Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 156 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4651 of 9480 Old 09-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
A minor quibble... It would be nice when navigating through the DVR+ menus, if one could scroll up to get quickly to the bottom, and vice versa, scroll down to reach the top of a list. The TV does that, and imagine that CM will get this in a future update...
Yes! Thanks for mentioning that. I kept telling Hulu+ to make the Roku's interface behave in a similar way, and after a long, long while, they finally fixed it...more or less (but made a bunch of other things worse). The up to jump down & down to jump up action should definitely be standard today, in all kinds of devices. Please get on it, CM.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
SirCrow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4652 of 9480 Old 09-12-2014, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
SEMIJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: S.E. Michgan
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Free? Free?! I just paid $40 for that little piece of $#|%!
Yeah. They had a deal going for a while that got you either a free WiFi dongle or free shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
And another $50 if I want the wireless bridge? Forget it. I'll find a cheap Ethernet cord and run it along the wall and stuff.
You can do that. Personally: I'd first get a short USB extension cable and see if relocating CM's WiFi dongle will fix the problem. Then I'd try a wireless bridge. Only after all that failed would I run wire.

You can get all the (different) cables you want at Monoprice, btw.

Jim
SEMIJim is offline  
post #4653 of 9480 Old 09-12-2014, 06:40 AM
Senior Member
 
bernieoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Walmart has a 6' USB extension for under $5
I got my signal to go from red to yellow to light green by playing with the extension.
What helped is my Macpro laptop that has a live display of wifi signal quality and strength.
You can move it around and see the signal vary -real time.
It also helps with your router placement - I was able to improve by moving router up 3' on the wall.
To use your Mac laptop you can search for setup - it is different for software levels.
My guide update and connection status has been solid since the change of locations
pachinko likes this.
bernieoc is offline  
post #4654 of 9480 Old 09-12-2014, 01:07 PM
Member
 
LloydSoCal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Ay-ay-ay! I don't know what to believe! From what I've read, it seems Seagate's the only brand approved by CM. And yet, some users swear by the WD My Passport. I may try my years-old WD My Book first. Anyway, I've ordered my DVR+ from Amazon. If the Wi-Fi adapter fails, I'll have to go with a nice, long Ethernet cord, and mourn the loss of $40. I hope you'll solve your issues. Thanks.
If I were you, I'd give the WD a try before biting the Bullet for a Seagate Drive (although I think the Seagate might be cheaper on Amazon). I too like the Passport Ultra, in fact have another one hooked up to my Laptop and it works perfectly there. WD is also a NOT constantly running Drive as I understand the Seagates are. WD is supposed to start back up (from sleeping) in 10-15 seconds I think. Good Luck!


On my Wi-Fi problem, it was me (but CM can take a piece of it) who caused the problem. Their Keyboard defaults to UPPER Case, and I did not catch that. Pretty hard to miss, but I did. However, there was no message telling me the Password was the reason for failure to Connect. The message just says it "Could not Connect ..." & then just got tossed back to a cleared out Keyboard Screen. I did not catch it. I only mildly suspected something was amiss with the PW. I might say, though, that CM does not burden you with excessive alerts.
LloydSoCal is offline  
post #4655 of 9480 Old 09-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Member
 
Arenal04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydSoCal View Post
If I were you, I'd give the WD a try before biting the Bullet for a Seagate Drive (although I think the Seagate might be cheaper on Amazon). I too like the Passport Ultra, in fact have another one hooked up to my Laptop and it works perfectly there. WD is also a NOT constantly running Drive as I understand the Seagates are. WD is supposed to start back up (from sleeping) in 10-15 seconds I think. Good Luck!
Totally agree about giving an existing drive a try. Nothing to lose there.

The point about the Seagate drive continuously spinning is correct. However, the Seagate Dashboard software can be used to set the power-down time. It's freely available from the Seagate web site. I've got my Seagate set to power down after 10 minutes of non-use.
Arenal04 is offline  
post #4656 of 9480 Old 09-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Member
 
LloydSoCal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
Totally agree about giving an existing drive a try. Nothing to lose there.

The point about the Seagate drive continuously spinning is correct. However, the Seagate Dashboard software can be used to set the power-down time. It's freely available from the Seagate web site. I've got my Seagate set to power down after 10 minutes of non-use.
Thanks for the Seagate tip. Your 10 minutes looks excellent. The DVR+ is set (by default) to 4 hours before power down. There is one possibility less than 4 Hours but the rest are longer than 4 Hours I think. I didn't know you could monkey with the Drive after the DVR+ reformatted it into Linux.
LloydSoCal is offline  
post #4657 of 9480 Old 09-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Member
 
Arenal04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydSoCal View Post
Thanks for the Seagate tip. Your 10 minutes looks excellent. The DVR+ is set (by default) to 4 hours before power down. There is one possibility less than 4 Hours but the rest are longer than 4 Hours I think. I didn't know you could monkey with the Drive after the DVR+ reformatted it into Linux.
I don't know all the ins and outs of hard drives, but from what I do know, such functionality is irrelevant to the formatting, if any. The drive itself is controlling the power-down, not the computer or operating system. And yes, my setting of the power-down on the Seagate was done after the DVR+ formatted the drive. Didn't lose any recordings or DVR+ settings in the process.

The 4-hour power-down you're referring to is a function of the DVR+ and affects the DVR+ only. This is independent of the hard drive power-down.
Arenal04 is offline  
post #4658 of 9480 Old 09-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Member
 
LloydSoCal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
I don't know all the ins and outs of hard drives, but from what I do know, such functionality is irrelevant to the formatting, if any. The drive itself is controlling the power-down, not the computer or operating system. And yes, my setting of the power-down on the Seagate was done after the DVR+ formatted the drive. Didn't lose any recordings or DVR+ settings in the process.

The 4-hour power-down you're referring to is a function of the DVR+ and affects the DVR+ only. This is independent of the hard drive power-down.
Thanks, big time, for squaring me away. Lloyd
LloydSoCal is offline  
post #4659 of 9480 Old 09-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Member
 
MKS13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Led power light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
Totally agree about giving an existing drive a try. Nothing to lose there.

The point about the Seagate drive continuously spinning is correct. However, the Seagate Dashboard software can be used to set the power-down time. It's freely available from the Seagate web site. I've got my Seagate set to power down after 10 minutes of non-use.
With the Seagate Dashboard software you can also turn the LED light off, so need for the black tape.
MKS13 is offline  
post #4660 of 9480 Old 09-13-2014, 04:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Yeah. They had a deal going for a while that got you either a free WiFi dongle or free shipping.


You can do that. Personally: I'd first get a short USB extension cable and see if relocating CM's WiFi dongle will fix the problem. Then I'd try a wireless bridge. Only after all that failed would I run wire.

You can get all the (different) cables you want at Monoprice, btw.

Jim
Thanks. Hopefully, at least, the adapter won't be defective. My TV is quite close to my router, so distance shouldn't be a problem.

Joe

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
SirCrow is offline  
post #4661 of 9480 Old 09-13-2014, 05:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydSoCal View Post
If I were you, I'd give the WD a try before biting the Bullet for a Seagate Drive (although I think the Seagate might be cheaper on Amazon). I too like the Passport Ultra, in fact have another one hooked up to my Laptop and it works perfectly there. WD is also a NOT constantly running Drive as I understand the Seagates are. WD is supposed to start back up (from sleeping) in 10-15 seconds I think. Good Luck!
Thanks! My concern now is that, with the oversized plugs they use, I won't find an electrical outlet for my old WD My Book! (The strip has 2 free ones, but it's a tight squeeze.) For that reason, I'm inclined to buy a 1TB My Passport Ultra, which is USB-powered. I hope that WD's claim that their AV version of the drive is the better choice is just nonsense, as it is more expensive.
LloydSoCal likes this.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
SirCrow is offline  
post #4662 of 9480 Old 09-13-2014, 05:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Can I Set Chapter Markers?

On both of my old DVRs (Panasonic SD, Sony HD), I can set multiple markers that allow easy access to various points in a recording. If the DVR+ lacks this ability, then I STRONGLY urge Channel Master (or E*) to add it. I'm spoiled by that convenience, and it would be great not to have to lose it. Thanks for listening!

In fact, I wish the folks at CM would closely study the functionality of Panasonic's DMR-EH50 and combine its best features with the best of DVR+. That was a beautifully designed DVR! If only I could turn it into HD! Yes, both of the old units still work, although the Panny's DVD recorder is broken; and the Sony has gone insane.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]

Last edited by SirCrow; 09-14-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: specificity
SirCrow is offline  
post #4663 of 9480 Old 09-13-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 178
CM will do nothing, because it's a e* product.
P Smith is offline  
post #4664 of 9480 Old 09-13-2014, 07:38 AM
Member
 
LloydSoCal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Thanks! My concern now is that, with the oversized plugs they use, I won't find an electrical outlet for my old WD My Book! (The strip has 2 free ones, but it's a tight squeeze.) For that reason, I'm inclined to buy a 1TB My Passport Ultra, which is USB-powered. I hope that WD's claim that their AV version of the drive is the better choice is just nonsense, as it is more expensive.
The Hard Drive + DVR+ both have oversized Plugs. If you have room, you can do what I did: use one of the Power Strip "Slots" to connect a second Power Strip. It's bulky, but does the job and still preserves the Protections of the original Power Strip (surge, etc.). Not elegant, but it works. So, you can go either way. Lloyd
LloydSoCal is offline  
post #4665 of 9480 Old 09-13-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 11,529
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Thanks! My concern now is that, with the oversized plugs they use, I won't find an electrical outlet for my old WD My Book! (The strip has 2 free ones, but it's a tight squeeze.)
You can go to Amazon.com and buy a 5-pack of AC extenders. These are nothing more than 12" extension cables that get the over-sized power warts away from the surge protector plug and allow you to utilize all the sockets on the strip. I use them where needed and have not had any problems.
wizwor and SirCrow like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #4666 of 9480 Old 09-13-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 11,529
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
In fact, I wish the folks at CM would closely study the functionality of Panasonic's DMR-EH50 and combine its best features with the best of DVR+. That was a beautifully designed DVR! If only I could turn it into HD!
The two units are designed for completely different purposes. The primary purpose of the DMR EH50 is to record source for creating and burn DVD-R. The primary purpose of the DVR+ is to facilitate the viewing of HDTV.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #4667 of 9480 Old 09-13-2014, 12:56 PM
Member
 
Arenal04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
On both of my old DVRs (Panasonic SD, Sony HD), I can set markers that allow easy access to any point in a recording. If the DVR+ lacks this ability, then I STRONGLY urge Channel Master to add it. I'm spoiled by that convenience, and it would be great not to have to lose it. Thanks for listening!

In fact, I wish the folks at CM would closely study the functionality of Panasonic's DMR-EH50 and combine its best features with the best of DVR+. That was a beautifully designed DVR! If only I could turn it into HD! Yes, both of the old units still work, although the Panny's DVD recorder is broken; and the Sony has gone insane.
As a long-time Panasonic DVD Recorder user myself, I know the markers you're talking about. No, the DVR+ won't let you set markers like the Panasonic units did. But the DVR+ does remember where in the recording you last pressed the Stop button. When you select that recording again, there's a Resume Playback option. Select that to pick up where you left off. The DVR+ has only one "marker" per recording, unlike the Panasonic. But it beats the heck out of having no such resume function.

Last edited by Arenal04; 09-13-2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Fix spelling.
Arenal04 is offline  
post #4668 of 9480 Old 09-13-2014, 01:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Russell_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
CM will do nothing, because it's a e* product.
I disagree. Have you any proof at all that CM does not drive the requirements for the product?
Russell_ is offline  
post #4669 of 9480 Old 09-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Senior Member
 
SoonerTheBetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Has any one reviewed the Channel Master DVR+ with internal 1TB HDD? Does it have the exact same operation as what this thread is discussing? I just saw these at Best Buy's site, and CNET has got a little blurb about it.

I have been running a couple of DTVPals since they came out and have been rooting around lately to see if there was anything else out there just in case one of my Pals go down.

Anyhoo, I just bought one of these and should get it sometime next week. My Best Buy credit card has been at zero balance for a couple of years and this was kind of a knee jerk purchase. I guess I should get to reading this thread and seeing what this thing is all about.
SoonerTheBetter is offline  
post #4670 of 9480 Old 09-13-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chuck44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Missouri Ozarks
Posts: 2,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTheBetter View Post
Has any one reviewed the Channel Master DVR+ with internal 1TB HDD? Does it have the exact same operation as what this thread is discussing? I just saw these at Best Buy's site, and CNET has got a little blurb about it.

I have been running a couple of DTVPals since they came out and have been rooting around lately to see if there was anything else out there just in case one of my Pals go down.

Anyhoo, I just bought one of these and should get it sometime next week. My Best Buy credit card has been at zero balance for a couple of years and this was kind of a knee jerk purchase. I guess I should get to reading this thread and seeing what this thing is all about.
What did you have to pay for it?
Chuck44 is offline  
post #4671 of 9480 Old 09-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Senior Member
 
SoonerTheBetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hey Chuck44, what's up. I paid $399.00. It is kind of steep, but hopefully it has matured to the point where it is stable. I hope I am as happy with it as I have been with the DTVPal.
SoonerTheBetter is offline  
post #4672 of 9480 Old 09-13-2014, 10:28 PM
Senior Member
 
osu1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTheBetter View Post
Has any one reviewed the Channel Master DVR+ with internal 1TB HDD? Does it have the exact same operation as what this thread is discussing? I just saw these at Best Buy's site, and CNET has got a little blurb about it.

I have been running a couple of DTVPals since they came out and have been rooting around lately to see if there was anything else out there just in case one of my Pals go down.

Anyhoo, I just bought one of these and should get it sometime next week. My Best Buy credit card has been at zero balance for a couple of years and this was kind of a knee jerk purchase. I guess I should get to reading this thread and seeing what this thing is all about.

Hopefully the Rovi guide works for you. I would be interested to hear your results. Another member in the Webbers Falls area had problems with getting correct Rovi guide data with the early DVR+ and external drive before the last few firmware updates. He was getting channels from both Tulsa and Ft Smith though, but the guide was screwed up and I don't know if we ever determined if it was getting guide info from Rovi or not.

I have 3 Pals that are still working fine, since I talked to the engineers at some of the local stations and got ktul, kotv, and kqcw to extend their guide data to 72 - 84hrs. kjrh is tolerable with 36hrs. If I could only get Cox to extend the data on koki and kmyt to more than 12hrs, I would be happy. I talked with kwhb a few weeks ago about getting them to sort their psip data out. I see Cozi on 47.2 finally has correct data.
osu1991 is offline  
post #4673 of 9480 Old 09-13-2014, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_ View Post
I disagree. Have you any proof at all that CM does not drive the requirements for the product?
Disagree? On what ?
- is it e* product ?
- only e* can do changes in FW of the model ?
- CM "could" pass our "moaning" to them and nothing else ? (well, they are posting new FW on their web, right, yeah)
- our cry for new features or small changes like "wrap" of lists in menu never been heard by e*?

Do you have opposite facts ?
P Smith is offline  
post #4674 of 9480 Old 09-14-2014, 01:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Thanks! My concern now is that, with the oversized plugs they use, I won't find an electrical outlet for my old WD My Book! (The strip has 2 free ones, but it's a tight squeeze.) For that reason, I'm inclined to buy a 1TB My Passport Ultra, which is USB-powered. I hope that WD's claim that their AV version of the drive is the better choice is just nonsense, as it is more expensive.
Just buy a set of these short 12" extension cords, and all your worries will be solved.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Johnla is offline  
post #4675 of 9480 Old 09-14-2014, 04:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Russell_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Disagree? On what ?
- is it e* product ?
- only e* can do changes in FW of the model ?
- CM "could" pass our "moaning" to them and nothing else ? (well, they are posting new FW on their web, right, yeah)
- our cry for new features or small changes like "wrap" of lists in menu never been heard by e*?

Do you have opposite facts ?
My original statement is self-explanatory and is based on logic and common sense.
Russell_ is offline  
post #4676 of 9480 Old 09-14-2014, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 178
well, I'm did post my points ...
P Smith is offline  
post #4677 of 9480 Old 09-14-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
qz3fwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,267
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
As a long-time Panasonic DVD Recorder user myself, I know the markers you're talking about. No, the DVR+ won't let you set markers like the Panasonic units did. But the DVR+ does remember where in the recording you last pressed the Stop button. When you select that recording again, there's a Resume Playback option. Select that to pick up where you left off. The DVR+ has only one "marker" per recording, unlike the Panasonic. But it beats the heck out of having no such resume function.
Adding markers would be such a simple thing for them to add you have to wonder if they do not include this functionality because it would allow people to mark commercials and then skip over them entirely and fear litigation from the broadcasters?
qz3fwd is online now  
post #4678 of 9480 Old 09-14-2014, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
 
SoonerTheBetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1991 View Post
Hopefully the Rovi guide works for you. I would be interested to hear your results. Another member in the Webbers Falls area had problems with getting correct Rovi guide data with the early DVR+ and external drive before the last few firmware updates. He was getting channels from both Tulsa and Ft Smith though, but the guide was screwed up and I don't know if we ever determined if it was getting guide info from Rovi or not.
I have been out of the loop and had to google ROVI to refresh my memory. PSIP and TVGOS were the only terms I have known for about six years. For a while(a few weeks), I will probably not have the DVR+ connected to the internet. I want to see how it handles pure PSIP data, but I will definitely report my findings on ROVI when I get the wifi dongle. I haven't had an electronic toy to play with in a while. This should be fun.



Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1991 View Post
I have 3 Pals that are still working fine, since I talked to the engineers at some of the local stations and got ktul, kotv, and kqcw to extend their guide data to 72 - 84hrs. kjrh is tolerable with 36hrs. If I could only get Cox to extend the data on koki and kmyt to more than 12hrs, I would be happy. I talked with kwhb a few weeks ago about getting them to sort their psip data out. I see Cozi on 47.2 finally has correct data.
I appreciate your work getting the PSIP information extended. It is definitely noticed. More is always better, but it annoys me when I check the prime time schedule before I go to work and some of the channels are not populated. Fifteen hours would cover that.
SoonerTheBetter is offline  
post #4679 of 9480 Old 09-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
CM will do nothing, because it's a e* product.
Yes, I've read that; I just wasn't sure how all that business works. Thanks.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
SirCrow is offline  
post #4680 of 9480 Old 09-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
...the DVR+ does remember where in the recording you last pressed the Stop button. When you select that recording again, there's a Resume Playback option. Select that to pick up where you left off.
That's good, but having multiple markers would be SO MUCH better, especially for looong recordings. If you can't imagine why this would be so convenient, then you surely haven't been spoiled by such a lovely feature, as I have. I admit it, I'm a....a....I can't think of the word, but it's probably not a good one.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
SirCrow is offline  
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off