a try.
post #3801 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1 View Post

May I make a suggestion that will ultimately work. If there are writers that you become tired of reading then just skip their posts and do NOT respond. They will eventually give up if no one responds. I have given up on one in particular and feel I have missed nothing. In fact it is much quicker to read the thread. Good reading! wink.gif

I'm guessing I blocked the same person a while back, and now the thread is much better to read.
kwg and osu1991 like this.
post #3802 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:

I'm guessing I blocked the same person a while back, and now the thread is much better to read.

I didn't know about that feature. Thank you!
post #3803 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:

AKA......denial!
post #3804 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Quote:

I didn't know about that feature. Thank you!

Looks like I just joined the movement..

osu1991 likes this.
post #3805 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

May I make a suggestion that will ultimately work. If there are writers that you become tired of reading then just skip their posts and do NOT respond.
A good suggestion. I have made it myself here. Hopefully your attempt will meet with larger success.
osu1991 likes this.

- kelson h

post #3806 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Are they so "profit driven" that they would knowingly promote and sell a drive that actually causes problems with video/audio stability??
If that's truly the case, then, quite frankly, we haven't "bad-mouthed" them enough!!
If what you're stating is true and the WD full size drive is superior, then CM is totally wrong in recommending and selling "portable" drives!!
True or false?.....Can you (or anyone else) argue this point??

Contradictions abound here because most comments are based the experience of a single person and are mainly opinion based.

My first hard drive was a $1000 20MB external Seagate (yes, twenty megabytes) monster which sounded like a jet engine when it started up. I never liked it, but it never failed to work. Until recently I always avoided Seagate drives. However, when I bought my first USB powered drive, it was a Seagate because of the reviews I had read about Seagate and WD portable drives. I've got at least seven 2.5 inch USB powered drives from at least three manufacturers, including one of the Seagates recommenced by CM, purchased recently for my DVR+. They have all worked just fine, some for several years now, and I don't get video glitches on my DVR+.

Rather than bad mouthing CM, which isn't likely to accomplish much, lets focus on helping those who are having problems. I've always thought that was one of the main points of this forum.

I wouldn't get too concerned about full sized vs USB powered drives, but I'm sure any hard drive manufacturer would be pleased if you bought one of their more expensive full size drives instead of a less expensive portable drive. 

post #3807 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post

Contradictions abound here because most comments are based the experience of a single person and are mainly opinion based.
My first hard drive was a $1000 20MB external Seagate (yes, twenty megabytes) monster which sounded like a jet engine when it started up. I never liked it, but it never failed to work. Until recently I always avoided Seagate drives. However, when I bought my first USB powered drive, it was a Seagate because of the reviews I had read about Seagate and WD portable drives. I've got at least seven 2.5 inch USB powered drives from at least three manufacturers, including one of the Seagates recommenced by CM, purchased recently for my DVR+. They have all worked just fine, some for several years now, and I don't get video glitches on my DVR+.
Rather than bad mouthing CM, which isn't likely to accomplish much, lets focus on helping those who are having problems. I've always thought that was one of the main points of this forum.
I wouldn't get too concerned about full sized vs USB powered drives, but I'm sure any hard drive manufacturer would be pleased if you bought one of their more expensive full size drives instead of a less expensive portable drive. 

As I've stated previously, it's not my goal to simply "bad-mouth" CM. That's the narrow-minded, robotic interpretation here (unfortunately)!
However, I have lost a great deal of patience attempting to compensate for, what has been,
a problematic unit from the outset!!
Try this....try that.....try this.....try that.
......Quite frankly, it's time consuming, tedious and very frustrating to be doing beta-testing on a unit that was rushed to market and still isn't ready for prime time!!
Ultimitely, perhaps I'm too patient and perhaps I should've returned it for a refund,
but.....as I've also stated previously, I still feel that it has potential.
When they release a FW update that not only does what it should but doesn't actually create additional problems with the unit, I'll be very happy to change my tune!
Until such time.....I'm not going to defend this unit (certainly to the extent that others have here)......sorry!
BTW, speaking negatively here about a product does accomplish more than you may think it does (especially since they're supposedly monitoring this forum).
Fortunately for them, I haven't gone on social media (since, contrary to the beliefs of certain narrow-minded individuals here), I actually do want this product to succeed!
I want to like this product (and I'm not alone in these opinions)!
......so, get the job done, Channel Master!!
Thank you!
post #3808 of 5219 Old 05-30-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Looks like I just joined the movement..

The denial movement......congratulations!
post #3809 of 5219 Old 05-31-2014, 02:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 58
post #3810 of 5219 Old 05-31-2014, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post

For those who haven't seen it, TechHive has done a review of the Channel Master DVR+.

Thanks for the link!.....
Unfortunately, whoever wrote this "review" is providing misinformation regarding certain features and functions of the unit.....to the extent that they didn't even realize that there's a perfectly functional record button (yes, folks, that bad)!
It reaches the point where it could be surmised that they were basing it on another review, product documentation or someone else's experience, as opposed to they're own actual hands-on use!
Either that or they're confused about the unit and shouldn't be writing this "review" in the first place!
Some of the information regarding features and functions provided in this "review" are somewhat misleading, generic and worthless!
Anyone basing a purchase on this "review" will find some surprises in store when they put the unit into use!
On a positive note, they'll (hopefully) be pleasant surprises!
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page