590Likes

post #4441 of 6568 Old 08-13-2014, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post
It look like you and a number of others who bought this drive from Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk have had serious problems with it. I also read several positive five star "reviews" that didn't sound too credible. This one titled "Good but not without issues" does sound credible: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R13ZY...R13ZYTP7SKP1PI . I suggest you either get one of the recommend Seagate drives or an equivalent Western Digital drive.
Will do. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4442 of 6568 Old 08-13-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 448
If you want to be sure that the drive isn't bad, you can download a Linux Live CD (or a file to put on a USB flash drive) that will let you boot Linux temporarily. Once you do that, connect the HDD to your PC and use Linux to format it to ext2 manually.

I have a feeling all these "my HDD doesn't work!" problems stem from the DVR+ having a firmware flaw that prevents it from always formatting new drives correctly. Some drives also come pre-formatted to a Windows filesystem (usually NTFS), which may confuse the DVR+. Using Linux to establish the Linux filesystem should eliminate any doubts as to whether your drive is bad.
post #4443 of 6568 Old 08-13-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
If you want to be sure that the drive isn't bad, you can download a Linux Live CD (or a file to put on a USB flash drive) that will let you boot Linux temporarily. Once you do that, connect the HDD to your PC and use Linux to format it to ext2 manually.

I have a feeling all these "my HDD doesn't work!" problems stem from the DVR+ having a firmware flaw that prevents it from always formatting new drives correctly. Some drives also come pre-formatted to a Windows filesystem (usually NTFS), which may confuse the DVR+. Using Linux to establish the Linux filesystem should eliminate any doubts as to whether your drive is bad.
I'l look into trying that. I am not sure that my laptop would even be able to do that because it says the drive is drawing too much power. That's what I get for buying something cheapy.
post #4444 of 6568 Old 08-13-2014, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrdun View Post
Does the DVR+ handle the DST change in Fall or Spring correctly?

I don't remember seeing any comment on that.

Thank you.
I can confirm that it's flawless.
post #4445 of 6568 Old 08-13-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb940072 View Post

When displaying guide, five channels appear, and can move up/down channels using arrow keys, or forward in time by up to a day at a time for the five channels showing. Guide is also searchable.
Guide Surfing question:
If displaying guide, I can go up or down one channel at a time using arrows keys. Is there any way to skip up or down through a screen of the guide (i.e., up/down 5 channels) at a time- essentially a page up / page down feature?
Yes, that's what the Page up and Page down buttons do when you're in the Guide :-).
pb940072 likes this.
post #4446 of 6568 Old 08-13-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAhead View Post
One other word of caution before buying a new HDTV... Do you have any idea what reception you might have for OTA signals? Do you have an antenna? Do you know how far you are from wanted stations? Have you done a tvfool.com report showing what you might expect? Are you able to erect an outdoor antenna if need be? All this needs to be explored before cutting the cord...
Remember there are many local OTA threads on this forum. I would suggest checking your local thread and asking for help there. It has been my experience in my area that the local people know what works and what doesn't. In fact in our area we have a guy who answers most everyone's specific questions about equipment and installation as well as known problems and will even help with determining if you have a chance for reception. Good luck.
post #4447 of 6568 Old 08-13-2014, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_ View Post
Yes, that's what the Page up and Page down buttons do when you're in the Guide :-).
Ha! I didn't even notice those on the CM remote (until you brought it up), and don't have them on the Logitech Harmony. I'll remap a couple of other buttons on the Harmony to do that.

I'm actually glad they did that, because it is a great feature. I just completely missed it (and I hadn't noticed it in the CM guide)...

Thanks!
post #4448 of 6568 Old 08-13-2014, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb940072 View Post
Ha! I didn't even notice those on the CM remote (until you brought it up), and don't have them on the Logitech Harmony. I'll remap a couple of other buttons on the Harmony to do that.

I'm actually glad they did that, because it is a great feature. I just completely missed it (and I hadn't noticed it in the CM guide)...

Thanks!
Just noticed it is already mapped on the Harmony remote, just at a place I thought was for the display rather than the device.

So all is good!

Thanks again!
post #4449 of 6568 Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 PM

Thanks for your help everyone! The hdd was crap. We bought a toshiba and it works like a charm.
post #4450 of 6568 Old 08-13-2014, 11:30 PM

Oh yeah, before I did much of any thinking about the matter I first hit one of those websites that'll chart what stations you can expect and strength and I hit one of those sites again recently. I live in Carrollton, a subburb just North of Dallas and according to the sites there are transmission towers scattered throughout the Dallas area. Beleive me, I wouldn't even be considering this if the sites told me my reception would be non-existent...
post #4451 of 6568 Old 08-14-2014, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Blanco View Post
Oh yeah, before I did much of any thinking about the matter I first hit one of those websites that'll chart what stations you can expect and strength and I hit one of those sites again recently. I live in Carrollton, a subburb just North of Dallas and according to the sites there are transmission towers scattered throughout the Dallas area. Beleive me, I wouldn't even be considering this if the sites told me my reception would be non-existent...
OK, it's good to hear that you've already done your homework on that matter. Have you decided w if you are going to replace your old TV or not? I think you will enjoy the experience a lot more if you do...

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
post #4452 of 6568 Old 08-14-2014, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxlzbaca View Post
It says the wireless is connected, but the internet is not.
That would imply that the DVR+ is associated with the WiFi router, but has not been given one or more of:

• An IP address
  • A subnet mask (aka: "netmask")
  • A gateway address (aka: "default route")
  • One-or-more DNS server addresses

Go into "Network Setup -> Connection Settings" and check. Make certain "Auto Setup" is selected.

Quote:
The guide does not update regularly and we can't use vudu.
Doesn't update regularly, or at all? These are quite different things.

Quote:
We do not have an external hard drive, but will be adding one tomorrow. Could that be the problem?
No. We ran ours for at least a week without the external hard drive. No problem.

Quote:
I checked our wireless router's control website and it shows the DVR+ as connected.
Web page, I think you mean. A web site is something else entirely

It sounds to me like your DVR+ is not getting its network addressing setup from the router, as I suggested above. In such a case: It can be connected, but have no way to actually use the network. Either you turned off auto setup or your router is not giving the DVR+ its network configuration.

Jim
post #4453 of 6568 Old 08-15-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Web page, I think you mean. A web site is something else entirely

It sounds to me like your DVR+ is not getting its network addressing setup from the router, as I suggested above. In such a case: It can be connected, but have no way to actually use the network. Either you turned off auto setup or your router is not giving the DVR+ its network configuration.

Jim
Actually, the security webpage (one word) is accessed through the router's specific website (again one word). They are not entirely different and are commonly confused. In this case, I meant website.

We got the whole setup working. I reset everything and bought a new HDD. All is working over here.
post #4454 of 6568 Old 08-15-2014, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Actually, the security webpage (one word) is accessed through the router's specific website (again one word). They are not entirely different and are commonly confused. In this case, I meant website.
Don't try to teach your grandmother how to such eggs As one would have thought would've been obvious by my other comments: This is an area in which I have just a little >< knowledge. (I do I.T. for a living, and have been doing so since before there was an Internet, much less web sites/pages.)

You may choose to spell "web page" as a single word, but it can be expressed, correctly, either way. Same for "web site." Furthermore, your local router's web server serving web pages for configuration and status information does not a web site make it. I currently administer web sites (yes, plural), as well as multiple network devices (yes, again: plural) that have HTTP servers, so I kinda think I know the difference.

Quote:
We got the whole setup working. I reset everything and bought a new HDD. All is working over here.
I'm glad you got it working. Hope you enjoy your DVR+ as much as we're enjoying ours.

Jim
post #4455 of 6568 Old 08-15-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Don't try to teach your grandmother how to such eggs As one would have thought would've been obvious by my other comments: This is an area in which I have just a little >< knowledge. (I do I.T. for a living, and have been doing so since before there was an Internet, much less web sites/pages.)

You may choose to spell "web page" as a single word, but it can be expressed, correctly, either way. Same for "web site." Furthermore, your local router's web server serving web pages for configuration and status information does not a web site make it. I currently administer web sites (yes, plural), as well as multiple network devices (yes, again: plural) that have HTTP servers, so I kinda think I know the difference.

I'm glad you got it working. Hope you enjoy your DVR+ as much as we're enjoying ours.

Jim
I'm happy that you have such experience and respect your opinion. I'm not particularly concerned as to what you do for a living, just as I'm sure you are not concerned with what I may or may not do for a living. It's actually pretty ridiculous to be critiquing a difference of words, spellings, or grammar when it truly has nothing to do with the actual topic. Like I said thank you for your input and help.
post #4456 of 6568 Old 08-15-2014, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread

For all the I.T. and Internet savvy people, please follow the sentiment best said by Dr. Jon Postel; "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send."

Last edited by idoug; 08-15-2014 at 11:12 PM. Reason: conservative
post #4457 of 6568 Old 08-16-2014, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Is anyone else having problems with their DVR+ losing all stored channels? This happens for days after I rotate my antenna and has plagued me for two weeks after switching from the Fresno market to Sacramento.
post #4458 of 6568 Old 08-16-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post
Is anyone else having problems with their DVR+ losing all stored channels? This happens for days after I rotate my antenna and has plagued me for two weeks after switching from the Fresno market to Sacramento.

Yes. A factory reset seems to fix it.
post #4459 of 6568 Old 08-16-2014, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
We used to have this problem with our first flat-screen TV: A Philips model. It would occasionally lose one-or-more channels, requiring a manual rescan.

I don't know if it was related, but that Philips TV's manual stated the TV would automatically do a rescan in the middle of the night, to catch new, disappeared and moved channels.

So far neither our DVR+, nor anything else we have with an ATSC tuner, has exhibited that behaviour.

Jim
post #4460 of 6568 Old 08-16-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 1
autonomously record various TV stations

I want to autonomously record various TV stations without having to move the antenna. So I think I want a omni-directional antenna. I tired this inside thin flat one from amazon http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-U...rds=tv+antenna but it wasn't multi-directional and I couldn't get some of my farthest stations which are 36 miles away. Here's my tvfool.com results (I only care about the green stations ie 36 miles or less) http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2faff999b359 Any suggestions ??

thanks

noHatNoCattle
post #4461 of 6568 Old 08-16-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Maybe something to try?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #4462 of 6568 Old 08-16-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by noHatNoCattle View Post
Any suggestions ??
You are unfortunately blessed with 3 VHF channels, 1 of them in the VHF-LO band. No antenna smaller than a breadbox is going to do a good job receiving 6 (I'm in the Philadelphia area and we have exactly the same situation), especially indoors. Unfortunately, dipole antennas capable of receiving VHF-LO are a) dimensionally large - 6 ft. wide or more and b) inherently directional (best reception at right angles to the dipole elements). Your best bet would be a VHF only directional antenna (perhaps a folded dipole) pointed at 158 degrees combined with a separate smaller directional UHF antenna pointed at 290 degrees which should also pick up channels 7 and 12 (VHF-HI) and also the off-axis UHF stations (which are VERY nearby and should sneak through). Attic or rooftop location would be best. Struggling with a bunch of nearby stations at high power in one direction and weaker more distant stations in other directions is always a problem (usually solved with a rotory directional antenna), so a fixed antenna solution is certainly going to be challenging. You have the advantage (i.e.: altitude) of a line-of-sight path to all of them, so it's possible that you may sneak by with a simpler solution if you go rooftop. I'm also concerned that those nearby channels could overload the DVR+ front end.

For information only (re: my setup in the Philly suburbs), see
Philadelphia, PA - OTA and
Philadelphia, PA - OTA
The trees mentioned have long ago been cut down, the digital transition is past, and everything works great. I even pull in a few off-axis stations from NJ.

If by some miracle, you're already pulling in channel 6, everything becomes considerably simpler.

If you don't think you understand this, it would be best to call in a pro.

Good luck and welcome to the world of OTA! Let us know what finally works for you.

NOTE: I just noticed that the TV-FOOL listing shows channel 6 as a low-power station, which may mean that it is incorrectly listed as digital in the table. If you don't need to receive 6 or it is not really a digital station, again that simplifies things.

Last edited by frank70; 08-16-2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Added NOTE
post #4463 of 6568 Old 08-17-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoug View Post
Yes. A factory reset seems to fix it.
Have done multiple factory resets, yet, the problem persists. Two days without having to do a full channel rescan.
post #4464 of 6568 Old 08-17-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Have done multiple factory resets, yet, the problem persists. Two days without having to do a full channel rescan.
Besides the factory reset could you try unplugging it from the wall for a minute and then connecting power back on (cold reboot)?
post #4465 of 6568 Old 08-17-2014, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi all. Just got a new DVR+ and it is working well. One question: how do I set it to record a whole series? The 'record' button only seems to record the selected episode in the guide. I may be missing something obvious, but haven't found any options for recording all episodes of something. BTW it is the 16 gb model with a 1TB hdd connected, and no wifi.
post #4466 of 6568 Old 08-17-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If the DVR+ isn't somehow defective, I can't see how channels can disappear from the channel list on their own (presuming you don't do another full scan after rotating your antenna). The only way they can disappear is via a full scan or through manual deletion from the list. Perhaps someone in your household is playing a joke on you.
post #4467 of 6568 Old 08-17-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
You are unfortunately blessed with 3 VHF channels, 1 of them in the VHF-LO band. No antenna smaller than a breadbox is going to do a good job receiving 6 (I'm in the Philadelphia area and we have exactly the same situation), especially indoors. Unfortunately, dipole antennas capable of receiving VHF-LO are a) dimensionally large - 6 ft. wide or more and b) inherently directional (best reception at right angles to the dipole elements). Your best bet would be a VHF only directional antenna (perhaps a folded dipole) pointed at 158 degrees combined with a separate smaller directional UHF antenna pointed at 290 degrees which should also pick up channels 7 and 12 (VHF-HI) and also the off-axis UHF stations (which are VERY nearby and should sneak through). Attic or rooftop location would be best. Struggling with a bunch of nearby stations at high power in one direction and weaker more distant stations in other directions is always a problem (usually solved with a rotory directional antenna), so a fixed antenna solution is certainly going to be challenging. You have the advantage (i.e.: altitude) of a line-of-sight path to all of them, so it's possible that you may sneak by with a simpler solution if you go rooftop. I'm also concerned that those nearby channels could overload the DVR+ front end.

For information only (re: my setup in the Philly suburbs), see
Philadelphia, PA - OTA and
Philadelphia, PA - OTA
The trees mentioned have long ago been cut down, the digital transition is past, and everything works great. I even pull in a few off-axis stations from NJ.

If by some miracle, you're already pulling in channel 6, everything becomes considerably simpler.

If you don't think you understand this, it would be best to call in a pro.

Good luck and welcome to the world of OTA! Let us know what finally works for you.

NOTE: I just noticed that the TV-FOOL listing shows channel 6 as a low-power station, which may mean that it is incorrectly listed as digital in the table. If you don't need to receive 6 or it is not really a digital station, again that simplifies things.
Frank70,

Thanks for a detailed answer and taking time to answer my question !

I don't care about VHF channel 6 but I do care about channels VHF 7 and 12. The positions of my desired TV towers are at 63, 47, 304, 298 degrees. I have one 6 ft. x 12 ft. rooftop antenna already. I think I'll try a two fixed antenna solution, one pointing at 300 degrees (midway between 304 and 298) and one pointing at 51 degrees (midway between 47 and 63) and hope using the midpoints are close enough to receive the stations. Comments?

Do I use a splitter to combine the two antenna coaxials to one coaxial which I then connect the one coaxial to my DVR+?

You mentioned "nearby channels could overload the DVR+ front end". What would I notice if the DVR+ front end was overloaded?

Thanks again for your help.

noHatNoCattle
post #4468 of 6568 Old 08-17-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noHatNoCattle View Post
The positions of my desired TV towers are at 63, 47, 304, 298 degrees. I have one 6 ft. x 12 ft. rooftop antenna already. I think I'll try a two fixed antenna solution, one pointing at 300 degrees (midway between 304 and 298) and one pointing at 51 degrees (midway between 47 and 63) and hope using the midpoints are close enough to receive the stations. Comments?
First of all, use the magnetic bearings, not the true bearings, assuming you're using a compass to set the antenna direction. Secondly, the stations at 49/33 (true 63/47) are so close and strong you're going to receive them no matter which direction you point the antenna, so just go with one at 288 (true 300) to get the 35 mile stations.
Quote:
Do I use a splitter to combine the two antenna coaxials to one coaxial which I then connect the one coaxial to my DVR+?
You can but make sure both antennas a mounted on the same mast (i.e.: at the same lat/lon) one above the other or you'll be flirting with multipath problems.
Quote:
You mentioned "nearby channels could overload the DVR+ front end". What would I notice if the DVR+ front end was overloaded?
An overloaded front end may distort the waveform and actually make it harder for the tuner to lock onto an ATSC signal reliably. In this case, inserting an attenuator (or a splitter or two) before the DVR would help, but to the detriment of the weaker signals.
post #4469 of 6568 Old 08-17-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Contact Channel Master:
http://www.channelmaster.com/Contact_Us-a/269.htm
post #4470 of 6568 Old 08-17-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
If the DVR+ isn't somehow defective, I can't see how channels can disappear from the channel list on their own (presuming you don't do another full scan after rotating your antenna). The only way they can disappear is via a full scan or through manual deletion from the list. Perhaps someone in your household is playing a joke on you.
Frank, no one here to do that!

After turning the antenna, I would do a full scan, receiving 38-76 channels, based on direction. Using and watching it that day is fine. The next day when I turn it on, it is receiving 0 channels.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page