post #4321 of 6473 Old 07-29-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeasst View Post
i'm in the "dead zone" as far as ota channels. this pretty much kills me getting anything like the channel master dvr+ correct?

i refuse to give in to the over priced shenanigans of paying for receivers and hd and dvr. what are my options as an antenna won't work in my situation? is the tivo reliant on ota as well?
Your options are cable FIOS or satellite.
Satellite is a closed system -- you use their equipment.

Cable & FIOS can be used with 3rd party cablecard devices. You rent the cablecard from your provider and pay any additional fees they will charge you for having an extra device on their line and HD fees etc.
  • TiVo is the only 3rd party stand alone DVR on the market with cable card support.
  • Your second option is to build/buy a HTPC with a cablecard tuner (Silicon Dust or Ceton) and running Windows Media Center as your DVR software. WMC is your only option because it is currently the only DVR software that supports the DRM required for cablecard certification.

Without OTA your options are very limited.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 6473 Old 07-29-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
im sure in 4316 posts its been mentioned numerous times, but like many i'm in the "dead zone" as far as ota channels. this pretty much kills me getting anything like the channel master dvr+ correct?

i refuse to give in to the over priced shenanigans of paying for receivers and hd and dvr. what are my options as an antenna won't work in my situation? is the tivo reliant on ota as well?
May I ask your zipcode?
post #4323 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
well damn. guess i'll just go kick a can outside for fun
I'm about 65 miles north of Bakersfield stations and 65 miles south of Fresno stations. I put a rotator on a tall mast that is attached to my chimney, and on there I put a highly directional antenna. I pick up every station within about 100 miles.
post #4324 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am about 10 to 20 miles from my locals, both full power and low power and I am using a Channel Master 3671 and I get everything except a. LD station on Lo-VHF channel 6 that none of my digitsl tuners will decode. I do get a full power Hi-VHF from a different market that is 63.3 miles away... I have no issues with the tuner...

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
post #4325 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_f_s View Post
I'm about 65 miles north of Bakersfield stations and 65 miles south of Fresno stations. I put a rotator on a tall mast that is attached to my chimney, and on there I put a highly directional antenna. I pick up every station within about 100 miles.
So .... for scheduled recordings you have to manually aim the antenna at either Bakersfield or Fresno ahead of time? Seems kind of cumbersome.
post #4326 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Most external USB hard drive will be compatible but Channel Master has thoroughly tested and recommends five different Seagate Models; 500 GB (STCD500102), 1 TB (STBU1000100), 1 TB (STBX1000101), 3 TB (STCA3000101), and 3 TB (STBV3000100).

Hello to all, newbie here. I've been following this thread for a while since I'm getting tired of buying a new TIVO every 4 years when mine goes belly up and I can't transfer the lifetime subscription to the next TIVO. I'm considering buying the DVR+ so I'm looking at the hard drives and finally have a question worth bothering you guys with. I actually have a second question regarding a specific antenna for the OTA channels in my viewing area but I'll make that question separate from this one to keep it simple.

My question is what's the difference between the two 1TB models that they have tested? They're both 1TB so is one model newer technology than the other?
post #4327 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot135pd View Post
Most external USB hard drive will be compatible but Channel Master has thoroughly tested and recommends five different Seagate Models; 500 GB (STCD500102), 1 TB (STBU1000100), 1 TB (STBX1000101), 3 TB (STCA3000101), and 3 TB (STBV3000100).

Hello to all, newbie here. I've been following this thread for a while since I'm getting tired of buying a new TIVO every 4 years when mine goes belly up and I can't transfer the lifetime subscription to the next TIVO. I'm considering buying the DVR+ so I'm looking at the hard drives and finally have a question worth bothering you guys with. I actually have a second question regarding a specific antenna for the OTA channels in my viewing area but I'll make that question separate from this one to keep it simple.

My question is what's the difference between the two 1TB models that they have tested? They're both 1TB so is one model newer technology than the other?
I'm just curious what's a purpose of your question ? What answers will do for you ?
...you don't know difference... OK, then why:
- you didn't search descriptions of both devices in Internet
- you didn't compare specs, prices, availability ...
- you don't trust the company who did "thoroughly tested" ?

If you are a true pilot, then the post is represent you badly.
post #4328 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

There doesn't appear to be much difference. The STBU1000100 comes with a 2 year warranty and is available in four different colors. It's sells for $74.95 at Bestbuy.com. The STBX1000101 has a 1 year warrantly and is available only in Black. It's sells for $64.99 at BestBuy.com.
pilot135pd likes this.
post #4329 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post
There doesn't appear to be much difference. The STBU1000100 comes with a 2 year warranty and is available in four different colors. It's sells for $74.95 at Bestbuy.com. The STBX1000101 has a 1 year warrantly and is available only in Black. It's sells for $64.99 at BestBuy.com.
How do you know that?
Where did you look it up?

I think that was P. Smith's point.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4330 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
I'm just curious what's a purpose of your question ? What answers will do for you ?
Kind of harsh, IMO. Most non-computer-tech-types wouldn't understand what (probably minor) differences in technical specifications mean.

pilot135pd, I wouldn't concern myself overly about it. If you're a believer in what CM recommends: Then buy one of the ones they recommend. Personally: I prefer WD over Seagate, so I bought a WD My Passport Ultra drive.

Jim
pachinko and pilot135pd like this.
post #4331 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

well, then I will say - his question was harsh. Sorta: gimme-gimme, you are should do legwork for me.
post #4332 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
- you don't trust the company who did "thoroughly tested" ?

If you are a true pilot, then the post is represent you badly.
Wow, didn't expect that level of hostility. Let's answer your questions:

- you didn't search descriptions of both devices in Internet -- I DID and didn't find the difference so I asked here.
- you didn't compare specs, prices, availability ... I found different prices, availability everything. That wasn't my question
- you don't trust the company who did "thoroughly tested" ? I totally trust the company, I didn't ask that either.

I just asked if there was a TECHNICAL difference in those 2 models.

BTW yes I'm a pilot and have been around for many years. 21 Years US Air Force from where I retired then moved onto regional airlines for a year then finally the last 8 years have been flying air ambulance helicopters in 3 different countries including now in Texas. You must be a peach to wake up to.
pachinko likes this.
post #4333 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
well, then I will say - his question was harsh. Sorta: gimme-gimme, you are should do legwork for me.
If you knew me you would never say that since one of my pet peeves is the gimme generation. I've been researching the DVR replacement for my TIVO for years and the HD for the DVR+ for about 3 days and just today have been all over it for at least 4 hours so don't be so quick to judge. If my post was so offensive to you all you had to do was ignore it, simple. That's all I have to say about this.
pachinko likes this.
post #4334 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 03:56 PM

To all the other members who took a minute of their lives to write helpful positive posts, I thank you.
pachinko likes this.
post #4335 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

OK,OK,OK ... I got it now.
post #4336 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
How do you know that?
Where did you look it up?

I think that was P. Smith's point.
1. Specifications at Seagate.com:

STBU1000100: http://www.seagate.com/external-hard...D8AN5000#specs

STBX1000101: http://www.seagate.com/external-hard...X1000101#specs

2. Product Information at Bestbuy.com:
STBU1000100: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate-...=buyingOptions

STBX1000101: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate-...0101&cp=1&lp=1

3. As you can see from the specifications both are very similar in size and both are powered by the USB interface.

4. I appreciate how difficult it can be to "just look it up yourself" on the internet, so I took to the trouble to do the necessary research and get the facts as best I could. I just didn't have time to document it all in the original post.
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by Sandman905; 07-30-2014 at 05:33 PM.
post #4337 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

oh man !
there is the DIFFERENCE !!!
the weight:
.224kg vs 0.17 kg

post #4338 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post
1. Specifications at Seagate.com:

STBU1000100: http://www.seagate.com/external-hard...D8AN5000#specs

STBX1000101: http://www.seagate.com/external-hard...X1000101#specs

2. Product Information at Bestbuy.com:
STBU1000100: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate-...=buyingOptions

STBX1000101: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate-...0101&cp=1&lp=1

3. As you can see from the specifications both are very similar in size and both are powered by the USB interface.

4. I appreciate how difficult it can be to "just look it up yourself" on the internet, so I took to the trouble to do the necessary research and get the facts as best I could. I just didn't have time to document it all in the original post.
Thank you. I just noticed something that I hadn't noticed in my previous search and thanks to your links I noticed it.
In my original post I asked "My question is what's the difference between the two 1TB models that they have tested? They're both 1TB so is one model newer technology than the other? "

Even though I still haven't been able to get an answer to that, and since I'm not an electrical engineer or anything like that just a simple pilot, your link showed me that Seagate doesn't have any of the STBU drives available and has all of the STBX drives so I'm going to use that to end this purchase decision by taking a wild guess and maybe the STBUs that are still being sold by others are new old stock and the STBX is the newer version and maybe even newer technology since it weighs half as much in the same size box

Thanks again Sandman and others.
post #4339 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
oh man !
there is the DIFFERENCE !!!
the weight:
.224kg vs 0.17 kg

Yes, about 8 ounces vs 6 ounces.
post #4340 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Thank you. I just noticed something that I hadn't noticed in my previous search and thanks to your links I noticed it.
In my original post I asked "My question is what's the difference between the two 1TB models that they have tested? They're both 1TB so is one model newer technology than the other? "

Even though I still haven't been able to get an answer to that, and since I'm not an electrical engineer or anything like that just a simple pilot, your link showed me that Seagate doesn't have any of the STBU drives available and has all of the STBX drives so I'm going to use that to end this purchase decision by taking a wild guess and maybe the STBUs that are still being sold by others are new old stock and the STBX is the newer version and maybe even newer technology since it weighs half as much in the same size box

I suspect that you're correct. I purchased the STBU1000100 in March 2014. About a month ago, I did a search for the STBU1000100 to see about buying another one, as a backup. Almost nobody had them in stock, whereas the STBX1000101 could be found all over the Web. Additionally, for a 1TB drive, ChannelMaster originally listed only the STBU1000100. The STBX1000101 is a relatively recent addition to their recommended list of drives.
post #4341 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:

I would guess that the STBX is newer, but I doubt there is a significant different between the two, other than one is available in colors and includes an additional year of warranty for about $10 more in cost. I've bought a number of USB powered drives over the last couple of years including several Seagate and Western Digital drives. Every time I look for a new one there seems to be a different selection of models available.
post #4342 of 6473 Old 07-30-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

just to share EE's experience ...

don't relay to the retail model IDs; same HDD in different cases will have different SKU like the letters what you discuss;

always look inside, if not literally then by programs like GSmartControl
post #4343 of 6473 Old 08-01-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
What do you mean by "as an antenna won't work in my situation?"

Jim
based on my location, an antenna serves me no purpose due to lack of range. see chart below. 1 moderate and a bunch weak or non existent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
May I ask your zipcode?

WGTV PBS 8-1 Hi-V

WGCL CBS 46-1 UHF

WXIA NBC 11-1 Hi-V

WAGA FOX 5-1 UHF

WUPA CW 69-1 UHF

WPCH IND 17-1 UHF

WATL MYTV 36-1 UHF

WHSG TBN 63-1 UHF

WSB ABC 2-1 UHF

WUVG UNIVISION 34-1 UHF

WCES PBS 20-1 Lo-V

WMAZ CBS 13-1 Hi-V

WGXA FOX 24-1 UHF

WUGA unknown 32-1 UHF

WGNM IND 64-1 UHF

WATC ETV 57-1 UHF

WPBA PBS 30-1 UHF

WPXA ION 14-1 UHF

WMUM PBS 29-1 Hi-V

WLOS ABC 13-1 Hi-V

WHNS FOX 21-1 UHF
post #4344 of 6473 Old 08-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
based on my location, an antenna serves me no purpose due to lack of range. see chart below. 1 moderate and a bunch weak or non existent.
I punched your zip into antennaweb. Yeah: Doesn't look good. Only came up with three stations, and one of them was "needs large, directional."

Jim
post #4345 of 6473 Old 08-01-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Still getting the wrong show recorded every now and again. It'll be listed as the correct show but when you go to watch it, it'll be a different channel at the same time and duration.

Anyone else? On 108R and did the factory reset already.

As for the HD, Seagate left me with a bad taste in my mouth with their 1TB drive debacle from a few years ago. Even the last few years, their drives have an abysmal record as seen with this 3 year study: http://www.neowin.net/news/seagate-h...leads-the-pack

Do yourself a favor and get the WD DVR expander 1TB. Have not had a single issue with it with my DVR+.
post #4346 of 6473 Old 08-01-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Not 100% True

[QUOTE=blackbeasst;26210994]based on my location, an antenna serves me no purpose due to lack of range. see chart below. 1 moderate and a bunch weak or non existent.

This is only a guide. If I went by what several web sites said about my reception I might have given up with using an antenna. The site I use says 5.1 for me is weak and yet I receive it at 80-90% or better. It also shows a number of other stations as weak which I receive fine even with signal in the 60-70% range.

So you really don't know until you put an antenna up and give it a try.

By the way I am not using large antennas either. I do have separate antennas though for UHF and VHF. I found that this works better than the combined UHF/VHF CM 4228 that I was using. I also use a Channel Master preamp.
post #4347 of 6473 Old 08-01-2014, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishmosh View Post
Still getting the wrong show recorded every now and again. It'll be listed as the correct show but when you go to watch it, it'll be a different channel at the same time and duration.

Anyone else? On 108R and did the factory reset already.

As for the HD, Seagate left me with a bad taste in my mouth with their 1TB drive debacle from a few years ago. Even the last few years, their drives have an abysmal record as seen with this 3 year study: http://www.neowin.net/news/seagate-h...leads-the-pack

Do yourself a favor and get the WD DVR expander 1TB. Have not had a single issue with it with my DVR+.

Not having trouble with the wrong show being recorded, but I gave up on the Record all programs with this same name. It would work for two weeks and then would stop so I gave up on the Auto record and went to the Manuel Record. My ROVI is updating everyday so I don't think it is cause by that. It is possible your issue is from the ROVI check how often it updates.

I still have the Video Glitches with my Seagate Hard Drive and I am using the 108.
post #4348 of 6473 Old 08-01-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
Not having trouble with the wrong show being recorded, but I gave up on the Record all programs with this same name. It would work for two weeks and then would stop so I gave up on the Auto record and went to the Manuel Record. My ROVI is updating everyday so I don't think it is cause by that. It is possible your issue is from the ROVI check how often it updates.

I still have the Video Glitches with my Seagate Hard Drive and I am using the 108.

I agree, my experience is that Record by Name works for a while and then stops. I've found when this happens the DVR+ appears to have reset itself as indicated by the Session Time on the second STB Health Screen under Technical Info.
Just remember to edit the default "Manual Recording" name to indicate which program your are recording and to set the Repeat option correctly.

I've never noticed any video glitches from my Seagate drive which is one of the ones recommended by CM.
artisticimaging likes this.

Last edited by Sandman905; 08-01-2014 at 11:06 PM.
post #4349 of 6473 Old 08-01-2014, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 1
playback picture breaks up 5 - 30 seconds

I've owned my DVR+ with Seagate 1TB USB external disk for about a month. Occasionally while playing back a recorded program the picture breaks up for between 5 - 30 seconds. I don't think this is a reception problem because watching the station in real-time never breaks up. This is unacceptable. Can you imagine if this was a recording of the super bowl that you had watched for 3 hours and you weren't able to watch the last 30 seconds of a goal line situation that determined the results of the game??

Any suggestions of my path to a solution?
post #4350 of 6473 Old 08-01-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

get WDC drive
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page