post #4471 of 4704 Old 08-17-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by noHatNoCattle View Post
The positions of my desired TV towers are at 63, 47, 304, 298 degrees. I have one 6 ft. x 12 ft. rooftop antenna already. I think I'll try a two fixed antenna solution, one pointing at 300 degrees (midway between 304 and 298) and one pointing at 51 degrees (midway between 47 and 63) and hope using the midpoints are close enough to receive the stations. Comments?
First of all, use the magnetic bearings, not the true bearings, assuming you're using a compass to set the antenna direction. Secondly, the stations at 49/33 (true 63/47) are so close and strong you're going to receive them no matter which direction you point the antenna, so just go with one at 288 (true 300) to get the 35 mile stations.
Quote:
Do I use a splitter to combine the two antenna coaxials to one coaxial which I then connect the one coaxial to my DVR+?
You can but make sure both antennas a mounted on the same mast (i.e.: at the same lat/lon) one above the other or you'll be flirting with multipath problems.
Quote:
You mentioned "nearby channels could overload the DVR+ front end". What would I notice if the DVR+ front end was overloaded?
An overloaded front end may distort the waveform and actually make it harder for the tuner to lock onto an ATSC signal reliably. In this case, inserting an attenuator (or a splitter or two) before the DVR would help, but to the detriment of the weaker signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4472 of 4704 Old 08-17-2014, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post
Have done multiple factory resets, yet, the problem persists. Two days without having to do a full channel rescan.

Contact Channel Master:
http://www.channelmaster.com/Contact_Us-a/269.htm
post #4473 of 4704 Old 08-17-2014, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
If the DVR+ isn't somehow defective, I can't see how channels can disappear from the channel list on their own (presuming you don't do another full scan after rotating your antenna). The only way they can disappear is via a full scan or through manual deletion from the list. Perhaps someone in your household is playing a joke on you.
Frank, no one here to do that!

After turning the antenna, I would do a full scan, receiving 38-76 channels, based on direction. Using and watching it that day is fine. The next day when I turn it on, it is receiving 0 channels.
post #4474 of 4704 Old 08-17-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_ View Post
Besides the factory reset could you try unplugging it from the wall for a minute and then connecting power back on (cold reboot)?
I have also done multiple "cold reboots" as you suggested. Today is day 3 of turning it on and still having channels stored.
post #4475 of 4704 Old 08-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post
After turning the antenna, I would do a full scan, receiving 38-76 channels, based on direction. Using and watching it that day is fine. The next day when I turn it on, it is receiving 0 channels.
Not certain, but I suspect you have a defective DVR+. I suggest you contact CM support. They're really very friendly, helpful people, that will, if my experience was any guide, bend over backwards to make a customer happy.
post #4476 of 4704 Old 08-17-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Not certain, but I suspect you have a defective DVR+. I suggest you contact CM support. They're really very friendly, helpful people, that will, if my experience was any guide, bend over backwards to make a customer happy.
My DVR+ is 6 months old, and with my experience with them in the past, I am not hopeful. IF they even offered to do anything, they would want me to pay to ship it to them, wait for them to test it, and then pay for them to send the same one back to me. It has been working for 3 days now. I will see if there are any diagnostics next time it loses all the channels and channel list.
post #4477 of 4704 Old 08-18-2014, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearfix View Post
Hi all. Just got a new DVR+ and it is working well. One question: how do I set it to record a whole series? The 'record' button only seems to record the selected episode in the guide. I may be missing something obvious, but haven't found any options for recording all episodes of something. BTW it is the 16 gb model with a 1TB hdd connected, and no wifi.
1. In the guide, move the highlight to the show you want to record.
2. Press the "OK" button on the remote.
3. Select "Record program".
4. Select "Record all programs with this name".

Note that this will record all airings with this exact name. I'm pretty sure that this is case-sensitive. But I'm not 100% positive on that. Also note that the DVR+ doesn't differentiate between new and repeat episodes. The repeats will be recorded.

You mention that you have no WiFi. Does that mean that you have no Internet connection at all? Or are you using the Ethernet connection to connect directly to your router? If you're using the direct Ethernet connection, then that provides the same functionality as the WiFi. If you have no Internet connection at all, I highly recommend connecting your DVR+. Your TV life becomes much better with it.
post #4478 of 4704 Old 08-18-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Great, thanks much.

About the wifi, there is no internet connection at all. I am trying to see if we can do without the dongle. You get the extended guide, and can update software from wifi, but any other advantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
1. In the guide, move the highlight to the show you want to record.
2. Press the "OK" button on the remote.
3. Select "Record program".
4. Select "Record all programs with this name".

Note that this will record all airings with this exact name. I'm pretty sure that this is case-sensitive. But I'm not 100% positive on that. Also note that the DVR+ doesn't differentiate between new and repeat episodes. The repeats will be recorded.

You mention that you have no WiFi. Does that mean that you have no Internet connection at all? Or are you using the Ethernet connection to connect directly to your router? If you're using the direct Ethernet connection, then that provides the same functionality as the WiFi. If you have no Internet connection at all, I highly recommend connecting your DVR+. Your TV life becomes much better with it.
post #4479 of 4704 Old 08-18-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Great, thanks much.

About the wifi, there is no internet connection at all. I am trying to see if we can do without the dongle. You get the extended guide, and can update software from wifi, but any other advantages?
You get the extended guide with more accurate programming information. Vudu, and updates.

I just used a wireless bridge ($19 on Amazon) to hardwire cat5 cable into my DVR+. Definitely a much better experience with Internet.
post #4480 of 4704 Old 08-18-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Use of Multiple USB drives for a Library

I asked Channel Master about the use of multiple USB drives, for a library, on the DVR+. Here's effectively what they said.

1. Only one USB drive can be active at a time. If a 2nd USB drive is attached, it is not used.
2. When a USB drive fills up and is disconnected, another USB drive can be connected and that drive will receive future recordings, without affecting the recordings on the disconnected drive.
3. If the 2nd USB drive is disconnected, the 1st USB drive can be reconnected in order to play its recordings. Or, as expected, if some recordings are deleted, more recordings can be made.
4. In this way, there can be a library of USB drives, but again, only one at a time.

Now I'm wondering if USB drives can be moved between two DVR+ units? Anyone know?

As noted, in a previous post, the DVR+ that has an internal hard drive will NOT record to the internal hard drive if a USB drive is connected. If that USB drive is disconnected, recordings will again go to the internal hard drive.
post #4481 of 4704 Old 08-18-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Why wouldn't the drives be usable on multiple units? Unlike the new Magnavox, the DVR+ doesn't limit the number of drives you can use on each unit.
post #4482 of 4704 Old 08-18-2014, 06:23 PM

How many hours will a 3TB hard drive record?

Very basic question about external hard drive capacity that seems intuitively obvious--but who knows with electronics:

CM says of its new 1TB model: "Record up to 160 hours of HD . . . with 1TB of built-in storage capacity."

So . . . will my 3TB Seagate external hard drive record "up to" 480 hours of HD? Or close to that? What variables determine how close?

Thanks.

--DawnSun

DawnSun
post #4483 of 4704 Old 08-18-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSun View Post

Very basic question about external hard drive capacity that seems intuitively obvious--but who knows with electronics:

CM says of its new 1TB model: "Record up to 160 hours of HD . . . with 1TB of built-in storage capacity."

So . . . will my 3TB Seagate external hard drive record "up to" 480 hours of HD? Or close to that? What variables determine how close?

Thanks.

--DawnSun
The storage required for 480i, 720p and 1080i will use a different amount of storage. If you watch mostly Fox or ABC you will get more stored. 1080i/5.1 is about 8GB per hour. 720p/5.1 is about 6GB per hour.
post #4484 of 4704 Old 08-18-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Why wouldn't the drives be usable on multiple units? Unlike the new Magnavox, the DVR+ doesn't limit the number of drives you can use on each unit.
I don't know, that's why I asked. Perhaps the USB drive gets tied to the DVR+ Serial Number for some crazy copy protection nonsense? I don't know.
post #4485 of 4704 Old 08-18-2014, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just got my CM DVR+ in the mail today from the manufacturer. I can't seem to get the DVR to get past the "DVR+" logo screen. Every time I plug in the DVR+, for the first 15 seconds, I see the 'DVR+' logo on my screen--which leads me to believe my wiring and TV input (HDMI1) is set up correctly--then the TV loses its connection to the DVR+ as signified by the TV blinking black & displaying its input selection (HDMI1) in the upper left hand corner of the TV screen. 10 seconds later, the DVR+'s LED finally goes from solid RED to blinking BLUE, then solid BLUE. Pressing buttons on the remote does nothing.

Tech support sent me these instructions to manually update the software which did nothing:

The sequence is first make sure that the software update is on the usb flash drive and that nothing else is on the drive. (Please plug it into a computer and make sure you see no file that says "core dumps") Then follow these steps below.

1. Plug the USB flash drive into the DVR+. (remove wifi adapter if you are using that and not the external drive.)
2. Unplug the power from the DVR.
3. Press and hold the power button on the front of the DVR+.
4. Plug the power back in and keep holding the power button until you see the lights go from red to blue to red and then off. Once the lights go away, let go of the power button and wait three seconds. After the three seconds, press the power button once and then it should go to a grey screen.
5. Once it does this then all you need to do is wait.

If you do this and it does not go straight to the update please let us know so we can set up a phone call to help you figure this out. Thank you and have a great day.

Channel Master

No grey screen. Any ideas?
post #4486 of 4704 Old 08-18-2014, 09:28 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunado View Post
Just got my CM DVR+ in the mail today from the manufacturer. I can't seem to get the DVR to get past the "DVR+" logo screen. Every time I plug in the DVR+, for the first 15 seconds, I see the 'DVR+' logo on my screen--which leads me to believe my wiring and TV input (HDMI1) is set up correctly--then the TV loses its connection to the DVR+ as signified by the TV blinking black & displaying its input selection (HDMI1) in the upper left hand corner of the TV screen. 10 seconds later, the DVR+'s LED finally goes from solid RED to blinking BLUE, then solid BLUE. Pressing buttons on the remote does nothing.

Tech support sent me these instructions to manually update the software which did nothing:

The sequence is first make sure that the software update is on the usb flash drive and that nothing else is on the drive. (Please plug it into a computer and make sure you see no file that says "core dumps") Then follow these steps below.

1. Plug the USB flash drive into the DVR+. (remove wifi adapter if you are using that and not the external drive.)
2. Unplug the power from the DVR.
3. Press and hold the power button on the front of the DVR+.
4. Plug the power back in and keep holding the power button until you see the lights go from red to blue to red and then off. Once the lights go away, let go of the power button and wait three seconds. After the three seconds, press the power button once and then it should go to a grey screen.
5. Once it does this then all you need to do is wait.

If you do this and it does not go straight to the update please let us know so we can set up a phone call to help you figure this out. Thank you and have a great day.

Channel Master

No grey screen. Any ideas?

I had the same thing happen to me. It was because I tried to use the remote control plug on the back of the DVR+ with a non-CM remote extension. I think you can assume something is plugged in incorrectly.

You might try it with just the power plug and the HDMI to verify my theory.
post #4487 of 4704 Old 08-18-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSun View Post

As Joe said, the bitrate of the station you're recording determines the space required for each file. You can often determine how much that will be by how many subchannels the station has. Here's my usual breakdown:

1080i with no subchannels: 8 GB / hr
1080i with subchannels: 6 GB / hr
720p with subchannels: 4 GB / hr
480i subchannel: 2 GB / hr

The numbers depend upon the stations in your market, of course. Some 720p channels can be 6 GB / hr or higher.

If we assume 5 GB / hr (factoring in some recordings from 8 GB / hr and some from 2 GB / hr stations), a 3 TB HDD would give you 3 000 GB / 5 GB / hr = 600 hours of recording time. If you recorded only SD programs, you could perhaps fit 1 500 hours (3 000 GB / 2 GB / hr).

On the other hand, if you recorded only maxed-out 1080i stations, you'd have only 375 hours of recording time (3 000 / 8 GB / hr).

Note that these figures ignore space lost due to formatting the drive (space consumed by the ext2 filesystem itself) and any other system files the DVR+ might create.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I don't know, that's why I asked. Perhaps the USB drive gets tied to the DVR+ Serial Number for some crazy copy protection nonsense? I don't know.
There is no such known restriction. It should work just fine.
post #4488 of 4704 Old 08-18-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoug View Post
I had the same thing happen to me. It was because I tried to use the remote control plug on the back of the DVR+ with a non-CM remote extension. I think you can assume something is plugged in incorrectly.

You might try it with just the power plug and the HDMI to verify my theory.
Thanks Aleron Ives. I understand the antenna signal isn't my issue, I'd like to think something is plugged in incorrectly, but I'm getting the "DVR+" logo on my TV screen every time I reboot the DVR+.
post #4489 of 4704 Old 08-18-2014, 10:02 PM

So I got frustrated and just started randomly holding the power button then releasing and unplugging for about 30 seconds and then Blink! it started downloading the software update...but, unfortunately this did not resolve the problem. I'll see what the CM tech guys say in the morning and report back
post #4490 of 4704 Old 08-19-2014, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
I asked Channel Master about the use of multiple USB drives, for a library, on the DVR+. Here's effectively what they said.

1. Only one USB drive can be active at a time. If a 2nd USB drive is attached, it is not used.
2. When a USB drive fills up and is disconnected, another USB drive can be connected and that drive will receive future recordings, without affecting the recordings on the disconnected drive.
3. If the 2nd USB drive is disconnected, the 1st USB drive can be reconnected in order to play its recordings. Or, as expected, if some recordings are deleted, more recordings can be made.
4. In this way, there can be a library of USB drives, but again, only one at a time.

Now I'm wondering if USB drives can be moved between two DVR+ units? Anyone know?

As noted, in a previous post, the DVR+ that has an internal hard drive will NOT record to the internal hard drive if a USB drive is connected. If that USB drive is disconnected, recordings will again go to the internal hard drive.
As I did tests with internal SATA/USB and both drives before your question comes up
post #4491 of 4704 Old 08-19-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Unfortunately there does not appear to be a way to transfer recordings between the internal HDD and an external USB HDD. I would not be surprised if you cannot even play recordings that are stored on the internal HDD if an external USB HDD is attached.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4492 of 4704 Old 08-19-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Unfortunately there does not appear to be a way to transfer recordings between the internal HDD and an external USB HDD. I would not be surprised if you cannot even play recordings that are stored on the internal HDD if an external USB HDD is attached.
CM confirmed to me earlier that recordings cannot be transferred between drives (see Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread), but they didn't mention if the recordings on the internal drive could be played while a USB drive is attached, so I too suspect there is no access to the internal drive.
post #4493 of 4704 Old 08-19-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
CM confirmed to me earlier that recordings cannot be transferred between drives (see Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread), but they didn't mention if the recordings on the internal drive could be played while a USB drive is attached, so I too suspect there is no access to the internal drive.
That would be a shocking flaw in the DVR. An external drive should just be added to the mount points of the underlying vurtual file system layer in the OS and accesible to the system. Maybe their GUI doesnt expose it to the user though....Should be a no brainer for them to implement.
post #4494 of 4704 Old 08-19-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
That would be a shocking flaw in the DVR. An external drive should just be added to the mount points of the underlying vurtual file system layer in the OS and accesible to the system. Maybe their GUI doesnt expose it to the user though....Should be a no brainer for them to implement.
Thanks. One more question if you don't mind. What does DVR+ do when the HDD is full? Does it not record anymore, or does it overwrite some existing (oldest and/or viewed) recordings? The latter would be nicer, so you never have to worry about manually deleting something after watching it.
post #4495 of 4704 Old 08-19-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
I did the DVR+ int/ext HDDs tests and posted the result (is it just some sort of conspiracy - Enton's CM-7400 behave same way)
post #4496 of 4704 Old 08-19-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Thanks. One more question if you don't mind. What does DVR+ do when the HDD is full? Does it not record anymore, or does it overwrite some existing (oldest and/or viewed) recordings? The latter would be nicer, so you never have to worry about manually deleting something after watching it.
I did a quick Google search and found a comment in a review of the DVR+ about getting "a false message that my hard drive was low on space and my designated recordings may not be complete". So it appears that the DVR+ will warn you when your drive space is getting low. See: http://hometheater.about.com/od/inte...DVR-Review.htm

You can read the percentage of recording space used on the DVR Recordings screen.
post #4497 of 4704 Old 08-19-2014, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
New DVR+ owner. I've read most of this whole thread, and I have a couple questions that I can't find the answer to.

1) Is there anyway to set recording priority among scheduled recordings?

2) Is there a way to, for any given scheduled recording, only keep the most recent one of these? For example, a nightly news program.

I fear the answer is no, there is currently no way to do these things.
post #4498 of 4704 Old 08-19-2014, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamcma View Post
New DVR+ owner. I've read most of this whole thread, and I have a couple questions that I can't find the answer to.

1) Is there anyway to set recording priority among scheduled recordings?

2) Is there a way to, for any given scheduled recording, only keep the most recent one of these? For example, a nightly news program.

I fear the answer is no, there is currently no way to do these things.
You are correct. The answer to both is "no". For question #2 , this may be of a little help - you can toggle the displayed sorting order of your existing recordings between alphabetical and chronological order with the yellow button. You'll at least be able to easily find the most recent recording of a show.
post #4499 of 4704 Old 08-19-2014, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
You are correct. The answer to both is "no". For question #2 , this may be of a little help - you can toggle the displayed sorting order of your existing recordings between alphabetical and chronological order with the yellow button. You'll at least be able to easily find the most recent recording of a show.
OK, that's what I figured.

Well, they say people from Channel Master read this, so: these features were standard issue on DVRs years and years ago, so we would all appreciate it if they were fast-tracked on the DVR+.
pachinko likes this.
post #4500 of 4704 Old 08-19-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamcma View Post
OK, that's what I figured.

Well, they say people from Channel Master read this, so: these features were standard issue on DVRs years and years ago, so we would all appreciate it if they were fast-tracked on the DVR+.
I doubt anyone from Channel Master is following this thread because if they were they would have realized by now all they need to do is update the PAL DVR/CM7000 with internet to provide guide service and they would have a hot seller!

My best friend is my PAL
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page