36Likes

post #4141 of 4165 Old 07-08-2014, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
OK, so how many recordings did you have scheduled when it reached its limit.
What is the limit on the number of scheduled recordings?

Thanks Kelson for the reply. And thanks MKS13 for the PM.

I had about 10 to 12 recordings scheduled when I tried to schedule the manual recording. All of them repeats. Now I have nine, and it's letting me schedule recordings via the Guide. But I haven't tried another manual recording.

The manual recording I attempted did not overlap other programs, nor was I trying to record more than two at one time.

The manual recording was set to begin at midday, a time when I almost never set a recording. No other programs in the scheduled recordings list were (or are) set for noon.

So, is there a limit on the number of scheduled recordings? Do others have a long list of scheduled recordings?

Cheers,
DawnSun

DawnSun

Last edited by DawnSun; 07-08-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4165 Old 07-08-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post
Yes, apparently your do have a flaky device then, since your DVR+ is not retaining the list of channels in its internal memory when the unit is powered off at night or is reset. And since the DVR+ doesn't remember the list of channels, Rovi doesn't have anything to put in the Guide.
I agree 100%. But my experience with Rovi, unless they changed a lot, was that the guide comes from your zipcode. Day one is first to fill in, and perhaps day 5 and 14. If you change your zipcode a guide will still happen, just for the wrong lineup.

His unit does sound bad.
post #4143 of 4165 Old 07-08-2014, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I agree 100%. But my experience with Rovi, unless they changed a lot, was that the guide comes from your zipcode. Day one is first to fill in, and perhaps day 5 and 14. If you change your zipcode a guide will still happen, just for the wrong lineup.
My understanding is that Rovi guide listings are created by regions, with each region covering many zipcodes. If for some reason you find Rovi is not providing guide information for some of your received channels, you might get a better match by choosing a zipcode from an adjacent region. It appears that just by changing your zipcode you force Rovi to re-initialize the guide, so that may help solve some guide issues.
post #4144 of 4165 Old 07-08-2014, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Does it not rescan the channels if you change the zip code?
post #4145 of 4165 Old 07-08-2014, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
All, I've decided to return the DVR+ and not wait to speak with the CM engineers next week. Much has to do with travel plans and my continued testing / experimentation, which continues to show that the tuner/s in the DVR+ are not getting two very important, tough get channels for us (FOX and CBS) that we can obtain with the TV's tuner.

The DVR+ remains my most desired DVR solution; so I'm bummed with this outcome. I will monitor CM's future offerings and if I learn that a different tuner was used, I'll gladly give this a try again...

Last edited by TonyB1966; 07-08-2014 at 05:34 PM.
post #4146 of 4165 Old 07-08-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
It would depend. It depends if the DVR+ does a scan after entering the zipcode. It would also depend on the zipcode selected whether it matters. When the DTVPal came out it included a table of locations and Nielson's DMA numbers (Desigated Market Area). Such that a zipcode change in a urban area may do nothing or it may cause the guide lineup to change. The zipcode is really important for cable since there may be 2 or more lineups in one zipcode. Consider that OTA is so wide in its coverage and cable is very narrow.
So if you change your zipcode to 18901, the DVR+ will get the guide for Las Vegas. Rovi doesn't care. My Sony TV has a Rovi guide that I never use.
BTW, the DMA for NYC is 1. It ranks by market size. My zipcode is 17921. I can't get OTA without a 500' tower.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_Market_Area

Last edited by JoeKustra; 07-08-2014 at 05:58 PM.
post #4147 of 4165 Old 07-08-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
When you first setup the DVR+ the tuner scans all possible TV channels and detects which ones are being received through your antenna connection. This can take a while. As as soon as that is finished, you can view any available channel in your area, but the Program Guide information may not be complete. You will see the program data provided by PSIP first, since it comes directly from the received TV signals, but it may only cover only the next 12 to 48 hours.

Based on your zipcode, the Rovi software in the DVR+ will then start adding more program guide information which it receives though your internet connection to Rovi's data server. The Rovi program guide information covers about two weeks, but it may take 15 minutes or so to show up. The Rovi guide information you get will depend on the channels it has data for based on your zipcode. It should provide about two weeks of data for all your major network channels, but probably not for some local stations and some sub-channels.

When you change your zipcode your DVR+ does not automatically initiate a scan of all the TV channels connected to your antenna, but Rovi will begin to refresh the information in the program guide based on the new zipcode. If the data Rovi has for the new zipcode is in the same region as the old one you may not notice any change. If you choose a zipcode from a distant city beyond the reach of your antenna, you would probably end up will only PSIP data in your program guide.
artisticimaging likes this.
post #4148 of 4165 Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
Welcome to the AVS forum! Hope the DVR+ suits your needs. Please share your experiences on the unit...
So far so good.

The good:
-The Wifi dongle works fine.

-The tuner picked up all of the stations that my TV had previously found. I have an antenna rotator, and without rotating the antenna it found all of the stations to the north, east and south of me. With my TV tuner I had to rotate to see all of those.

-It liked my old Seagate 750 gig hard drive that I stuck on it, and the disk initialization was very fast.

-I found a code that my Vizio TV likes. The first 10 or so I tried worked in varying degrees, but finally I found one where the (volume/screen format/source) all work.

-It recorded 7-8 programs that I chose overnight - which to some degree is a negative, because now I've got an incentive to sit around on my duff and watch TV when I should be productive.

The so-so:

-The on screen menus are slow to respond and scroll.

-I had to run the firmware update a couple of times before it successfully downloaded the new firmware. And it took about 10 minutes to download. There's no way it's that big. I've got a 50 megabit download pipe, and I regularly get 2-5 megaBYTES per second download speed. I was afraid that I bricked the unit for a minute there.

-The body of the device is too small. I understand that thin is impressive, but there's no reason to not make it more of an industry standard size unless you want to either show off, or ensure that nothing else sits on top of it. As an engineer, I'd have made it a little thicker, and a few inches wider. Possibly to fit a standard rack mount.

The unknown:
I am concerned about privacy, and I wonder if any of you know whether or not this thing reports my veiwing habits to anyone... be it Roku or Channel-Master?
post #4149 of 4165 Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_f_s View Post
The good:
-It recorded 7-8 programs that I chose overnight - which to some degree is a negative, because now I've got an incentive to sit around on my duff and watch TV when I should be productive.
On the other hand, the big positive is that it allows you to be more selective and hence much more efficient in your viewing. Record a bunch of new shows -- scan through them when you get time and if it is a clunker after 10 min you delete and move on to the next. Record the shows you like and watch when you get the time. No time, currently? Keep recording and collecting for a couple weeks or months then binge watch on a Saturday night -- all the while skipping through commercials so you can watch an hour-long show in 40 min. I like to collect new shows during the season for watching in the summer. So far I've dumped 3 of them after not being able to make it through the first episode. Others get dumped if they get canceled mid-season or canceled after the season without having wrapped up the series. Lots of your time will be saved by not getting invested in a new show that ultimately has no future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
The unknown:
I am concerned about privacy, and I wonder if any of you know whether or not this thing reports my veiwing habits to anyone... be it Roku or Channel-Master?
Good question. I don't think anyone knows the answer for sure. It is a risk we all run with any Internet connected device starting with the cookies in your browser.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4150 of 4165 Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I noticed CM now sells a unit with 1T hard drive for $399. Is there any real advantage other than convenience? I think I still like the external drive that is easy to replace or upgrade.

Anybody else concerned about how long the guide will be supported? CM is clear that is out of their control. I would have thought they would have had a formal agreement to supply the data for a set time period. I suspect they do. It seems that is the nature of the beast for these devices with maybe the exception of Tivo.
post #4151 of 4165 Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM

If I connect the DVR+ to my AV receiver using the Toslink cable what happen to shows watch on VUDU that have 5.1 DD+ since Toslink doesn't support it? Will it be converted to 5.1?
post #4152 of 4165 Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phughes200 View Post
I noticed CM now sells a unit with 1T hard drive for $399. Is there any real advantage other than convenience? I think I still like the external drive that is easy to replace or upgrade.

Anybody else concerned about how long the guide will be supported? CM is clear that is out of their control. I would have thought they would have had a formal agreement to supply the data for a set time period. I suspect they do. It seems that is the nature of the beast for these devices with maybe the exception of Tivo.
Since they OEM the unit from Dish I believe the guide data would fall under their cross license agreements. CM would have no control over that.
post #4153 of 4165 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

Spoke with Channel Master's people this AM. While it's too early to elaborate publicly, there are some good apps in the pipeline I think folks will appreciate. And here's a pic of the drive/chassis.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-07/...aster-dvr-1tb/

post #4154 of 4165 Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Good question! I don't consider this unit to be "fee-free" while this issue remains unresolved.

One can imagine a scenario where thousands of people buy the unit in good faith only to discover somewhere down the road that new charges are added and CM just throws up their hands and says it's got nothing to do with us.

CM needs to sort this out and give some guarantees. Until then it's "Caveat emptor!"

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #4155 of 4165 Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae View Post
Good question! I don't consider this unit to be "fee-free" while this issue remains unresolved.

One can imagine a scenario where thousands of people buy the unit in good faith only to discover somewhere down the road that new charges are added and CM just throws up their hands and says it's got nothing to do with us.

CM needs to sort this out and give some guarantees. Until then it's "Caveat emptor!"
There are no guarantees. Real guide data costs money. The CM-7000 lost its guide when Rovi ended it. The CM-7400 offered a pay guide service -- is that still available for CM-7400 users? PSIP is always the fall-back position because that is the only guide data that will ever be "free" -- and you get what you pay for.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4156 of 4165 Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
P. Smith had that nailed very early on when he took it apart and identified the DVR+ hardware as a rework of an older European Dish DVR model. He noted the cutout in the PC board where the HDD went in the EU model. So they finally stuck in the extra interface chips and a HDD and inflated the price to where the CM-7000 and CM-7400 sold for in their day. $150 extra for the addition of some chips and a 1TB 2.5" drive is pretty pricey.

- kelson h

post #4157 of 4165 Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
P. Smith had that nailed very early on when he took it apart and identified the DVR+ hardware as a rework of an older European Dish DVR model. He noted the cutout in the PC board where the HDD went in the EU model. So they finally stuck in the extra interface chips and a HDD and inflated the price to where the CM-7000 and CM-7400 sold for in their day. $150 extra for the addition of some chips and a 1TB 2.5" drive is pretty pricey.
Actually, it only needed the connector, 4 coupling caps and a couple of termination resistors, probably less than 50 cents to Dish. The interface is baked into the chipset. The important factor was firmware that supported the internal SATA interface, so unless they do some bogus version checking on the board assembly there's no reason the internal drive firmware wouldn't work on the external drive model.
post #4158 of 4165 Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It has a hard drive in it now, the 16 GB. Where is that and what is the interface?
post #4159 of 4165 Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrach View Post
Actually, it only needed the connector, 4 coupling caps and a couple of termination resistors, probably less than 50 cents to Dish.
But enough to prevent the average user from just opening it up and dropping their own HDD in place.

- kelson h

post #4160 of 4165 Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It has a hard drive in it now, the 16 GB. Where is that and what is the interface?
Specs in post #1 indicate a 16GB Flash Drive.
post #4161 of 4165 Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM

I wonder if in the future the two units will share the same circuit board. From a manufacturing point of view I wouldn't think it would make sense to make two unique boards in this case.

For me, $150 is to high of a premium. I guess they had to price at this point if they wanted to sell the USB drive for $100.

As for the guide, it would nice to know how long it will be supported even if it means a small fee down the road. I have the same reservation with the Tablo and Simple.TV.
post #4162 of 4165 Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Spoke with Channel Master's people this AM. While it's too early to elaborate publicly, there are some good apps in the pipeline I think folks will appreciate.
Dave's news and the news about the internal drive version makes my day ... to me it means there's more support coming to this product, which is always good to know when you're constantly using it.
post #4163 of 4165 Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Spoke with Channel Master's people this AM. While it's too early to elaborate publicly, there are some good apps in the pipeline I think folks will appreciate. And here's a pic of the drive/chassis.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-07/...aster-dvr-1tb/

By any chance, can you tell what the make and model of the 2.5" HDD is? I don't see a sticker.

- kelson h

post #4164 of 4165 Old Today, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
New CM DVR

Anybody know whether the new DVR with 1TB HD has an updated, stronger tuner? If it doesn't it's certainly not worth the price. Why in the world CM would concentrate on including a built in hard drive when the box can barely pick up any stations is beyond me! Where are their priorities!!!! Get back to the basics first CM...
post #4165 of 4165 Old Today, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallmerk View Post
Anybody know whether the new DVR with 1TB HD has an updated, stronger tuner? If it doesn't it's certainly not worth the price. Why in the world CM would concentrate on including a built in hard drive when the box can barely pick up any stations is beyond me! Where are their priorities!!!! Get back to the basics first CM...
Because the built-in drive was designed in from the beginning.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List