57Likes

post #4231 of 4316 Old 07-14-2014, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
In case you're wondering, that 100.1 channel is legitimate. I've got the same thing in Chicago with WBBM-DT (post numbers 4083 & 4098). Just for grins, I punched into TVFool.com a San Francisco ZIP code of 94112. Here's the results. There's definitely multiple ABC broadcasts in your area.

I live in the south bay and I have channels 100.1 and 101.1. They are duplicates of 2.1 KTVU (FOX) and 7.1 KGO (ABC)as can be seen on the TVFool.com chart referenced above. When I did a scan it put the stronger signals on the normal channels (2.1 and 7.1). My issue is that the Rovi guide only shows information for channels 100.1 and 101.1. The info for 7.1 and 2.1 is PSIP. Makes me think Rovi hasn't been updated to support the other frequencies. I don't get a strong enough signal to watch the 100.1 or 101.1 channels without dropouts.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 4316 Old 07-14-2014, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherClone View Post
I've been lurking on this forum for a while and finally bit the bullet as many of the original issues seemed to poorly laid out. My remedy was to purchase the Dish 20.1 learning remote for $6 on ebay also mentioned on this forum. I highly recommend this remote to anyone not satisfied with the DVR+ remote. Its learns all the commands from the DVR+ remote very easily. After programming this new remote, the DVR+ response became almost instantaneous with no lags observed.
I bought one of these on Amazon yesterday after seeing your recommendation, though I had to pay about double what you did. It should arrive this week. Do you have any advice regarding programming it to interface with the DVR+?
post #4233 of 4316 Old 07-14-2014, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill444 View Post
I live in the south bay and I have channels 100.1 and 101.1. They are duplicates of 2.1 KTVU (FOX) and 7.1 KGO (ABC)as can be seen on the TVFool.com chart referenced above. When I did a scan it put the stronger signals on the normal channels (2.1 and 7.1). My issue is that the Rovi guide only shows information for channels 100.1 and 101.1. The info for 7.1 and 2.1 is PSIP. Makes me think Rovi hasn't been updated to support the other frequencies. I don't get a strong enough signal to watch the 100.1 or 101.1 channels without dropouts.

Bill
I have the same thing with the Rovi info, i.e., it appears on channel 100.1 instead of 2.1. However, in my case, the 100.1 channel provides a slightly better picture than the 2.1 signal. So I just watch/record the 100.1 channel.

Two thoughts for you. One, try contacting CM tech support and see if they have a suggestion. Two, try deleting either 100.1 or 101.1 and see if the Rovi data appears on the correct channel afterwards. I'm assuming that before you see any difference, you'll have to wait for a Rovi update. You can do this by changing your ZIP code in the DVR+ setup. Or just wait for an update to get pushed out.
post #4234 of 4316 Old 07-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_f_s View Post
I bought one of these on Amazon yesterday after seeing your recommendation, though I had to pay about double what you did...
Cancel your order from Amazon if you can. You can purchase the Dish 20.1 remote (brand-new) on eBay for $6.95 with free shipping included from this eBay seller. There are currently "more than 10 available."
pachinko likes this.
post #4235 of 4316 Old 07-14-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I have the same thing with the Rovi info, i.e., it appears on channel 100.1 instead of 2.1. However, in my case, the 100.1 channel provides a slightly better picture than the 2.1 signal. So I just watch/record the 100.1 channel.

Two thoughts for you. One, try contacting CM tech support and see if they have a suggestion. Two, try deleting either 100.1 or 101.1 and see if the Rovi data appears on the correct channel afterwards. I'm assuming that before you see any difference, you'll have to wait for a Rovi update. You can do this by changing your ZIP code in the DVR+ setup. Or just wait for an update to get pushed out.
I did try to delete channel 101.1 (ABC) and rebooted the box. Once the Rovi information loaded 7.1 (ABC) was still missing. I added 101.1 back and it showed up after 200.1 (VUDU) in the channel guide. If you reboot the DVR+ will you get new Rovi information? That's what it looked like because it took a couple of minutes before the information showed up.

For more fun I tried changing the ZIP code to something I thought was closer to the transmitter. After rebooting I was able to get Rovi information for channels 2.1 and 7.1. I thought it was fixed until I realized that channels 100.1 and 101.1 were now swapped with 2.1 and 7.1. When I looked for 101.1 in the channel guide I found it listed as VUDU! Channel 200.1 in the channel guide showed ABC. I ended up resetting my zip code and doing a full rescan to put everything back to normal.

It's just minor inconvenience because I can still use the guide to find shows and then either set up a manual recording or wait until the day before to set up a recording with the correct name. And I'm not paying for this information
post #4236 of 4316 Old 07-14-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I bought one of these on Amazon yesterday after seeing your recommendation, though I had to pay about double what you did. It should arrive this week. Do you have any advice regarding programming it to interface with the DVR+?
Try this:
Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread
post #4237 of 4316 Old 07-14-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:
It's never really been talked about here, since, until very recently, an external drive was the only option. I'm sure one could have opened up their DVR+ and installed an internal drive, but why go to the bother? Agreed, an internal drive results in less clutter on the shelf, but that's the only benefit I can see to an internal drive. For the reasons you mentioned, I prefer the external drive.
I did the test and posted results (have you read it ?), installed all missed parts - no go, internal drive doesn't using, but it's spinning OK.
It would require new FW to employ internal SATA connection.
post #4238 of 4316 Old 07-14-2014, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
I did the test and posted results (have you read it ?), installed all missed parts - no go, internal drive doesn't using, but it's spinning OK.
It would require new FW to employ internal SATA connection.
I would imagine the operating system is on the SSD. If you want to replace the internal SSD with a spinny drive, you'll probably have to use something to clone the SSD onto the spinny drive--something that knows how to grow the target filesystem after or during the cloning process.

Jim
post #4239 of 4316 Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post
Cancel your order from Amazon if you can. You can purchase the Dish 20.1 remote (brand-new) on eBay for $6.95 with free shipping included from this eBay seller. There are currently "more than 10 available."
The order is already shipped. Should be here any day now. It's only a matter of a few dollars, and I've never bought anything via Ebay, while I have a long history with Amazon.
post #4240 of 4316 Old 07-14-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
I would imagine the operating system is on the SSD. If you want to replace the internal SSD with a spinny drive, you'll probably have to use something to clone the SSD onto the spinny drive--something that knows how to grow the target filesystem after or during the cloning process.

Jim
you imagining is wrong on all counts:
1 - flash memory [16gb NAND] - internal storage is one thing
2 - OS is reside in other flash [NOR] - other thing
3 - SSD is not there
4 - SSD is worst choice for store your recordings, especially constantly updating buffer, do you know consumer grade SSD has cells with 3000 rewrites max ?!
5 - internal SATA connector (unpopulated) connected to CPU's SATA interface accept 2.5" HDDs

Well, five is enough for start. You know ... reading old posts is entertaining and sometimes raise your knowledge and guide your imagination to right direction
post #4241 of 4316 Old 07-14-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
Saved and printed for when the remote comes. Thanks!
post #4242 of 4316 Old 07-14-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Saved and printed for when the remote comes. Thanks!
Try this link for the manual to the 20.1 learning remote. Page 25 will walk you through it.

http://www.mydish.com/support/FileStream.ashx?ID=3025

A couple of comments from my experience getting this set up.

When you learn the DVR+ in the AUX mode of the 20.1 remote, one small annoyance is that the volume and mute buttons will not default to the TV when you push them. You first have to push the TV mode before these buttons will work and then press back to the AUX mode to control the DVR+.

To fix this problem and have the volume and mute buttons default to the TV when in AUX mode, I did the following steps.

1) program the 20.1 to control your TV in the TV mode.

2) program the 20.1 to control any random DVD/BLU-Ray code in AUX mode. Page 11.

3) then program the 20.1 remote to control the DVR+ in the AUX mode following the instructions on page 25. In step 4 DO NOT PUSH RECALL, but rather skip straight to the record step.

4) get ready to repeat steps 5 and 6 until the 20.1 has learned all the buttons from the DVR+ remote. Don't stop until you get all the buttons or you will have to start over.

Hope this helps.
post #4243 of 4316 Old 07-15-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
I'm sure one could have opened up their DVR+ and installed an internal drive, but why go to the bother? Agreed, an internal drive results in less clutter on the shelf, but that's the only benefit I can see to an internal drive.
The form factor of the DVR+ is to allow mounting of the unit on the back of your flat screen and out of the way -- an IR extender is available to enable remote operation with the unit out of sight. Not very practical when one also had to contend with mounting an external drive. The new unit with the 1Tb internal makes for a compact unit ready to mount. 2.5" drives are low-power and produce very little heat. The main source of heat is the power supply and that is external to the unit.

The 1TB unit is obviously not an option for everyone -- especially when you can buy a WD 1TB for a little over $50 on sale. However, it is attractive for those who want a total wall-mount solution.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4244 of 4316 Old 07-15-2014, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am still debating between this unit and a used Premiere Tivo with lifetime service from Ebay. Similar cost. If anybody has used Tivo, how were their tuners when compared to CM. When I hook up my TV to a cheap indoor antenna I was able to pickup all the local channel within 25 mile. Even running it through a 4 way splitter was okay.

I really like the DVR+ but the TIvo has some pluses and I the guide is not likely to disappear when a new model comes out. Unfortunately their tuner seem hit or miss for OTA.
post #4245 of 4316 Old 07-15-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phughes200 View Post
I am still debating between this unit and a used Premiere Tivo with lifetime service from Ebay. Similar cost. If anybody has used Tivo, how were their tuners when compared to CM. When I hook up my TV to a cheap indoor antenna . . .
I don't know how they compare to the DVR+ but the Premier OTA tuners were generally considered to be less sensitive than the TiVo HD tuners which were considered to be very good. The OTA tuners on the new Roamio Basic are considered to be on par with the TiVo HD tuners. I don't have a Premier but I do have an HD and a Roamio and at 20mi from the towers I pick up all the major channels and tons of garbage sub-channels that I just delete. I have a 35 yr old mast antenna in the attic. Whenever you start talking cheap indoor antennas, all bets are off.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4246 of 4316 Old 07-15-2014, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
DVR+ VS Tivo Premier

Quote:
I am still debating between this unit and a used Premiere Tivo with lifetime service from Ebay. Similar cost. If anybody has used Tivo, how were their tuners when compared to CM. When I hook up my TV to a cheap indoor antenna I was able to pickup all the local channel within 25 mile. Even running it through a 4 way splitter was okay.
I really like the DVR+ but the TIvo has some pluses and I the guide is not likely to disappear when a new model comes out. Unfortunately their tuner seem hit or miss for OTA.
I tried the Tivo Premiere, along side a CM 7400 DVR. The CM 7400 found most of the channels that my LG TV did, the Tivo was missing about one half that the CM 7400 found. Tried rescanning over several days with the same results. It went back into the box and got returned. Later I bought the DVR+ for my wife and found the tuners in the two DVR's about equal. The DVR's, in my experience, are more sensitive to weather conditions than my TV's are. Overall I'm very pleased with both of the DVR's from CM.
post #4247 of 4316 Old 07-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I certainly hope the guide's not going anywhere! Unless I'm missing it: There doesn't appear to be any way to schedule a recording manually?

As for the DVR+'s tuners: I've no idea how they compare to those in other DVRs, but they're a bit weaker than the tuner in our three-year-old Samsung LCD TV.

Btw: I just accidentally tripped across the programing for the "skip" buttons' length. I'm loving this thing

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 07-15-2014 at 05:46 PM.
post #4248 of 4316 Old 07-15-2014, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the input.

I played around today with my indoor antenna (Winegard FL5500A FlatWave Amplified ) and found most of my channels were in the 7-10 rangs (based on my Samsung TV meter). One or two were 3-5. I have no idea if this is good enough for the Tivo but should be good for the CM.
post #4249 of 4316 Old 07-17-2014, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A friend emailed CM to see if the DVR+ with the internal hard drive (CM-7500TB1) also supports an external USB drive. The following are the three questions asked, and the replies by Jordan Cullimore of CM E-Commerce Sales:

1. Does the DVR+ with the internal hard drive (CM-7500TB1) support a USB external hard drive?

"Yes - you can still use this unit with an external hard drive."

2. If USB HDD is supported, can the drive onto which to make a recording be specified?

"If I understand your question correctly - we can only guarantee the two units that we sell on our website: http://www.channelmasterstore.com/DV...ries_s/295.htm. Additionally, while an external hard drive is attached, it will always record to the external hard drive."

3. If USB HDD is supported, can recordings on the internal HDD be moved to the USB HDD?

"There's no way to transfer data between drives."
post #4250 of 4316 Old 07-18-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

That's pretty restrictive -- not being able to transfer recordings between disks or specify the capture disk. Sounds like the firmware hasn't caught up. So essentially, if you have desires to use an external HDD for increased capacity and/or easy transfer of recordings to a PC, it makes no sense to buy the 7500TB1 model.

I believe some time ago, P. Smith tested two USB HDDs on the 7500GB16 and found it could not transfer recordings between the disks. So I wouldn't expect this capability in future firmware updates -- not to say it absolutely won't appear, but I wouldn't count on it.
GopherClone likes this.

- kelson h

Last edited by Kelson; 07-18-2014 at 05:47 AM.
post #4251 of 4316 Old 07-18-2014, 09:53 AM

Liked: 22
Need some help. When programming the Dish 20.1 remote, is there a code for the DVR+, or do you need to program the remote by way of the learning mode? Thanks in advance.
post #4252 of 4316 Old 07-18-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrollens View Post
Need some help. When programming the Dish 20.1 remote, is there a code for the DVR+, or do you need to program the remote by way of the learning mode? Thanks in advance.

I have not tried any of the codes to see if a specific one works, but the learning option works great. Refer to post 4241above for details.
post #4253 of 4316 Old 07-18-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
The latter. See Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread
post #4254 of 4316 Old 07-18-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
It was tedious but not particularly difficult once it gets going. I actually got it in the first pass. I've got both remotes sitting here now, and I find myself using the DISH one exclusively.
post #4255 of 4316 Old 07-18-2014, 09:00 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
I have not tried any of the codes to see if a specific one works, but the learning option works great. Refer to post 4241above for details.

Thanks so much.
post #4256 of 4316 Old 07-19-2014, 08:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
I have one in my Amazon Cart, but wondered if the 21.1 also works (IR + UHF) for the DVR+. Sounds like a great deal. I'm new to AVS so don't know if I am going to send this or not. LloydSoCal
post #4257 of 4316 Old 07-19-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Which is why I went with lifetime off the bat 4+ years ago. It was a hard pill to swallow at the time($550 including Tivo HD) but I haven't looked back. I know a Tivo isn't for everyone which is why it's nice to see how CM is promoting and updating this box as much as they are, I would really miss the undelete feature though. My DVDR didn't have such a feature and more than once I regretted deleting something almost as soon as I did, once it was deleted it was gone forever.
I loved that feature on TiVO too. And used it many times. LloydSoCal
post #4258 of 4316 Old 07-19-2014, 08:50 PM

Smile

Quote:
I've been lurking on this forum for a while and finally bit the bullet as many of the original issues seemed to settle down with the latest software release. Here is my review after about 3 weeks of use.

Order/Shipping: Took advantage of the free Father's Day Shipping. Ordered on Sunday and received the box (Iowa) on Friday. Ordered the DVR+ with a 6' HDMI cable. Ordered a WD My Passport 1.5 TB external hard drive (USB powered) for expanded storage from a different vendor.

Setup/Tuners/Network: Very simple wizard and easy to get set up. I first installed without hooking up the hard drive and did an initial scan. My opinion is that the tuners in this unit are very good. They picked up every station I would have expected and a few I did not even know about. Granted, I am comparing this to the CM7400 which had a well below average tuner in my opinion and missed many of the smaller stations. I have a CM-2016 antenna mounted in my attic that is pointed in the general direction of the TV towers about 15 miles away. The antenna feed is split twice before getting to the DVR+. Again, very happy with all the stations this thing hauls in. I did not purchase the WiFi adapter but rather bought an old router much cheaper that I converted into a wireless bridge/repeater that provides wired internet to both the DVR+ and my Blue-ray player. Upon initial scan PSIP data was instantly there but about 2-3 minutes later the network and rovi icons were in place telling me I had the extended guide. Also very happy with this as I lived with PSIP before with the 7400. After about 2 days I was prompted to download version 108R as I believe it came with 106R. Updating seemed to take forever and I almost panicked and started over. Left it and came back later to see it progressing. I can't comment on any noted differences between 106R and 108R.

Hard Drive: The My Passport Ultra 1.5TB USB3.0 Portable Hard Drive (WDBMWV0015BBK-NESN) works with this unit. Plugged it in, it was instantly recognized and formatted. It will power down on its own out of the box after about 30 minutes in stand by mode with no recordings scheduled. I have not had issues yet with the stuttering during playback. Not sure I have had a situation with two recordings and one playback going on yet as it seems like this might put the processor to the test and increase the likelihood of this happening (speculation).

Audio/Video: I utilize the toslink optical audio connection to my older amplifier in order to get the 5.1 surround. Works fine but I needed to get a mini-plug adapter to fit in the DVR+ whereas the amplifier has the other connector that is more squarish. The HDMI is set to deliver 2.0 stereo to my TV when amp not in use. Picture quality via HDMI is excellent.

Remote: This is my biggest disappointment with the DVR+. They made such a great product, but the remote is borderline junk. Upon first use the, DVR+, I experienced the remote lag mentioned in this forum. In some cases nothing happened and in others there was a very slow response. I set it to control my TV and it seemed like the remote would work 50% of the time to control the TV. I might have a defective remote, but I don't understand why it would work some of the time or if I seemed to pressed the button harder. Button placement is also poorly laid out. My remedy was to purchase the Dish 20.1 learning remote for $6 on ebay also mentioned on this forum. I highly recommend this remote to anyone not satisfied with the DVR+ remote. Its learns all the commands from the DVR+ remote very easily. After programming this new remote, the DVR+ response became almost instantaneous with no lags observed.

OK that is my review. When fall rolls around and I/my wife really put this thing to the test we will see if continues to meet our expectations. For now, I'm a very satisfied customer and would recommend it. Thanks to all for the observations and input that I have been able to use to better my experience with this thing along the way.
Great Review! Thanks. My experience was similar, except that the Box did not settle down completely for 3 days. Everything was erratic, and I found myself redoing things because I got ahead of the DVR+ (or something). Anyway, I regret not just turning the thing loose, and goin' Fishin' for 3 days. Lloyd Socal
post #4259 of 4316 Old 07-19-2014, 09:09 PM

I'm adding to my DVR+ wish list the ability to manage and schedule recordings from a remote device like my computer, tablet and phone.
post #4260 of 4316 Old 07-19-2014, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

The consensus is the Premiere line has inferior OTA performance. However, if you are close or will have your OTA high enough, the Premiere OTA performance is "adequate" in locations with no challenges.

However, the Series 3, HD, HDXL and the Roamio (only the basic can receive OTA) all report good OTA performance even in some troubling areas. The only problems I have with the Premiere OTA performance are with TWO weaker stations that the Premiere sometimes loses while my S3 and Romio units and my Dish Hopper still pull them in.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page