Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 153 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2014, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I've had ours set to record all occurrences of both The Big Bang Theory and CBS Evening News about ever since we turned it on. Not long after that, my wife added Elementary, Person of Interest, Extant and Sleepy Hollow.

Knock on wood, but, near as we can tell it hasn't missed a single airing of a single show, save that time Extant was moved "at the last minute."

Only problem we've had with the DVR+, so far, is it occasionally loses its tiny little mind and stops responding to anything but the power and channel up/down buttons, and has to be cold-booted to restore sanity.

One episode of something we had recorded was a bit messed-up at the beginning of playback. Image was "torn" and distorted. It cleared up after about a minute or so. I'm going to say it "arrived" that way, because I've never seen problem before.

We're using the DVR+ quite a bit. I'd say we watch more played back on the DVR+ than we do live.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamcma View Post
What I want in a firmware update is even lower-hanging fruit than recording only new episodes. How about keeping only one episode of a given scheduled recurring recording? For example, how about only keeping the most recent airing of a late night talk show? I don't watch them every night, but I'd prefer they not pile up on the drive; I'll only ever be interested in the newest one. And if I find on a Monday that's it's going to be a week of reruns, so be it, they can still record, but at least they wouldn't have to accumulate.

And how about taking a page from TiVo and, when you hit stop while playing back recorded material, offering to let you delete that episode right there? Rather than making you navigate back to the DVR and deleting it there?

This is really basic UX stuff that occurs to you after using this thing for just a day. It really makes you wonder if the designers and engineers use their own product.
A company (designed and maintain the product) well known for incompetent salary range and short of stuff in FW dept. I'm pretty sure there one or two guys doing support of the item,perhaps part time. If you're reading forums where people discuss bugs and asking for new fetures of e* products,you're probably knew that.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by noHatNoCattle View Post
Does CM know that??

My experience with CM once again (and only MY Experience) is to do a Factory Reset, and I got tired of doing Factory Resets that did not fix anything. So now if it is important to me I set up manual record. It is worth the Hassle (plus the lack of stress) to know it will be recorded. Just saying :-)
Old 08-27-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
So now if it is important to me I set up manual record. It is worth the Hassle (plus the lack of stress) to know it will be recorded.
Are you saying that your experience has been that a manual record has never failed to make the recording at he proscribed time and channel?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 08-27-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Are you saying that your experience has been that a manual record has never failed to make the recording at he proscribed time and channel?
Most of my recordings are one-time events, created by selecting a program thru the Electronic Program Guide, i.e., advance the guide to Monday's listings, scroll down to my local Fox station, scroll to "Sleepy Hollow", and press the Record button on the remote. I've also done a handful of totally manual recordings, i.e., set the channel, start time, and end time. I've never had either type of recording fail me.

Last edited by Arenal04; 08-27-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I doubt you will see any substantial DVR-related features added to the DVR+ and should consider it feature-complete as it stands. I suspect future additions will be primarily directed at adding Internet streaming channels - just what everyone wants.
Do you have some information, or are you speculating? CM has said as recently as August 1st that new episode filtering is in development along with new streaming options. I can point you to those comments on their official Facebook page if you'd like to see.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakep_82 View Post
Do you have some information, or are you speculating? CM has said as recently as August 1st that new episode filtering is in development along with new streaming options. I can point you to those comments on their official Facebook page if you'd like to see.
The next firmware release is out to beta testers. It appears focused on fixing outstanding bugs and adding content sources. If the lack of episode filtering is considered a bug, you may have a chance.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 08-27-2014, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
The next firmware release is out to beta testers. It appears focused on fixing outstanding bugs and adding content sources. If the lack of episode filtering is considered a bug, you may have a chance.
It's good to hear that a new beta is out. I would really like to see new episode filtering, but it won't break my heart if it doesn't happen.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is there a link describing the next firmware version?? which bug fixes? new capabilities? when to be released? etc etc?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Is there a link describing the next firmware version?? which bug fixes? new capabilities? when to be released? etc etc?
no to all.

Firmware updates have never been pre-announced, they just appear when released. If you have auto update turned on you will be one of the first to know.

To date all updates have been released with no official documentation or release notes as to what it fixes or adds.

- kelson h

Old 08-27-2014, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

That is correct. For Me manual has never failed to record. :-)
Old 08-27-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
That is correct. For Me manual has never failed to record. :-)
Thanks. Good to get such observations stated concretely.

- kelson h

Old 08-27-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
no to all.

Firmware updates have never been pre-announced, they just appear when released. If you have auto update turned on you will be one of the first to know.

To date all updates have been released with no official documentation or release notes as to what it fixes or adds.
I'll be the first to know what?? That the new version has been downloaded?? That's not much help. It would be nice to know what has been fixed and what the new capabilities are.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'll be the first to know what?? That the new version has been downloaded?? That's not much help. It would be nice to know what has been fixed and what the new capabilities are.
Don't shoot the messenger.

- kelson h

Old 08-27-2014, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
New user here but I have had my DVR+ for a few weeks now.
Beginning a few days ago I can no longer check for firmware updates from the Menu _ Settings _ Technical Info _ Software Updates option.
It says Problem with download site.

It is connected over wireless and Rovi updates every day without problem.

Anyone else having the same issue?
Old 08-27-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ Updating over wireless has been problematic for many people. Some times it works and other times it doesn't. For a dependable update connection, run a hard patch cord between the DVR+ and the router for the update process or download it to a USB stick from the web site and do it that way.

- kelson h

Old 08-27-2014, 06:19 PM

Well I could understand if it started downloading an update and stalled or something like that but it says it can't even connect to the the download site.
I was just wondering if the download site is even online right now?

I don't have a 50' Ethernet cable right now. Have to wait until the weekend.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert Souse' View Post
Well I could understand if it started downloading an update and stalled or something like that but it says it can't even connect to the the download site.

I wouldn't worry about missing an update. If you become a regular here, someone will post in this forum soon after the update becomes available and you can then use USB storage to install it.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 443
More importantly, you probably won't want to install any updates until other users here verify that they actually work and don't make the experience of using the DVR+ worse than it is now. Regressions are sadly commonplace with firmware updates, so being an early adopter often carries more risk than reward.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
That is really sad that the manufacturer responsible for the product is a merely a re-packager.
Personally I would have preferred the e* directly marketed the device and we could talk directly to them about issues/bugs/requests....
My gut feeling: CM is NOT a "re-packager", to use your term. CM has contracted with E* to write the firmware and dictates the feature set to E* based on where they see this product going and what their priorities are. As I said this is my "gut" feeling. I think of a "re-packager" as someone who sells a product that appears on the market under multiple labels. No one else markets this particular product.

For all of us who own these DVRs, it's encouraging that Kelson reports that another version of the firmware is out to the testers ... this means we can expect more features (I'll take them in any form, whether apps or new functionality or both) and (perhaps) more "bug-fixes".
Old 08-27-2014, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert Souse' View Post

I tried to download via my DVR+ and received the same message about not being able to download the update. It may just be a CM server issue. Did check the CM website and the version is 108R dated last June.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Don't shoot the messenger.
Didn't mean to shoot you. Sorry. I think I'm just getting frustrated with the DVR+ short comings.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:14 PM

Thanks for checking idoug

That's what I figured.
idoug likes this.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:33 PM

missed recording; CMs response

I talked with CM about my problem of having missed a recording that was setup as "record all occurrences". I mentioned that it had been working ok and that I had been watching in real-time the same show that should have been recorded. I mentioned when I examined the schedule page there were blanks for the date and time for the missed recording. Also the Guide page displayed Unknown Event for the missed show.

Here's CM's reply:
This would be caused by the guide as well. Once you solve the guide problem, that will solve this problem as well. Something is going on in your area that is causing the guide not to populate properly and that is why the show will not record.

CM's suggestion to solve this problem is for me to change the zip code in the DVR+ and rescan until I find a Guide that does not display Unknown Event. Specifically for me they suggested I try using the zip codes for San Jose, San Francisco and Oakland. I didn't find a Guide that was without an Unknown Event.

I asked if they could try and reproduce my problem by using my zip code and to see if they could see Unknown Event and they said they couldn't do that on the DVR that they had.

CM also mentioned if I couldn't find a guide that was error free (without Unknown Event) nothing could be done to solve the problem. I didn't find a guide without an Unknown Event.

So this means I can't do record all occurrences for TV programs that have Unknown Event. This is a reason NOT to buy the DVR+.

Last edited by noHatNoCattle; 08-28-2014 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Fix errors and omissions
Old 08-28-2014, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
I've also done a handful of totally manual recordings, i.e., set the channel, start time, and end time.
How do you do that? I briefly perused the documentation and strolled through the menus, and didn't see how to do it.

Then again "If it was any closer, it would have bit you" was something I often heard from my mother, growing up

Jim
Old 08-28-2014, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^^^ Updating over wireless has been problematic for many people. Some times it works and other times it doesn't. For a dependable update connection, run a hard patch cord between the DVR+ and the router for the update process or download it to a USB stick from the web site and do it that way.
Yup. That's what I did when ours was new. Somebody asserted they'd addressed that bug. Maybe so, but I'll stick to a hard-wired connection for updates.

On a side note: If we weren't so thin on finances atm, I'd be looking at powerline networking gear. I'm thoroughly disillusioned with WiFi. Particularly in conjunction with HT equipment.

Jim
Old 08-28-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
One of my TV shows (MasterChef) for which I had scheduled to record did not record. I know the show was on because I was watching it while it supposed to be recording. When I looked at the schedule page it showed blanks for the start stop times for my TV show. When I looked at the guide page for my TV show it showed "Unknown event" where my TV show was supposed to be. Other channels showed the expected TV show names. Anyone else having this issue of your TV show not being recorded due to "Unknown event" and how did you solve it?? Thanks.

noHatNoCattle
I came to this thread to see if anyone else is having this issue and indeed you and I are! Mine failed to record anything the past few days. I saw the schedule was empty and they all had the dashes on the next time to record. I killed all my timers and put them back in, it appeared to be fixed. The next day, it did the same exact thing. I did a factory reset and put everything back in. I doubt it will fix it. Even with that $15 a month fee, that new Tivo $49 OTA DVR is looking better and better with the constant issues with this box.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
How do you do that? I briefly perused the documentation and strolled through the menus, and didn't see how to do it.

Then again "If it was any closer, it would have bit you" was something I often heard from my mother, growing up

Jim
click Guide | select desired day/time/program | OK | create manual recording | select and change time, date, etc
Old 08-28-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
I came to this thread to see if anyone else is having this issue and indeed you and I are! Mine failed to record anything the past few days. I saw the schedule was empty and they all had the dashes on the next time to record. I killed all my timers and put them back in, it appeared to be fixed. The next day, it did the same exact thing. I did a factory reset and put everything back in. I doubt it will fix it. Even with that $15 a month fee, that new Tivo $49 OTA DVR is looking better and better with the constant issues with this box.
Dashes in the schedule ?? I seem to remember blanks. Are you having trouble with manual recordings or record all occurrences? From what I've seen on this website, manual recordings work ok. Did you see Unknown Event in the guide? Are you running version 108R (0.5) ??
Old 08-28-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Dashes in the schedule ?? I seem to remember blanks. Are you having trouble with manual recordings or record all occurrences? From what I've seen on this website, manual recordings work ok. Did you see Unknown Event in the guide?
Maybe it was blanks, I just know it didn't have dates like it was supposed to. I didn't see unknown event in the guide, it had the normal stuff in the guide. These were with the record all occurrences. I didn't buy this box for manual recordings, I bought it based on the named based recordings, it will promptly be returned if we are forced to use timers due to the WAF.

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart