post #4591 of 4597 Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by noHatNoCattle View Post
CM's suggestion to solve this problem is for me to change the zip code in the DVR+ and rescan until I find a Guide that does not display Unknown Event. Specifically for me they suggested I try using the zip codes for San Jose, San Francisco and Oakland. I didn't find a Guide that was without an Unknown Event.
Excuse me if you have already mentioned this in a previous post, but are you connected to the Internet and downloading the 2 week Rovi guide or are you depending on PSIP information. If Internet, are you connected via wire or wireless and is the guide updating regularly. Finally, for the channels that are showing "Unknown Event" in the guide -- are these the main HD channels or are these the minor SD sub-channels of the main channel. I ask this last question because spotty guide information for sub-channels (which can be largely regional) is common with Rovi -- that is the only reason I can think of that CM would tell you to try another ZIP code -- to see if that gives you better or more complete regional Rovi data.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 4597 Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Excuse me if you have already mentioned this in a previous post, but are you connected to the Internet and downloading the 2 week Rovi guide or are you depending on PSIP information. If Internet, are you connected via wire or wireless and is the guide updating regularly. Finally, for the channels that are showing "Unknown Event" in the guide -- are these the main HD channels or are these the minor SD sub-channels of the main channel. I ask this last question because spotty guide information for sub-channels (which can be largely regional) is common with Rovi -- that is the only reason I can think of that CM would tell you to try another ZIP code -- to see if that gives you better or more complete regional Rovi data.
I'm connected to the internet wirelessly and downloading the 2 week Rovi guide successfully. I have a external 1TB disk drive and firmware version 108R (0.5). CM mentioned I'm in a regional zone (Fremont CA near San Francisco CA). The stations that currently have Unknown Event are KTVU channel 2.1 (Oakland, Fox, starting at 8/29 2am in the guide) and KGO channel 7.2 (San Francisco, ABC, starting at 8/28 8am in the guide). Once Unknown Event occurs for a channel it continues all the way to the end of the guide for that channel. Would you consider 13 days worth to be spotty ?? How do you know the Rovi data is spotty? I'd be interested in seeing the Rovi data for my region to verify it's bad versus this being a bug in the DVR+. Do you know how I can get the Rovi data for my region?

Last edited by noHatNoCattle; Yesterday at 07:23 AM.
post #4593 of 4597 Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 334
^^^ So 2.1 is the FOX HD channel and I would assume 7.2 is ABC's "Live Well" sub channel which they broadcast in HD along with 7.1 -- so these are not minor sub-channels.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. It could be the Rovi guide data or the DVR+ choking on the Rovi data it is getting for your region. I would be willing to bet one of the Internet channel guide websites uses Rovi data but I'm not sure which one. Someone else may know.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4594 of 4597 Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
Maybe it was blanks, I just know it didn't have dates like it was supposed to. I didn't see unknown event in the guide, it had the normal stuff in the guide. These were with the record all occurrences. I didn't buy this box for manual recordings, I bought it based on the named based recordings, it will promptly be returned if we are forced to use timers due to the WAF.
WAF = ??? Wife Acceptance Factor???

Last edited by noHatNoCattle; Yesterday at 12:01 PM.
post #4595 of 4597 Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
WAF = ??? We Are Failures ???
Wife Acceptance Factor. Meaning if it isn't working correctly as advertised, its either me or the DVR on the street in a million pieces.
post #4596 of 4597 Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Arrow

Quote:
I'm connected to the internet wirelessly and downloading the 2 week Rovi guide successfully. I have a external 1TB disk drive and firmware version 108R (0.5). CM mentioned I'm in a regional zone (Fremont CA near San Francisco CA). The stations that currently have Unknown Event are KTVU channel 2.1 (Oakland, Fox, starting at 8/29 2am in the guide) and KGO channel 7.2 (San Francisco, ABC, starting at 8/28 8am in the guide). Once Unknown Event occurs for a channel it continues all the way to the end of the guide for that channel. Would you consider 13 days worth to be spotty ?? How do you know the Rovi data is spotty? I'd be interested in seeing the Rovi data for my region to verify it's bad versus this being a bug in the DVR+. Do you know how I can get the Rovi data for my region?
I've been lurking this thread for a while... Hi.
Anyway, I believe this link will help you a lot: http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...-they-provide-

You can punch in your zip code and it will show you all the Rovi data for your area. Perhaps this will help you audit the problem further? With any luck, you'll be able to use it to quickly test multiple zip codes and hopefully find a solution?

I hope that helps.

Last edited by blakepro; Yesterday at 03:13 PM.
post #4597 of 4597 Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
I've been lurking this thread for a while... Hi.
Anyway, I believe this link will help you a lot: http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...-they-provide-

You can punch in your zip code and it will show you all the Rovi data for your area. Perhaps this will help you audit the problem further? With any luck, you'll be able to use it to quickly test multiple zip codes and hopefully find a solution?

I hope that helps.
Thanks !! I'll try it.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page