118Likes

post #3931 of 4736 Old 06-07-2014, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I think that is the point of the whole discussion.

The counter-point is that it may be overkill for the average user, and that a 3 TB "multi-purpose" EHD can be had for the same price as the previously mentioned 1 TB AV EHD.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 4736 Old 06-07-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

If you think about it a second -- the fact that you could use wireless to update to 108R means the wireless problem was actually fixed in 106R. smile.gif

Well, you know, I was sure hoping it would have been fixed with the 106R, but I didn't know for sure until today... smile.gif

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
post #3933 of 4736 Old 06-08-2014, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperWA View Post

For those reporting better results with the AV EHDs, that's cool . . . . Perhaps those who routinely experience stutter even when receiving strong signals should look into this option...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I think that is the point of the whole discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperWA View Post

The counter-point is that it may be overkill for the average user, and that a 3 TB "multi-purpose" EHD can be had for the same price as the previously mentioned 1 TB AV EHD.

Since it is difficult to find the relevant specifications to compare multi-purpose EHDs, a good starting point is still the list of drives tested and recommended by CM. 

post #3934 of 4736 Old 06-08-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post

Since it is difficult to find the relevant specifications to compare multi-purpose EHDs, a good starting point is still the list of drives tested and recommended by CM. 

"Tested and recommended"?......
Think about it.....could they have "tested and recommended" (better yet, sold) an (approx.) $150.00 drive for this unit?
How many DVR+/EHD combinations would be sold at (approx.) $400.00?.....not to mention the potential need for an antenna and wi-fi adaptor!.....certainly not enough to keep this product marketable!
Had it not been for the fact that a 1TB drive was obtainable for $60.00 - $100.00 (CM's inflated price), this product would have almost no potential!
Perhaps A/V drives are better suited for this purpose.....perhaps not.....but to take CM's "recommendations" too seriously (or influence others to) may not really be justified!
.....since they're based upon marketability and profitability!
post #3935 of 4736 Old 06-08-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperWA View Post

The 1TB DVR expander is a nice AV drive for someone who wants something that is ready to use out of the box. For the people willing to get their hands dirty with a bare drive, a bare 1TB Seagate Pipeline AV drive can be bought from Amazon for only $55. Add a low-cost USB enclosure or better yet an external dock and you are all set. If you would rather, the 2TB pipeline goes for $96.

In contrast, the 1TB 7200 rpm Barracuda goes for $50 and the 2TB Barracuda goes for $87.50 so claims of a huge price premium for AV drives is largely exaggerated.
osu1991 likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3936 of 4736 Old 06-08-2014, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm reading here that the remote lag is much improved for some people with the 108R update. For me, it still seems pretty bad most of the time. Anyone else still have remote response issues with 108R?
post #3937 of 4736 Old 06-08-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:

The 1TB DVR expander is a nice AV drive for someone who wants something that is ready to use out of the box. For the people willing to get their hands dirty with a bare drive, a bare 1TB Seagate Pipeline AV drive can be bought from Amazon for only $55. Add a low-cost USB enclosure or better yet an external dock and you are all set. If you would rather, the 2TB pipeline goes for $96.

In contrast, the 1TB 7200 rpm Barracuda goes for $50 and the 2TB Barracuda goes for $87.50 so claims of a huge price premium for AV drives is largely exaggerated.

True.....if you're referring to "techno geeks".
I'm referring to the average consumer (that this unit was originally intended for).
As a general rule, they're not about to deal with bare drives and enclosures. For the most part, they would supplement the DVR+ with an out of the box A/V EHD, which is more costlier and would make the DVR+ less attractive.
Hence the cheaper "portable" drive "recommendation" by CM.
OTAhead likes this.
post #3938 of 4736 Old 06-09-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana View Post

I'm reading here that the remote lag is much improved for some people with the 108R update. For me, it still seems pretty bad most of the time. Anyone else still have remote response issues with 108R?

Remote lag is completely gone on mine now. After the 108R update I noticed some intermittent lag at first, but I believe it was related to guide updates or some other background process. A day or two after the update I had zero lag, and the occasional video glitches I was seeing right after the update have disappeared too.
post #3939 of 4736 Old 06-09-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

Lastly, the DVR+ is an Echostar unit, and Echostar has always made an effort to be agnostic by not having demanding external hard drive specs.
you are not experienced in e* tight requirement for DVR's drives frown.gif

they have not long enough STRICT list (APPROVED)... search Internet for that

while they pass a burden of selecting working device for EHD in USB enclosures to innocent users like you wink.gif
post #3940 of 4736 Old 06-09-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

you are not experienced in e* tight requirement for DVR's drives frown.gif

they have not long enough STRICT list (APPROVED)... search Internet for that

while they pass a burden of selecting working device for EHD in USB enclosures to innocent users like you wink.gif

First of all, you're making an assumption and a judgement, neither of which are correct. I was a Dish customer when they first added EHD support, and I am familiar with their EHD requirements.

Secondly, you attempt to assert a point that you do not cite references for, instead passing that burden along.

"Approved" in this context simply means tested. Obviously, it would be next to impossible to test all available EHDs...

I found this post from a Dish CSR on Yahoo Answers: "There are a huge number of External Hard Drives that are compatible...Any EHD that has it own external power supply, USB2.0, Minimum size of 50GB, Maximum size of 2TB for DVR receivers/1TB for non-DVR receivers."

This info is a little out of date re the max size but it does support my point that Dish/Echostar have always had very forgiving EHD requirements.

post #3941 of 4736 Old 06-09-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana View Post

I was having huge delay issues with the 106R (frequently greater than 20-30 second delays), but 108R has tamed them considerably.  I am still getting performance lag here and there, but overall a big improvement.  The performance lags seem to be more prevalent when accessing the guide after a long time on one channel (greater than 30 minutes) or resuming OTA viewing after playing a recording.  These scenarios make me think it might be that the unit is trying to gain/update PSIP data to build the guide, but again, I'm no engineer.  Once I begin using the guide in search of the next channel to watch, the performance lag seems to steadily disappear over the course of a couple minutes.  I'm not willing to delete the non-Rovi channels, as I watch things on them all the time, so I'll deal with this now.  

Overall, I'm a happy camper with 108R, but it could still use a little improvement on the guide - not even close to the performance I had with DirecTV or TWC when I had them.

post #3942 of 4736 Old 06-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
"..."There are a huge number of External Hard Drives that are compatible...Any EHD that has it's own external power supply, USB2.0, Minimum size of 50GB, Maximum size of 2TB for DVR receivers/1TB for non-DVR receivers."..."

This is in support of my contention that there can be a USB 2.0/3.0 power requirement incompatibility. Don't ignore this if you are having ANY problems during recording or playback.
post #3943 of 4736 Old 06-09-2014, 02:48 PM

Liked: 11
I am trying to find a comparison to the channel master and tablo dvr. They both have some fundamental differences in price and how they are connected. However from functionality and performance has anyone tried both and performed one over the other. I like the free guide on channel master but with tablo you can buy one unit for the whole home. Anyway just curious what perspective ppl might have
post #3944 of 4736 Old 06-09-2014, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs222 View Post

I was having huge delay issues with the 106R (frequently greater than 20-30 second delays), but 108R has tamed them considerably.  I am still getting performance lag here and there, but overall a big improvement.  The performance lags seem to be more prevalent when accessing the guide after a long time on one channel (greater than 30 minutes) or resuming OTA viewing after playing a recording.  These scenarios make me think it might be that the unit is trying to gain/update PSIP data to build the guide, but again, I'm no engineer.  Once I begin using the guide in search of the next channel to watch, the performance lag seems to steadily disappear over the course of a couple minutes.  I'm not willing to delete the non-Rovi channels, as I watch things on them all the time, so I'll deal with this now.  

Overall, I'm a happy camper with 108R, but it could still use a little improvement on the guide - not even close to the performance I had with DirecTV or TWC when I had them.

I think you are right about the source of problem being that the guide is slow to respond because Rovi is initially having trouble processing PSIP data for the guide. That would be consistent with the guide becoming more responsive after a couple minutes.

post #3945 of 4736 Old 06-09-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNaudioguy View Post

I am trying to find a comparison to the channel master and tablo dvr. They both have some fundamental differences in price and how they are connected. However from functionality and performance has anyone tried both and performed one over the other. I like the free guide on channel master but with tablo you can buy one unit for the whole home. Anyway just curious what perspective ppl might have

They are pretty different beasts. The DVR+ is a traditional DVR, in that it connects directly to your TV with a cable (HDMI) and has a remote control. You record your programs and then watch them on your TV at your leisure. A Tablo is designed to let you record programs and then stream them to a smartphone, tablet, or other computing device. It doesn't interact with your TV at all, so the two devices serve rather different markets.
post #3946 of 4736 Old 06-09-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

A Tablo is designed to let you record programs and then stream them to a smartphone, tablet, or other computing device. It doesn't interact with your TV at all, so the two devices serve rather different markets.

Different approaches not markets...

Theducksfan2010 likes this.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3947 of 4736 Old 06-09-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald1800 View Post

"..."There are a huge number of External Hard Drives that are compatible...Any EHD that has it's own external power supply, USB2.0, Minimum size of 50GB, Maximum size of 2TB for DVR receivers/1TB for non-DVR receivers."..."

This is in support of my contention that there can be a USB 2.0/3.0 power requirement incompatibility. Don't ignore this if you are having ANY problems during recording or playback.

Just curious.....
Where does this quote originate from?
......Thanks!
post #3948 of 4736 Old 06-09-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Different approaches not markets...

It doesn't seem like there's much overlap between people who still use televisions and people who watch all their videos on tiny mobile screens, at least if you believe all the unsubstantiated "cord cutting is taking the world by storm" articles that keep popping up.
post #3949 of 4736 Old 06-09-2014, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

They are pretty different beasts. The DVR+ is a traditional DVR, in that it connects directly to your TV with a cable (HDMI) and has a remote control. You record your programs and then watch them on your TV at your leisure. A Tablo is designed to let you record programs and then stream them to a smartphone, tablet, or other computing device. It doesn't interact with your TV at all, so the two devices serve rather different markets.

There's a definite overlap, granted, I do use my Simple.Tv to watch tv, DVRd shows on my phone or tablet/laptop, but I also use it on my tv via Roku and Chromecast. I know people who set up a Simple.Tv in Fresno so they can watch all of the Fresno broadcast stations on their tv in Monterey. There is a overlap, maybe just not in your household.

Josh
post #3950 of 4736 Old 06-10-2014, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald1800 View Post #3942

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

Just curious.....
Where does this quote originate from?
......Thanks!

See post #3940 above.
post #3951 of 4736 Old 06-10-2014, 04:53 AM

Quote:

It doesn't seem like there's much overlap between people who still use televisions and people who watch all their videos on tiny mobile screens, at least if you believe all the unsubstantiated "cord cutting is taking the world by storm" articles that keep popping up.
There for sure is an overlap. Let's take the mobile devices out of it for now. For purely watching tv which system is better at doing that? I already have a roku box so that is a sunk cost for me. So between channel master and tablo which has better stability, overall interface and user experience? I will say I am really impressed to see tablo replying to folks in their blog on this forum. Anyway, I haven't seen anyone do a head to head comparison on the tv viewing aspect of it.
post #3952 of 4736 Old 06-10-2014, 08:02 AM

It's a Western Digital 1T. Passport model I think. Very small and quiet, self contained with USB cable that was included. Works fine but I was suprised that it "humms" continuously. I'm learning here that this a normal thing to expect. I will see if I can connect to an options menu by plugging it into my computer. I was never given any set up options when I plugged it into the Channel Master. I just went from Western Digital package straight to the CM. It formatted it itself then made it active.

post #3953 of 4736 Old 06-10-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:

There for sure is an overlap. Let's take the mobile devices out of it for now. For purely watching tv which system is better at doing that? I already have a roku box so that is a sunk cost for me. So between channel master and tablo which has better stability, overall interface and user experience? I will say I am really impressed to see tablo replying to folks in their blog on this forum. Anyway, I haven't seen anyone do a head to head comparison on the tv viewing aspect of it.

While I don't have a Tablo or a Simple.tv, I do have a Roku and a DVR+. The DVR+ offers a traditional TV viewing experience, eg guide grid, channel surfing from channel up/down, etc. The Tablo or Simple.tv would act like any other "channel" on your Roku, eg each OTA channel would have an image you would click on to tune to that channel. Not terrible, but not a traditional viewing experience either. For my part, I like to channel surf when I'm zoning out, so the DVR+ was the better choice for me. That and no subscription fees.
post #3954 of 4736 Old 06-10-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:

While I don't have a Tablo or a Simple.tv, I do have a Roku and a DVR+. The DVR+ offers a traditional TV viewing experience, eg guide grid, channel surfing from channel up/down, etc. The Tablo or Simple.tv would act like any other "channel" on your Roku, eg each OTA channel would have an image you would click on to tune to that channel. Not terrible, but not a traditional viewing experience either. For my part, I like to channel surf when I'm zoning out, so the DVR+ was the better choice for me. That and no subscription fees.

Thanks for that insight. I was under the impression tablo also had the traditional guide experience for ota content. If not, I agree I like the guide as well and that would possibly be a deal breaker. I didn't know I needed the tablo channel on roku but assumed it would be the traditional guide.
post #3955 of 4736 Old 06-10-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:

So between channel master and tablo which has better stability, overall interface and user experience? I will say I am really impressed to see tablo replying to folks in their blog on this forum.

Something that Channel Master has chosen to avoid doing.....at least without disclosing that it's actually a company representative participating!
post #3956 of 4736 Old 06-10-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for that insight. I was under the impression tablo also had the traditional guide experience for ota content. If not, I agree I like the guide as well and that would possibly be a deal breaker. I didn't know I needed the tablo channel on roku but assumed it would be the traditional guide.

Tablo does have a guide, something like $4.99/month, $49/year, or $149/lifetime, and the lifetime is for YOUR life, not the machine's.

See this post.

|
|
|
post #3957 of 4736 Old 06-10-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipper View Post

It's a Western Digital 1T. Passport model I think. Very small and quiet, self contained with USB cable that was included. Works fine but I was suprised that it "humms" continuously. I'm learning here that this a normal thing to expect. I will see if I can connect to an options menu by plugging it into my computer. I was never given any set up options when I plugged it into the Channel Master. I just went from Western Digital package straight to the CM. It formatted it itself then made it active.

Not certain what WD drive you're using but the current "My Passport Ultra" portable drives spin down after they've been idle for 30 minutes. There would be no humming and the rear indicator light should flash consistently every 3 seconds (indicating that it's in "sleep" mode). This is the default (out of the box) for this particular WD drive.
The Seagate portable drives spin constantly by default.
post #3958 of 4736 Old 06-10-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Tablo does have a guide, something like $4.99/month, $49/year, or $149/lifetime, and the lifetime is for YOUR life, not the machine's.

See this post.

No, Tablo does not have a traditional guide grid. How could it? Think about the Roku limitations: the lack of buttons on the remote equals a lack of input options (no Channel up or Channel Down buttons for instance). The Roku programming language, Brightscript (a superset of Basic), isn't a true programming language - it's a macro language. I know because I've done some development on it. The end-user can see this because channels (read "apps") have the same basic "blocky" structure and progression - though some have implemented it better than others. I say all this even though I'm a confirmed Roku lover. The relatively simple programming platform has enabled the development of hundreds of channels after all.

Tablo has guide data. It would have to have guide data to be able to tell what's currently on, and so it would know when to record your shows. But it doesn't have a traditional guide, or a traditional viewing experience.

There's a quick video of the Tablo channel on Roku here. I think Tablo has done a nice job considering the inherent limitations of Roku, better than Simple.tv from what I've seen. Maybe that's changed though; the Simple.tv Roku interface was pretty basic at launch, and I haven't looked at it since.

Tablo's lifetime subscription is priced the same as Simple.tv's: $149. As you say, in each case the lifetime subscription is assigned to the user and not to the device - which is miles more progressive than TiVo (TiVo lifetime costs $499 and is assigned to a single unit). However, there is no subscription fee with the DVR+, and free is good.

post #3959 of 4736 Old 06-11-2014, 04:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134

Besides a Guide, Tablo has some features some may be interested in.

Tablo Features

howTabloWorks-featuresDiagram.jpg

Tablo DVR Features
  • Watch, pause and record live TV
  • Skip commercials
  • Schedule recordings
  • Manage existing recordings
  • Record up to 4 shows simultaneously
  • Watch on up to 6 devices simultaneously
  • Watch on PC/Mac or iPhone/Android smartphone via browser
  • Stream live AND recorded shows anywhere in the world
  • Streaming to TV via AppleTV/Roku/Chromecast*
  • iPad & Android app interface

Tablo DVR Hardware Features
  • 2 or 4 OTA ATSC tuners
  • WiFi included: 802.11n dual band 2.4 and 5Ghz with MIMO
  • 2 USB ports for flexible USB HD storage
  • No remote — controlled by tablet app

Tablo Electronic Program Guide (EPG) Subscription Features
  • 14 days of guide data
  • Rich cover art
  • Series and episode synopses
  • Schedule recordings by time, episode or series
  • Schedule full series recordings

|
|
|
post #3960 of 4736 Old 06-11-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 354
There is an active Tablo thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1499826/official-tablo-thread/0_100

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page