Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 133 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 318Likes

post #3961 of 5791 Old 06-12-2014, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anybody else feel like we are now in the Playskool version of Avsforum?

Last edited by Primestar31; 06-12-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 5791 Old 06-12-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I didn't expect it would get worse than Cuddler, but I've learned that things rarely meet my expectations.
post #3963 of 5791 Old 06-12-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Wow, this is a pretty big change. Not obvious to me how to get to first unread post of a thread. Will take a little getting used to but I'm finding the text is a tad larger which gets points from me - especially the text in the reply editing window.

Is this still the Huddler software?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3964 of 5791 Old 06-12-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Is this still the Huddler software?
No, vBulletin. There's an article on the site home page.

Chuck
post #3965 of 5791 Old 06-12-2014, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
New slim message area=LIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
Anybody else feel like we are now in the Playskool version of Avsforum?
Whatever it's called, I do appreciate the slim message area all the way down the page.

Now I don't have to keep pulling the bottom scroll bar to the left to see who wrote the message. Every time after the first four or so.

I hope whoever controls these page designs keeps the slim-page feature all the way down.

Cheers,
DawnSun
TheKrell likes this.
post #3966 of 5791 Old 06-12-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
...Not obvious to me how to get to first unread post of a thread...
Try this URL:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3&goto=newpost

but you need to be persistently logged in. Or, if you just logged in, use the link to first unread post in the dark grey bar at the top of any page (to the left of Thread Tools); this isn't present if there are no unread posts.

Note: that URL format stopped working when the board went to Huddler, but now the functionality is back. Hooray.

Last edited by frank70; 06-12-2014 at 01:42 PM.
post #3967 of 5791 Old 06-12-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Same software used by the TiVo Community Forum with a different layout.
post #3968 of 5791 Old 06-13-2014, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Amazing - even when the topic is forum changes, still the discussion gets steered back to TiVo.
TheKrell and artisticimaging like this.

I love the digital transition. The voices in my head just say 0 and 1 now.
post #3969 of 5791 Old 06-13-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman_ba View Post
Amazing - even when the topic is forum changes, still the discussion gets steered back to TiVo.
It's either that or HTPC. No thread is protected.
partsman_ba likes this.
post #3970 of 5791 Old 06-14-2014, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Red face 108R firmware

Well remote responding a little faster at least the record all programs with this name is working better

Oh Yeah the forum looks etc kind of sucks just a little It is a little harder to navigate on an iphone but ok on pc

Last edited by smintn; 06-14-2014 at 11:35 PM.
post #3971 of 5791 Old 06-15-2014, 12:16 PM

Liked: 35
Well, with the 108R update widely distributed AND the sudden drop in this forums activity, it appears that everyone is now happy with the DVR+ performance and convenience - everything suddenly got fixed! Wow, I am impressed.
post #3972 of 5791 Old 06-15-2014, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald1800 View Post
Well, with the 108R update widely distributed AND the sudden drop in this forums activity, it appears that everyone is now happy with the DVR+ performance and convenience - everything suddenly got fixed! Wow, I am impressed.
Yep, and only 5~ months after the DVR+ was released for sale.

Impressive.
post #3973 of 5791 Old 06-15-2014, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I'm still getting missed episodes that were set to record by name on one of my PSiP Channels whenever the DVR+ decides to reset itself and then Rovi fails to update the list of pending recordings.
post #3974 of 5791 Old 06-15-2014, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:

Not everyone I still have the Video Glitches.
post #3975 of 5791 Old 06-15-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
.....Not everything!!
There have always been periods of inactivity.....or fears of redundancy!😉

Last edited by slprp1; 06-15-2014 at 08:56 PM.
post #3976 of 5791 Old 06-15-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
Quote:

Not everyone I still have the Video Glitches.
.....Me too!!
post #3977 of 5791 Old 06-17-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post
.....Me too!!
.....Me three!
post #3978 of 5791 Old 06-17-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Mine is working so well that it is ridiculous.
post #3979 of 5791 Old 06-18-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperWA View Post
Mine is working so well that it is ridiculous.
ReaperWA, I apologize if I missed it earlier, but what external hd are you using? I wonder if the differences in drives used, usb 3.0 quirks, I don't know, might be responsible for great experiences such as yours, and others that are not exactly acceptable...

TabloTV is neat, but I feel it's just a different type of device for other needs. I don't see a way to tie such a unit into an existing sound system, like via a digital out. That's a rather large deal-breaker for me. Also, I'd prefer a remote control or the addition of one, again, to fold into one's existing system, where one remote can smartly address all requests. It seems that with the TabloTV, one also then needs to utilize some other phone or tablet device. For an existing home theatre system, TabloTV doesn't seem ideal. I like it though for other purposes / applications...

Back to the DVR+, as it is topic here, and a frontrunner for me at the moment. I'm a big sports guy and as we all know, games rarely end "on time". Is there a provision on the DVR+ to extend or add on 15, 30 minutes, 1 hour, etc?

Last question... Any noteworthy lag when navigating the guide, going into the hd, anywhere? USB 3.0 has been out a couple or so years as I recall. Would have been nice to incorporate, even just one of the USB ports. That said, if the actual user experience is not impacted, then it's moot...

Last edited by TonyB1966; 06-18-2014 at 10:50 AM.
post #3980 of 5791 Old 06-18-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Back to the DVR+, as it is topic here, and a frontrunner for me at the moment. I'm a big sports guy and as we all know, games rarely end "on time". Is there a provision on the DVR+ to extend or add on 15, 30 minutes, 1 hour, etc?

I've never seen such a provision. One possibility is to set the Default Late Time to its maximum value of 10 minutes. Which would apply to all recordings and doesn't buy you much time. A second possibility is to create a manual recording for the extended time you desire. A third possibility is to just create a manual recording for the entire event.
post #3981 of 5791 Old 06-18-2014, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post

I've never seen such a provision. One possibility is to set the Default Late Time to its maximum value of 10 minutes. Which would apply to all recordings and doesn't buy you much time. A second possibility is to create a manual recording for the extended time you desire. A third possibility is to just create a manual recording for the entire event.

For something like the super bowl I do a manual recording with a half hour after the event to stop. So I would say manual record.
post #3982 of 5791 Old 06-18-2014, 08:06 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
Essentially, click on the event in the guide to record it. And, then click again and choose Edit to pad to your heart's content. I prefer this to doing a "manual" recording where the program ends up being labeled "Manual recording".
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #3983 of 5791 Old 06-18-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
For something like the super bowl I do a manual recording with a half hour after the event to stop. So I would say manual record.
Manual record it is then.... Thank you both. Russell_, just saw your post re edit. Great! Thanks much.

If Channel Master were to get this option later, I imagine it would be simply via software update...

USB 2.0 and HDMI 1.3 are not exactly what one expects these days; but I'm inclined to let that go as it seems that those dated standards don't hamper performance...

I have a least two usb wifi dongles somewhere, probably in boxes (new house, moving). Has there been general success going this route, or must one use the Channel Master wifi usb dongle?

I just spoke with my dad as he's interested in the is DVR as well and he asked if DVR+ groups recordings, like into folders? As an example, if one has recorded World Cup matches, would they be in the same folder, or somehow grouped together, even if they were recorded on different channels?

Thanks much.
post #3984 of 5791 Old 06-18-2014, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
ReaperWA, I apologize if I missed it earlier, but what external hd are you using? I wonder if the differences in drives used, usb 3.0 quirks, I don't know, might be responsible for great experiences such as yours, and others that are not exactly acceptable...

TabloTV is neat, but I feel it's just a different type of device for other needs. I don't see a way to tie such a unit into an existing sound system, like via a digital out. That's a rather large deal-breaker for me. Also, I'd prefer a remote control or the addition of one, again, to fold into one's existing system, where one remote can smartly address all requests. It seems that with the TabloTV, one also then needs to utilize some other phone or tablet device. For an existing home theatre system, TabloTV doesn't seem ideal. I like it though for other purposes / applications...

Last question... Any noteworthy lag when navigating the guide, going into the hd, anywhere? USB 3.0 has been out a couple or so years as I recall. Would have been nice to incorporate, even just one of the USB ports. That said, if the actual user experience is not impacted, then it's moot...
I'm using a LaCie 500 GB USB 2.0 EHD that I bought 7 years ago. This unit has worked flawlessly for me since I bought it. And no, I don't have any guide delay with it, not since the 108R update.

In contrast, I bought a 2 TB Seagate USB 3.0 EHD three months ago for use with my laptop to store my personal media collection to be served up via PLEX, and I've had nothing but problems with it. It hangs up and I have to cold boot it almost daily. Maybe the problem is that these EHDs have become cheap in manufacture as well as price...

The Tablo TV can be used with a Roku, so you don't need a tablet or phone, and the Roku remote would of course control the "channel" (app). Some Roku models have optical audio out. I used to futz with digital audio and optical cables too, but then I bought a JVC receiver with HDMI support. It's beautiful: run an HDMI cable to the receiver, and then another from the receiver to the TV. Now there are many fewer cables to deal with, and my video and audio are always in synch. When I was using HDMI for video only and digital audio or optical cables for audio, it was common for them to be out of synch.
TonyB1966 and TonyB1966 like this.

Last edited by ReaperWA; 06-18-2014 at 08:35 PM.
post #3985 of 5791 Old 06-18-2014, 11:08 PM

I read through the manual, and with respect to my earlier question on the organization of recordings, like into folders:

"If more than one program with the same title is recorded, a folder
is automatically created. To watch a program in the folder, first
highlight and select the folder, then View Folder Content, and then
the individual program. You can also delete all content in a folder by
deleting the folder itself."

ReaperWA, as long as the AVR has HDMI pass through, I find that solution good as well. The vast majority of time I watch programming, I don't feel the need to drive the sound system as the TV's speaker will suffice for watching the news, etc... If the AVR passes the HDMI signal onward, all is good. That said, I generally prefer fewer connection points, but that is a nice trade-off...

With respect to the TabloTV, it sounds like you are saying that with a Roku attached, which has a remote, that can be used to select OTA channels on the TabloTV. Not sure how that is done, but I'll take your word for it... Looks like some Rokus have HDMI, so that can be used to get TabloTV (OTA) sound to an AVR, like in the way you explained. I just found the TabloTV thread. looks like there are some quirky issues with Rokus. One the beauties of OTA is that it's not compressed. It would seem that aspect is lost when using a TabloTV. I'll stop with the TabloTV talk here, promise - sorry everyone.
post #3986 of 5791 Old 06-19-2014, 03:56 AM

Quote:
I read through the manual, and with respect to my earlier question on the organization of recordings, like into folders:

"If more than one program with the same title is recorded, a folder
is automatically created. To watch a program in the folder, first
highlight and select the folder, then View Folder Content, and then
the individual program. You can also delete all content in a folder by
deleting the folder itself."
With respect to "folders", this is still a "work in progress". With the previous update, when a show ends, it's immediately accessible (for deletion). This was a major improvement, since previously it would simply go to the top of the recordings listing and then you would be forced to navigate to the show (that you just watched) in order to simply delete it! This was senseless!
However, unfortunately, when a show is contained in a folder (which is very common and typical), you're still forced to first navigate to that folder in order to delete the show that you just watched!
I was hoping that, with the latest update, the folder would be immediately accessible (as are the individual recordings).
Bottom line.....they only got it half right!
Please, CM (if you're out there in the shadows)......fix this problem ASAP!!
There are many users with large drives and pages and pages of recorded shows! Having to sift through all of these listings just to simply delete a show (that you just watched) is utterly ridiculous!!
artisticimaging and TonyB1966 like this.

Last edited by slprp1; 06-19-2014 at 04:02 AM.
post #3987 of 5791 Old 06-19-2014, 04:22 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post
With respect to "folders", this is still a "work in progress". With the previous update, when a show ends, it's immediately accessible (for deletion). This was a major improvement, since previously it would simply go to the top of the recordings listing and then you would be forced to navigate to the show (that you just watched) in order to simply delete it! This was senseless!
However, unfortunately, when a show is contained in a folder (which is very common and typical), you're still forced to first navigate to that folder in order to delete the show that you just watched!
I was hoping that, with the latest update, the folder would be immediately accessible (as are the individual recordings).
Bottom line.....they only got it half right!
Please, CM (if you're out there in the shadows)......fix this problem ASAP!!
There are many users with large drives and pages and pages of recorded shows! Having to sift through all of these listings just to simply delete a show (that you just watched) is utterly ridiculous!!
These are usability issues - what you've described is something every owner experiences. Changing the way the software is written can make the device more "usable" and we all benefit from it. As such, these type of issues should be reported directly to CM. If sufficient number of customers report these issues, CM may fix them. If this issue is unreported by anyone, there's no saying anything will change.
post #3988 of 5791 Old 06-19-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_ View Post
These are usability issues - what you've described is something every owner experiences. Changing the way the software is written can make the device more "usable" and we all benefit from it. As such, these type of issues should be reported directly to CM. If sufficient number of customers report these issues, CM may fix them. If this issue is unreported by anyone, there's no saying anything will change.
Good point.....
I did send them an e-mail regarding this.
I would appeal to others here to contact CM regarding this issue as well!
Quite frankly, it's seems bizarre that they would put the effort into making the original improvement and neglect the fact that it's all too common to have multiple episodes of a show contained in folders. The return to the top of the list feature was ludicrous to begin with and yet it still lives on!
post #3989 of 5791 Old 06-19-2014, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Manual record it is then.... Thank you both. Russell_, just saw your post re edit. Great! Thanks much.

I have a least two usb wifi dongles somewhere, probably in boxes (new house, moving). Has there been general success going this route, or must one use the Channel Master wifi usb dongle?

I just spoke with my dad as he's interested in the is DVR as well and he asked if DVR+ groups recordings, like into folders? As an example, if one has recorded World Cup matches, would they be in the same folder, or somehow grouped together, even if they were recorded on different channels?

Thanks much.
Somebody else previously posted a list of compatible WiFi adapters, based upon the chipset, List of compatible WiFi adapters Many thanks to the OP of this info, as well as my apologies for not giving proper credit, as I don't remember the handle of the OP. As long as you have some adapters on hand, there's no harm in trying them out. If an adapter is not compatible, it won't work. From my experience, such a test won't harm the DVR+. FYI, I got mine from Amazon, 300Mbps Wifi Adapter Be forewarned, it ships from China, so it takes a little while.

As others have previously noted, recordings with the same name are grouped into one folder. However, the recordings have to have the exact same name. I've currently got a "NOVA" recording as well as a "Nova" folder with 2 recordings. FYI, within a folder, you can sort them chronologically by pressing the yellow button on the remote control.
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #3990 of 5791 Old 06-19-2014, 09:33 AM

Thoughtful replies everyone, thanks much for making the time.

Sounds like CM doesn't have a formal process to receive such feedback. As an ideal example, I purchased trading software from a company and they offer a project mgt portal where one can submit bugs, issues, wish list type stuff etc, with details to describe thoroughly. Other uses can then "vote" on the significance of such, giving the company good direction on how to prioritize. Visiting the portal thereafter one can monitor the status of these requests, and what software release to expect some type of solution. Pretty neat...

It seems that all of my questions or concerns have been addressed. Although certainly not perfect at these early stages, it seems like CM has a very solid offering and is showing signs of constant improvement; and that they listen. I hope that effort will continue after the next product upgrade is released, whenever that might be...

Looks like CM has free shipping until the end of the month. Eye-balling the WD My Passport Ultra 1TB. Seems from this thread to work well, and the price is right too...

Last edited by TonyB1966; 06-19-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page