123Likes

post #4591 of 4746 Old 08-28-2014, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
How do you do that? I briefly perused the documentation and strolled through the menus, and didn't see how to do it.

Then again "If it was any closer, it would have bit you" was something I often heard from my mother, growing up

Jim
click Guide | select desired day/time/program | OK | create manual recording | select and change time, date, etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 4746 Old 08-28-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
I came to this thread to see if anyone else is having this issue and indeed you and I are! Mine failed to record anything the past few days. I saw the schedule was empty and they all had the dashes on the next time to record. I killed all my timers and put them back in, it appeared to be fixed. The next day, it did the same exact thing. I did a factory reset and put everything back in. I doubt it will fix it. Even with that $15 a month fee, that new Tivo $49 OTA DVR is looking better and better with the constant issues with this box.
Dashes in the schedule ?? I seem to remember blanks. Are you having trouble with manual recordings or record all occurrences? From what I've seen on this website, manual recordings work ok. Did you see Unknown Event in the guide? Are you running version 108R (0.5) ??
post #4593 of 4746 Old 08-28-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by noHatNoCattle View Post
Dashes in the schedule ?? I seem to remember blanks. Are you having trouble with manual recordings or record all occurrences? From what I've seen on this website, manual recordings work ok. Did you see Unknown Event in the guide?
Maybe it was blanks, I just know it didn't have dates like it was supposed to. I didn't see unknown event in the guide, it had the normal stuff in the guide. These were with the record all occurrences. I didn't buy this box for manual recordings, I bought it based on the named based recordings, it will promptly be returned if we are forced to use timers due to the WAF.
post #4594 of 4746 Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
CM's suggestion to solve this problem is for me to change the zip code in the DVR+ and rescan until I find a Guide that does not display Unknown Event. Specifically for me they suggested I try using the zip codes for San Jose, San Francisco and Oakland. I didn't find a Guide that was without an Unknown Event.
Excuse me if you have already mentioned this in a previous post, but are you connected to the Internet and downloading the 2 week Rovi guide or are you depending on PSIP information. If Internet, are you connected via wire or wireless and is the guide updating regularly. Finally, for the channels that are showing "Unknown Event" in the guide -- are these the main HD channels or are these the minor SD sub-channels of the main channel. I ask this last question because spotty guide information for sub-channels (which can be largely regional) is common with Rovi -- that is the only reason I can think of that CM would tell you to try another ZIP code -- to see if that gives you better or more complete regional Rovi data.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4595 of 4746 Old 08-28-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Excuse me if you have already mentioned this in a previous post, but are you connected to the Internet and downloading the 2 week Rovi guide or are you depending on PSIP information. If Internet, are you connected via wire or wireless and is the guide updating regularly. Finally, for the channels that are showing "Unknown Event" in the guide -- are these the main HD channels or are these the minor SD sub-channels of the main channel. I ask this last question because spotty guide information for sub-channels (which can be largely regional) is common with Rovi -- that is the only reason I can think of that CM would tell you to try another ZIP code -- to see if that gives you better or more complete regional Rovi data.
I'm connected to the internet wirelessly and downloading the 2 week Rovi guide successfully. I have a external 1TB disk drive and firmware version 108R (0.5). CM mentioned I'm in a regional zone (Fremont CA near San Francisco CA). The stations that currently have Unknown Event are KTVU channel 2.1 (Oakland, Fox, starting at 8/29 2am in the guide) and KGO channel 7.2 (San Francisco, ABC, starting at 8/28 8am in the guide). Once Unknown Event occurs for a channel it continues all the way to the end of the guide for that channel. Would you consider 13 days worth to be spotty ?? How do you know the Rovi data is spotty? I'd be interested in seeing the Rovi data for my region to verify it's bad versus this being a bug in the DVR+. Do you know how I can get the Rovi data for my region?

Last edited by noHatNoCattle; 08-28-2014 at 07:23 AM.
post #4596 of 4746 Old 08-28-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 354
^^^ So 2.1 is the FOX HD channel and I would assume 7.2 is ABC's "Live Well" sub channel which they broadcast in HD along with 7.1 -- so these are not minor sub-channels.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. It could be the Rovi guide data or the DVR+ choking on the Rovi data it is getting for your region. I would be willing to bet one of the Internet channel guide websites uses Rovi data but I'm not sure which one. Someone else may know.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4597 of 4746 Old 08-28-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Maybe it was blanks, I just know it didn't have dates like it was supposed to. I didn't see unknown event in the guide, it had the normal stuff in the guide. These were with the record all occurrences. I didn't buy this box for manual recordings, I bought it based on the named based recordings, it will promptly be returned if we are forced to use timers due to the WAF.
WAF = ??? Wife Acceptance Factor???

Last edited by noHatNoCattle; 08-28-2014 at 12:01 PM.
post #4598 of 4746 Old 08-28-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
WAF = ??? We Are Failures ???
Wife Acceptance Factor. Meaning if it isn't working correctly as advertised, its either me or the DVR on the street in a million pieces.
post #4599 of 4746 Old 08-28-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Arrow

Quote:
I'm connected to the internet wirelessly and downloading the 2 week Rovi guide successfully. I have a external 1TB disk drive and firmware version 108R (0.5). CM mentioned I'm in a regional zone (Fremont CA near San Francisco CA). The stations that currently have Unknown Event are KTVU channel 2.1 (Oakland, Fox, starting at 8/29 2am in the guide) and KGO channel 7.2 (San Francisco, ABC, starting at 8/28 8am in the guide). Once Unknown Event occurs for a channel it continues all the way to the end of the guide for that channel. Would you consider 13 days worth to be spotty ?? How do you know the Rovi data is spotty? I'd be interested in seeing the Rovi data for my region to verify it's bad versus this being a bug in the DVR+. Do you know how I can get the Rovi data for my region?
I've been lurking this thread for a while... Hi.
Anyway, I believe this link will help you a lot: http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...-they-provide-

You can punch in your zip code and it will show you all the Rovi data for your area. Perhaps this will help you audit the problem further? With any luck, you'll be able to use it to quickly test multiple zip codes and hopefully find a solution?

I hope that helps.

Last edited by blakepro; 08-28-2014 at 03:13 PM.
post #4600 of 4746 Old 08-28-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
I've been lurking this thread for a while... Hi.
Anyway, I believe this link will help you a lot: http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...-they-provide-

You can punch in your zip code and it will show you all the Rovi data for your area. Perhaps this will help you audit the problem further? With any luck, you'll be able to use it to quickly test multiple zip codes and hopefully find a solution?

I hope that helps.
Thanks !! I'll try it.
post #4601 of 4746 Old 08-29-2014, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Got an odd thing going on during playback of recorded programs on ocassion. Every once in a while very quickly the enter pin number shows up it just flashes on screen it doesn't stop playback. I have not noticed yet if during playback that another recording might be starting that might trigger it makes no sense yet????? Any else possibly seeing this?
post #4602 of 4746 Old 08-29-2014, 05:38 AM

Was going to go with the DVR plus, but when I went to cancel my Tivo box (monthly, got it on a deal), they offered me lifetime at a very good price. Hope this (and any other OTA DVRs) do well though.

Just wanted to stop back and say thanks for all the info on the DVR plus. Thanks!
post #4603 of 4746 Old 08-29-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve771 View Post
Was going to go with the DVR plus, but when I went to cancel my Tivo box (monthly, got it on a deal), they offered me lifetime at a very good price.
What was that price?

post #4604 of 4746 Old 08-29-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Dashes in the schedule ?? I seem to remember blanks. Are you having trouble with manual recordings or record all occurrences? From what I've seen on this website, manual recordings work ok. Did you see Unknown Event in the guide? Are you running version 108R (0.5) ??
So three days in a row I've reset my schedules to find them all with no future dates in the schedule. The timers are all there but the dates are dashes. So weird. The past month the box has worked fine and just did its thing. I was about to pull the trigger and order 3 more for installs at friends/family members as I was the initial guinea pig. With this on going issue I definitely can't do that now.

I noticed on my router that normally the DVR will download about 1 megabyte a day, I'm guessing the guide data. It stopped downloading that 1 meg a day. It won't even do a software update check anymore. I've checked the network side of things and all is well, I can even browse the Vudu shows on the box with no issues so the network is fine. Sounds like their servers are having issues and in turn it zeros out my schedule. The weird thing is I scanned up about a week and had guide data for all my channels.
post #4605 of 4746 Old 08-29-2014, 01:32 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
So three days in a row I've reset my schedules to find them all with no future dates in the schedule. The timers are all there but the dates are dashes. So weird. The past month the box has worked fine and just did its thing. I was about to pull the trigger and order 3 more for installs at friends/family members as I was the initial guinea pig. With this on going issue I definitely can't do that now.

I noticed on my router that normally the DVR will download about 1 megabyte a day, I'm guessing the guide data. It stopped downloading that 1 meg a day. It won't even do a software update check anymore. I've checked the network side of things and all is well, I can even browse the Vudu shows on the box with no issues so the network is fine. Sounds like their servers are having issues and in turn it zeros out my schedule. The weird thing is I scanned up about a week and had guide data for all my channels.
This happened to me about a month ago. I power cycled the DVR and shortly after it rebooted all of my scheduled recordings repopulated correctly. I don't know what caused the problem, and fortunately I haven't seen it again.
post #4606 of 4746 Old 08-31-2014, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Thread rolled back to the most recent on-topic posts. Some posts have been deleted. The CM Flatenna discussion has been moved here: Channel Master FLATenna any good?
SEMIJim likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4607 of 4746 Old 08-31-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks !! I'll try it.
Please let us know how it turns out. I'm sure your results could help other people along the way.
post #4608 of 4746 Old 09-01-2014, 06:53 AM

Liked: 0
Hello Everyone,
Got the DVR+ at the end of April. Was having some issues with lag. Did the latest update. Did not cure it. Did a Factory reboot on it and that did the trick. Was happy with the performance until about 6 weeks ago when I noticed that my programs were not recording, So.... I did a second factory reboot. I re-setup the recordings from the guide and withing in a little while she was recording. All seemed fine until I got busy with life and did not watch OTA TV for about 3 weeks. I sat down to view what I had recorded and noticed that about a week into my hiatus nothing recorded for about 2 weeks. In reviewing the dates, it was clear after a certain date nothing recorded as I tape a show this on M-F and it had not recorded except for the first week of my absence. I opened the guide to see what shows were going to record and sure enough that same show shows its set to be recorded on the next day, yet it has not recorded in two weeks. Since I have Dish and I also record that show there, I knew it was broadcasted on it regular schedule. Also many of my usual shows were marked to record.

I then purposely let the DVR+ sit for 3 days to see if any of my shows recorded and to my dismay it recorded my shows for about the first 24 hours and then stopped recording and none of the other shows that I know should have recorded did. BTW I at least 20 to 30 different shows recording a day.

Something I notice in the past is that if I set up a recording and at a later date view the guide, I have often noticed that a show I know I have set to record does not show the red mark in the corner, so I go to the show and tell it to record and it tells me to UPDATE THE NAME. While that is not happening so much now, I am not sure if they are related.
This started before my warranty was up so if its hardware, I suspect it on me and I out of luck getting it fixed

Any suggestion or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
post #4609 of 4746 Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 130
return it and buy other, perhaps nor the K77
post #4610 of 4746 Old 09-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onnie0047 View Post
...Got the DVR+ at the end of April....This started before my warranty was up so if its hardware, I suspect it on me and I out of luck getting it fixed

Any suggestion or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
The Channel Master warranty on the DVR+ is 1 year parts and labor. Seeing that you bought it at the end of April, you still have about 8 months left on the warranty.

FYI if you purchased your DVR+ with a major credit card that includes free extended warranty protection on purchases (i.e. MasterCard World, VISA Signature, AMEX, Discover, etc.), you may have a second year FREE parts and labor warranty through your credit card. Check with your credit card provider for specific details/information.

Last edited by trp2525; 09-01-2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Additional warranty information added
post #4611 of 4746 Old 09-01-2014, 02:29 PM

Liked: 0
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp2525 View Post
The Channel Master warranty on the DVR+ is 1 year parts and labor. Seeing that you bought it at the end of April, you still have about 8 months left on the warranty.

FYI if you purchased your DVR+ with a major credit card that includes free extended warranty protection on purchases (i.e. MasterCard World, VISA Signature, AMEX, Discover, etc.), you may have a second year FREE parts and labor warranty through your credit card. Check with your credit card provider for specific details/information.
I though I had read 90 days when I checked, must have been in wrong area, thanks for the info ill contact them tomorrow and see what they can do!
post #4612 of 4746 Old 09-02-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakep_82 View Post
This happened to me about a month ago. I power cycled the DVR and shortly after it rebooted all of my scheduled recordings repopulated correctly. I don't know what caused the problem, and fortunately I haven't seen it again.
Tried this as well but nothing works. I spoke with CM's customer support and they stated to change the zip to closer one and do a rescan. I tried this and it still shows blanks the next morning for my recordings next scheduled date. All the guide data is there though. I've tried even changing the zip code to the exact zip the broadcasts towers are stationed at. Nothing. It zeros out the dates every morning. I'm tempted to just yank the network wire out of the back and hopefully it will pick up the guide data for the day via OTA. It's getting tiresome to have to reset my timers every day. Not the DVR experience one would expect. I've emailed the CM customer service back for the next step on getting this repaired but have not received a response yet.
post #4613 of 4746 Old 09-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Tried this as well but nothing works.
Did you try what blakepro suggested, here: Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread ?

Jim
post #4614 of 4746 Old 09-02-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Did you try what blakepro suggested, here: Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread ?

Jim
Yes, every zip I put in there checked out the same. Looks like I'm just lucky and have a screwed up box and/or market. I've tried 70802, 70818, 70809 and now 70739.
post #4615 of 4746 Old 09-05-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post
Is anyone else having problems with their DVR+ losing all stored channels? This happens for days after I rotate my antenna and has plagued me for two weeks after switching from the Fresno market to Sacramento.
It happened to me once. I heard from a friend that a new channel had come online. I scanned that particular frequency and found two new channels. They were added to the existing list and all seemed normal. Then the next time I tried to use the DVR+ the channels were ALL gone. Had to do a full rescan. Now I have to go back in again and get rid of all the foreign junk channels, which is quite a bit of work.
post #4616 of 4746 Old 09-06-2014, 12:54 PM

The DVR is going to enter inactivity standby.

While watching TV via the DVR+ the following message appeared on the TV screen:

The DVR is going to enter inactivity standby. [CONTINUE]

I clicked continue (the only option) and the TV picture cleared (displayed all blue) along with the message: No signal! and I noticed the light on the DVR+ box went to standby.Anyone else have this problem? Why did this occur ? Isn't my watching TV via the DVR+ considered an activity ?
post #4617 of 4746 Old 09-06-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 130
most likely you discovered another bug or the DVR's RAM is corrupted - how long it stay on without reboot ?
post #4618 of 4746 Old 09-07-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
While watching TV via the DVR+ the following message appeared on the TV screen:

The DVR is going to enter inactivity standby. [CONTINUE]

I clicked continue (the only option) and the TV picture cleared (displayed all blue) along with the message: No signal! and I noticed the light on the DVR+ box went to standby.Anyone else have this problem? Why did this occur ? Isn't my watching TV via the DVR+ considered an activity ?
That's the way the inactivity timer is supposed to work. Turns the unit to standby if no button pressed for 4 hours (or whatever you have it set for). The DVR+ of course has no way to know if you're actually watching its output or not. If you don't want this to happen, just turn off the inactivity timer or set it longer than the longest time you continuously watch TV.

If the DVR+ used significantly less power when in standby than when not, this might be a useful feature; as it is, no particularly good reason to have it turned on. I'm assuming that if/when it needs the second tuner to record a show, it will put up a warning and then switch that tuner to the channel to be recorded.
Chuck44 likes this.
post #4619 of 4746 Old 09-07-2014, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am on my second try with this unit - with CM wi-fi unit.
Worked when received including program update and guide update. Used an on the wall router near computer - two rooms away- signal strength showing red to yellow on DVR+. Worked for guide for 1 month and now guide is only 1 week.
Tonight I moved router into same room (no more internet on desk top computer in other room) and signal is now 'green'.
Will wait to see if guide updater tomorrow, assuming it happens once a day.
If it works here it does not speak well for the CM wireless. All other wi-fi units work fine many rooms away (and in same room as DVR+) before moving router. Direct wire is not an easy option. is there a reasonably priced booster I can use and keep my router in the other room?
I could live with moving router every week for a day (I will know tomorrow if it works) - but seems like a crummy solution for a new unit.
PS I have a MacPro with a live signal monitor that reads 'excellent' in every room
post #4620 of 4746 Old 09-07-2014, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I would suggest that you purchase a quality 'Bridge' with external antenna(s) which connects to the Ethernet connector. This will not only provide faster WiFi than USB, but much higher power out and sensitivity in. This was the solution for my two older BluRay players that did not have a built-in WiFi system. Works beautifully. Your DVR+ will see the 'Bridge' as a hard-wired Ethernet connection to your router. The only thing is that set-up is available only when you first connect it to a computer through the Ethernet connector (computer built-in WiFi turned OFF/Disabled) as set-up info./data must be entered by keyboard.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page