post #4201 of 4929 Old 07-12-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by noHatNoCattle View Post
I can't find documentation of how to do a manual channel scan and can't figure out the interface. I'd like to add a single channel. I enter "05" for the channel but it doesn't scan channel 5 successfully. Has anyone figured out Manual Channel Scan?
The channel number you enter needs to be the RF channel number, not the virtual channel number. You also need to go down to Scan and right to the selection buttons and select Start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 4929 Old 07-12-2014, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
If it makes you feel good to spend as much for a 256GB SSD as one would spend for a 3TB HDD to put in a DVR, who am I to argue.
Eh, I probably wouldn't do that, either. I'd like to, because, well, I've been playing with SSDs and they're cool , but, yeah, still too expensive for some applications.

Like I said: Got 'em in my new desktop/server at home. Blazing fast, utterly quiet, no heat and a fraction of the power consumption of an equivalent number of spinning rust drives. Same for my work laptop. Boss let me buy one with which to experiment. Doubled the laptop's time on battery, at least. And bloody fast. It's like a new laptop.

But, if we keep the DVR+, it'll be getting a plain old 1TB WD My Passport Ultra

Speaking of the DVR+: Watched a recorded show, last night. We were both quite pleased with the behaviour of the unit. We were especially pleased to see we had the ability to activate closed captions on recorded content.

I need to see if I have an unused S/PDIF input on my receiver. It would be nice to get 5:1 sound out of the thing.

Jim
post #4203 of 4929 Old 07-12-2014, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post
It's good to hear that overall the DVR+ is meeting your expectations. Have you tried the original Channel Master remote since you started using the Dish 20.1 remote? Is there a noticeable delay with it from the time you push a button on the remote until the power indicator lights up indicating the command has been transmitted? It's more likely that any delays in response are happening inside the DVR+ or that the DVR+ isn't receiving the signal properly and the command has to be repeated.
I went back and played with this a bit. There is still an obvious difference between the two remotes. There may be 4 to 5 button pushes with the DVR+ remote that are unresponsive and then it will work fine for a while. I have not had a case of unresponsiveness with the Dish 20.1 remote yet. Not sure if the DVR+ remote is defective and only transmits occasionally or if it just sends a weaker signal, but there is a noticeable difference still.
post #4204 of 4929 Old 07-12-2014, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherClone View Post
I went back and played with this a bit. There is still an obvious difference between the two remotes. There may be 4 to 5 button pushes with the DVR+ remote that are unresponsive and then it will work fine for a while.
Have you been careful to aim it well? TBH: I haven't noticed it being uncommonly unresponsive (I'm operating it from about 10-12 feet away), but I have noticed that you have to aim it well. This implies that perhaps the IR emitter's not very strong?

By comparison: My HTM MX-500 can be aimed just about anywhere and everything picks it up. (I haven't programmed it for the DVR+ yet.) I almost expect it to set the window curtains alight

Jim
post #4205 of 4929 Old 07-12-2014, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
rust drives.
Spinning media drives progressed beyond being brown 20+ years ago.
The disks have been as shiny as the chrome bumpers on a show car for at least that long.

Chuck
post #4206 of 4929 Old 07-12-2014, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I can't find documentation of how to do a manual channel scan and can't figure out the interface. I'd like to add a single channel. I enter "05" for the channel but it doesn't scan channel 5 successfully. Has anyone figured out Manual Channel Scan?
With the old analog TV system "Channel 5" referred to a specific broadcast frequency. With the digital TV system the channel number displayed on your TV such as "5.1" does not define a specific broadcast frequency. The result is that you can't just add a specific "channel number". Your tuner has to first scan the TV channel frequency bands to find which "channel numbers" are assigned to which TV signals.

If your DVR+ did not pick up your local "Channel 5.1" during its initial setup scan, the signal for channel 5.1 was probably not strong enough. With digital TV you have to have a strong signal or you don't see anything. If you have changed your antenna setup and want to see if the DVR+ can now find that channel, you can do a "Manual Scan" which will look for new channels without doing a Full Re-scan of all possible channels.

Press "Menu" on the remote, go to Settings, then Tuning and choose Manual Scan. Select "Scan" then highlight "Started" and press "OK". You should see a message which says "Please Wait". When I do that, after about 15 seconds I get a message which says "No Channels Added".
LloydSoCal likes this.

Last edited by Sandman905; 07-12-2014 at 08:09 AM.
post #4207 of 4929 Old 07-12-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Have you been careful to aim it well? TBH: I haven't noticed it being uncommonly unresponsive (I'm operating it from about 10-12 feet away), but I have noticed that you have to aim it well. This implies that perhaps the IR emitter's not very strong?
My DVR+ remote doesn't have to be aimed at all well. It's much better in this regard than some of my Panasonic TV remotes.

Chuck
post #4208 of 4929 Old 07-12-2014, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 58
FYI Crutchfield is now offering the new CM-7500TB1 DVR+ with the internal 1 TB HD and the Wi-Fi dongle for $439.99 (with free shipping included). Additionally Crutchfield offers a 60-day money-back guarantee and lifetime tech support on the merchandise that they sell.
post #4209 of 4929 Old 07-12-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
What are the call letters of your channel 5?
post #4210 of 4929 Old 07-12-2014, 12:50 PM

Liked: 14
Smart People on DTV PAL DVR Forum suggest getting the hard drive outside the unit for heat reasons (as well as upgrading size) and it has a fan. Does the same thinking apply here?
post #4211 of 4929 Old 07-12-2014, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
What are the call letters of your channel 5?
Hi Joe,

My bad. I may have been been entering channel 5 when I should have been entering channel 7. I tried channel 7 today and it worked ok. Call letters for channel 7 is KGO

noHatNoCattle
post #4212 of 4929 Old 07-12-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post
With the old analog TV system "Channel 5" referred to a specific broadcast frequency. With the digital TV system the channel number displayed on your TV such as "5.1" does not define a specific broadcast frequency. The result is that you can't just add a specific "channel number". Your tuner has to first scan the TV channel frequency bands to find which "channel numbers" are assigned to which TV signals.

If your DVR+ did not pick up your local "Channel 5.1" during its initial setup scan, the signal for channel 5.1 was probably not strong enough. With digital TV you have to have a strong signal or you don't see anything. If you have changed your antenna setup and want to see if the DVR+ can now find that channel, you can do a "Manual Scan" which will look for new channels without doing a Full Re-scan of all possible channels.

Press "Menu" on the remote, go to Settings, then Tuning and choose Manual Scan. Select "Scan" then highlight "Started" and press "OK". You should see a message which says "Please Wait". When I do that, after about 15 seconds I get a message which says "No Channels Added".
Sandman,

Thanks for the reply. My bad. I may have been entering channel 5 when I should have been entering channel 7. I accidentally deleted channel 7 and wanted to add it back in. When I tried channel 7 today it added 3 channels. 7.1 (KGO), 100.1(KGO) and another one that I don't remember.

BigHatNoCattle
post #4213 of 4929 Old 07-12-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
The channel number you enter needs to be the RF channel number, not the virtual channel number. You also need to go down to Scan and right to the selection buttons and select Start.
Frank,

Thanks for the reply. My bad. It appears I was entering channel 5 when I should have been entering channel 7. I tried it today using channel 7 (KGO) and it worked. It added 3 channels.

BigHatNoCattle
post #4214 of 4929 Old 07-12-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Frank,

Thanks for the reply. My bad. It appears I was entering channel 5 when I should have been entering channel 7. I tried it today using channel 7 (KGO) and it worked. It added 3 channels.

BigHatNoCattle
KGO transmits on channel 7.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KGO-TV
post #4215 of 4929 Old 07-12-2014, 03:23 PM

Liked: 13
I know this has been discussed but I am having trouble find the thread. Is the any reason not to use the recommended 1T Seagate drive (STBX1000101)? Does it power down as shipped or does that have to be enabled? I know that this is not designed as an AV drive but will that be an issue.

Any other suggestion (tested) recommendations?
post #4216 of 4929 Old 07-12-2014, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I wonder if it's possible for the DVR+ to do continuous play of recorded items in a folder?

This would be a great feature to have, if it doesn't exist. If it does, will somebody let me know how to do it? Thanks
post #4217 of 4929 Old 07-12-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
KGO transmits on channel 7.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KGO-TV
KGO not only transmits of RF channel 7, but it's virtual channel is 7 also. So you can't go wrong with that one! And yes, there is no channel in SFO with either virtual or RF channel = 5, which explains why it didn't find 5.
post #4218 of 4929 Old 07-13-2014, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 58
It looks like the new DVR+ with 1 TB internal HD will be sold by major electronic retailers in addition to the Channel Master store. As I posted earlier, Crutchfield is selling it for $439.99 with an included Wi-Fi dongle and free shipping and now you can add Best Buy to the list at $399.99 with free shipping but without the Wi-Fi dongle.
post #4219 of 4929 Old 07-13-2014, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybb1 View Post
I wonder if it's possible for the DVR+ to do continuous play of recorded items in a folder?

This would be a great feature to have, if it doesn't exist. If it does, will somebody let me know how to do it? Thanks

Not sure what you mean, if you are talking about loop play no. You can replay something in a folder as long as you don’t delete it.
post #4220 of 4929 Old 07-13-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
Not sure what you mean, if you are talking about loop play no. You can replay something in a folder as long as you don’t delete it.
Ahhh. I see now what I was asking wasn't clear. Here's a true life example.

I record and save up a weeks worth of Judge Judy's. On Saturday, I want to watch all 10. I would like to be able to watch them without having to use the remote to play the next one. Just want it to start the next one when one is finished. Then I could just delete the folder when they are all finished.

Netflix does this if you are watching a tv series. Amazon Prime doesn't and it's a big bone of contention with the subscribers of both services.

So if anyone knows of a way to do this, it would be great if you would let me know.
post #4221 of 4929 Old 07-13-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post
It looks like the new DVR+ with 1 TB internal HD will be sold by major electronic retailers in addition to the Channel Master store. As I posted earlier, Crutchfield is selling it for $439.99 with an included Wi-Fi dongle and free shipping and now you can add Best Buy to the list at $399.99 with free shipping but without the Wi-Fi dongle.
Glad to see it is going mainstream -- this will give it the best chance at continued success. They obviously feel the firmware is up to mainstream quality. Buying at BestBuy is nice because if it doesn't work for you it can be returned to the store instead of having to mail it back to CM. I wonder how long the diskless version will remain for sale on the CM website -- I suspect that now that the firmware development is largely done it may not be long for the market. It looks like they are back into CM-7000/7400 mode with a complete unit at the $400 price point.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4222 of 4929 Old 07-13-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
I record and save up a weeks worth of Judge Judy's. On Saturday, I want to watch all 10. I would like to be able to watch them without having to use the remote to play the next one. Just want it to start the next one when one is finished. Then I could just delete the folder when they are all finished....
So if anyone knows of a way to do this, it would be great if you would let me know.
My DVD recorder can do such a thing but not my Tivo which seems to be able to do almost everything else. I also like how Amazon does this, haven't used Prime.
I have a question for you, or anyone else who might know. My Tivo has a feature which I use frequently and would dearly miss if it weren't available. When a title is recorded it goes in a deleted folder, anything can be recovered at any time for replay until you run out of space at which time it's recorded over. Does the CM+ have such a feature where a deleted title can be recovered? kind of like a Windows trash can.
post #4223 of 4929 Old 07-13-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
My DVD recorder can do such a thing but not my Tivo which seems to be able to do almost everything else. I also like how Amazon does this, haven't used Prime.
I have a question for you, or anyone else who might know. My Tivo has a feature which I use frequently and would dearly miss if it weren't available. When a title is recorded it goes in a deleted folder, anything can be recovered at any time for replay until you run out of space at which time it's recorded over. Does the CM+ have such a feature where a deleted title can be recovered? kind of like a Windows trash can.
I'm not sure, but I don't think so. However, I've got a 2T drive on mine and I can't imagine running out of space.

BTW, I'm a former TiVo user and absolutely love them. What I hated is paying for the box, then having to pay for the service.
post #4224 of 4929 Old 07-13-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
BTW, I'm a former TiVo user and absolutely love them. What I hated is paying for the box, then having to pay for the service.
Which is why I went with lifetime off the bat 4+ years ago. It was a hard pill to swallow at the time($550 including Tivo HD) but I haven't looked back. I know a Tivo isn't for everyone which is why it's nice to see how CM is promoting and updating this box as much as they are, I would really miss the undelete feature though. My DVDR didn't have such a feature and more than once I regretted deleting something almost as soon as I did, once it was deleted it was gone forever.
LloydSoCal likes this.
post #4225 of 4929 Old 07-14-2014, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Update #2

Yesterday I ordered a 1TB WD My Passport Ultra for our DVR+. I guess that means we're keeping it

During the inclement weather we had for part of the weekend, which alternately included rain, wind and both, the DVR+ did not suffer significantly. We went out of our way to watch TV via the DVR+ tuner, instead of the TV's, and watch traditionally problematical channels, even if what they had on wasn't what we might normally have watched.

There are some weaker, luckily relatively unimportant, channels our three-year-old Samsung LCD TV gets that the DVR+ does not get at all, or that break up badly--even during calm weather. There's one semi-important channel the TV gets solidly that breaks up pretty regularly on the DVR+. There's one "main" channel (the local NBC affiliate) that occasionally breaks up on both TV and DVR+, but only a little worse on the DVR+.

Bottom line, for us: While the DVR+'s tuner is obviously a bit weaker than the our TV's tuner: For us the performance is tolerable.

Other than that, after playing with the thing for a few days, the only other negative I can come up with is the IR remote's emitter I suspect is a bit weak. I've found you have to aim fairly closely at the DVR+ for it to work.

It's a bit early to declare the thing an unqualified success, but, so far: We're very happy with the unit and would be inclined to recommend it.

Jim
post #4226 of 4929 Old 07-14-2014, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieoc View Post
Smart People on DTV PAL DVR Forum suggest getting the hard drive outside the unit for heat reasons (as well as upgrading size) and it has a fan. Does the same thinking apply here?
It's never really been talked about here, since, until very recently, an external drive was the only option. I'm sure one could have opened up their DVR+ and installed an internal drive, but why go to the bother? Agreed, an internal drive results in less clutter on the shelf, but that's the only benefit I can see to an internal drive. For the reasons you mentioned, I prefer the external drive.
post #4227 of 4929 Old 07-14-2014, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Sandman,

Thanks for the reply. My bad. I may have been entering channel 5 when I should have been entering channel 7. I accidentally deleted channel 7 and wanted to add it back in. When I tried channel 7 today it added 3 channels. 7.1 (KGO), 100.1(KGO) and another one that I don't remember.

BigHatNoCattle
In case you're wondering, that 100.1 channel is legitimate. I've got the same thing in Chicago with WBBM-DT (post numbers 4083 & 4098). Just for grins, I punched into TVFool.com a San Francisco ZIP code of 94112. Here's the results. There's definitely multiple ABC broadcasts in your area.
post #4228 of 4929 Old 07-14-2014, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Yesterday I ordered a 1TB WD My Passport Ultra for our DVR+. I guess that means we're keeping it
Hope you got a good price. If anyone else is considering this drive, they are on sale at bestbuy.com right now for $49.99 shipped!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-pa...=1218971610403

post #4229 of 4929 Old 07-14-2014, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
Hope you got a good price. If anyone else is considering this drive, they are on sale at bestbuy.com right now for $49.99 shipped!
Hmmm... No, I paid $69.00 with free shipping...

ETA: Cancelled & ordered from BB. Will be picking up shortly from local store. Thanks for the heads-up, wiscojim!

ETA2: Annnnd I now have it in-hand. A week earlier and $17 cheaper (incl. est. fuel cost) than I would have from Amazon.

N.B.: Saw your post and moved just in time, wiscojim. The price was back up to $69 at BB by the time I got back to the office.

Jim
LloydSoCal likes this.

Last edited by SEMIJim; 07-14-2014 at 09:36 AM.
post #4230 of 4929 Old 07-14-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
In case you're wondering, that 100.1 channel is legitimate. I've got the same thing in Chicago with WBBM-DT (post numbers 4083 & 4098). Just for grins, I punched into TVFool.com a San Francisco ZIP code of 94112. Here's the results. There's definitely multiple ABC broadcasts in your area.

I live in the south bay and I have channels 100.1 and 101.1. They are duplicates of 2.1 KTVU (FOX) and 7.1 KGO (ABC)as can be seen on the TVFool.com chart referenced above. When I did a scan it put the stronger signals on the normal channels (2.1 and 7.1). My issue is that the Rovi guide only shows information for channels 100.1 and 101.1. The info for 7.1 and 2.1 is PSIP. Makes me think Rovi hasn't been updated to support the other frequencies. I don't get a strong enough signal to watch the 100.1 or 101.1 channels without dropouts.

Bill
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page