AVS Forum banner
2M views 20K replies 719 participants last post by  P Smith 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Channel Master DVR+ (Antenna Compatible DVR with Internet Connectivity and No Subscription Fees)

$249.99

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/DVR_p/cm-7500gb16.htm?Click=32508

Quick Start Guide: http://support.channelmaster.com/hc...ents/200068249/DVR_Plus_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf
User Guide: http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/200152160/DVR_Plus_Users_Guide.pdf
Software Update: http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/articles/200488325-DVR-Software-Update

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Quote:Originally Posted by Kelson 

I'm transferring this information (with updates) from the other CM-7500 thread which I've requested be locked. Aero 1 can incorporate this into his post #1 as he wishes.

Channel Master CM-7500 (a.k.a. Channel Master DVR+)
I have come across some information about the upcoming Channel Master CM-7500. After repeated communications I am convinced of the source's credibility and of the validity of the information. I will update it as more comes in that I'm allowed to post.

Model name = CM-7500
Made by Echostar, sold by Channel Master
Targeted released date = 12/2/2013 (in reality, not until Q1 2014)
Keep an eye on the Channel Master Store Web site.

There are two models being proposed:

• Lower end with 16GB internal storage and no HDD (CM-7500GB16, $250)
  • Flat form factor to easily mount on rear of flat panel DTV (IR extender available)
  • No fan, runs cool
  • Higher end model with internal HDD; size = TBD (CM-7500GB320)
  • Both models accept an external USB HDD to expand storage -- at least 3TB
  • The CM-7500GB16 will be released first

Common to both models:

• 1 ethernet port
  • 2 USB ports (all on rear)
  • wireless adapter can be separately purchased and used in a USB port.
  • IR extender can be purchased to allow hiding the CM-7500
  • Two ATSC tuners for OTA-HDTV
  • No clear QAM tuners, no cable card -- that is definite
  • PSIP guide if not connected to Internet
  • 14 day guide service (Rovi) from Internet - no information, yet, on whether it is free or yearly subscription
  • Support for Internet streaming services
  • Only supported streaming service, so far = VuDu -- likely that more will be added before release

OS = Linux

• The OS of the CM-7500 is Linux.
  • An external HDD is formatted with ExtFS upon connection to the DVR
  • Recordings are stored in standard transport stream format -- .ts files.
  • External HDD can be read by a Linux box or a PC with a Linux ExtFS file system driver
  • The files are displayed and can be accessed
  • Nothing currently inhibiting recordings being transferred off the external HDD
  • There is no indication the files are encrypted.

The Rovi guide has me scratching my head -- I didn't think their Internet guide for HDTV's went much beyond 3 days. This must be something different.

A bit more detail:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
1/9/2014

Channel Master is developing a whole-home DVR solution for cord cutters

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/08/channel-master-dvr-plus-extender/
Quote:Channel Master wants its new DVR+ to be the TiVo of people who don’t like to pay TiVo’s fees – and now, it’s developing whole-home DVR functionality as well.

Channel Master, known for its over-the-air TV antennas as well as some early digital video recorders that go along with these antennas, started shipping its new DVR+ this week — and the company is already looking to bring additional functionality to the device. Channel Master EVP Joe Bingochea told me at the CES in Las Vegas Wednesday that his company is looking to introduce a small companion device in the next few months that will turn the DVR+ into a whole-home digital video recorder.

Channel Master sells its new DVR+ for $250. For that price, consumers get a pretty neat box with a very clean design as well as a programming guide — something for that TiVo charges around $15 per month, depending on the individual plan.

However, the device also has its downsides. It only comes with 16 GB of onboard storage, which means that consumers have to connect an external hard drive to record more than a handful of TV show episodes. It also doesn’t support Wifi, and instead offers an Ethernet port and the option to buy an extra wireless adapter. And at least for now, the DVR+ only comes with one streaming app — Vudu — but Bingochea said that others will follow soon.

Channel Master has been positioning the device as a solution for consumer that don’t want to pay any monthly fees at all, and Bingochea also said that many of his company’s customers are more used to the traditional channel grid used by pay TV providers. That’s why the company also isn’t including ann app store. Instead, it lists Vudu right alongside other channels in the channel grid.

Bingochea said that whole-home DRV functionality was one of the most-requested features, which is why the company is now developing an adapter that can be connected to other TVs in the house to stream recordings from a DVR+ over the local network. The device won’t allow out-of-home streaming, but Channel Master cooperated with EchoStar on the development of the DVR+, and as a result, it is compatible with Sling’s Slingbox 500.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
7/11/13 - Original Post

New Channel Master K77 revealed from FCC Analog Tuner Waiver

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-07/echostar-channel-master-prep-new-ota-dvr/
Quote:Boxee may have abandoned the market to secure their survival, but Echostar & Channel Master are teaming up once again to tap the over-the-air television market with a new line of retail DVR. According to a FCC filing (PDF), the two Channel Master K77 models “combine access to broadcast programming with over-the-top and DVR functionalities.” Both units are slated to include 16GB of Flash storage, presumably to house the OS and any potential OTT apps, with DVR storage handled via an integrated 320GB hard drive (in the higher end SKU) or added via USB storage by end users. Previously, the two companies collaborated on the DTVPal - which seemed to enjoy a decent amount of buzz and interest. More recently, Channel Master has been pushing an Entone-powered OTA DVR… but may not be pleased with the results given their rekindled relationship with Echostar. We firmly believe there’s an audience for this sort of product and are looking forward to what Echostar brings to the table. Related, Simple.TV, with a new line of funding, is likely also preparing an updated OTA/OTT DVR. Combined with TiVo’s incoming 4-tuner Series 5 and Aereo’s contested cloud-based approach, options are certainly heating up for cord cutters.

FCC Filing: http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2013/db0710/DA-13-1555A1.pdf
Quote:EchoStar seeks a waiver for two variants of the K77 device. Model CM-7500GB16 is
Flash memory-based with 16 gigabytes (“GB”) of memory, but no internal hard drive. DVR capability can be added
through the attachment of an external USB hard drive. Model CM-7500GB320 includes a 320 GB hard drive.

Hope these don't strictly rely on PSIP and include a better guide.

Attachments

See less See more
#2,721 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2670#post_24486545

With some of the whiny complainers who want it to make coffee and toast for them for breakfast, a refund is the way to go.  Some people have unreasonable expectations, and they will never be satisfied with anything technical support can do.  For them, a refund is the right thing for CM to suggest.

With all due respect, I don't feel that it's "unreasonable" for (at least) some of us to expect this unit to do what it claims it can and not be so quirky that you don't know what to expect from it from one day to the next (or even one hour to the next)!

As I stated previously.....I, for one, have had minimal issues and haven't even called for technical support.....however, from what I've been reading here, these units are still a work in progress and the "whiny complainers" that you speak of may very well be justified!

We shouldn't simply accept problems with units such as these as the norm!

I'm addition, I reiterate.....offering a refund is basically a cop out if a unit is truly malfunctioning, since it would be to CM's benefit to truly satisfy their customers by providing them with a properly functioning unit

(so perhaps they would truly be satisfied and even recommend it to others.....instead of being left out in the cold)!

#2,722 ·
I hate to be one if those "whiney complainers", but I have two issues that I consider to be major ones... First, it will not, whatevee I do, record the CBS station... (Local, full power and no reception problems in any other device on the same antenna system. I can even watch CBS on the DVR+) It just WILL NOT record the station. When I try to do a manual/timer record, it state there is a conflict even thougg no other recodings are scheduled...

Issue 2: It will not record the Closed Captioning for NBC. Both my ABC and NBC programming come from the same station. ABC CC is OK, except for it sometimes includes extra text that looks like Greek, but it is functional. I have no problem watching "Revolution" on my Haier HDTV with CC, but when I go to the same episode on the DVR+, there is no CC except for maybe s word or two every so often. Maybe, one whole line per show. Grimm is the same way. I will say this, the station, KBMT, is downconverting NBC from 1080 to 720 HD.

#2,724 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2700_100#post_24497299

With all due respect, I don't feel that it's "unreasonable" for (at least) some of us to expect this unit to do what it claims it can and not be so quirky that you don't know what to expect from it from one day to the next (or even one hour to the next)! . . .

We shouldn't simply accept problems with units such as these as the norm! . . .

offering a refund is basically a cop out if a unit is truly malfunctioning . . .
There is a difference between reproducible bugs and situational issues. Most of the issues being reported are situational for a given user or given location. For example, User A's DVR+ can tune in all the channels his TV gets and a few more -- User B's DVR+ misses some channels his TV tunes. Is that a bug in the DVR+ or just a consequence of the design and the reality that it won't work in all situations for all people.

User A is happy his DVR+ gets more channels, but now should User A proclaim that his TV has a bug because it can't tune all the channels the DVR+ can? If it really bothered him, User A could return his TV for a refund and purchase a different model in the hopes that it will match the number of channels the DVR+ gets.

CM is giving User B the same option with his DVR+ -- it doesn't work to your satisfaction in your situation so we offer you a refund so you can try a different product. That is not a cop-out, that is good business. People buy and try products all the time and return those they are not satisfied with to try something else.

#2,725 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAhead  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2700#post_24497341

First, it will not, whatevee I do, record the CBS station... (Local, full power and no reception problems in any other device on the same antenna system. I can even watch CBS on the DVR+) It just WILL NOT record the station. When I try to do a manual/timer record, it state there is a conflict even thougg no other recodings are scheduled...

Issue 2: It will not record the Closed Captioning for NBC. Both my ABC and NBC programming come from the same station. ABC CC is OK, except for it sometimes includes extra text that looks like Greek, but it is functional. I have no problem watching "Revolution" on my Haier HDTV with CC, but when I go to the same episode on the DVR+, there is no CC except for maybe s word or two every so often. Maybe, one whole line per show. Grimm is the same way. I will say this, the station, KBMT, is downconverting NBC from 1080 to 720 HD.

Not saying your issues aren't DVR+ related per se but I have had similar happen with WMC and TiVo. One case I could view the channel with the HDHomeRun viewer but couldn't with both TiVo and WMC. The channel's schedule was fine although they must have been sending funky PSIP data as each reported no signal when I tried to record or even view in this case. It lasted roughly a day. I found out I could view the channel using another frequency about the time they fixed it. It just happened a second time a few weeks back and I called their tech line once again. It was resolved shortly afterwards.

Bottom line not all devices treat/handle everything the same way... and they have to rely on the station to a large degree.

#2,726 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2700#post_24496964
[Chuck, we are done with timestamps! Also quoting yourself is tsk,tsk,tsk ... you could that less obtrusive, ... by URL for sake of argumentation
]

What I post is my business, not yours.  I quoted myself to add the context required for some additional information I had to add.

Chuck

#2,727 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2700_100#post_24497299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2670#post_24486545

With some of the whiny complainers who want it to make coffee and toast for them for breakfast, a refund is the way to go.  Some people have unreasonable expectations, and they will never be satisfied with anything technical support can do.  For them, a refund is the right thing for CM to suggest.

With all due respect, I don't feel that it's "unreasonable" for (at least) some of us to expect this unit to do what it claims it can and not be so quirky that you don't know what to expect from it from one day to the next (or even one hour to the next)!

As I stated previously.....I, for one, have had minimal issues and haven't even called for technical support.....however, from what I've been reading here, these units are still a work in progress and the "whiny complainers" that you speak of may very well be justified!

We shouldn't simply accept problems with units such as these as the norm!

I'm addition, I reiterate.....offering a refund is basically a cop out if a unit is truly malfunctioning, since it would be to CM's benefit to truly satisfy their customers by providing them with a properly functioning unit

(so perhaps they would truly be satisfied and even recommend it to others.....instead of being left out in the cold)!

Perhaps my post was not sufficiently clear.  Not all complaints have been unreasonable, nor did I ever intend to suggest that they were.  However, if you have read all of the complaints online, you will find some ridiculous nonsensical things that people have stated, showing that they are completely unreasonable and consequently there is no hope of anything satisfying them.  (If any appear in this thread, it would likely be a violation of forum rules for me to point out examples, as it would likely be regarded as insulting to point out idiocy in forum members.  Consequently, if any appear in this thread, you will need to look for yourself.)  Notice certain words in my statements that you quoted, here with added emphasis:

With some of the whiny complainers who want it to make coffee and toast for them for breakfast, a refund is the way to go.  Some people have unreasonable expectations ...

It should be obvious from that that I am not referring to everyone.  If I were, I would have used the word "all" or "every" rather than "some."  I hope I do not need to provide a link to a dictionary for people to see what the word "some" means, but I rather wonder given the fact that some people seem to imagine it is a synonym for "all."

Reactions: Foradrive
#2,728 ·
I wonder how many other buyers of this DVR+ have been experiencing trouble that don't know of or don't participate on AVS. So even if many here claim the buyers of this DVR+ that got a buggy or truly defective item (like me) are overrepresented here, there are still potentially a whole lot of others like us out there you people never heard from.

And if some of you are considering that I'm one of the "whiners", I've made it clear several times that I bought the DVR+ based upon what Channel Master said it could do, not a dream list. And I've also said I would have been happy with it at the issue price and would have kept it had it done what it was said (by CM) to be able to do. Mine simply didn't work right in a number of ways, and I returned it with the intention (also previously stated here in this thread) of repurchasing one down the line once CM gets it figured out.

In other posts I had listed some of the features I would like in the next generation DVR from Channel Master, and clearly stated that I expected it would cost more, and I was willing to pay for those features.

I had also posted that there were many things the DTVPalDVR did better than the DVR+. That is not to say I'm ignoring the firmware updates that got it to that state. It's just that in the final F208 version of the DTVPalDVR everything worked right on all five units I had, and they were all extremely reliable. Had they been able to get a good guide to replace the TVGOS they lost, there would be no need at this time to look at replacing them. I would have expected any new release of a DVR by CM to have been able to do at least what previous generations did well, and build from there. But for whatever reasons, they didn't.

I'm hoping to see them come out with a truly well-working DVR with many more functions (either new or replace ones they've compromised in this version) to produce a truly outstanding OTA/Internet DVR that will be second to none, so we don't have to keep hearing from others what the competition has gotten right and that CM failed at. I myself have been a loyal purchaser and user of Channel Master branded products for close to 40 years. To see them recently cut corners and produce less than acceptable products over recent years is truly disappointing.

#2,729 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2700#post_24497837

However, if you have read all of the complaints online, you will find some ridiculous nonsensical things that people have stated, showing that they are completely unreasonable and consequently there is no hope of anything satisfying them.

With some of the whiny complainers who want it to make coffee and toast for them for breakfast, a refund is the way to go.  Some people have unreasonable expectations ...

I have been following this forum closely and even though I don't own a DVR- (or plus) depending on if you like it , I have voiced my opinions, and I think free speech and an exchange of ideas is what this country is all about. If people want to whine no one is forcing you or anyone else on this forum to read their posts. If you start reading something you don't like stop and move on. It's like your TV. You can view what you want.

#2,730 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2700#post_24498107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2700#post_24497837

However, if you have read all of the complaints online, you will find some ridiculous nonsensical things that people have stated, showing that they are completely unreasonable and consequently there is no hope of anything satisfying them.

I have been following this forum closely and even though I don't own a DVR- (or plus) depending on if you like it , I have voiced my opinions, and I think free speech and an exchange of ideas is what this country is all about. If people want to whine no one is forcing you or anyone else on this forum to read their posts. If you start reading something you don't like stop and move on. It's like your TV. You can view what you want.

Tell that to Dave Zatz!

#2,731 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2700_100#post_24498107

Quote:

You might want to look at the original post:

post #2678

It was explaining why it is reasonable for Channel Master to offer a refund to some people who were not satisfied, even though their device was working.  (Obviously, it is reasonable to offer a refund for a product that does not work.)

I never stated that people did not have the right to be idiotic whiny complainers.  Many people cherish the right to be morons, and I have no wish to quarrel with them about it.

[As for the idea of freedom of speech, this site has its rules, which I would expect its owners to enforce as they see fit.  So there are limits to what can be posted here, and remain posted.  But in general, people have the right to be as moronic as they like.]

As for many others who have problems with the DVR+, there are several very legitimate complaints about this product, which, if you are a careful reader of this thread as you claim, you will have observed me stating already.  Repeatedly.

Also, the name of the device is "DVR+," whether or not you or anyone else likes it, and whether or not it is aptly named.  Of course, people can call it whatever they wish to call it.  They are free to call it "fishmonger's delight" if they wish to do so.  But regardless of what anyone chooses to call it, its name is "DVR+."

#2,733 ·

lots of reports received here

going forward, please limit your posts to technical issues, and please don't bash another member...or you will be asked to leave the thread

#2,734 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishmosh  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2670#post_24489910

I think I'm in the same market as you but I only keep main Cleveland channels (7 total). I have no problem with CBS showing up in the guide at all. My reception is via attic antenna and I am not far from the Parma antenna farm so I basically get all channels with strong reception. I wonder too if the zip you enter matters. If you are pulling in 19.1 CBS cleveland, maybe try a zip closer to cleveland than akron? Mine is 44147 which is just at the border of Cuyahoga/Summit counties.

We are pretty much in the same market.  I am in Cuyahoga Falls.  My zip code 44221. I did a factory reset over the weekend and the guide showed information for 19.2 (MeTV) but not 19.1 (CBS).  I waited a day to see if it might magically fix it self, but that did not happen.  I'm going to try another factory reset tonight.  I am skeptical of changing zip codes, as last week the guide was showing programming for 19.1, but I'm not going to rule that out and I am willing to try it.

#2,735 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxc42  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2730#post_24498507

We are pretty much in the same market.  I am in Cuyahoga Falls.  My zip code 44221. I did a factory reset over the weekend and the guide showed information for 19.2 (MeTV) but not 19.1 (CBS).  I waited a day to see if it might magically fix it self, but that did not happen.  I'm going to try another factory reset tonight.  I am skeptical of changing zip codes, as last week the guide was showing programming for 19.1, but I'm not going to rule that out and I am willing to try it.

I would report issues like this to CM, especially if you've not changed your zip code from last week when you got guide info for 19.1 (I'm assuming you got the full 2 weeks and not just a day or so of PSIP information). Another user had guide issues and after a report to CM it got fixed. The speculation in this forum was that CM being a client of Rovi can open a support ticket given sufficient accurate information which could lead to a fix.

#2,736 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2700#post_24497990

I wonder how many other buyers of this DVR+ have been experiencing trouble that don't know of or don't participate on AVS. So even if many here claim the buyers of this DVR+ that got a buggy or truly defective item (like me) are overrepresented here, there are still potentially a whole lot of others like us out there you people never heard from.

And if some of you are considering that I'm one of the "whiners", I've made it clear several times that I bought the DVR+ based upon what Channel Master said it could do, not a dream list. And I've also said I would have been happy with it at the issue price and would have kept it had it done what it was said (by CM) to be able to do. Mine simply didn't work right in a number of ways, and I returned it with the intention (also previously stated here in this thread) of repurchasing one down the line once CM gets it figured out.

In other posts I had listed some of the features I would like in the next generation DVR from Channel Master, and clearly stated that I expected it would cost more, and I was willing to pay for those features.

I had also posted that there were many things the DTVPalDVR did better than the DVR+. That is not to say I'm ignoring the firmware updates that got it to that state. It's just that in the final F208 version of the DTVPalDVR everything worked right on all five units I had, and they were all extremely reliable. Had they been able to get a good guide to replace the TVGOS they lost, there would be no need at this time to look at replacing them. I would have expected any new release of a DVR by CM to have been able to do at least what previous generations did well, and build from there. But for whatever reasons, they didn't.

I'm hoping to see them come out with a truly well-working DVR with many more functions (either new or replace ones they've compromised in this version) to produce a truly outstanding OTA/Internet DVR that will be second to none, so we don't have to keep hearing from others what the competition has gotten right and that CM failed at. I myself have been a loyal purchaser and user of Channel Master branded products for close to 40 years. To see them recently cut corners and produce less than acceptable products over recent years is truly disappointing.

......ditto!

#2,737 ·

Quote:

Perhaps my post was not sufficiently clear.  Not all complaints have been unreasonable, nor did I ever intend to suggest that they were.  However, if you have read all of the complaints online, you will find some ridiculous nonsensical things that people have stated, showing that they are completely unreasonable and consequently there is no hope of anything satisfying them.  (If any appear in this thread, it would likely be a violation of forum rules for me to point out examples, as it would likely be regarded as insulting to point out idiocy in forum members.  Consequently, if any appear in this thread, you will need to look for yourself.)  Notice certain words in my statements that you quoted, here with added emphasis:

It should be obvious from that that I am not referring to everyone.  If I were, I would have used the word "all" or "every" rather than "some."  I hope I do not need to provide a link to a dictionary for people to see what the word "some" means, but I rather wonder given the fact that some people seem to imagine it is a synonym for "all."

You quoted my post.....therefore it should be abundantly clear to you that I was referring to "some".....not all, individuals!.....I did not take your comments out of context.

Besides, from what I've read here, the vast majority of complaints are justified and not at all unreasonable!

Here's an example:

I have a friend who lives in a highly questionable signal location. His DTVpal DVR has had major issues with certain channels. Some time ago, I brought over an original CM-7000 DTA converter box. Same identical signal conditions. Amazing difference!.....

Channels that were questionable (freezing, pixelating, etc.). were solid as a rock! So.....since this was a good option for testing out the DVR+, I decided to set it up at his place. The results were poor at best!

Similar to his DTVpal DVR.....but worse!

Bottom line....it appears as if quite a few of the complaints against the DVR+ have been related to signal strength and/or quality. It's beyond frustrating to know that CM themselves produced a DTA converter box (CM-7000) that overcame questionable and/or weak signals!.....

Had the DVR+ incorporated a quality tuner (such as the one used in the CM-7000 DTA box) it would've made the unit far superior to what it actually is.....and it wouldn't have been nearly as location sensitive as it is (therefore alienating many potential users and forcing them to return their units....since there's no fix for a mediocre tuner......other than a better tuner!)......

It's sad that a basic DTA converter (such as the original CM-7000 or the Zenith) could do such a far superior job with questionable signals.....for a mere $60.00 (originally)!.....

I'm curious to know how much "real world" testing was done prior to releasing this unit to the public (at least in terms of signal conditions)?

#2,738 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2730#post_24500161

Had the DVR+ incorporated a quality tuner (such as the one used in the CM-7000 DTA box) it would've made the unit far superior to what it actually is...

It would make zero difference for me and most everyone else. I have zero issues receiving my available channels. Taking an issue (however rightfully so for you and a few others) and trying to define its value based on it doesn't make sense. I think that is the main complaint against the complainers

Reactions: DawnSun
#2,739 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2730#post_24500419

It would make zero difference for me and most everyone else. I have zero issues receiving my available channels. Taking an issue (however rightfully so for you and a few others) and trying to define its value based on it doesn't make sense. I think that is the main complaint against the complainers

So basically what your trying to emphasize is that it's OK for them to downgrade the quality of the tuner (relative to the CM-7000 DTA converter) in the assumption that the vast majority of users will have ideal (or close to ideal) signal strength/quality?.....

Again "real world" vs. the lab.

#2,740 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1  /t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread/2730#post_24500602

So basically what your trying to emphasize is that it's OK for them to downgrade the quality of the tuner (relative to the CM-7000 DTA converter) in the assumption that the vast majority of users will have ideal (or close to ideal) signal strength/quality?.....

I have zero knowledge on why they picked the tuner/electronics they did... from experience these decisions are based on a variety of factors. Most obviously unknown to us.

However if you read what I rode I said... not sure I can make it any simpler... judging something via one feature it doesn't have and dismissing it accordingly fails to realize its real value to the market. Your logic suggests if something can't do everything better than another device it shouldn't exist. I presume there are many features it offers others don't... like guide data.