post #4591 of 4607 Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by noHatNoCattle View Post
CM's suggestion to solve this problem is for me to change the zip code in the DVR+ and rescan until I find a Guide that does not display Unknown Event. Specifically for me they suggested I try using the zip codes for San Jose, San Francisco and Oakland. I didn't find a Guide that was without an Unknown Event.
Excuse me if you have already mentioned this in a previous post, but are you connected to the Internet and downloading the 2 week Rovi guide or are you depending on PSIP information. If Internet, are you connected via wire or wireless and is the guide updating regularly. Finally, for the channels that are showing "Unknown Event" in the guide -- are these the main HD channels or are these the minor SD sub-channels of the main channel. I ask this last question because spotty guide information for sub-channels (which can be largely regional) is common with Rovi -- that is the only reason I can think of that CM would tell you to try another ZIP code -- to see if that gives you better or more complete regional Rovi data.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 4607 Old 08-28-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Excuse me if you have already mentioned this in a previous post, but are you connected to the Internet and downloading the 2 week Rovi guide or are you depending on PSIP information. If Internet, are you connected via wire or wireless and is the guide updating regularly. Finally, for the channels that are showing "Unknown Event" in the guide -- are these the main HD channels or are these the minor SD sub-channels of the main channel. I ask this last question because spotty guide information for sub-channels (which can be largely regional) is common with Rovi -- that is the only reason I can think of that CM would tell you to try another ZIP code -- to see if that gives you better or more complete regional Rovi data.
I'm connected to the internet wirelessly and downloading the 2 week Rovi guide successfully. I have a external 1TB disk drive and firmware version 108R (0.5). CM mentioned I'm in a regional zone (Fremont CA near San Francisco CA). The stations that currently have Unknown Event are KTVU channel 2.1 (Oakland, Fox, starting at 8/29 2am in the guide) and KGO channel 7.2 (San Francisco, ABC, starting at 8/28 8am in the guide). Once Unknown Event occurs for a channel it continues all the way to the end of the guide for that channel. Would you consider 13 days worth to be spotty ?? How do you know the Rovi data is spotty? I'd be interested in seeing the Rovi data for my region to verify it's bad versus this being a bug in the DVR+. Do you know how I can get the Rovi data for my region?

Last edited by noHatNoCattle; 08-28-2014 at 07:23 AM.
post #4593 of 4607 Old 08-28-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ So 2.1 is the FOX HD channel and I would assume 7.2 is ABC's "Live Well" sub channel which they broadcast in HD along with 7.1 -- so these are not minor sub-channels.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. It could be the Rovi guide data or the DVR+ choking on the Rovi data it is getting for your region. I would be willing to bet one of the Internet channel guide websites uses Rovi data but I'm not sure which one. Someone else may know.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4594 of 4607 Old 08-28-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
Maybe it was blanks, I just know it didn't have dates like it was supposed to. I didn't see unknown event in the guide, it had the normal stuff in the guide. These were with the record all occurrences. I didn't buy this box for manual recordings, I bought it based on the named based recordings, it will promptly be returned if we are forced to use timers due to the WAF.
WAF = ??? Wife Acceptance Factor???

Last edited by noHatNoCattle; 08-28-2014 at 12:01 PM.
post #4595 of 4607 Old 08-28-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
WAF = ??? We Are Failures ???
Wife Acceptance Factor. Meaning if it isn't working correctly as advertised, its either me or the DVR on the street in a million pieces.
post #4596 of 4607 Old 08-28-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Arrow

Quote:
I'm connected to the internet wirelessly and downloading the 2 week Rovi guide successfully. I have a external 1TB disk drive and firmware version 108R (0.5). CM mentioned I'm in a regional zone (Fremont CA near San Francisco CA). The stations that currently have Unknown Event are KTVU channel 2.1 (Oakland, Fox, starting at 8/29 2am in the guide) and KGO channel 7.2 (San Francisco, ABC, starting at 8/28 8am in the guide). Once Unknown Event occurs for a channel it continues all the way to the end of the guide for that channel. Would you consider 13 days worth to be spotty ?? How do you know the Rovi data is spotty? I'd be interested in seeing the Rovi data for my region to verify it's bad versus this being a bug in the DVR+. Do you know how I can get the Rovi data for my region?
I've been lurking this thread for a while... Hi.
Anyway, I believe this link will help you a lot: http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...-they-provide-

You can punch in your zip code and it will show you all the Rovi data for your area. Perhaps this will help you audit the problem further? With any luck, you'll be able to use it to quickly test multiple zip codes and hopefully find a solution?

I hope that helps.

Last edited by blakepro; 08-28-2014 at 03:13 PM.
post #4597 of 4607 Old 08-28-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
I've been lurking this thread for a while... Hi.
Anyway, I believe this link will help you a lot: http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...-they-provide-

You can punch in your zip code and it will show you all the Rovi data for your area. Perhaps this will help you audit the problem further? With any luck, you'll be able to use it to quickly test multiple zip codes and hopefully find a solution?

I hope that helps.
Thanks !! I'll try it.
post #4598 of 4607 Old Yesterday, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Got an odd thing going on during playback of recorded programs on ocassion. Every once in a while very quickly the enter pin number shows up it just flashes on screen it doesn't stop playback. I have not noticed yet if during playback that another recording might be starting that might trigger it makes no sense yet????? Any else possibly seeing this?
post #4599 of 4607 Old Yesterday, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was going to go with the DVR plus, but when I went to cancel my Tivo box (monthly, got it on a deal), they offered me lifetime at a very good price. Hope this (and any other OTA DVRs) do well though.

Just wanted to stop back and say thanks for all the info on the DVR plus. Thanks!
post #4600 of 4607 Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve771 View Post
Was going to go with the DVR plus, but when I went to cancel my Tivo box (monthly, got it on a deal), they offered me lifetime at a very good price.
What was that price?

post #4601 of 4607 Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Dashes in the schedule ?? I seem to remember blanks. Are you having trouble with manual recordings or record all occurrences? From what I've seen on this website, manual recordings work ok. Did you see Unknown Event in the guide? Are you running version 108R (0.5) ??
So three days in a row I've reset my schedules to find them all with no future dates in the schedule. The timers are all there but the dates are dashes. So weird. The past month the box has worked fine and just did its thing. I was about to pull the trigger and order 3 more for installs at friends/family members as I was the initial guinea pig. With this on going issue I definitely can't do that now.

I noticed on my router that normally the DVR will download about 1 megabyte a day, I'm guessing the guide data. It stopped downloading that 1 meg a day. It won't even do a software update check anymore. I've checked the network side of things and all is well, I can even browse the Vudu shows on the box with no issues so the network is fine. Sounds like their servers are having issues and in turn it zeros out my schedule. The weird thing is I scanned up about a week and had guide data for all my channels.
post #4602 of 4607 Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
So three days in a row I've reset my schedules to find them all with no future dates in the schedule. The timers are all there but the dates are dashes. So weird. The past month the box has worked fine and just did its thing. I was about to pull the trigger and order 3 more for installs at friends/family members as I was the initial guinea pig. With this on going issue I definitely can't do that now.

I noticed on my router that normally the DVR will download about 1 megabyte a day, I'm guessing the guide data. It stopped downloading that 1 meg a day. It won't even do a software update check anymore. I've checked the network side of things and all is well, I can even browse the Vudu shows on the box with no issues so the network is fine. Sounds like their servers are having issues and in turn it zeros out my schedule. The weird thing is I scanned up about a week and had guide data for all my channels.
This happened to me about a month ago. I power cycled the DVR and shortly after it rebooted all of my scheduled recordings repopulated correctly. I don't know what caused the problem, and fortunately I haven't seen it again.
post #4603 of 4607 Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
FLATenna offer from CM

Three days ago I received an e-mail signed, "Your devoted servant in consumer TV Freedom, - Channel Master."

The message offered a "FLATenna . . . online for just $10. And free shipping." My devoted servant goes on to say, "It performs just like all the other 13" flat antennas that sell for $35 or more."

I've been using a $10 Radio Shack rabbit ears antenna on top of an old armoire converted into a TV cabinet. That antenna works pretty well, especially for the PBS stations constituting 99.44% of our TV recording. We live in the East Bay in the line of sight of the Monster Sutro Tower 14 miles across the bay in San Francisco. (Yes, we shook dramatically in our bed during Sunday morning's Napa area earthquake.) The only time we have any signal breakup is in the winter when the bay becomes choppy.

I thought I'd have seen some discussion here about the FLATenna offer from CM by now.

Is it a good switch from the old rabbit ears antenna? A good deal?

Thanks,
DawnSun

DawnSun
post #4604 of 4607 Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSun View Post
I thought I'd have seen some discussion here about the FLATenna offer from CM by now.

All these indoor antennas are situational -- meaning that no matter how good the advertising literature makes it sound or how wonderful another poster says it is in his setup, you have to buy one and try it to find out if it will work for you where you want to put it. There are just too many varied factors with indoor antenna reception to make any blanket statements or recommendations.
SEMIJim and Chuck44 like this.

- kelson h

post #4605 of 4607 Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Three days ago I received an e-mail signed, "Your devoted servant in consumer TV Freedom, - Channel Master."

The message offered a "FLATenna . . . online for just $10. And free shipping." My devoted servant goes on to say, "It performs just like all the other 13" flat antennas that sell for $35 or more."

I've been using a $10 Radio Shack rabbit ears antenna on top of an old armoire converted into a TV cabinet. That antenna works pretty well, especially for the PBS stations constituting 99.44% of our TV recording. We live in the East Bay in the line of sight of the Monster Sutro Tower 14 miles across the bay in San Francisco. (Yes, we shook dramatically in our bed during Sunday morning's Napa area earthquake.) The only time we have any signal breakup is in the winter when the bay becomes choppy.

Thanks,
DawnSun
I bought one for about $35 from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. It was supposedly multi-directional but it wasn't. It didn't receive some of my desired high power stations at 35 miles away. I returned it. But at only $10 and if I was experimenting I'd try it.
post #4606 of 4607 Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Rabbit ears work fairly well, especially if you're close to the transmitter. I've found a home-built antenna to be far more effective (and far cheaper) than any storebought antenna, now that it's no longer necessary to worry about the low VHF channels in most markets (RF 2-6) which used to require antenna elements in excess of 3' in length.
post #4607 of 4607 Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
A friend bought one. It arrived damaged, in a lightweight bubble envelope, and CM refused to replace it, saying the damage would not affect the performance. The damage consisted of multiple creases where it look like, in shipment, that it was repeatedly crushed with something like the sharp edge of a can of pees.

He is located about 25 miles from the transmission towers, all of which are grouped within a few degrees of each other, and the FLATenna barely received any signals, and what it did was for only a couple of seconds. The terrain between his house and the transmission towers is flat and low in elevation, with few trees, and much of it over marsh and open water, so there is very little to interfere with the signals.

His one VHF channel, which is his strongest channel with almost no trouble, would not come in at all. An amplifier helped very little on some of the UHF channels, but not at all for the VHF channel.

He too was under the impression that it was multi-directional, but he says the only way it picked up a signal was when the face of the antenna was 90 degrees to the line of sight of the transmission towers, and that was very delicate.

The real telling thing is that an antique Rabbit Ear antenna works very well for him, but he thought the CM antenna would be more appealing. Even if the antenna worked perfectly, the damage robs it of it’s sexiness.

His recommendation is to not waste your money, especially since CM did not support the product that they packed quite poorly.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page