38Likes

post #4171 of 4173 Old Today, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Update #1

I'll refrain from reciting the whole story and skip right to the Bottom Line: Monday, somebody from Channelmaster reached out to me. He agreed my situation could've been handled better, and gave me a choice: He'd send me a new remote or a pre-paid return label. During the conversation he reiterated his and CM's feeling that the DVR+ was a great product and that he felt that, had I been able to give it a fair go, I'd probably love it.

Well, when a vendor representative goes out of their way to reach out to me, I feel the effort should be rewarded by giving that vendor a chance to get my business. So I asked him to send me the replacement remote. Although I told him "no hurry," he overnighted it, anyway. I received it yesterday. Unlike the original remote: It works

Preliminary results and impressions...

First off: The tuners. Yep, they're a bit (?) weaker than that in our Samsung TV. There are several weaker, inconsequential, channels it didn't catch, and two that suffer breakup. Of those latter two: Only one is very important, and it's a duplicate (PBS). So, providing the thing passes the first stormy weather test on the other channels: We'll be okay with the tuner performance.

Networking: I ran into a couple issues. At first I thought I'd also gotten a bum WiFi adaptor. Turned out you have to explicitly check the WiFi radio button for it to see the adaptor. Once I did that, it was straight-forward... except... I found I couldn't perform a software update via WiFi. It tried, and failed. Luckily I have an Ethernet bridge right there, so I was able to supply it a wired connection for that. The upgrade went smoothly, after which I switched it back to the WiFi connection.

Other than those items... to be honest: I wanted to dislike the thing. The whole deal with the remote and so forth put me in a bad frame-of-mind regarding it. I wanted to dislike it, but I couldn't. In fact: So far the DVR+ strikes me as a very neat bit of kit!

Even the remote. I haven't tried to program it for the TV or anything, yet. Besides: I have an MX-500 Home Theater Master. But the remote, at least for running the DVR+, seems fine to me. Certainly not the worst I've ever used.

One thing, Channelmaster: I know it's a Channelmaster DVR. The PSIP pop-up when you change channels is nice, and the uptime delay is perfect, but could you maybe reduce the size of your self-advertizing banner, please?

Jim
jjeff and TonyB1966 like this.

Last edited by SEMIJim; Today at 10:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 4173 Old Today, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
By any chance, can you tell what the make and model of the 2.5" HDD is? I don't see a sticker.
That really doesn't look like 2.5" to me. It looks like it's a special small form drive.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

post #4173 of 4173 Old Today, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
I found I couldn't perform a software update via WiFi. It tried, and failed. Luckily I have an Ethernet bridge right there, so I was able to supply it a wired connection for that. The upgrade went smoothly, after which I switched it back to the WiFi connection.
Mine was the same thing... though I then tried a 3rd time, and forced myself to be patient, and it finally updated via WIFI. But as I recall the error it was showing seemed to imply that it was a WIFI issue, even though in hindsight I think it actually just needed more time. And when it did the firmware update it took a very long time to do the download. Literally about 10 minutes.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List