376Likes

post #4291 of 6012 Old 07-26-2014, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydSoCal View Post
I learned from CM Tech Support that they do not support anything except 2 specific Seagate Model HHDs. So (not knowing that I needed to visit the Site to learn that before ordering from Amazon) I decided that the WD Drive made more sense. So, be aware if you depart from the "supported" Drives.
According to the CM web pages for both the CM-7500GB16 and CM-7500TB1 models, CM has "thoroughly tested" 5 Seagate USB hard drives. I take that to mean "supported", or else it's deceptive advertising. Here's a quote from the CM pages:
Quote:
Most external USB hard drive will be compatible but Channel Master has thoroughly tested and recommends five different Seagate Models; 500 GB (STCD500102), 1 TB (STBU1000100), 1 TB (STBX1000101), 3 TB (STCA3000101), and 3 TB (STBV3000100).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4292 of 6012 Old 07-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Still, everything is slow as Molasses on Ice to get responses after pressing a Remote Key. I suspect that an underpowered CPU is really behind it. LloydSoCal
Ours seems responsive enough to me. If ours started behaving badly, I'd first try cold booting it (cycle the power). If that didn't do it I'd do a full factory reset and cold boot it again. If that still didn't do it I'd send it back to the factory.

Jim
LloydSoCal likes this.
post #4293 of 6012 Old 07-26-2014, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I suspect that an underpowered CPU is really behind it. LloydSoCal
Yes... the menu speed is atrocious. And CPU speed is the most likely culprit in my opinion.
LloydSoCal likes this.
post #4294 of 6012 Old 07-26-2014, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_f_s View Post
Yes... the menu speed is atrocious. And CPU speed is the most likely culprit in my opinion.

It is probably under powered CPU that cause the video glitches, and that is with the supported hard drive take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvLOY0BIewU
LloydSoCal likes this.
post #4295 of 6012 Old 07-26-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
According to the CM web pages for both the CM-7500GB16 and CM-7500TB1 models, CM has "thoroughly tested" 5 Seagate USB hard drives. I take that to mean "supported", or else it's deceptive advertising. Here's a quote from the CM pages:

Here is an extract from my correspondence with Tech Support on 7/14/14 >"... As for the the hard drive, I do not recommend using that hard drive. We support only the Seagate model hard drives. They work the best with the DVR+.
Channel Master
Technical Support <
During my dialogue, only 1-1TB & 1-3 TB drives were specified. Without digging, I think they were the ones ending in 100. I don't know what to say.

If I do a Factory Reset (without knowing the consequences -- & they seem awfully hard to come by), I expect that I would lose all of my Settings and be back at Ground Zero with maybe the Hard Disk ready to accept new info. If I'm lucky. If not, I have enough time invested so far that I might as well ship the Box back. I hope Reset is not that way.

Last edited by LloydSoCal; 07-26-2014 at 07:42 PM. Reason: added info
post #4296 of 6012 Old 07-26-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Ours seems responsive enough to me. If ours started behaving badly, I'd first try cold booting it (cycle the power). If that didn't do it I'd do a full factory reset and cold boot it again. If that still didn't do it I'd send it back to the factory.

Jim
Thanks for the Feedback. I'm not sure what "Cold Boot" is here. I queried T.S. and got the "Press the Power Off & Hold for 6 Seconds" ["Soft" whatever] kind, but have not yet gotten the description of a Cold Boot. I'd appreciate your help to let me know what to do to get that one. Pulling the Plug they told me is the same as the Soft Boot I did to restore operation from one Dead Duck.
post #4297 of 6012 Old 07-26-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the Feedback. I'm not sure what "Cold Boot" is here. I queried T.S. and got the "Press the Power Off & Hold for 6 Seconds" ["Soft" whatever] kind, but have not yet gotten the description of a Cold Boot. I'd appreciate your help to let me know what to do to get that one. Pulling the Plug they told me is the same as the Soft Boot I did to restore operation from one Dead Duck.
If I do a Factory Reset (without knowing the consequences -- & they seem awfully hard to come by), I expect that I would lose all of my Settings and be back at Ground Zero with maybe the Hard Disk ready to accept new info. If I'm lucky. If not, I have enough time invested so far that I might as well ship the Box back. I hope Reset is not that way.
Last edited by LloydSoCal; Today at 06:42 PM. Reason: added info
post #4298 of 6012 Old 07-26-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:

Jim
Last edited by LloydSoCal; Today at 06:42 PM. Reason: added info
post #4299 of 6012 Old 07-26-2014, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
holding power button is not exactly "soft" but "warm" reboot;
soft reboot usually happen when you select such choice in menu or watchdog discover need for a reboot, it more likely reset
"cold" is easy comprehend if imagine: a CPU is become cold (after removing power from DVR)
post #4300 of 6012 Old 07-27-2014, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the Feedback. I'm not sure what "Cold Boot" is here.
Cycle the power. Pull the plug, in the case of the CM DVR+ (or most other modern HT equipment.)

Quote:
I queried T.S. and got the "Press the Power Off & Hold for 6 Seconds" ["Soft" whatever] kind, ...
I'm not certain, or course, and I've been wrong in my assumptions about the DVR+, before , but my guess is that "soft boot" is the equivalent of an Intel-based PC's Ctrl-Alt-Del or Windows' Start->Restart selection. It's AKA: "Warm boot."

Quote:
If I do a Factory Reset (without knowing the consequences -- & they seem awfully hard to come by), I expect that I would lose all of my Settings and be back at Ground Zero

That's generally what a factory reset implies.

Quote:
with maybe the Hard Disk ready to accept new info.
That would be the bigger concern. I would hope a FR would not wipe the hard drive's contents. I suppose you could always remove it, and put it back after-the-fact?

Dunno.

Quote:
If I'm lucky. If not, I have enough time invested so far that I might as well ship the Box back.

I would imagine you'd lose everything on it for sure, that way?

Again: Dunno. Just guessing.

Jim
post #4301 of 6012 Old 07-27-2014, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_f_s View Post
Menu navigation on ours seems just fine. I was just walking through the Settings menu a few minutes ago. Then I wandered through the Settings menu on our Samsung TV. TBH: They seemed alike, in responsiveness, to me.

The DVR+ was otherwise idle at the time. (I.e.: It wasn't recording anything.) Maybe later I'll tell it to record two things simultaneously and then go touring the Settings menus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
It is probably under powered CPU that cause the video glitches, and that is with the supported hard drive take a look.
The only video "glitches" I've noticed, so far, was in fast-forwarding while a(nother) program was recording. Then the FF became a bit choppy.

Jim
LloydSoCal likes this.
post #4302 of 6012 Old 07-27-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Cycle the power. Pull the plug, in the case of the CM DVR+ (or most other modern HT equipment.)

I'm not certain, or course, and I've been wrong in my assumptions about the DVR+, before , but my guess is that "soft boot" is the equivalent of an Intel-based PC's Ctrl-Alt-Del or Windows' Start->Restart selection. It's AKA: "Warm boot."

That's generally what a factory reset implies.

That would be the bigger concern. I would hope a FR would not wipe the hard drive's contents. I suppose you could always remove it, and put it back after-the-fact?

Dunno.

I would imagine you'd lose everything on it for sure, that way?

Again: Dunno. Just guessing.

Jim

Thanks very much for your Input. My understanding and yours are identical on the "Boots", but since I double queried CM Tech Support, I thought maybe they have other definitions. I did not get a clear answer from them as I did from you. Thanks in particular for the idea to remove the Hard Disk before doing a Factory Reset. I will try one more time to get clear definitions from CM before deciding to do it. Lloyd
post #4303 of 6012 Old 07-27-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
holding power button is not exactly "soft" but "warm" reboot;
soft reboot usually happen when you select such choice in menu or watchdog discover need for a reboot, it more likely reset
"cold" is easy comprehend if imagine: a CPU is become cold (after removing power from DVR)
Thanks for your explanations. DVR+ does have the "Factory Reset" Menu Choice (might that be called a "Hot Boot"? )). Lloyd
post #4304 of 6012 Old 07-27-2014, 03:01 PM

Wow! Thank You!

Quote:

Thank you for this "Eye Opener". I should be grateful that I did not know I had to buy a Seagate HD. That is incredibly bad performance, and I'll admit mine is not anywhere near that bad. If it was, the Box would already be headed back. So, now all I lose is Tech Support for my "non-supported" Drive --for this problem. Lloyd
post #4305 of 6012 Old 07-27-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your explanations. DVR+ does have the "Factory Reset" Menu Choice (might that be called a "Hot Boot"? )). Lloyd
Nope.

You got wrong direction, the procedure ["Factory Reset"] working with settings in NVRAM and totally unrelated to restart/reset/reboot of DVRs
post #4306 of 6012 Old 07-27-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for this "Eye Opener". I should be grateful that I did not know I had to buy a Seagate HD. That is incredibly bad performance, and I'll admit mine is not anywhere near that bad. If it was, the Box would already be headed back. So, now all I lose is Tech Support for my "non-supported" Drive --for this problem. Lloyd
unfortunately it was done by pretty uninformed, the "eye-opening"
there are many reasons for stuttering, pixelation, etc glitched ... bugs in FW is major source of the problems ,,, not CPU, especially you don't have any knowledge how it's loaded during the glitches
post #4307 of 6012 Old 07-27-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
unfortunately it was done by pretty uninformed, the "eye-opening"
there are many reasons for stuttering, pixelation, etc glitched ... bugs in FW is major source of the problems ,,, not CPU, especially you don't have any knowledge how it's loaded during the glitches

Thanks for the Input. Not sure I understand. -- but if you are suggesting the thing (Video/installation/?) was done by the "uninformed" I can buy that. I don't know about the FW (is that Firmware?), nor what version my B16 has in it. I guess I should have said the "Hardware", but I also don't know diddly about Linux. The whole package is the problem from my perspective. You are obviously technically sophisticated, and I am not. All I really know is the Beast can be awfully slow -- so slow at times that I believe it will not respond at all, and keep "pushing" & moving the Remote around to different spots --trying to make something happen. Lloyd
post #4308 of 6012 Old 07-27-2014, 08:31 PM

Liked: 16
YouTube video made using old firmware

Quote:

This YouTube video was made January 20, 2014. So the DVR+ at that time used an old version of the firmware--two versions ago, I think.

Since then the number of people posting on this thread reporting these glitches has dropped significantly.

--DawnSun

DawnSun
post #4309 of 6012 Old 07-28-2014, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
All I really know is the Beast can be awfully slow -- so slow at times that I believe it will not respond at all, and keep "pushing" & moving the Remote around to different spots --trying to make something happen. Lloyd
This isn't even close to our experience with the DVR+.

I did note, early on, that the remote's IR emitter seemed to me a bit anaemic. It seemed to me I had to aim it fairly accurately for the DVR+ to "see" it. My HTM MX500, OTOH, I can aim in the general vicinity of the wall with the HT stuff and I'm good to go.

So I'm wondering if what you're experiencing Lloyd, is due to the remote or really the DVR+ being sluggish?

Last night, watching Poirot in "follow" mode, I saw the video hitch once, very, very briefly. For all I know that could have been in what the DVR+ received. We had had very strong storms come through, last evening. We were (still are) on generator, in fact.

Jim
LloydSoCal likes this.
post #4310 of 6012 Old 07-28-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
This isn't even close to our experience with the DVR+.

I did note, early on, that the remote's IR emitter seemed to me a bit anaemic. It seemed to me I had to aim it fairly accurately for the DVR+ to "see" it. My HTM MX500, OTOH, I can aim in the general vicinity of the wall with the HT stuff and I'm good to go.

So I'm wondering if what you're experiencing Lloyd, is due to the remote or really the DVR+ being sluggish?

Last night, watching Poirot in "follow" mode, I saw the video hitch once, very, very briefly. For all I know that could have been in what the DVR+ received. We had had very strong storms come through, last evening. We were (still are) on generator, in fact.

Jim
Thanks Jim. I think you are right that it is a system (DVR+) problem. It's not the Remote, or our aiming of it. This is my first experience with this kind of sluggishness using a Remote for any Equipment I've tried to operate. I am contacting CM about it, but I'm guessing that it's a lack of "Horsepower" somewhere in the Box. I seriously doubt that the Remote has anything to do with it, but I'm not qualified to judge that. I will pass along what I find out from CM. Lloyd
post #4311 of 6012 Old 07-28-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSun View Post

This YouTube video was made January 20, 2014. So the DVR+ at that time used an old version of the firmware--two versions ago, I think.

Since then the number of people posting on this thread reporting these glitches has dropped significantly.

--DawnSun

That maybe so but mine still does it and I have had my hard drive checked out and there is nothing wrong with it. Even P Smith looked at it and said it was okay. It is a Seagate but not one of the recommended ones. It worked like a charm up till the 103 update.
Some people I think gave up and sent theirs DVR+’s back. Like the guy who posted it on YouTube.
post #4312 of 6012 Old 07-28-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Intro and question - DVI Input TV

Hi, Todd here. Believe it or not, I just got cable TV (Uverse) for the first time in 25 years. Yes I have had nothing but OTA for that long. After spending about a week with Uverse, I am already planning my exit strategy. What I discovered I really do like is the DVR with Uverse. But most of the channels I record are available on OTA. I really like being able to look at the schedule and set up recordings online from any PC. Too bad the DVR+ cannot do that.

So a little research brought me here to the CM 7500 DVR+. One question I have is will the DVR+ work with a DVI to HDMI adapter plus the optical audio as my TV does not have HDMI input? I do this successfully with my Roku XDS, but just wanted to make sure before I bought a CM DVR+

I will probably stay with Uverse as long as the promo price is in effect (6 months). In the meantime I am hoping CM comes out with an upgrade to the DVR+ as from reading this forum, it seems to be lacking in a few areas compared to Tivo or other cable DVR's.

Thanks,

Todd K.
post #4313 of 6012 Old 07-28-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

TOSLINK & DVI-HDMI (sans audio) works on any model's output: TR-50 or K77

Take a look at DTVpalDVR [TR-50] thread, perhaps the old well working (sans long EPG) box will serve you well ?
post #4314 of 6012 Old 07-28-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddk63 View Post
Hi, Todd here. Believe it or not, I just got cable TV (Uverse) for the first time in 25 years. Yes I have had nothing but OTA for that long. After spending about a week with Uverse, I am already planning my exit strategy. What I discovered I really do like is the DVR with Uverse. But most of the channels I record are available on OTA. I really like being able to look at the schedule and set up recordings online from any PC. Too bad the DVR+ cannot do that.

So a little research brought me here to the CM 7500 DVR+. One question I have is will the DVR+ work with a DVI to HDMI adapter plus the optical audio as my TV does not have HDMI input? I do this successfully with my Roku XDS, but just wanted to make sure before I bought a CM DVR+

I will probably stay with Uverse as long as the promo price is in effect (6 months). In the meantime I am hoping CM comes out with an upgrade to the DVR+ as from reading this forum, it seems to be lacking in a few areas compared to Tivo or other cable DVR's.

Thanks,

Todd K.

You might find this useful I use it on my DVR+ with an HDMI splitter and it works great. Of course there is a down grade in quality.

https://www.jtechdigital.com/product.php?id=87
post #4315 of 6012 Old 07-28-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You might find this useful I use it on my DVR+ with an HDMI splitter and it works great. Of course there is a down grade in quality.
His question was " One question I have is will the DVR+ work with a DVI to HDMI adapter plus the optical audio as my TV does not have HDMI input?" not to downgrade PQ from HD to SD by your proposed converter , spending another $60.
post #4316 of 6012 Old 07-29-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
im sure in 4316 posts its been mentioned numerous times, but like many i'm in the "dead zone" as far as ota channels. this pretty much kills me getting anything like the channel master dvr+ correct?

i refuse to give in to the over priced shenanigans of paying for receivers and hd and dvr. what are my options as an antenna won't work in my situation? is the tivo reliant on ota as well?
post #4317 of 6012 Old 07-29-2014, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeasst View Post
im sure in 4316 posts its been mentioned numerous times, but like many i'm in the "dead zone" as far as ota channels. this pretty much kills me getting anything like the channel master dvr+ correct?
Correct. The Channelmaster DVR+ is strictly an OTA DVR. It has one streaming app. Vudu, I think.

Quote:
i refuse to give in to the over priced shenanigans of paying for receivers and hd and dvr. what are my options as an antenna won't work in my situation?
Cable, satellite, OTA. Those are it.

Quote:
is the tivo reliant on ota as well?
Yes.

Jim
post #4318 of 6012 Old 07-29-2014, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Correct. The Channelmaster DVR+ is strictly an OTA DVR. It has one streaming app. Vudu, I think.

Cable, satellite, OTA. Those are it.

Yes.

Jim
well damn. guess i'll just go kick a can outside for fun
andy416us likes this.
post #4319 of 6012 Old 07-29-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
His question was " One question I have is will the DVR+ work with a DVI to HDMI adapter plus the optical audio as my TV does not have HDMI input?" not to downgrade PQ from HD to SD by your proposed converter , spending another $60.
Quote:

https://www.jtechdigital.com/product.php?id=87

Yes I know that is why I said "you might find this useful".
post #4320 of 6012 Old 07-29-2014, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
well damn. guess i'll just go kick a can outside for fun
What do you mean by "as an antenna won't work in my situation?"

Jim
Reply HDTV Recorders