Forum Jump: 
 115Likes

post #4261 of 4707 Old 07-20-2014, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Page up/down doesn't wrap

I have a new CM DVR+. To be consistent it would be nice if when navigating the Guide, the page up/down buttons wrapped to the top/bottom like the line up/down buttons do. Or maybe someone has found a solution that I'm not aware of ?

Last edited by noHatNoCattle; 07-20-2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Clarify
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4262 of 4707 Old 07-20-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks. I got a great deal on the Premiere so decided to try it. If it doesn't work I can Ebay it for more then I paid. The Roamio was too pricey and I was concern about the age of the series 3. My research confirms what you said. It will be a gamble.

I really want to try the CM but since this was a lower cost solution with low risk I decided to try it.
post #4263 of 4707 Old 07-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Lost It's Tiny Little Mind

Went to set up a recurring recording, this evening, and found the only commands the DVR+ would heed were channel up/down and power on/off. Furthermore, when changing channels the PSIP information didn't show. Unplugged for 20 seconds and it was okay again.

Hoping this is not a recurring problem. This is the kind of software glitch that used to drive us nuts with the Panasonic DVD recorders.

Jim
post #4264 of 4707 Old 07-22-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Went to set up a recurring recording, this evening, and found the only commands the DVR+ would heed were channel up/down and power on/off. Furthermore, when changing channels the PSIP information didn't show. Unplugged for 20 seconds and it was okay again.

Hoping this is not a recurring problem. This is the kind of software glitch that used to drive us nuts with the Panasonic DVD recorders.

Jim
What firmware level?

Chuck
post #4265 of 4707 Old 07-23-2014, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post
What firmware level?

Chuck
108R (0.5)

Jim
post #4266 of 4707 Old 07-23-2014, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
video freezes, power button does not respond

While watching TV on CM DVR+ the video broke up and froze. Changing stations was possible via the remote but only the audio changed. The video remained frozen. Pushing the power button on the front in and attempt to reset the CM DVR+ had no effect. Unplugged CM DVR+ and plugged back in. CM DVR+ and TV viewing continued as normal once the system finished restarting. CM DVR+ is 3 weeks old. Anyone else seen this problem?
post #4267 of 4707 Old 07-23-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 130
are you surprised ?

that's "normal" behavior of buggy FW, so you should be tolerant and just do what you did - cold reboot

btw, the issue could be unique to your spot: station equipment, errors by your multipath or a radar or something like that
post #4268 of 4707 Old 07-24-2014, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Real dumb question, I know. And I have searched here and on CM's site before posting.

How does the streaming function work on the DVR+? Does it have apps on it for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon? Like a dummy, I bought a Magnavox MDR533(5?,7?)H DVD recorder to use with OTA only to find out that the output is not HD. I thought that its HQ record mode was the same as HD. I am clearly showing my AVS ignorance here.

I am currently streaming through my Samsung Blu Ray player. Of course, with that there is no recording ability.

So now I'm looking at a DVR+. And with the video streaming function can you record stuff from say Hulu?
post #4269 of 4707 Old 07-24-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
Real dumb question, I know. And I have searched here and on CM's site before posting.

How does the streaming function work on the DVR+? Does it have apps on it for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon? Like a dummy, I bought a Magnavox MDR533(5?,7?)H DVD recorder to use with OTA only to find out that the output is not HD. I thought that its HQ record mode was the same as HD. I am clearly showing my AVS ignorance here.

I am currently streaming through my Samsung Blu Ray player. Of course, with that there is no recording ability.

So now I'm looking at a DVR+. And with the video streaming function can you record stuff from say Hulu?
Currently, the DVR+ supports only Vudu.
post #4270 of 4707 Old 07-24-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by noHatNoCattle View Post
While watching TV on CM DVR+ the video broke up and froze. . . . Unplugged CM DVR+ and plugged back in. CM DVR+ and TV viewing continued as normal once the system finished restarting.
With all devices that have complex firmware, sometimes something just causes a memory leak and you crash a sub-system. It happens -- even TiVo's crash if they run long enough without a reboot. If it's infrequent it's just something to live with. One thing you can do is make it a point to periodically cold boot your DVR's. I have a routine I have stuck to and rarely see a leaking memory crash -- on the first of the month the dog gets its heart-worm pill, its application of FrontLine plus and I reboot the DVR's and the servers.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4271 of 4707 Old 07-24-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
Yeah, sometimes it's hard to get past the marketing spin on those boxes that makes them sound better than they are. As was noted the DVR+ currently only supports Vudu. If you want a stand-alone DVR (not HTPC) with a large array of streaming Internet channels, you will have to go to TiVo. None of the DVR's allow you to record a streaming channel -- it's a license restriction. But then why would you have to since the purpose of a streaming site is instant access, anytime. If you want to stay in the DVR+ price range, the next choice would be to add a RoKu box for all the streaming channels. RoKu was built for streaming and has the most channels of any box.

If you want to record streaming content to keep, then that is where your Magnavox recorder can find use if you are past the return date. You can capture the SD composite output of the streaming box to the DVD recorder. Most streaming sites use some sort of copy protection to prevent this so you will also have to buy a copy-protection buster box like a Grex or Video Filter to go between the streamer and the DVD recorder. There is more info on this in the DVD Recorder Forum -- look for a poster named DigaDo.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4272 of 4707 Old 07-24-2014, 10:14 AM

Wow, Kelson thanks for the thoughtful, inclusive reply. And thanks Arenal04.

I have some questions but have to get to Dr.'s appt. Will respond this evening. Thanks to you both again.
post #4273 of 4707 Old 07-24-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
With all devices that have complex firmware, sometimes something just causes a memory leak and you crash a sub-system. It happens -- even TiVo's crash if they run long enough without a reboot. If it's infrequent it's just something to live with. One thing you can do is make it a point to periodically cold boot your DVR's. I have a routine I have stuck to and rarely see a leaking memory crash -- on the first of the month the dog gets its heart-worm pill, its application of FrontLine plus and I reboot the DVR's and the servers.
I started the first of the month reboot two months after getting my first TiVo. Since then I have had no unwanted reboots. As for a streaming device, there are over 60 "channels" on my Blu-ray and TV. The Sony BDP-S6200 is a very flexible device at a reasonable price. Crappy remote though.
post #4274 of 4707 Old 07-24-2014, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Channel Master CM7000PAL Remote

Looking to purchase a working CM7000PAL remote???
post #4275 of 4707 Old 07-24-2014, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by la196 View Post
Looking to purchase a working CM7000PAL remote???
seems to me you got no rules at all
- do not cross post (same post in different forums/thread)
- do not post offtopic
- read response to your question and don't repaet same
- etc
post #4276 of 4707 Old 07-25-2014, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
If you want to record streaming content to keep, then that is where your Magnavox recorder can find use if you are past the return date. You can capture the SD composite output of the streaming box to the DVD recorder. Most streaming sites use some sort of copy protection to prevent this so you will also have to buy a copy-protection buster box like a Grex or Video Filter to go between the streamer and the DVD recorder. There is more info on this in the DVD Recorder Forum -- look for a poster named DigaDo.
If you want to DVR streaming media, PlayLater is probably the best option right now. I have been lobbying CM to add a Plex channel. That would open a lot of doors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4277 of 4707 Old 07-25-2014, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
CM-7500GB16 hard drive upgrade/install

Has anyone had the opportunity to open up the CM-7500GB16 to see if it is possible to add your own 1tb hard drive to the unit?
-Thanks
post #4278 of 4707 Old 07-25-2014, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdehass View Post
Has anyone had the opportunity to open up the CM-7500GB16 to see if it is possible to add your own 1tb hard drive to the unit?
-Thanks
Yes: Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread
mdehass likes this.
post #4279 of 4707 Old 07-25-2014, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Week Two Update and a Wish List

It's been two weeks and I believe we've explored pretty much all of the device's capabilities. A couple nights ago we watched something that had already been recorded whilst another show was in the process of being recorded. Last night we watched a show that was still in the process of being recorded. In both cases we arbitrarily rewound, fast-forwarded, paused, played and skipped, both directions, as we desired. The DVR+ performed flawlessly.

Other than the Lost Its Tiny Little Mind software glitch we experienced a couple days ago, the device has performed flawlessly. (Hopefully glitches like that will not become a Regular Occurrence.)

On the two week anniversary, I'd like to offer some minor (?) enhancement requests:

• Anynet+. It's unclear to me just what Anynet+ is, but it's handy. For all of the DVD and BD players/recorders we've had: Turning them on/off caused the TV to automatically switch to/from that device. It would be nice if the DVR+ supported that protocol.
  • "Fast-ish Forward": I don't know how fast they're forwarding, but our DVD and BD devices have all lately included a "fast" forward that was a "mild" speed-up, allowing you to speed through content but still watch and hear it.
  • Page Up/Down Wrap: When you get to the end or beginning of the Guide: Perhaps a 2nd Up/Down press within a couple seconds could cause the listing to wrap around?

Of course: If CM really wanted to go for some Cool Factor, they could add to that list a DLNA server and mobile device (Android, iStuff and [ugh] WinThings) support

Jim
jjeff likes this.
post #4280 of 4707 Old 07-25-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
If you want to DVR streaming media, PlayLater is probably the best option right now. I have been lobbying CM to add a Plex channel. That would open a lot of doors.
I don't stream from the Internet but my understanding of its attraction is video on demand -- play it when you want it. I'm probably missing something, so could you give me an example of why one would want or need to DVR a streaming channel?

- kelson h

post #4281 of 4707 Old 07-25-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
It's been two weeks and I believe we've explored pretty much all of the device's capabilities. A couple nights ago we watched something that had already been recorded whilst another show was in the process of being recorded. Last night we watched a show that was still in the process of being recorded. In both cases we arbitrarily rewound, fast-forwarded, paused, played and skipped, both directions, as we desired. The DVR+ performed flawlessly.
You probably have mentioned this already but what brand/model/size of external HDD are you using?

I know you said you planned on getting a 1TB WD Passport ultra. Is that what you settled on?

- kelson h

post #4282 of 4707 Old 07-25-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
I don't stream from the Internet but my understanding of its attraction is video on demand -- play it when you want it. I'm probably missing something, so could you give me an example of why one would want or need to DVR a streaming channel?
I can give you the one that is probably the most frequent, annoying, and obvious.

It's this simple: Here today, gone tomorrow.

Streaming content on the internet is only temporary. Providers only offer certain programs for certain time periods and then delete them. Purging of older programs or reshuffling of the programs offered occurs regularly. If you want to archive a whole series of programs for later viewing, you usually have to do it incrementally, catching them when they are available, for fear that tomorrow they won't be available.

post #4283 of 4707 Old 07-25-2014, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
-because licenses expire and are taken down often, facilitates archiving for later viewing, just like a dvr.

-people with caps whose children watch the same cartoon over and over can just record it and stream it locally.

-transfer recordings to phones, tablets without using data.

I use playlater all the time. record it, it automatically gets indexed by plex for later viewing on a TV. playon and playlater are hooked into my tivo with pytivo so i can initiate a recording of anything that those two pieces of software support.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4284 of 4707 Old 07-25-2014, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You probably have mentioned this already but what brand/model/size of external HDD are you using?

I know you said you planned on getting a 1TB WD Passport ultra. Is that what you settled on?
Yup. Works like a champ

Jim
post #4285 of 4707 Old 07-25-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
I can give you the one that is probably the most frequent, annoying, and obvious.

It's this simple: Here today, gone tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
-because licenses expire and are taken down often, facilitates archiving for later viewing, just like a dvr.
Got it. That is what I was missing.

- kelson h

post #4286 of 4707 Old 07-25-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Generally, it's easy to record OTA content. This DVR+ is the best set top DVR not sold by TiVo. The Simple and Tablo DVRs are great for recording programs non-interactively. You can easily download files from the DVR+ and Simple DVRs for playback away from your DVR (DVR+) or when there is not internet (Simple).

PlayOn is a server that streams content from the internet to a set top or portable device. PlayLater is a program that lets you save this content as MP4 files which can be played when you have insufficient internet access. You can learn more at http://playon.tv and http://playlater.tv.

Personally, I prefer set top + whole house DVR. I have a DTVPal on five tvs in my home and six Simple DVRs in my basement. This provides for a great interactive experience (pause/rewind/fast forward/slow motion with video preview) plus intelligent program collection and remote access.

If all you have access to is streaming TV, PlayLater will easily record programs for you in 720p. For a one time fee of $40, I think this makes more sense that recording A/V out to another DVR. Reasons you may want to record streaming media...

- your internet access is unreliable during prime time
- you want to watch something on an airplane or in a car
- you want to watch something at work

I posted the tip in response to discussion of whether the DVR+ could record streamed content (it can't) in which it was suggested that plugging a DVR into a streaming device was an option. I offered PlayLater as an alternative.

post #4287 of 4707 Old 07-25-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

-people with caps whose children watch the same cartoon over and over can just record it and stream it locally.

-transfer recordings to phones, tablets without using data.
And one more reason, my main reason, for "time shifting" to avoid commercials. Even though Hulu and others don't have nearly as many commercials as network, which can be 5 minutes at a time. I still like to record and then skip through them. We may start watching the show while is still recording. But we'll delay it just enough so we can "chase it" skipping commercials.
post #4288 of 4707 Old 07-25-2014, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Generally, it's easy to record OTA content. This DVR+ is the best set top DVR not sold by TiVo. The Simple and Tablo DVRs are great for recording programs non-interactively. You can easily download files from the DVR+ and Simple DVRs for playback away from your DVR (DVR+) or when there is not internet (Simple).

PlayOn is a server that streams content from the internet to a set top or portable device. PlayLater is a program that lets you save this content as MP4 files which can be played when you have insufficient internet access. You can learn more at http://playon.tv and http://playlater.tv.

Personally, I prefer set top + whole house DVR. I have a DTVPal on five tvs in my home and six Simple DVRs in my basement. This provides for a great interactive experience (pause/rewind/fast forward/slow motion with video preview) plus intelligent program collection and remote access.

If all you have access to is streaming TV, PlayLater will easily record programs for you in 720p. For a one time fee of $40, I think this makes more sense that recording A/V out to another DVR. Reasons you may want to record streaming media...

- your internet access is unreliable during prime time
- you want to watch something on an airplane or in a car
- you want to watch something at work

I posted the tip in response to discussion of whether the DVR+ could record streamed content (it can't) in which it was suggested that plugging a DVR into a streaming device was an option. I offered PlayLater as an alternative.
A SERIOUSLY big issue with PlayLater is that it's impossible to do a "scheduled recording".

We have been begging MediaMall to add that feature, and they have not done so as of yet. That one missing feature makes it almost worthless as a perfect "dvr" type program.
post #4289 of 4707 Old 07-26-2014, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
A SERIOUSLY big issue with PlayLater is that it's impossible to do a "scheduled recording".

We have been begging MediaMall to add that feature, and they have not done so as of yet. That one missing feature makes it almost worthless as a perfect "dvr" type program.
Definitely a worthwhile feature. Recording a file at night or during working hours for viewing in prime time can alleviate a lot of congestion/performance concerns. I don't think lack of that program renders PlayLater worthless by any means.

Some guy has posted a workaround here...

http://www.playon.tv/forum/help/play...#comment-38943

post #4290 of 4707 Old 07-26-2014, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mine just dropped dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
are you surprised ?

that's "normal" behavior of buggy FW, so you should be tolerant and just do what you did - cold reboot

btw, the issue could be unique to your spot: station equipment, errors by your multipath or a radar or something like that
Mine's 2 Weeks old, all of a sudden nothing worked. It just plain dropped dead. I contacted Tech Support and wound up changing Batteries (no solution), but the suggestion to "warm? boot solved the problem. Still, everything is slow as Molasses on Ice to get responses after pressing a Remote Key. I suspect that an underpowered CPU is really behind it. LloydSoCal
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page