Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 136 - AVS Forum
First ... 134  135  136 137  138  ... Last
HDTV Recorders > Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread
SoonerAJ's Avatar SoonerAJ 09:32 PM 06-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
The following is from the changelog for the 106R firmware. Perhaps one of the items in bold applies to your situation.
Thanks for the information. This didn't fix my problem but it did lead me to the fix. DVR+ didn't like my complex password and it appears to be a bug. There are several patterns and types of passwords that just don't work. It's tough to narrow down exactly but one problem seems to be passwords with 2 special characters.

Here's an example of a couple that I can't get to work

1234567$#
1234567$!

Needless to say for those of us with complex passwords its a frustrating experience to have to work through this without any documentation explaining the DVR+ password requirements. I don't know if this was intentional on their part or if this is just a bug. Either way, I'm working now. But now I have to go back and reset my wifi passwords for all my other devices...

-AJ

idoug 09:36 PM 06-29-2014
Just received the CM-7500. Where can I find the discrete IR codes?
Arenal04's Avatar Arenal04 02:47 AM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerAJ View Post
Thanks for the information. This didn't fix my problem but it did lead me to the fix. DVR+ didn't like my complex password and it appears to be a bug. There are several patterns and types of passwords that just don't work. It's tough to narrow down exactly but one problem seems to be passwords with 2 special characters.

Here's an example of a couple that I can't get to work

1234567$#
1234567$!

Needless to say for those of us with complex passwords its a frustrating experience to have to work through this without any documentation explaining the DVR+ password requirements. I don't know if this was intentional on their part or if this is just a bug. Either way, I'm working now. But now I have to go back and reset my wifi passwords for all my other devices...

-AJ
I suspect that this is a bug. The DVR+ uses Linux. In a number of Linux/Unix utility programs, the dollar sign indicates "end-of-line". So I suspect that the DVR+ is truncating your password at the dollar sign, then trying to log in to your router with the truncated password, causing the failure. Try a password without the dollar sign. I have 2 "special characters" in my router's password and the DVR+ handles them just fine (neither character is the dollar sign).
Arenal04's Avatar Arenal04 02:51 AM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoug View Post
I'm assuming you're referring to the "Remote Codes" on pages 12-15 of the User Guide, DVR+ documentation.
idoug 08:44 AM 06-30-2014
I am looking for the discrete IR codes for the DVR+ itself. Have an existing remote system (RoomieRemote), that can import them. Then the DVR+ will be controlled by by my system. Otherwise, I have to "teach" my system how to use each function of the DVR+.
SEMIJim's Avatar SEMIJim 09:06 AM 06-30-2014
So... bottom line? CM DVR+ out-of-the-box can record a single channel at a time, up to two hours of HD? Add an external drive via the USB port, and it can record two channels simultaneously? Something like a 1 or 2TB WD My Passport work well?

Are the receivers in DVR+'s any good? We're in kind of a marginal area. (Should be good, but it's not.)

Is the software in these things any good? We've had three different Panasonic DVD recorders, and using them is like walking on egg shells. They've all been the same: Never know when they're going to do what you tell them to and when they're not. They're prone to seizing-up if you just look at 'em cross-wise, requiring unplugging for twenty minutes or so, then it may deign to come back--if you're lucky. (Why three, you ask? Because, near as I could tell, from reading here, Panasonic DVD recorders are the least crappy of them all! And ain't that sad?)

I don't mind paying CM the $250 or so. And maybe another $70, or even $120, for an additional 1 or 2TB of storage, but not if it's going to be Yet Another Flaky, Frustrating recording device that I end up just wanting to take out for target practice

Thanks,
Jim
wiscojim's Avatar wiscojim 09:13 AM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
So... bottom line?
Nobody can tell you if it will work to your satisfaction except you.

Order one, try it out in your location, experiment with it.

If it fails to meet your needs, return it within the 30 days for a refund.

http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...ey-Back-Policy

If you don't like it, all you'll be out is the shipping (fits in a standard USPS Priority box).
jjeff's Avatar jjeff 10:01 AM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Is the software in these things any good? We've had three different Panasonic DVD recorders, and using them is like walking on egg shells. They've all been the same: Never know when they're going to do what you tell them to and when they're not. They're prone to seizing-up if you just look at 'em cross-wise, requiring unplugging for twenty minutes or so, then it may deign to come back--if you're lucky. (Why three, you ask? Because, near as I could tell, from reading here, Panasonic DVD recorders are the least crappy of them all! And ain't that sad?)
Were your Panasonics the "EZ" series? If so that explains things, when they worked they made decent recordings(albeit SD) but their digital tuners were never really meant for prime time. While not perfect, everything I've read about the DVR+ makes it sound like a much better recording option. Get yourself a 3TB wall powered HDD and you should be good to go. Other sizes may work good too but 3TB seems to be the current "best bang for the buck" drive and being wall powered, vs USB powered, should be easier on the DVR+'s power supply. I also believe people think the odd numbered sizes work better than even like 2TB.
The only thing I personally would not like about the DVR+ is it's inability to offload things, it even lacks a composite video output so you couldn't even play things in realtime and record them to one of your Panasonics, the DVR+ is basically a OTA play and delete box.
Sandman905's Avatar Sandman905 10:08 AM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoug View Post
The DVR+ has discrete Power ON and OFF codes as documented in Channel Master's Support pages for the DVR+ CM-7500GB16 at http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...e-On-Off-code-

2 Key codes are reserved for discrete power ON and OFF.
0x37 = ON
0x38 = OFF
Sandman905's Avatar Sandman905 10:26 AM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
The only thing I personally would not like about the DVR+ is it's inability to offload things, it even lacks a composite video output so you couldn't even play things in realtime and record them to one of your Panasonics, the DVR+ is basically a OTA play and delete box.
The video files on the DVR+ are stored in .ts format in one of two Linux Ext formatted volumes on the hard drive. You can mount the drive on a PC and read the files by installing Linux drivers. The file names are not recognizable, but by looking at the file sizes and dates you should be able to find recent recordings. Depending what you want to do with the files, you may also want to convert them to another format.
idoug 11:27 AM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post
The DVR+ has discrete Power ON and OFF codes as documented in Channel Master's Support pages for the DVR+ CM-7500GB16 at http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...e-On-Off-code-

2 Key codes are reserved for discrete power ON and OFF.

0x37 = ON

0x38 = OFF

Thank you. I did see those in my search of the Channel Master web site. Now if I find all the other codes. It would have been so much nicer if CM had provided them or better yet, made the commands available via IP.
TonyB1966's Avatar TonyB1966 03:03 PM 06-30-2014
I've had the DVR+ for a few few days, and with very limited time to play with it, I'm a happy camper. Set-up was a breeze. Within a few hours, I had several recordings for the kids. I was using pause during a World Cup match. Just what I was looking for...

That said, the tuner seems not quite as robust as the TV's (Samsung). I plan to experiment further, but a couple channels are now fringe, that were somewhat more reliable before. I hope I'm wrong...

Any reason not to stand the DVR+ on its side? I think I read somewhere not to though, but just curious. It's currently sitting atop our PS3, and as most know, is convex, so not exactly stable up there. I asked the CM rep before i got the unit, and he said no problem to stand it on edge, like many USB drives and other devices. With such a slim profile, on edge would fit perfect here and I'm sure other applications, and also get more breathing room around the unit.
SEMIJim's Avatar SEMIJim 03:24 PM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
[snip]
That said, the tuner seems not quite as robust as the TV's (Samsung). I plan to experiment further, but a couple channels are now fringe, that were somewhat more reliable before. I hope I'm wrong...
[snip]
Hmmm... that could be a problem for us. We've got... anywhere from 1 to 4 stations that could be knocked-out by a sub-par tuner.

SWMBO has given me leave to go ahead and order one, if I think that's a good way to go. First have to find out if the Antenna Experiment (testing a Winegard FlatWave Amped) succeeds. No point having a DVR if you're not (reliably) receiving things

(So far it appears to be doing better than the rooftop antenna. Go figure.)

Jim
artisticimaging's Avatar artisticimaging 04:03 PM 06-30-2014
Quote:

Any reason not to stand the DVR+ on its side? I think I read somewhere not to though, but just curious. It's currently sitting atop our PS3, and as most know, is convex, so not exactly stable up there. I asked the CM rep before i got the unit, and he said no problem to stand it on edge, like many USB drives and other devices. With such a slim profile, on edge would fit perfect here and I'm sure other applications, and also get more breathing room around the unit.

I think I remember seeing a CM advertisement for the DVR+where it was standing on edge behind a flat screen TV.

Of course you would have to buy the inferred remote extender.
TonyB1966's Avatar TonyB1966 04:41 PM 06-30-2014
Interesting. I was not aware of such an advertisement.

If I find where I read that it should be sitting flat, horizontally, I'll post back. That said, I'm going to fab a simple stand for it to stand up...

The tuner's reception, for some, worked better than their TV's. I was hoping to experience the same, but so far that's not the case. If after some experimentation that doesn't change, I'll contact CM to get their input.

Do all DVR+ units have the same tuner?
Sandman905's Avatar Sandman905 04:47 PM 06-30-2014
Quote:
The DVR+ has no fan (and no internal hard drive) and it only gets mildly warm, so the orientation shouldn't be an issue. It would be better not have it sitting on top of another device that is already warm. Just provide some space around it to allow for normal ventilation.
TonyB1966's Avatar TonyB1966 05:15 PM 06-30-2014
On the phone with CM now.

Jordan said that they only have one tuner that they have used in the DVR+. Apparently others have also experienced decreased reception quality with the DVR+. Full refund within 30 days, if I decide to go that route. My only FOX and CBS channels that I got before going direct to the TV are gone or not watchable. And this is after lopping-off about 6 feet of coax, so a shorter run.

Warranty would simply check the unit, that it's working to spec, and if so send it back. Was hoping they might swap it out, thinking that a different box's tuner might make a bit of a difference.
Snipper's Avatar Snipper 08:06 PM 06-30-2014
I was under the impression that Channel Master will be adding channels in addition to Vudu onto their guide menu. I assumed they will magically appear after a firmware/software upgrade. Anyone know what and when they will be rolling anything out? I have a Roku already so I'm not starved for choices in that venue but I was curious if they are still planning to expand service this way?
SoonerAJ's Avatar SoonerAJ 08:55 PM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
I suspect that this is a bug. The DVR+ uses Linux. In a number of Linux/Unix utility programs, the dollar sign indicates "end-of-line".
I think you nailed it. Looking back through my notes last night all the iterations of the passwords i tried seem to match up with the explanation that the dollar sign truncates the password. I'm emailing Channel Master to let them know just in case this one isnt on their radar. Much appreciated!

AJ
Kelson's Avatar Kelson 10:45 PM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipper View Post
I was under the impression that Channel Master will be adding channels in addition to Vudu onto their guide menu.
I'll believe it when I see it.
pdbphoto 11:27 PM 06-30-2014
Greetings,

Like many I had hoped Aereo would get the OK and be available in my area soon. But that's not to be.

So, I am looking at a CM DVR+. I don't know a lot about these things. But, I have attached a flat antenna to my TV and it picks up many stations with startling clarity. It looks great! Far better than my friend's cable TV image. :-)

I have a few questions about the DVR+:

Can it set a timer on it to record a program like I used to do with my old VCR - that is, Record channel 4 for 60 minutes on April 2??? I don't want to be dependent on some subscription service that might fold in a year or two.

Do I have to use a CM hard drive on it to store my recordings, or can I use an old USB drive I have?

Can I play a recording back through my Roku with the wifi accessory?

Thanks for hour help.
Arenal04's Avatar Arenal04 12:22 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdbphoto View Post
Greetings,

Can it set a timer on it to record a program like I used to do with my old VCR - that is, Record channel 4 for 60 minutes on April 2??? I don't want to be dependent on some subscription service that might fold in a year or two.

Do I have to use a CM hard drive on it to store my recordings, or can I use an old USB drive I have?

Thanks for hour help.
Manual Recordings: Yes, you can set manual recordings. It's not the most straightforward of methods, but you can. FYI, as others have noted in this thread, TV stations are required to broadcast PSIP information along with their signals. Thus, the DVR+ will always have at least some EPG data.

Hard Drive: You don't have to use CM's hard drives, since they are readily available Seagates. Some people on this thread have reported better success with Western Digital than with Seagate. I've been using the Seagate STBU1000100, from Amazon, with great success. If you have a drive sitting around, connect it to the DVR+ and try it, with the prior knowledge that you MAY have problems. FYI, a number of people have reported problems using 2TB Seagates. Nobody knows why. Here's a list of CM-recommended Seagates.

500 GB - STCD500102
1 TB - STBU1000100
1 TB - STBX1000101
3 TB - STCA3000101
3 TB - STBV3000100

I wouldn't recommend a 500GB drive. You'll fill it up faster than you think.

Roku: Unknown, since I don't have one.
slprp1's Avatar slprp1 12:51 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdbphoto View Post
Greetings,

Like many I had hoped Aereo would get the OK and be available in my area soon. But that's not to be.

So, I am looking at a CM DVR+. I don't know a lot about these things. But, I have attached a flat antenna to my TV and it picks up many stations with startling clarity. It looks great! Far better than my friend's cable TV image. :-)

Thanks for hour help.
Tuners on the DVR+ are questionable. Stability of reception will vary greatly from location to location and is highly dependent upon antenna and placement. Unfortunately, it's going to be "trial and error" in terms of reception quality.

Manual recording is an option.

You will need an external hard drive.
"CM" doesn't produce them and the Seagate drives that they recommend have had reliability issues (for me personally and others). Personally, I would recommend a WD "portable" drive (if you're looking for the least expensive option). The least expensive readily available WD drive would be a "My Passport Ultra" 1 GB, which sells for approx. $70.00.

If you're referring to the CM "wi-fi accessory", it's designed to establish a wireless connection to a router for the Rovi guide updates. That's it's only function.
slprp1's Avatar slprp1 01:02 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
On the phone with CM now.

Jordan said that they only have one tuner that they have used in the DVR+. Apparently others have also experienced decreased reception quality with the DVR+. Full refund within 30 days, if I decide to go that route. My only FOX and CBS channels that I got before going direct to the TV are gone or not watchable. And this is after lopping-off about 6 feet of coax, so a shorter run.

Warranty would simply check the unit, that it's working to spec, and if so send it back. Was hoping they might swap it out, thinking that a different box's tuner might make a bit of a difference.
Tuners on the DVR+ are known to be questionable and very sensitive to location, antenna type and placement.
Unfortunately, a number of users (including myself) have had issues with this and have been dissatisfied. CM has produced devices (such as the CM-7000 DTA converter box) that produced exceptional results with flaky reception conditions. Sadly, this is not necessarily the case with the DVR+.
SEMIJim's Avatar SEMIJim 02:41 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post
Tuners on the DVR+ are known to be questionable and very sensitive to location, antenna type and placement.
Unfortunately, a number of users (including myself) have had issues with this and have been dissatisfied. CM has produced devices (such as the CM-7000 DTA converter box) that produced exceptional results with flaky reception conditions. Sadly, this is not necessarily the case with the DVR+.
Odd, because early reports were their tuners were very good.

I'm going to order one later today. Guess I'll find out.

Quote:
My only FOX and CBS channels that I got before going direct to the TV are gone or not watchable. And this is after lopping-off about 6 feet of coax, so a shorter run.
Six feet of coax, either way, isn't going to make any difference, unless it's really, really, really bad coax and it's six feet vs. one .

Jim
slprp1's Avatar slprp1 03:52 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Odd, because early reports were their tuners were very good.

I'm going to order one later today. Guess I'll find out.

Jim
I'm uncertain as to what "reports" you're referring to. Regardless, as a general rule, if you're in a good location (relative to the distance from the transmitters and overall atmospheric conditions), you'll do OK (with certain antennas). The issues develop when you're in a questionable location. However, there have also been reports from users (such as myself) in less questionable environments who've also had issues. The bottom line is that the tuners used in the DVR+ could have (and should have) been better! They tend to be flaky and unpredictable!
......take it for a "test drive".
Arenal04's Avatar Arenal04 07:36 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
I'm uncertain as to what "reports" you're referring to. Regardless, as a general rule, if you're in a good location (relative to the distance from the transmitters and overall atmospheric conditions), you'll do OK (with certain antennas). The issues develop when you're in a questionable location. However, there have also been reports from users (such as myself) in less questionable environments who've also had issues. The bottom line is that the tuners used in the DVR+ could have (and should have) been better! They tend to be flaky and unpredictable!
I've had nothing but good luck with the tuners in my DVR+. They deliver a sharper picture than the tuner in my Sony TV. In fact, I don't remember anyone on this thread claiming that the tuners were the cause of their problems. To prove such a thing, one would have to swap out the tuners in one's DVR+, then test the unit with the new tuners.
SEMIJim's Avatar SEMIJim 07:56 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
I'm uncertain as to what "reports" you're referring to.
If you go back about 3500 posts , to when AVSF users first started receiving product, you'll find glowing reviews of the tuners.

When I saw there was another 3500 posts to get to here, I decided to skip to the end.

Quote:
Regardless, as a general rule, if you're in a good location (relative to the distance from the transmitters and overall atmospheric conditions),
Unfortunately, I'm in a marginal location. It shouldn't be. Save a few close-by trees (which may be the problem--but that doesn't account for wintertime): I'm at an elevation that looks "down" on all the towers, which are in a 12° arc of one another, about 14-16 miles away. Nonetheless: Reception can be problematical--particularly if it's storming, the wind is blowing or planes are flying overhead (we have an airport about one mile to the north, as the crow flies).

Quote:
you'll do OK (with certain antennas).
With the Winegard FlatWave Amped antenna I'm testing, things are much better, it seems. But the new (eight years ago) Winegard HD7078P VHF/UHF antenna on the roof has never done well. (Belden RG-6, all the way, weather-proof compression connectors crimped with a DataShark. [I used to be a "radio guy."])

Unfortunately: Short of putting up a tower: I've no other outside antenna options. And I'm not certain that would help. The symptoms kind of suggest reflections are the problem (the grade continues rising by an additional 400' or so [?] behind the antenna), which might explain why the inside antenna is actually working better than the outside one.

Quote:
The issues develop when you're in a questionable location. However, there have also been reports from users (such as myself) in less questionable environments who've also had issues.
That's unfortunate

Quote:
The bottom line is that the tuners used in the DVR+ could have (and should have) been better! They tend to be flaky and unpredictable!
That's what I'll have to do.

If the tuner works well on receipt, can I expect it will continue to do so?

Jim
slprp1's Avatar slprp1 08:24 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
I've had nothing but good luck with the tuners in my DVR+. They deliver a sharper picture than the tuner in my Sony TV. In fact, I don't remember anyone on this thread claiming that the tuners were the cause of their problems. To prove such a thing, one would have to swap out the tuners in one's DVR+, then test the unit with the new tuners.
"Sharper" picture isn't the issue. I have no complaints in this area.
Video and audio stability (relative to the quality of the reception) is the issue (and it has been discussed here numerous times).
Swapping tuners isn't a realistic possibility!
Comparing various units (such as other OTA DVR's or DTA converters) is the only option for making these type of comparisons.
slprp1's Avatar slprp1 08:25 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
If you go back about 3500 posts , to when AVSF users first started receiving product, you'll find glowing reviews of the tuners.

When I saw there was another 3500 posts to get to here, I decided to skip to the end.

Unfortunately, I'm in a marginal location. It shouldn't be. Save a few close-by trees (which may be the problem--but that doesn't account for wintertime): I'm at an elevation that looks "down" on all the towers, which are in a 12° arc of one another, about 14-16 miles away. Nonetheless: Reception can be problematical--particularly if it's storming, the wind is blowing or planes are flying overhead (we have an airport about one mile to the north, as the crow flies).

With the Winegard FlatWave Amped antenna I'm testing, things are much better, it seems. But the new (eight years ago) Winegard HD7078P VHF/UHF antenna on the roof has never done well. (Belden RG-6, all the way, weather-proof compression connectors crimped with a DataShark. [I used to be a "radio guy."])

Unfortunately: Short of putting up a tower: I've no other outside antenna options. And I'm not certain that would help. The symptoms kind of suggest reflections are the problem (the grade continues rising by an additional 400' or so [?] behind the antenna), which might explain why the inside antenna is actually working better than the outside one.

That's unfortunate

That's what I'll have to do.

If the tuner works well on receipt, can I expect it will continue to do so?

Jim
Yes (as a general rule).
Tags: Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart
First ... 134  135  136 137  138  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop