116Likes

post #4681 of 4720 Old 09-14-2014, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Adding markers would be such a simple thing for them to add you have to wonder if they do not include this functionality because it would allow people to mark commercials and then skip over them entirely and fear litigation from the broadcasters?
Very good point.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 4720 Old 09-14-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post
If someone is using a Toshiba Canvio drive on their DVR+, could they please confirm that they work? I'm using a Canvio drive (1TB) on my iView 3500STB, and it will go into standby mode if it is inactive for a few minutes. I understand that other drives don't function the same way on the 3500STB, so I'm wondering if that feature is compatible with the DVR+. The Canvio drives are relatively inexpensive and available locally.
Have you not received an answer yet? I, too, am wondering whether a Toshiba Canvio would work.

UPDATE: I think WD is more reliable than Toshiba, so I'll likely go with the My Passport Ultra. And if it fails, I'll assume the fault lies with either the USB cable or the connection between the external USB port and the inner drive body -- and that it can be remedied by a new cable or transplanting the drive into a new shell.

Last edited by SirCrow; Today at 04:31 PM. Reason: better informed now
post #4683 of 4720 Old 09-14-2014, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Talking

Quote:
I, too, am wondering whether a Toshiba Canvio would work.
i ordered a 1TB Canvio bundle from Walmart that arrives in a couple. Channel Master indicated to me that it should work. i'll make a note to check back in and let you know how it goes if you want.

Last edited by davidicus; 09-14-2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: addition
post #4684 of 4720 Old 09-14-2014, 11:36 PM

Question DVR+ works direct to TV, but not through HDMI switch

having a problem here with my new DVR+

DVR+ working great when connected directly to my TV, but only getting audio through when i introduce the HDMI switch. any idea what i could be missing?

doesn't matter which cable or switch ports i try. PS3 is working great through the switch.
post #4685 of 4720 Old Yesterday, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidicus View Post
having a problem here with my new DVR+

DVR+ working great when connected directly to my TV, but only getting audio through when i introduce the HDMI switch. any idea what i could be missing?

doesn't matter which cable or switch ports i try. PS3 is working great through the switch.
get that one what is support HDCP
post #4686 of 4720 Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakep_82 View Post
Channel Master posted this to Facebook last night; "Hey TV Freedom fans! An announcement is coming Monday. Hmmm, what could it be? If you have a DVR+ you'll see something new in the guide if you're Internet-connected. And if you've been thinking about purchasing DVR+, stay tuned, you will like this. You will hear it first here on the FB page!"

Hopefully they also add new episode filtering, but the announcement would indicate it's likely just new streaming options.
From facebook today:

Today's DVR+ software update 111R, going out around 12 PM Pacific time, includes: Pandora Internet Radio app in the program guide, channel 201; Spanish language UI support (activate in Settings menu); Closed Caption in VUDU; HotPlug support for USB storage and WiFi dongle (no re-boot required); Default channel icon (little TV screen) for channels that do not have one; Recording/reminder symbol is now always visible in top left corner of program name; Live video restores faster after signal loss; Canadian postal codes fully integrated in setup wizard; Pressing "OK" in inactivity pop-up now goes to live video, not Standby mode; Auto time falls back to PSIP on first NTP fail.

Big day today! DVR+ now has Pandora. Create up to 100 personal music channels! And how about permanent FREE SHIPPING for DVR+? Done! You also wanted a financing option. Sign up for PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later), buy DVR+ now and pay later over six months!
post #4687 of 4720 Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Auto time falls back to PSIP on first NTP fail.
Not sure exactly what that means in practice but I don't like the sound of it. PSIP should not have any part in setting a DVR's clock.

As to the rest of the announcement, it is as little as I was led to believe. The Spanish language support was actually slated for a previous firmware update but was deactivated at the last minute because of problems. The end goal for development is to provide stability in the features that were promised and then dribble out new streaming channels along with minor bug fixes so they can keep the marketing chatter going for sales.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4688 of 4720 Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Well, that big news update was certainly unimpressive.

SEMIJim, Donald1800 and pachinko like this.
post #4689 of 4720 Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just in case anyone is interested, here is a follow up to my post about ordering the DVR+ with 1 TB HDD from Bestbuy yesterday(Sunday). I got an email with a tracking number from Bestbuy today. My DVR+ will be here Wednesday and is coming out of Louisville, KY. Woohoo.

I am not sure if there is any usable info gleaned from this. Just an FYI.
post #4690 of 4720 Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Not sure exactly what that means in practice but I don't like the sound of it. PSIP should not have any part in setting a DVR's clock.

As to the rest of the announcement, it is as little as I was led to believe. The Spanish language support was actually slated for a previous firmware update but was deactivated at the last minute because of problems. The end goal for development is to provide stability in the features that were promised and then dribble out new streaming channels along with minor bug fixes so they can keep the marketing chatter going for sales.
NTP means the DVR+ uses an internet time server to establish clock and if the device goes offline then it falls back to PSIP data.
post #4691 of 4720 Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
get that one what is support HDCP
you think the HDMI switch doesn't support HDCP? ugh
would that mean the DVR+ implements it differently than other devices that are working?
post #4692 of 4720 Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
NTP means the DVR+ uses an internet time server to establish clock and if the device goes offline then it falls back to PSIP data.
Thank you, I'm aware of that. My comment was more directed at the phrase they used of "on first NTP fail". Does that mean if there is an NTP fail because the server is off-line that the DVR+ reverts to PSIP and stops checking NTP until a reboot?

That is what I was questioning when I said I don't know what it means in practice. Does it go back to NTP on its own at some point.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4693 of 4720 Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidicus View Post
you think the HDMI switch doesn't support HDCP? ugh
would that mean the DVR+ implements it differently than other devices that are working?
I would be surprised at an HDMI switch that did not support HDCP. HDCP support is part of the HDMI spec. It cannot be labeled HDMI compliant if it does not support HDCP.

On the other hand there are lots of low-end HDMI switches that are crap. Lots of people have the DVR+ plugged into the HDMI switch on their AVR without any issue.

- kelson h

post #4694 of 4720 Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I've had my DVR+ plugged into a 2 year old Onkyo AVR, and when the HDMI board on that died (heading back to Onkyo for repair) I reverted to a 9 year old Harman Kardon AVR. It works perfectly fine with both, and I've had no HDCP issues. I would assume it has something to do with your switch, or possibly with your settings.
post #4695 of 4720 Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Amen to that. If NTP fails, the DVR+ should do nothing and continue to keep time as best it can without trying to set the clock from another source. PSIP is notoriously unreliable and should never be allowed to mess with your system clock. Dealing with clock drift is far superior to letting PSIP suddenly set your clock 10 hours off and breaking all your timers.
post #4696 of 4720 Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
I would be surprised at an HDMI switch that did not support HDCP. HDCP support is part of the HDMI spec. It cannot be labeled HDMI compliant if it does not support HDCP.

On the other hand there are lots of low-end HDMI switches that are crap. Lots of people have the DVR+ plugged into the HDMI switch on their AVR without any issue.
HDMI supports HDCP but HDCP is an Intel product licensed separately... $10,000 yearly plus per-unit royalty to HDMI org., and $15,000 Annual Fee plus $1000-5000 for Device Key Sets ($5000 for up to 1 million). So, I suspect you could have products with HDMI logo but not HDCP compliant.

HDMI org. info.
HDCP info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Last edited by wajo; Yesterday at 03:15 PM.
post #4697 of 4720 Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
HDMI supports HDCP but HDCP is an Intel product licensed separately... $10,000 yearly plus per-unit royalty to HDMI org., and $15,000 Annual Fee plus $1000-5000 for Device Key Sets ($5000 for up to 1 million). So, I suspect you could have products with HDMI logo but not HDCP compliant.

HDMI org. info.
HDCP info.
True-just about everything in HDMI (&Blu ray) is optional-likely including the ability to transport uncompressed audio and video. Haha.
post #4698 of 4720 Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
Well, that big news update was certainly unimpressive.

Agreed. un-impressive update. Do they have a competent software staff writing these updates?
post #4699 of 4720 Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Agreed. un-impressive update. Do they have a competent software staff writing these updates?
No. I've had a DVR+ since February and it's just never worked right. I don't care about more "features" -- I just wish the damn thing responded to the remote or could go two weeks without needing a reboot.
post #4700 of 4720 Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
After the update the Pandora and Hulu aren't showing up in the right place. Have reset, etc... no joy.
post #4701 of 4720 Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
From CM's facebook page:

Quote:
We know you want Netflix, so do we! "Channel Master expects to add a couple more apps to the mix by mid-November, a spokeswoman said, noting that the company has been making attempts to get Netflix on board because customers are screaming for it, but no deal has been reached." - See more at: http://www.multichannel.com/news/tec....fedCVlpf.dpuf
post #4702 of 4720 Old Today, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_f_s View Post
After the update the Pandora and Hulu aren't showing up in the right place. Have reset, etc... no joy.
And when I try to run them it has a circular graphic indicating that I should wait, and after a minute or three it says that there was a problem and it returns to live TV.
post #4703 of 4720 Old Today, 08:28 AM

Liked: 10
After the firmware upgrade, I do like that the red triangle in the guide (indicating that you are scheduled to record a program) is now in the upper left, rather than the upper right. Saves a lot of scrolling to get to the right side of the program in the guide.

I am also now getting full Rovi guide data for our main PBS channel where I was only getting PSIP before.

Mark
post #4704 of 4720 Old Today, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Everything is working well for me on 111R. My DVR developed some intermittent remote lag over time with 108R. That lag seems to be gone, but I'll wait until I use it more before deciding it's truly gone.

I tried the Pandora app out of curiosity, but I already have 4 other ways to stream it so I deleted the channel from my guide after confirming it worked.
post #4705 of 4720 Old Today, 09:55 AM

Question details for ext2fsd

----------------------------
Sorry to be clueless, but ... just got the CM DVR+, trying to copy files into Windows 8.1 system. OK, so I installed
ext2fsd, plugged in my Seagate drive, ran ext2mgr.exe .... and now what? How do I get to see the files on the disk?
post #4706 of 4720 Old Today, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 130
you must assign a letter to that partition ... just re-read that posts where it was explain in details
post #4707 of 4720 Old Today, 02:02 PM

Old WD My Book Keeps Spinning

I now have my DVR+ and have learned much by playing around with it. I connected my Western Digital My Book -- model #WDH1U3200 (?) from 5-8 yrs. ago -- and it seems to work quite well. However, it appears to remain on and spinning even with the DVR+ turned off. This may force me to buy a WD My Passport or Toshiba Canvio sooner rather than later. Do you know how I can make the My Book power down? Thanks!

UPDATE: I've just heard back from CM, and here's how they answered my Q:
"So the software on the DVR+ tells the hard drive to continue spinning so that it can always be ready to record or to buffer. Unfortunately the drive will continue to spin."

But I've read somewhere about changing the spinning/not spinning behavior of external HDDs. Is that possibly only with newer models, or not at all?

Last edited by SirCrow; Today at 03:17 PM.
post #4708 of 4720 Old Today, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
I now have my DVR+ and have learned much by playing around with it. I connected my Western Digital My Book -- model #WDH1U3200 (?) from 5-8 yrs. ago -- and it seems to work quite well. However, it appears to remain on and spinning even with the DVR+ turned off. This may force me to buy a WD My Passport or Toshiba Canvio sooner rather than later. Do you know how I can make the My Book power down? Thanks!

UPDATE: I've just heard back from CM, and here's how they answered my Q:
"So the software on the DVR+ tells the hard drive to continue spinning so that it can always be ready to record or to buffer. Unfortunately the drive will continue to spin."

But I've read somewhere about changing the spinning/not spinning behavior of external HDDs. Is that possibly only with newer models, or not at all?
CM has no clue. The sleep timer is a property of the drive and the DVR+ isn't telling it anything. I have a recent WD My Book (3TB model) and it spins down after about 10 minutes; I believe that was a factory preset, but perhaps I set it. In any case, you use the WD Drive Utilities that came with the drive (or that you can download from WD). The sleep timer is the second option down. You need to do this under Windows, then put the drive back on your DVR+.

The drive will spin up in 10 seconds or less when the DVR+ needs to write to it. My WD My Passport Ultra is set up for 10 minute sleep timer and works perfectly this way.

Last edited by frank70; Today at 03:35 PM.
post #4709 of 4720 Old Today, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
It's not elegant, but at least I look like I know what I'm doing.
"...I look as if I know what I'm doing." (I'm the part-time grammar police. Sorry.)
Anyway, thanks for the posts. Or is it postings?

post #4710 of 4720 Old Today, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
CM has no clue. The sleep timer is a property of the drive and the DVR+ isn't telling it anything. I have a recent WD My Book (3TB model) and it spins down after about 10 minutes; I believe that was a factory preset, but perhaps I set it. In any case, you use the WD Drive Utilities that came with the drive (or that you can download from WD). The sleep timer is the second option down. You need to do this under Windows, then put the drive back on your DVR+.

The drive will spin up in 10 seconds or less when the DVR+ needs to write to it. My WD My Passport Ultra is set up for 10 minute sleep timer and works perfectly this way.
Your answer is encouraging, but... does this mean I have to reformat it for Windows, then back to DVR+? And doesn't the formatting for DVR+ wipe out any settings re. the spinning down? In any case, I think I will buy the My Passport Ultra. If I do, must I first fiddle with any utilities and settings under Windows?

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by SirCrow; Today at 04:19 PM. Reason: specificity
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page