Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #4111 of 4264 Old 07-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Now, Tony, I'm really confused. You have two antennas, one preamp, two downleads and two receiving devices. I cannot picture how you could possibly have this wired-up, and I'm going to guess that any CM reps that try to help you will be similarly befuddled.

ETA: Hey! Our DVR+ just arrived

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 07-03-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4112 of 4264 Old 07-03-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Jim, first, congrats! Great timing before the 4th and the long weekend...

The RCA preamp is also a combiner, so has two inputs and one output. It sits on the mast below the CS4 and above the ANT751.

I have two coaxial lines up there (connect to preamp output), where one is for the DVR+ (about 6 feet shorter), and the other is for direct-to-TV testing. I hope that makes sense. Hooking-up a long coax to the DVR+ is somewhat problematic as it pushes it off the shelf! The DVR+ is quite small, think iPad-like. Very neat and clean looking, as you know by now... Having a shorter coax, cut to fit, keeps the DVR+ in place and also with the slightly added benefit of less attenuation.

At the end of coax in the house is the power injector for the RCA preamp, and that is what screws into the DVR+ or TV, depending upon which tuner is being used or tested.

NOTE - before making a separate, shorter coax run for the DVR+, I used the longer one that I had in place first for the TV. The results were as described, not ideal. I then created the dedicated coax segment for the DVR+, for the reason explained. Either way, fewer channels and notably worse on a couple others for the DVR+...

If all the channels you want are strong, non-marginal ones, I trust that the DVR+ will be a winner for you!

Last edited by TonyB1966; 07-03-2014 at 11:50 AM.
post #4113 of 4264 Old 07-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
Jim, first, congrats! Great timing before the 4th and the long weekend...
Unfortunately it was not to be. They delivered to me a unit with a bad remote. That bodes badly. They were not interested in overnighting a replacement, so I've requested a full refund and a call tag.

Channel Master has burned me for $21 (the 2nd day air shipping for which I paid), they'll not get a chance to ever burn me for another red cent ever again.

I'll be leaving this thread, now soon, since I've no further interest in their product.

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 07-03-2014 at 02:16 PM.
post #4114 of 4264 Old 07-03-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Unfortunately it was not to be. They delivered to me a unit with a bad remote. That bodes badly. They were not interested in overnighting a replacement, so I've requested a full refund and a call tag.

Channel Master has burned me for $21 (the 2nd day air shipping for which I paid), they'll not get a chance to ever burn me for another red cent ever again.

I'll be leaving this thread, now, since I've no further interest in their product.

Jim
Damn, really sorry to hear that Jim. Did that plastic piece remove properly from the remote? I suppose you might be gone from this thread already...
post #4115 of 4264 Old 07-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Damn, really sorry to hear that Jim.
*shrug* Stuff happens.

Quote:
Did that plastic piece remove properly from the remote? I suppose you might be gone from this thread already...
"Properly?" It came out--but it took a fair bit of force. I had the battery compartment open and tested the batteries. It's bum electronics.

Too bad: I'd really been looking forward to putting the thing through its paces. I can only hope that somebody else comes out with a similar product--only better made and with better QC.

Perhaps I'll look into building my own. Probably not. I don't really care that much about TV in the first place.

Jim
post #4116 of 4264 Old 07-03-2014, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post
Curious......
How do you know (for a fact) that this forum is actively monitored?
Perhaps it is but unfortunately, (unlike other manufacturers) Channel Master has never indicated that they were monitoring this forum and no one has actually confirmed this. Have you?
Is this an assumption?
Possibly a good assumption but is it factual?
[snip]
No, I've not confirmed it. As you say, "a good assumption" based on having read every single post on this forum over the months.
post #4117 of 4264 Old 07-04-2014, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Jim
LOL. Sounds like you've got more issues than the remote.
av8riam likes this.
post #4118 of 4264 Old 07-05-2014, 07:05 PM

Have any of you found the DVR+'s signal strength and signal quality meters screwy at times?

Doing some experimenting this afternoon, and channel 7.1, usually quite strong direct to TV, was struggling a bit with the DVR+ in the loop. While monitoring signal strength and quality, they were both at 100. Then it went black, still both at 100. Later, it seemed to be working fine, fluctuating up and down with the reception, as would expect. Not much after that, the channel when on the fritz again, but 100's on strength and quality...

Anyone else notice this before? I even took a photo of the black screen, with 100's.
post #4119 of 4264 Old 07-05-2014, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Have any of you found the DVR+'s signal strength and signal quality meters screwy at times?

Doing some experimenting this afternoon, and channel 7.1, usually quite strong direct to TV, was struggling a bit with the DVR+ in the loop. While monitoring signal strength and quality, they were both at 100. Then it went black, still both at 100. Later, it seemed to be working fine, fluctuating up and down with the reception, as would expect. Not much after that, the channel when on the fritz again, but 100's on strength and quality...

Anyone else notice this before? I even took a photo of the black screen, with 100's.
Sounds like you've got too much signal strength going into the DVR+, something it does not handle well and does not give any warning of except for sudden dropouts in the signal strength and picture quality.
post #4120 of 4264 Old 07-05-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
There can be such a thing as too strong of a signal.
post #4121 of 4264 Old 07-05-2014, 08:29 PM

Good points, thank you.

This channel is not one of the strongest ones I receive. The tower is over 62 miles away, so I'm not sure that's it...

I think more importantly though is that when it was on the fritz later, the DVR+ strength and quality meters were reflecting poor reception, which was evident. It was not getting adequate signal, which I tend to believe, as opposed to too much when it read 100's a couple times, and the picture and sound were also very poor.

Maybe not many look at signal info all that much and with that notice what I've experienced.

I'm about to revert back to a TV connection (no DVR+) for a couple hours, for comparison purposes....

Last edited by TonyB1966; 07-05-2014 at 08:33 PM.
post #4122 of 4264 Old 07-06-2014, 02:21 PM

Liked: 16
(1) What is the limit on the number of scheduled recordings?

I was setting up a manual recording of the men's Wimbledon final, and the unit did not allow me to do so. I received a message saying that I had too many events scheduled and needed to delete some to free up "resources" so another recording could be scheduled.

So I went to the "scheduled recordings" list and deleted two; I was then allowed to schedule the manual recording.

I searched the online DVR+ manual and all the Q&A online, but I didn't find any mention of a limit on the number of scheduled recordings.

(2) No red triangle in manual recording? I rarely do manual recordings, but the tennis final could easily go over the three hours the Guide allows. After the recording was set up, a red line framed the five-hour period in the Guide, but no red triangle. Is that normal?

--DawnSun

DawnSun

Last edited by DawnSun; 07-06-2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Correct spellings.
post #4123 of 4264 Old 07-06-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSun View Post

I was setting up a manual recording of the men's Wimbledon final, and the unit did not allow me to do so. I received a message saying that I had too many events scheduled and needed to delete some to free up "resources" so another recording could be scheduled.

So I went to the "scheduled recordings" list and deleted two; I was then allowed to schedule the manual recording.

I searched the online DVR+ manual and all the Q&A online, but I didn't find any mention of a limit on the number of scheduled recordings.
OK, so how many recordings did you have scheduled when it reached its limit.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4124 of 4264 Old 07-06-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSun View Post

(2) No red triangle in manual recording? I rarely do manual recordings, but the tennis final could easily go over the three hours the Guide allows. After the recording was set up, a red line framed the five-hour period in the Guide, but no red triangle. Is that normal?

--DawnSun
At least a warning is better than a missed recording or a crash. How many recordings did you have scheduled?
The red triangle is used for Record by Name. The red box frame is used for Manual Recordings. You will also notice in the DVR Scheduled Recordings screen that instead of icons in the right column under Repeat you will see the word corresponding to your Manual Recording's Repeat setting (None, Weekly, or Daily).
post #4125 of 4264 Old 07-07-2014, 08:50 AM

Liked: 1
Greetings All:

I ordered my DVR+ last week, which is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Took advantage of the free wifi for the 4th.

Just a friendly hello to you all. Looking forward to giving it a run through.

tfs
post #4126 of 4264 Old 07-07-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_f_s View Post
Greetings All:

I ordered my DVR+ last week, which is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Took advantage of the free wifi for the 4th.

Just a friendly hello to you all. Looking forward to giving it a run through.

tfs
Welcome to the AVS forum! Hope the DVR+ suits your needs. Please share your experiences on the unit...
post #4127 of 4264 Old 07-08-2014, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My experience with the DVR+

I have been reading this forum for several months now and it seems many are experiencing what I experienced with the DVR+. Overall, I am very happy with the unit I purchased (in March) but it took a little effort and money getting there.

My first experience with the DVR+ was pretty poor as I was not able to get the same clear stations I could get with my tv. I called tech support, showed them my tvfool report and they suggested an external antenna. I am only twenty miles from the signal stations but there are plenty of trees in the way. They said I could return it for a full credit even after the 30-day return period ended but urged me to try a better antenna. I purchased a Mohu Leaf because I did not want to go through the effort and expense of an external antenna. It worked slightly better but some channels were still breaking up and unwatchable.

Finally, I bit the bullet and followed their suggestion and bought an external antenna. One week and I have not had one single blimp. All viewing has been totally clear even in bad weather.

My assessment: tuners in the DVR+ are not as good as my tv tuner but if you provide a good signal to the unit, it works great. It cost me an extra $150 but in my opinion it was worth every penny. Overall I like the DVR+. There are little things that I am not a huge fan of such as the remote but it is doing what I wanted it to do…..recording shows automatically so I can watch on my schedule and skip commercials. I would give it three and one half stars.
post #4130 of 4264 Old 07-08-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

@ducati900

When you post please leave the default colors alone. As a new poster to AVS you need to know that there is a Dark-skin that many people prefer. For those of us that use the Dark-skin, your post is invisible and needs to be highlighted in order to read it.
Johnla and kwg like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4131 of 4264 Old 07-08-2014, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
@ducati900

When you post please leave the default colors alone. As a new poster to AVS you need to know that there is a Dark-skin that many people prefer. For those of us that use the Dark-skin, your post is invisible and needs to be highlighted in order to read it.
I am using an older browser. That must be the problem because I did not change anything. I can't tell what you are talking about but I will check at home with my newer browser. Thanks for the heads up.
post #4132 of 4264 Old 07-08-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been using my unit for about a week now. My experience has been the opposite of what others have found on the tuners. I've found the tuners to be very good compared to other tuners in my house. Maybe their all absolute garbage? I have had a few other technical issues with the unit though. On one hard drive it kept losing my channels scanned in every morning. I bought one of the ones shown on the Channel Master DVR+ page in hopes of fixing this issue. I hooked up the new Seagate drive and lost my channel scans again the next day. I hooked up the Seagate to the PC and made sure the sleep timer was turned off. I didn't lose the scans for a few days..problem solved right? I had to shutdown my AV equipment as I was moving things around and getting rid of old stuff. I plugged in the DVR+ and again no scans, no schedules, etc. I could see my old recordings fine. I scanned things back in and now the guide won't update past 24 hours. Is there a way to force a guide update? I checked the internet connection to it with the Vudu app and it works fine, it's a wired connection, even the network status shows it is connected.

I like the interface and ease of use but this losing the scans and such makes me not trust this thing at all. Any tips before I pack it up and send it back and go to something else? I was trying to stick with this box since it didn't have any fees and the ease of use for the wife was a big plus.
post #4133 of 4264 Old 07-08-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati900 View Post
I am using an older browser. That must be the problem because I did not change anything. I can't tell what you are talking about but I will check at home with my newer browser. Thanks for the heads up.
When your post is quoted, here is the first part of what comes up in the edit screen:

[QUOTE=ducati900;25577017][COLOR=black]I am using an older browser. . .

So whatever you are using is changing the font color to black in your posts.

- kelson h

post #4134 of 4264 Old 07-08-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
I've been using my unit for about a week now. My experience has been the opposite of what others have found on the tuners. I've found the tuners to be very good compared to other tuners in my house. Maybe their all absolute garbage? I have had a few other technical issues with the unit though. On one hard drive it kept losing my channels scanned in every morning. I bought one of the ones shown on the Channel Master DVR+ page in hopes of fixing this issue. I hooked up the new Seagate drive and lost my channel scans again the next day. I hooked up the Seagate to the PC and made sure the sleep timer was turned off. I didn't lose the scans for a few days..problem solved right? I had to shutdown my AV equipment as I was moving things around and getting rid of old stuff. I plugged in the DVR+ and again no scans, no schedules, etc. I could see my old recordings fine. I scanned things back in and now the guide won't update past 24 hours. Is there a way to force a guide update? I checked the internet connection to it with the Vudu app and it works fine, it's a wired connection, even the network status shows it is connected.

I like the interface and ease of use but this losing the scans and such makes me not trust this thing at all. Any tips before I pack it up and send it back and go to something else? I was trying to stick with this box since it didn't have any fees and the ease of use for the wife was a big plus.

First I have heard or read of that issue. I would suggest you call CM and make them aware you have to rescan channels every day. I think you got a defect.

Last edited by artisticimaging; 07-08-2014 at 11:22 AM.
post #4135 of 4264 Old 07-08-2014, 11:34 AM

I've been having issues with the channel guide not updating info for a couple of days. It isn't downloading the rovi info. I contacted CM and just received a response that they are having trouble communicating with rovi and the problem should be fixed soon.
post #4136 of 4264 Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 PM

Liked: 94
Quote:
On one hard drive it kept losing my channels scanned in every morning. I bought one of the ones shown on the Channel Master DVR+ page in hopes of fixing this issue. I hooked up the new Seagate drive and lost my channel scans again the next day.
I don't understand why you'd think channels would disappear from the hard drive. I thought the drive was only for storage of programs and their index, and the channel scan programming was in the DVR+ unit itself.

post #4137 of 4264 Old 07-08-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
I don't understand why you'd think channels would disappear from the hard drive. I thought the drive was only for storage of programs and their index, and the channel scan programming was in the DVR+ unit itself.

Because it was an old 750gig western digital drive that I couldn't turn off the sleep timer. So I was doing the normal troubleshooting thing of knocking things off the punch list.
post #4138 of 4264 Old 07-08-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawz View Post
I've been having issues with the channel guide not updating info for a couple of days. It isn't downloading the rovi info. I contacted CM and just received a response that they are having trouble communicating with rovi and the problem should be fixed soon.
I got the same thing. I'm going to factory reset later just to be sure and try to break it but shutting it down a couple times for an hour or so to see if it will lose my scans.
post #4139 of 4264 Old 07-08-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:

What exactly do you mean by "channel scans"? You should only have to do a channel scan of available TV stations in your area once during your initial setup. I don't understand how your external hard drive could affect what channels are scanned by the DVR+ or why you should have to repeat a channel scan (from the Settings menu under Tuner) unless your antenna setup changed and you wanted to search for additional stations.

As for the quality of the DVR+ tuners, my experience is that none of the other tuner boxes I have used are as good as my Sony TV, and none of the other boxes provide the depth of signal diagnostics that my Sony TV does.
post #4140 of 4264 Old 07-08-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post
What exactly do you mean by "channel scans"? You should only have to do a channel scan of available TV stations in your area once during your initial setup. I don't understand how your external hard drive could affect what channels are scanned by the DVR+ or why you should have to repeat a channel scan (from the Settings menu under Tuner) unless your antenna setup changed and you wanted to search for additional stations.

As for the quality of the DVR+ tuners, my experience is that none of the other tuner boxes I have used are as good as my Sony TV, and none of the other boxes provide the depth of signal diagnostics that my Sony TV does.
See post above about why I thought the hard drive. It was probably also due to the reboot losing my channels like I noted with the new hard drive. Apparently I have a flaky device that loses the schedules and scanned in channels during a reboot. I've had to scan my channels back in like 4 or 5 times since I've had the unit as I wake up in the morning and the guide is blank and no channels are available.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page