116Likes

post #4711 of 4723 Old Today, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidicus View Post
i ordered a 1TB Canvio bundle from Walmart that arrives in a couple. Channel Master indicated to me that it should work. i'll make a note to check back in and let you know how it goes if you want.
Yes, I am curious. Thanks.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4712 of 4723 Old Today, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Not sure exactly what that means in practice but I don't like the sound of it. PSIP should not have any part in setting a DVR's clock.
Am I correct to assume that I should only manually set the DVR's time & date?
Thanks.

post #4713 of 4723 Old Today, 05:09 PM

Software Update Removed a Convenient Function

After the update to version 111R, the RED button no longer brings up the Delete Channel dialogue on the channel-list screen. And this right after I'd just set up my new DVR+ and came to like that particular function. Oh, well.

And I have no working printer, so consulting the full manual will be somewhat tricky.

post #4714 of 4723 Old Today, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
From facebook today:

Today's DVR+ software update 111R, going out around 12 PM Pacific time, includes: Pandora Internet Radio app in the program guide, channel 201; Spanish language UI support (activate in Settings menu); Closed Caption in VUDU;...
I may or may not ever use Vudu. And I don't listen to my music thru my TV, so I've no use for Pandora.
I hope something more useful will soon come streaming in. Although, I do already have a Roku, so...
pachinko likes this.

post #4715 of 4723 Old Today, 06:19 PM

Chapter Markers: A Useful But Absent Function

Here's one good example of why chapter markers are a function sorely missed (by me), regardless of which DVR it is:

You're watching live TV. Then, you want to play back a recording, after which you wish to return to exactly where you left live TV. I suppose you could change the channel, then change it back, thereby making that the beginning of the "live" program. But maybe you don't want to lose the part before. Or, you could start recording the live thing you don't want to miss. But really, chapter markers would be a much better solution. Not to mention how convenient they would be in finding certain parts of a recording. What a time saver!

And speaking of saving time, how do I jump to the beg. or end of a prog., whether it's recorded or live? Having played around with my new DVR+ for only several hours, I think I would have found it by now if it were possible. The online manual isn't helping much.

I had assumed that TiVo surely lets one create chapter marks, but now I'm not so sure. How lame if it can't! Pardon my use of that word (and I don't mean TiVo).

Thanks.

post #4716 of 4723 Old Today, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
I had assumed that TiVo surely lets one create chapter marks, but now I'm not so sure.
TiVo has a resume function that lets you pick up from where you left off when watching a recording. It does not have a resume function for Live TV unless you are actively recording the live stream. It does have a pause function for live TV that lets you pause the program and switch channels to another program then back to where you left off. It can do this because it uses independent buffers for each tuner. The down side is that the buffers are only 30 min. People have been after them for years to increase the length of the record buffers but to no avail.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4717 of 4723 Old Today, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Am I correct to assume that I should only manually set the DVR's time & date?
Thanks.
No, the DVR+ does not keep accurate time when the time is set manually.
post #4718 of 4723 Old Today, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 323
How bad is the clock drift? Does it run fast or slow, and how many seconds does it gain or lose per day? These would be useful statistics to have.
post #4719 of 4723 Old Today, 07:00 PM

Looks like there may be some unannounced bug fixes in the 111R update. A couple of programs I had set to Record by Name, but which had failed to record since sometime back in July, just showed up as scheduled recordings in the Guide and the DVR Scheduled Recordings screen. My past experience was that the the DVR+ would reset itself (as indicated by the Session Time in the STB Health screen, and then stop recording programs which had been scheduled to Record by Name. I have since been using manually set recording times.

When I first checked the "Last Rovi Update" after the 111R update there was a "[001]" displayed after the date and time while Rovi was still updating the Guide. Now the "[001]" has been replaced by "OK". Hopefully this extra status information will help to diagnose any future problems with Rovi updates.
post #4720 of 4723 Old Today, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
How bad is the clock drift? Does it run fast or slow, and how many seconds does it gain or lose per day? These would be useful statistics to have.
When I tried setting the DVR+ clock manually back in April I found it had drifted by about 10 seconds in less than a day.
post #4721 of 4723 Old Today, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
From CM's facebook page:

Quote:
We know you want Netflix, so do we! "Channel Master expects to add a couple more apps to the mix by mid-November, a spokeswoman said, noting that the company has been making attempts to get Netflix on board because customers are screaming for it, but no deal has been reached." - See more at: http://www.multichannel.com/news/tec....fedCVlpf.dpuf

Is that really what DVR+ owners want, apps for streaming? Here I thought from following this forum they wanted a dependable and full-featured OTA DVR. Shows how little I know.

My best friend is my PAL

Last edited by jamez68; Today at 08:15 PM. Reason: the quote was missing
post #4722 of 4723 Old Today, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
TiVo has a resume function that lets you pick up from where you left off when watching a recording. It does not have a resume function for Live TV unless you are actively recording the live stream. It does have a pause function for live TV that lets you pause the program and switch channels to another program then back to where you left off. It can do this because it uses independent buffers for each tuner. The down side is that the buffers are only 30 min. People have been after them for years to increase the length of the record buffers but to no avail.
Wow. So, what's the Almighty TiVo's excuse for not having chapter markers? Legal reasons? Must be. After all, it's insane not to implement such an excellent feature if one is free to do so. I'm upset about having to give them up, but I do get some satisfaction from knowing that even the many, many users of the ever-popular TiVo have to do without.

Thanks, Kelson.

post #4723 of 4723 Old Today, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamez68 View Post
Is that really what DVR+ owners want, apps for streaming? Here I thought from following this forum they wanted a dependable and full-featured OTA DVR. Shows how little I know.
I think CM should focus on making their DVR the best one out there, and forget about the streaming apps. Smart TVs and Roku boxes sufficiently cover streaming apps, no need for those features in an OTA DVR.

I think CM's next fix should be to make the guide page more inclusive. What is it, 5 channels for 2-1/ hours? The PalDVR could do 9 channels for a full 3 hours, or 116% more guide visible at one time. I'd sure hate to have to scroll through the DVR+ guide to set up a weeks worth of programming.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page