Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 156 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 842Likes

post #4651 of 7729 Old 09-12-2014, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Ay-ay-ay! I don't know what to believe! From what I've read, it seems Seagate's the only brand approved by CM. And yet, some users swear by the WD My Passport. I may try my years-old WD My Book first. Anyway, I've ordered my DVR+ from Amazon. If the Wi-Fi adapter fails, I'll have to go with a nice, long Ethernet cord, and mourn the loss of $40. I hope you'll solve your issues. Thanks.
If I were you, I'd give the WD a try before biting the Bullet for a Seagate Drive (although I think the Seagate might be cheaper on Amazon). I too like the Passport Ultra, in fact have another one hooked up to my Laptop and it works perfectly there. WD is also a NOT constantly running Drive as I understand the Seagates are. WD is supposed to start back up (from sleeping) in 10-15 seconds I think. Good Luck!

On my Wi-Fi problem, it was me (but CM can take a piece of it) who caused the problem. Their Keyboard defaults to UPPER Case, and I did not catch that. Pretty hard to miss, but I did. However, there was no message telling me the Password was the reason for failure to Connect. The message just says it "Could not Connect ..." & then just got tossed back to a cleared out Keyboard Screen. I did not catch it. I only mildly suspected something was amiss with the PW. I might say, though, that CM does not burden you with excessive alerts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 7729 Old 09-12-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydSoCal View Post
If I were you, I'd give the WD a try before biting the Bullet for a Seagate Drive (although I think the Seagate might be cheaper on Amazon). I too like the Passport Ultra, in fact have another one hooked up to my Laptop and it works perfectly there. WD is also a NOT constantly running Drive as I understand the Seagates are. WD is supposed to start back up (from sleeping) in 10-15 seconds I think. Good Luck!
Totally agree about giving an existing drive a try. Nothing to lose there.

The point about the Seagate drive continuously spinning is correct. However, the Seagate Dashboard software can be used to set the power-down time. It's freely available from the Seagate web site. I've got my Seagate set to power down after 10 minutes of non-use.
post #4653 of 7729 Old 09-12-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post

The point about the Seagate drive continuously spinning is correct. However, the Seagate Dashboard software can be used to set the power-down time. It's freely available from the Seagate web site. I've got my Seagate set to power down after 10 minutes of non-use.
Thanks for the Seagate tip. Your 10 minutes looks excellent. The DVR+ is set (by default) to 4 hours before power down. There is one possibility less than 4 Hours but the rest are longer than 4 Hours I think. I didn't know you could monkey with the Drive after the DVR+ reformatted it into Linux.
post #4654 of 7729 Old 09-12-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the Seagate tip. Your 10 minutes looks excellent. The DVR+ is set (by default) to 4 hours before power down. There is one possibility less than 4 Hours but the rest are longer than 4 Hours I think. I didn't know you could monkey with the Drive after the DVR+ reformatted it into Linux.
I don't know all the ins and outs of hard drives, but from what I do know, such functionality is irrelevant to the formatting, if any. The drive itself is controlling the power-down, not the computer or operating system. And yes, my setting of the power-down on the Seagate was done after the DVR+ formatted the drive. Didn't lose any recordings or DVR+ settings in the process.

The 4-hour power-down you're referring to is a function of the DVR+ and affects the DVR+ only. This is independent of the hard drive power-down.
post #4655 of 7729 Old 09-12-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I don't know all the ins and outs of hard drives, but from what I do know, such functionality is irrelevant to the formatting, if any. The drive itself is controlling the power-down, not the computer or operating system. And yes, my setting of the power-down on the Seagate was done after the DVR+ formatted the drive. Didn't lose any recordings or DVR+ settings in the process.

The 4-hour power-down you're referring to is a function of the DVR+ and affects the DVR+ only. This is independent of the hard drive power-down.
Thanks, big time, for squaring me away. Lloyd
post #4656 of 7729 Old 09-12-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Led power light

Quote:

With the Seagate Dashboard software you can also turn the LED light off, so need for the black tape.
post #4657 of 7729 Old 09-13-2014, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Yeah. They had a deal going for a while that got you either a free WiFi dongle or free shipping.

You can do that. Personally: I'd first get a short USB extension cable and see if relocating CM's WiFi dongle will fix the problem. Then I'd try a wireless bridge. Only after all that failed would I run wire.

You can get all the (different) cables you want at Monoprice, btw.

Jim
Thanks. Hopefully, at least, the adapter won't be defective. My TV is quite close to my router, so distance shouldn't be a problem.

Joe

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
post #4658 of 7729 Old 09-13-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks! My concern now is that, with the oversized plugs they use, I won't find an electrical outlet for my old WD My Book! (The strip has 2 free ones, but it's a tight squeeze.) For that reason, I'm inclined to buy a 1TB My Passport Ultra, which is USB-powered. I hope that WD's claim that their AV version of the drive is the better choice is just nonsense, as it is more expensive.
LloydSoCal likes this.

post #4659 of 7729 Old 09-13-2014, 06:46 AM

Can I Set Chapter Markers?

On both of my old DVRs (Panasonic SD, Sony HD), I can set multiple markers that allow easy access to various points in a recording. If the DVR+ lacks this ability, then I STRONGLY urge Channel Master (or E*) to add it. I'm spoiled by that convenience, and it would be great not to have to lose it. Thanks for listening!

In fact, I wish the folks at CM would closely study the functionality of Panasonic's DMR-EH50 and combine its best features with the best of DVR+. That was a beautifully designed DVR! If only I could turn it into HD! Yes, both of the old units still work, although the Panny's DVD recorder is broken; and the Sony has gone insane.

Last edited by SirCrow; 09-14-2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: specificity
post #4660 of 7729 Old 09-13-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 152
CM will do nothing, because it's a e* product.
post #4661 of 7729 Old 09-13-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks! My concern now is that, with the oversized plugs they use, I won't find an electrical outlet for my old WD My Book! (The strip has 2 free ones, but it's a tight squeeze.) For that reason, I'm inclined to buy a 1TB My Passport Ultra, which is USB-powered. I hope that WD's claim that their AV version of the drive is the better choice is just nonsense, as it is more expensive.
The Hard Drive + DVR+ both have oversized Plugs. If you have room, you can do what I did: use one of the Power Strip "Slots" to connect a second Power Strip. It's bulky, but does the job and still preserves the Protections of the original Power Strip (surge, etc.). Not elegant, but it works. So, you can go either way. Lloyd
post #4662 of 7729 Old 09-13-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Thanks! My concern now is that, with the oversized plugs they use, I won't find an electrical outlet for my old WD My Book! (The strip has 2 free ones, but it's a tight squeeze.)
You can go to Amazon.com and buy a 5-pack of AC extenders. These are nothing more than 12" extension cables that get the over-sized power warts away from the surge protector plug and allow you to utilize all the sockets on the strip. I use them where needed and have not had any problems.
wizwor and SirCrow like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4663 of 7729 Old 09-13-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
In fact, I wish the folks at CM would closely study the functionality of Panasonic's DMR-EH50 and combine its best features with the best of DVR+. That was a beautifully designed DVR! If only I could turn it into HD!
The two units are designed for completely different purposes. The primary purpose of the DMR EH50 is to record source for creating and burn DVD-R. The primary purpose of the DVR+ is to facilitate the viewing of HDTV.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4664 of 7729 Old 09-13-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
On both of my old DVRs (Panasonic SD, Sony HD), I can set markers that allow easy access to any point in a recording. If the DVR+ lacks this ability, then I STRONGLY urge Channel Master to add it. I'm spoiled by that convenience, and it would be great not to have to lose it. Thanks for listening!

In fact, I wish the folks at CM would closely study the functionality of Panasonic's DMR-EH50 and combine its best features with the best of DVR+. That was a beautifully designed DVR! If only I could turn it into HD! Yes, both of the old units still work, although the Panny's DVD recorder is broken; and the Sony has gone insane.
As a long-time Panasonic DVD Recorder user myself, I know the markers you're talking about. No, the DVR+ won't let you set markers like the Panasonic units did. But the DVR+ does remember where in the recording you last pressed the Stop button. When you select that recording again, there's a Resume Playback option. Select that to pick up where you left off. The DVR+ has only one "marker" per recording, unlike the Panasonic. But it beats the heck out of having no such resume function.

Last edited by Arenal04; 09-13-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Fix spelling.
post #4665 of 7729 Old 09-13-2014, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
I disagree. Have you any proof at all that CM does not drive the requirements for the product?
post #4666 of 7729 Old 09-13-2014, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Has any one reviewed the Channel Master DVR+ with internal 1TB HDD? Does it have the exact same operation as what this thread is discussing? I just saw these at Best Buy's site, and CNET has got a little blurb about it.

I have been running a couple of DTVPals since they came out and have been rooting around lately to see if there was anything else out there just in case one of my Pals go down.

Anyhoo, I just bought one of these and should get it sometime next week. My Best Buy credit card has been at zero balance for a couple of years and this was kind of a knee jerk purchase. I guess I should get to reading this thread and seeing what this thing is all about.
post #4667 of 7729 Old 09-13-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTheBetter View Post
Has any one reviewed the Channel Master DVR+ with internal 1TB HDD? Does it have the exact same operation as what this thread is discussing? I just saw these at Best Buy's site, and CNET has got a little blurb about it.

I have been running a couple of DTVPals since they came out and have been rooting around lately to see if there was anything else out there just in case one of my Pals go down.

Anyhoo, I just bought one of these and should get it sometime next week. My Best Buy credit card has been at zero balance for a couple of years and this was kind of a knee jerk purchase. I guess I should get to reading this thread and seeing what this thing is all about.
What did you have to pay for it?
post #4668 of 7729 Old 09-13-2014, 05:41 PM

Hey Chuck44, what's up. I paid $399.00. It is kind of steep, but hopefully it has matured to the point where it is stable. I hope I am as happy with it as I have been with the DTVPal.
post #4669 of 7729 Old 09-13-2014, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTheBetter View Post

Hopefully the Rovi guide works for you. I would be interested to hear your results. Another member in the Webbers Falls area had problems with getting correct Rovi guide data with the early DVR+ and external drive before the last few firmware updates. He was getting channels from both Tulsa and Ft Smith though, but the guide was screwed up and I don't know if we ever determined if it was getting guide info from Rovi or not.

I have 3 Pals that are still working fine, since I talked to the engineers at some of the local stations and got ktul, kotv, and kqcw to extend their guide data to 72 - 84hrs. kjrh is tolerable with 36hrs. If I could only get Cox to extend the data on koki and kmyt to more than 12hrs, I would be happy. I talked with kwhb a few weeks ago about getting them to sort their psip data out. I see Cozi on 47.2 finally has correct data.
post #4670 of 7729 Old 09-14-2014, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_ View Post
I disagree. Have you any proof at all that CM does not drive the requirements for the product?
Disagree? On what ?
- is it e* product ?
- only e* can do changes in FW of the model ?
- CM "could" pass our "moaning" to them and nothing else ? (well, they are posting new FW on their web, right, yeah)
- our cry for new features or small changes like "wrap" of lists in menu never been heard by e*?

Do you have opposite facts ?
post #4671 of 7729 Old 09-14-2014, 02:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Just buy a set of these short 12" extension cords, and all your worries will be solved.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

post #4672 of 7729 Old 09-14-2014, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Disagree? On what ?
- is it e* product ?
- only e* can do changes in FW of the model ?
- CM "could" pass our "moaning" to them and nothing else ? (well, they are posting new FW on their web, right, yeah)
- our cry for new features or small changes like "wrap" of lists in menu never been heard by e*?

Do you have opposite facts ?
My original statement is self-explanatory and is based on logic and common sense.
post #4673 of 7729 Old 09-14-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

well, I'm did post my points ...
post #4674 of 7729 Old 09-14-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
As a long-time Panasonic DVD Recorder user myself, I know the markers you're talking about. No, the DVR+ won't let you set markers like the Panasonic units did. But the DVR+ does remember where in the recording you last pressed the Stop button. When you select that recording again, there's a Resume Playback option. Select that to pick up where you left off. The DVR+ has only one "marker" per recording, unlike the Panasonic. But it beats the heck out of having no such resume function.
Adding markers would be such a simple thing for them to add you have to wonder if they do not include this functionality because it would allow people to mark commercials and then skip over them entirely and fear litigation from the broadcasters?
post #4675 of 7729 Old 09-14-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1991 View Post
Hopefully the Rovi guide works for you. I would be interested to hear your results. Another member in the Webbers Falls area had problems with getting correct Rovi guide data with the early DVR+ and external drive before the last few firmware updates. He was getting channels from both Tulsa and Ft Smith though, but the guide was screwed up and I don't know if we ever determined if it was getting guide info from Rovi or not.
I have been out of the loop and had to google ROVI to refresh my memory. PSIP and TVGOS were the only terms I have known for about six years. For a while(a few weeks), I will probably not have the DVR+ connected to the internet. I want to see how it handles pure PSIP data, but I will definitely report my findings on ROVI when I get the wifi dongle. I haven't had an electronic toy to play with in a while. This should be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1991 View Post
I have 3 Pals that are still working fine, since I talked to the engineers at some of the local stations and got ktul, kotv, and kqcw to extend their guide data to 72 - 84hrs. kjrh is tolerable with 36hrs. If I could only get Cox to extend the data on koki and kmyt to more than 12hrs, I would be happy. I talked with kwhb a few weeks ago about getting them to sort their psip data out. I see Cozi on 47.2 finally has correct data.
I appreciate your work getting the PSIP information extended. It is definitely noticed. More is always better, but it annoys me when I check the prime time schedule before I go to work and some of the channels are not populated. Fifteen hours would cover that.
post #4676 of 7729 Old 09-14-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, I've read that; I just wasn't sure how all that business works. Thanks.

post #4677 of 7729 Old 09-14-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
...the DVR+ does remember where in the recording you last pressed the Stop button. When you select that recording again, there's a Resume Playback option. Select that to pick up where you left off.
That's good, but having multiple markers would be SO MUCH better, especially for looong recordings. If you can't imagine why this would be so convenient, then you surely haven't been spoiled by such a lovely feature, as I have. I admit it, I'm a....a....I can't think of the word, but it's probably not a good one.

post #4678 of 7729 Old 09-14-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
... If you have room, you can do what I did: use one of the Power Strip "Slots" to connect a second Power Strip. It's bulky, but does the job and still preserves the Protections of the original Power Strip (surge, etc.)... Lloyd
Yeah, I'm sure I've done that doubling up of the outlet strips in the past. I'm hoping to avoid that this time. Actually, once I have the DVR+'s two tuners, I can unplug my old Samsung HD tuner and probably have enough room.

Thanks.

post #4679 of 7729 Old 09-14-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
The two units are designed for completely different purposes. The primary purpose of the DMR EH50 is to record source for creating and burn DVD-R. The primary purpose of the DVR+ is to facilitate the viewing of HDTV.
Probably not true. The DMR-EH50 also allows pausing live TV; you just need to press Rec first. Ancient by today's standards, I know. It was a HDD DVR which had a DVD recorder for those progs. that one wished to save. As for the DVR+, it allows viewing and recording of HDTV. Plus, lots of folks end up keeping many recordings indefinitely. How nice would it be if one could edit out the ads to free up space? Plus, too many other conveniences to mention about the DMR-EH50.

post #4680 of 7729 Old 09-14-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post
Just buy a set of these short 12" extension cords, and all your worries will be solved.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

That's one way to go. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page