post #4531 of 4687 Old 08-23-2014, 12:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
can you connect to the dvr's drive over the network as a share and offload/load/edit recordings yet?
If you mean the DVR+, the answer is no -- not now and almost certainly not in the future.

TiVo is the only stand-alone DVR that allows bi-directional network transfers of recordings. Free software available to do this.

You get what you pay for with DVR's.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4532 of 4687 Old 08-23-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
can you connect to the dvr's drive over the network as a share and offload/load/edit recordings yet?
it's ambiguous question
- do you mean : disconnect the drive from DVR+ and install it into NAS enclosure ? then yes
- or expose to network as sharing resource (say SAMBA) by unknown to us feature of DVR+ OS ? no one know if it possible
post #4533 of 4687 Old 08-23-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
it's ambiguous question
- do you mean : disconnect the drive from DVR+ and install it into NAS enclosure ? then yes
- or expose to network as sharing resource (say SAMBA) by unknown to us feature of DVR+ OS ? no one know if it possible
If you read what I wrote it is not ambiguous at all.
Does the DVR+ expose its drive as a SMB/NFS share which can be accessed remotely?
Some sat DVR's have this typ of functionality and that is why I asked about this DVR.
It would be a very simple feature for the manufacturer to add to the device.
Simply enable a share using the built in networking protocols the OS supports.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Last edited by qz3fwd; 08-23-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Added thanks
post #4534 of 4687 Old 08-23-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I did understand your question as directed to the drive, not to DVR+ with a drive ... well, you clarified now.
post #4535 of 4687 Old 08-23-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I am considering purchasing the model with the built in 1TB drive as a birthday present to myself next month and a new toy to play with, but I just pulled the trigger on a Google developer hardware AndroidTV ADT-1 on ebay to play with my HDHomeRun's! Damn ebay.....
post #4536 of 4687 Old 08-23-2014, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
TiVo is the only stand-alone DVR that allows bi-directional network transfers of recordings. Free software available to do this.

You get what you pay for with DVR's.
Assuming you are talking about 3rd party software, yeah. But just a heads up, there is no longer a free version of Tivo Desktop.
post #4537 of 4687 Old 08-23-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I am considering purchasing the model with the built in 1TB drive as a birthday present to myself next month and a new toy to play with, but I just pulled the trigger on a Google developer hardware AndroidTV ADT-1 on ebay to play with my HDHomeRun's! Damn ebay.....
See, I would do the opposite and buy the one that you attach a portable HDD to. The 1TB version is at a price premium for what you could get the DVR+ for and buy a HDD. Plus, in case of HDD failure, you don't have to open the box, you just get a new portable HDD. Then again, I'm one of those stereo system buyers who want a separate amp, tuner, DVD player, etc. Never did like the all in one designs.

Hope someone catches my other question: I've seen complaints of dropouts/skipping. Is this common to all DVR+ or is it more of a HDD issue? Has there been any consensus on this?
post #4538 of 4687 Old 08-23-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve771 View Post
Hope someone catches my other question: I've seen complaints of dropouts/skipping. Is this common to all DVR+ or is it more of a HDD issue? Has there been any consensus on this?
I have both DVR+ models (the internal and the external with a recommended 1TB HDD). No dropouts or skipping experienced on either.

Keep in mind that the firmware is still evolving from all that has been reported - with each new release they appear to add / improve a feature or two.
post #4539 of 4687 Old 08-23-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Assuming you are talking about 3rd party software, yeah. But just a heads up, there is no longer a free version of Tivo Desktop.
The free version is still available from alternate download sites. kmttg is better anyway. If you want to be simple and direct, TiVo's have a built in web server

https://TiVo IP address
log in with TiVo Mac address and you can transfer anything with a click of your browser window.

As I said, you get what you pay for.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4540 of 4687 Old 08-23-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
That's not true; the TViX also allows you to transfer files in both directions using FTP and SMB. NFS also works, but only to play files stored on your PC using the DVR. You don't need a TiVo for networking functionality.
post #4541 of 4687 Old 08-23-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
That's not true; the TViX also allows you to transfer files in both directions using FTP and SMB. NFS also works, but only to play files stored on your PC using the DVR. You don't need a TiVo for networking functionality.
I stand corrected.

- kelson h

post #4542 of 4687 Old 08-24-2014, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Anything that isn't a TiVo will probably require quite a bit of maintenance, because only TiVo offers name-based recording with the ability to only record new episodes. The DVR+ can record shows by name, but it will record repeats, too, so you'll potentially have to sift through a bunch of recordings to find the new episodes. By not spending the money on a TiVo, you're agreeing to manage your recording schedule yourself and adjust your timers as needed to deal with rescheduled shows, weeks without new episodes, and other scheduling irregularities. Regular DVR "maintenance" is part of the deal with time-based recording, regardless of which unit you buy.
As a former TiVo User, I am also currently starting to use Windows 7 Media Center, and it also does have the capability to record only new Shows. It also has the capability to duplicate the TiVo's "Wish List" function via its Search function. PC MC is not a "DVR" since it's a PC with Software, but is quite capable overall, and has an excellent free Guide. I also bought the DVR+ and a WD Passport 1TB Drive. The Unit is now being evaluated by CM Tech Support for issues I've had with responsiveness (which do not seem to have been due to the Remote). Otherwise the DVR+ works just fine. I will update this when CM's analysis is available.
post #4543 of 4687 Old 08-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Does the DVR+ expose its drive as a SMB/NFS share which can be accessed remotely?
I've never seen any suggestion that it can do that. I've seen nothing in the User's Guide or any of the setup screens to suggest it can do that. Browsing our LAN, I see no devices other than our network server. I did a TCP port scan of our DVR+ and no ports are open.

So I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest: No, it does not.

Jim
idoug likes this.
post #4544 of 4687 Old 08-24-2014, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Purchased direct from Channel Master. Setup was non-eventful, the firmware was upgraded over the network first try. The unit is hard wired to the network via homeplug (Netgear ethernet over powerline) adapters using the external drive (Western Digital My Book DVR AV expander, 1 TB usb/esata) from our Comcast DVR before we cancelled our subscription for everything but internet.

Picture quality is superb. Tested recording, no problems with equal picture quality. We use a splitter to both the TV and the DVR so that we can watch TV while recording two channels. No hiccups so far, keeping fingers crossed.
post #4545 of 4687 Old 08-24-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_ View Post
I have both DVR+ models (the internal and the external with a recommended 1TB HDD). No dropouts or skipping experienced on either.

Keep in mind that the firmware is still evolving from all that has been reported - with each new release they appear to add / improve a feature or two.
Thanks. Maybe the complaints I've seen have something to with HDD problems or maybe a bad DVR+.

With regards to updated firmware, did CM ever say they would definitely address 'new' recordings only, or they were just looking at it (any timetable?).
post #4546 of 4687 Old 08-24-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 321
It's not something they can fix alone. The guide data also needs to show which episodes are new in order for the firmware to know which ones to record.
post #4547 of 4687 Old 08-24-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
It's not something they can fix alone. The guide data also needs to show which episodes are new in order for the firmware to know which ones to record.
The Rovi-supplied guide probably provides that information (the old Rovi/TVGOS OTA guide contained both new/rerun status and vchip parental rating, so I suspect the current Rovi via internet guide does also). Unfortunately, the DVR+ currently chooses not to display or use that info (probably for compatibility with the alternative PSIP guide data which does not appear to provide the new/rerun status).
post #4548 of 4687 Old 08-25-2014, 09:07 PM

So if the guide data does contain the 'new' info, then it is something that CM can do. And if the issue is PSIP vs. the Rovi guide, it shouldn't be that hard to write an exclusion should the user be getting their data on one vs. the other.

The question is, will CM take the time to do this?
post #4549 of 4687 Old 08-25-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So if the guide data does contain the 'new' info, then it is something that CM can do. And if the issue is PSIP vs. the Rovi guide, it shouldn't be that hard to write an exclusion should the user be getting their data on one vs. the other.

for sure CM will not; only e* could make changes in FW
post #4550 of 4687 Old 08-26-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

post 4506

- kelson h

post #4551 of 4687 Old 08-26-2014, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
unknown event , show not recorded

One of my TV shows (MasterChef) for which I had scheduled to record did not record. I know the show was on because I was watching it while it supposed to be recording. When I looked at the schedule page it showed blanks for the start stop times for my TV show. When I looked at the guide page for my TV show it showed "Unknown event" where my TV show was supposed to be. Other channels showed the expected TV show names. Anyone else having this issue of your TV show not being recorded due to "Unknown event" and how did you solve it?? Thanks.

noHatNoCattle
post #4552 of 4687 Old 08-26-2014, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noHatNoCattle View Post
One of my TV shows (MasterChef) for which I had scheduled to record did not record. I know the show was on because I was watching it while it supposed to be recording. When I looked at the schedule page it showed blanks for the start stop times for my TV show. When I looked at the guide page for my TV show it showed "Unknown event" where my TV show was supposed to be. Other channels showed the expected TV show names. Anyone else having this issue of your TV show not being recorded due to "Unknown event" and how did you solve it?? Thanks.

noHatNoCattle

I gave up on the auto record and went to the manual tecord.
post #4553 of 4687 Old 08-26-2014, 11:59 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

noHatNoCattle
Check to see if that station is duplicated on channel 100.1. This can happen when there are 2 broadcasts in the same area, which the DVR+ is picking up. Refer to post #4098 on page 137 and post #4230 on page 141. I had something similar where the program guide initially listed our CBS station on the correct channel of 2.1. At some point, the DVR+ picked up another CBS broadcast, listing it as station 100.1. All of the program guide listing then appeared only for 100.1. Since the 100.1 broadcast is a little better than the 2.1 broadcast, I've just learned to live with it.
post #4554 of 4687 Old 08-26-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
Check to see if that station is duplicated on channel 100.1. This can happen when there are 2 broadcasts in the same area, which the DVR+ is picking up. Refer to post #4098 on page 137 and post #4230 on page 141. I had something similar where the program guide initially listed our CBS station on the correct channel of 2.1. At some point, the DVR+ picked up another CBS broadcast, listing it as station 100.1. All of the program guide listing then appeared only for 100.1. Since the 100.1 broadcast is a little better than the 2.1 broadcast, I've just learned to live with it.
Thanks for the reply. I live 35 miles south of San Francisco CA and can't get the duplicated channel for channel 2.1. 2.1 itself is very weak. I think there are problems with using "record all occurrences" and or the Rovi guide data. Does anyone else live near San Francisco and see "Unknown Events" ???

Sometimes the Guide has the stations listed and sometimes it shows "Unknown Event". CM suggested I re-scan using a zip code that is close to the transmitting tower. I tried that and there are still "Unknown Events" listed in the Guide.

My current guide shows "Unknown Event" for some time slots for Fox network channel 2.1 and Live Well network channels 7.2 and 7.3.

noHatNoCattle
post #4555 of 4687 Old 08-26-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I live 35 miles south of San Francisco CA and can't get the duplicated channel for channel 2.1. 2.1 itself is very weak. I think there are problems with using "record all occurrences" and or the Rovi guide data. Does anyone else live near San Francisco and see "Unknown Events" ???

Sometimes the Guide has the stations listed and sometimes it shows "Unknown Event". CM suggested I re-scan using a zip code that is close to the transmitting tower. I tried that and there are still "Unknown Events" listed in the Guide.

My current guide shows "Unknown Event" for some time slots for Fox network channel 2.1 and Live Well network channels 7.2 and 7.3.

noHatNoCattle

My Experience with the "record all occurrences" is it works for two weeks and then it comes up with the blanks :-).
post #4556 of 4687 Old 08-26-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
I gave up on the auto record and went to the manual tecord.
I hope I don't have to go the manual route but it may come to that .
post #4557 of 4687 Old 08-26-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My Experience with the "record all occurrences" is it works for two weeks and then it comes up with the blanks :-).
I asked mine to record all episodes of Cosmos (the new one) on Fox and it recorded all but one episode (20 April 2014, The Clean Room). No particular reason it didn't record that one, it just didn't. But it recorded episodes both before and after the missing episode, so I guess there is no generalization that can be drawn.

The missing episode can be found online if I poke around, or I could buy it from Amazon (streaming).

Last edited by frank70; 08-26-2014 at 03:27 PM.
post #4558 of 4687 Old 08-26-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Does CM know that??
post #4559 of 4687 Old 08-26-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Does CM know that??
Well, the fact that it misses episodes that were clearly aired is disturbing. It's a bug. But don't forget that CM didn't write the firmware, they're just a marketing firm these days. I'm not all that annoyed because I've come to realize that you just don't get what you pay for any more. If your toaster has firmware in it, your toast will be burned 5-10% of the time..

Last edited by frank70; 08-26-2014 at 03:38 PM.
post #4560 of 4687 Old 08-26-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
I asked mine to record all episodes of Cosmos (the new one) on Fox and it recorded all but one episode (20 April 2014, The Clean Room). No particular reason it didn't record that one, it just didn't. But it recorded episodes both before and after the missing episode, so I guess there is no generalization that can be drawn.

The missing episode can be found online if I poke around, or I could buy it from Amazon (streaming).
That's interesting... my current problem involves a Fox channel.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page