Forum Jump: 
 565Likes

post #4381 of 6494 Old 08-06-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 99
As my Tivo is dial-up things are easier to see, it dials up the mothership about every 30hrs and updates the guide(and possibly downloads firmware if there is a new version). For me it's easy to see in my settings menu, if I go in settings it tells me exactly the last time it tried to dial and if it was successful, it also tells the next time it will try, which again is generally ~30hrs out.
Not sure if the CM+ has such a screen but it it did it would be easy to tell how often it updates its guide. Of course again with a internet updated guide like Rovi it could be going out multiple times/day for updates with no real harm.

Edit, Joe-
Just thought of something else that we'd have no real way of knowing, other than if someone worked for Rovi or Tribune or someone constantly forced updates to see when things changed but I've been talking about when the device itself downloads the guide info, what we really don't know(and can't see from any device screen) is when or how often Rovi or Tribune itself updates it's guide.....is that what your talking about or are you talking about the device itself downloading guide info?

Last edited by jjeff; 08-06-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 6494 Old 08-06-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
As my Tivo is dial-up things are easier to see, it dials up the mothership about every 30hrs and updates the guide(and possibly downloads firmware if there is a new version).
Not to go all TiVo here but just to show comparison: The newer TiVo's that are Internet connected do a formal guide update daily at irregular intervals however they are phoning home to the mother ship frequently during the day to see what's up. Sometimes they get guide change notices to cover situations like with Extant in between formal guide updates.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4383 of 6494 Old 08-06-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 132
[QUOTE=jjeff;26342937]
continued on Premiere thread.
post #4384 of 6494 Old 08-06-2014, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Not to go all TiVo here but just to show comparison: The newer TiVo's that are Internet connected do a formal guide update daily at irregular intervals however they are phoning home to the mother ship frequently during the day to see what's up. Sometimes they get guide change notices to cover situations like with Extant in between formal guide updates.
Is there a comparison guide somewhere? I was all set to go with the CM DVR+ but I have studied enough to thoroughly confuse myself.
post #4385 of 6494 Old 08-06-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

post #4386 of 6494 Old 08-06-2014, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
As in daily to you mean every 24hrs and at the same time or does it vary? Tivo says daily as well but at least with my dial-up Tivo it's ~ every 30 hrs. and of course then the time it updates changes all the time. Not sure if internet connected Tivos update more frequently but it would make sense as unlike a dial-up system it's not tying up a phone line and wouldn't really use much internet bandwidth or KBs.

No not at the same time everyday. I don't keep my modem on all the time, so it has to update when the modem is on. I to look at Zap2it everyday and then decide what I will watch.
post #4387 of 6494 Old 08-06-2014, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by noHatNoCattle View Post
If you're located in Fremont CA or nearby and your DVR+ antenna pulls in all the local stations without drop outs I'd be interested in knowing what antenna you're using, if you use a pre-amp, how high is your antenna and how long the cable is between your antenna and the DVR+.
Not sure if your query was to me, but I'm using an Antennacraft HDX1000 that is about 30 feet above ground. It's mounted on my chimney (single story) atop a 10 foot mast, followed by a rotator, and then a 5 foot mast atop that. It came with an amplifier that goes at the TV input. The cable is 50 foot.

I live in Visalia, CA.
post #4388 of 6494 Old 08-07-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
The MX-850 is a learning remote, just like my MX-500. So why not just teach it from the original? That's what I did. Works like a champ!

Jim
Yes my remote can learn commands but if I do that I and can only record the power toggle function. What I really want is the Power discrete on and discrete off command. I create macros for my remote, for instant if create one for Watch BluRay then I want to issue a command for DVR+ Power OFF not DVR+ Power toggle because when this button is pressed I don't know if the DVR+ is Power is ON or Power is OFF.
post #4389 of 6494 Old 08-07-2014, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_f_s View Post
Not sure if your query was to me, but I'm using an Antennacraft HDX1000 that is about 30 feet above ground. It's mounted on my chimney (single story) atop a 10 foot mast, followed by a rotator, and then a 5 foot mast atop that. It came with an amplifier that goes at the TV input. The cable is 50 foot.

I live in Visalia, CA.
Hi t_f_s,

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned I'm looking for a multi directional solution so automatic recordings occur flawlessly. Unless yours automatically points to the desired channel.

noHatNoCattle
post #4390 of 6494 Old 08-07-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 1
automatic antenna rotation for recorded channels

Are there antenna systems that work with DVR+ that automatically rotate a directional antenna to the channel that is recording ?
post #4391 of 6494 Old 08-07-2014, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
Is there a comparison guide somewhere? I was all set to go with the CM DVR+ but I have studied enough to thoroughly confuse myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Thanks?? Now I'm really confused!
post #4392 of 6494 Old 08-07-2014, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by noHatNoCattle View Post
Are there antenna systems that work with DVR+ that automatically rotate a directional antenna to the channel that is recording ?
There was, but they don't make them any more: http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewit...100)&p=ROTR100 You might find a NOS model on Ebay or elsewhere if you look hard.
post #4393 of 6494 Old 08-07-2014, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
No, because there are 2 tuners in the DVR+. 1 directional antenna cannot point in 2 different directions at the same time.
post #4394 of 6494 Old 08-07-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoug View Post
No, because there are 2 tuners in the DVR+. 1 directional antenna cannot point in 2 different directions at the same time.
Sure it can. If an Antenna is pointing NORTH, it's also pointing SOUTH.

That's 2 different directions...
post #4395 of 6494 Old 08-07-2014, 10:03 PM

Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
Sure it can. If an Antenna is pointing NORTH, it's also pointing SOUTH.

That's 2 different directions...

What antenna will receive stations in both directions for say a range of 75 miles (both directions)?
post #4396 of 6494 Old 08-07-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
What antenna will receive stations in both directions for say a range of 75 miles (both directions)?
75 miles is quite a long distance in receiving tv stations reliably 24/7 for the average person. Many antennas will receive from both ends just about as reliably as from the end that is supposed to be the one you point at the station. You need to do some research to narrow it down for your local conditions, and then pray to the voodoo gods that the one you pick works.
OTA receiving, has always had a "voodoo" component to it. What works for your neighbor might not work for you, but is typically a good start.
post #4397 of 6494 Old 08-07-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
75 miles is quite a long distance in receiving tv stations reliably 24/7 for the average person. Many antennas will receive from both ends just about as reliably as from the end that is supposed to be the one you point at the station. You need to do some research to narrow it down for your local conditions, and then pray to the voodoo gods that the one you pick works.
OTA receiving, has always had a "voodoo" component to it. What works for your neighbor might not work for you, but is typically a good start.

Then how do you know that antennas have 2 directions? Given the right voodoo there maybe no reception in any direction.
post #4398 of 6494 Old 08-07-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Then how do you know that antennas have 2 directions? Given the right voodoo there maybe no reception in any direction.
How do I know? I used to be a Winegard distributor and installer, from the late 1970's through the late '80's.

Antenna's have two directions, there's no doubt about that. But you are right about the second half of your comment, depending on the site and conditions there may NOT be reception in any direction.
post #4399 of 6494 Old 08-07-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
How do I know? I used to be a Winegard distributor and installer, from the late 1970's through the late '80's.
[/B].

So how does the NOS rotor know where to turn to record a show on the DVR+? To my knowledge the DVR+ has no means transmit any information.
post #4400 of 6494 Old 08-07-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
So how does the NOS rotor know where to turn to record a show on the DVR+? To my knowledge the DVR+ has no means transmit any information.
You are right, it doesn't do it quite like that with OTA channels, though I WISH it did, as the satellite FTA receiver system it's based off of works exactly that way. I use the satellite version (a Vbox X) every day with my SatelliteAv "MicroHD" fta receiver. I have timers set, one fire off, it sees the channel I want is on a particular satellite in orbit, and it drives my 10' BUD there, tunes the channels, and starts recording. You can use the remote that comes with that particular OTA rotor, and program the proper coordinates for an individual channel. So, instead of the old tv rotors where you just keep turning while watching to get it to come in and then stop, you push a set of numbers and it goes right there.

So, it's not truly automatic, but it's as close as they've come up to now. The problem is that there's no incentive for manufacturers to make a automatic rotor system like we want, because there isn't enough people to buy them to make it viable for them.
post #4401 of 6494 Old 08-07-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
You are right, it doesn't do it quite like that with OTA channels, though I WISH it did, as the satellite FTA receiver system it's based off of works exactly that way. I use the satellite version (a Vbox X) every day with my SatelliteAv "MicroHD" fta receiver. I have timers set, one fire off, it sees the channel I want is on a particular satellite in orbit, and it drives my 10' BUD there, tunes the channels, and starts recording. You can use the remote that comes with that particular OTA rotor, and program the proper coordinates for an individual channel. So, instead of the old tv rotors where you just keep turning while watching to get it to come in and then stop, you push a set of numbers and it goes right there.

So, it's not truly automatic, but it's as close as they've come up to now. The problem is that there's no incentive for manufacturers to make a automatic rotor system like we want, because there isn't enough people to buy them to make it viable for them.

And all that satellite stuff allows you to watch stuff on one satellite while recording from another satellite?
post #4402 of 6494 Old 08-07-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
And all that satellite stuff allows you to watch stuff on one satellite while recording from another satellite?
Yes, as I have multiple dishes and receivers that with diseqc switches allow me to record from multiple sats at the same time. There's a big hobbyist group out there (and growing) that acquires old satellite systems from people that want them removed, restores them, and puts them to use. Check it out here:
post #4403 of 6494 Old 08-07-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, as I have multiple dishes and receivers that with diseqc switches allow me to record from multiple sats at the same time. There's a big hobbyist group out there (and growing) that acquires old satellite systems from people that want them removed, restores them, and puts them to use. Check it out here:

So there are no rotors that work with the DVR+ because you need a DRV+ and antenna for each directional set of stations that you want to both record and watch at the same time. So we took the long way around to prove the intent of my original comment.
post #4404 of 6494 Old 08-07-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
So there are no rotors that work with the DVR+ because you need a DRV+ and antenna for each directional set of stations that you want to both record and watch at the same time. So we took the long way around to prove the intent of my original comment.
Satellite receiving where the beam is the size of a pencil width isn't the same as OTA tv station receiving. It is entirely possible to receive TWO OTA tv channels, from TWO different directions, at the SAME time with a SINGLE tv antenna. So you are partially right that there's no automatic rotors that work with the DVR+, but not right about the rest. Plus, there are people that put up more than a single tv antenna pointing at the different groups of channels they want. With NO rotor even needed.
post #4405 of 6494 Old 08-08-2014, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Antenna's have two directions, there's no doubt about that.
That's not strictly accurate, except for a dipole antenna, which has equal gain in both directions 90° to the axis of its (single) element. If you took a balloon and squeezed it to a tiny little point in the middle, you'd have a dipole's radiation (thus, its reception) pattern.

Yagi arrays (which is what common "triangle-shaped" TV antennas are) are dipoles with director elements "in front" of the dipole and reflectors "behind" it. Yagis have "lobes" in their patterns. The major lobe is toward the "front" of the antenna (the narrow end), the largest minor lobe is directly off the back. Rejection is greatest at 90° to the front-to-back axis (IOW: Off the sides) -- along the axis of the elements.

The degree of rejection off the back of a yagi is proportional to the antenna's rated gain. Thus: Bigger arrays, which have more gain, will have greater rejection off the back-side of the antenna. With higher-gain arrays: The radiation patterns also narrow, and, IIRC, the side lobes multiply in number.

Jim
jjeff likes this.

Last edited by SEMIJim; 08-08-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Syntax correction
post #4406 of 6494 Old 08-08-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Because I'm in an area that is in between two larger cities, each with their own TV networks, it's common around here to see two antennas mounted on one mast.
post #4407 of 6494 Old 08-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Satellite receiving where the beam is the size of a pencil width ...
I don't mean to pick on you , but that isn't quite accurate, either.

The signal from satellites is a lot wider than a pencil width, or nobody save the one person on the planet toward which it was aimed would be able to receive it at all. What's happening is the signal is very, very weak, as compared to a terrestrial signal, so very directional, very high-gain, very low-noise hardware has to be used. For any receiving site on the planet, the strongest signal will be "seen" when the antenna is pointed directly at the transmission source, but that's an aspect of how the antenna behaves in "gathering" signal.

The balloon analogy wasn't quite accurate, but it was close enough to get the general idea across. So, too, will be this one.

Imagine a garden hose with a nozzle set to a spray and you're attempting to gather as much water as possible in a bucket. That would happen with the opening of the bucket pointed as closely as possible to the direction from which the water's coming, rather than it being pointed off on an angle to it.

Jim
post #4408 of 6494 Old 08-08-2014, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Question,

If I purchase a new external hard drive would I be able to transfer my old DVR+ recordings to the new external hard drive?
post #4409 of 6494 Old 08-08-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 65
You folks are all ignoring the fact that there's no interface OUT of the DVR+ into the antenna rotor to tell the rotor what channel is interesting.

And is the ChannelMaster 9521 still available? It allowed control of the rotor via an IR remote. Punch in the channel number and the antenna rotates.
I've installed three of these in various houses. It's even compatible with some older CM rotor motors.

Chuck
post #4410 of 6494 Old 08-08-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAhead View Post
I found a glitch in the grid recording this week... I used the guide to record EXTANT this past week, which in the guide showed to be on between 8 and 9 CDT. In the meantime, the network moved EXTANT to the 9 to 10 CDT time slot. The DVR did not correct the time. It recirded the replacement show in the 8 to 9 time slot as originally scheduled and not EXTANT. I have been following this thread for awhile, and I don't recall seeing this particular situation before, but please correct me if that is not the case. Anybody else run across this? I ended up having to stream the episode using a Verizon wi-fi hotspot which only has 5 gigs of data access...
I have not watched Extant yet. I'm recording the whole season first. But you may wish to see how the guide handles 8/20, since there will be two "new" episodes. I expect the TiVo guide to fail, but I need to wait a few days to check.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page