post #4741 of 4745 Old Today, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
Also, they still have a lot of missing or failed concepts and features in this unit, many of which were available or functioned much better on their previous e*/CM DVRs, which is why the old DTVPalDVR/CM7000 DVRs are still so popular and preferred by many users over the DVR+.
Yes, it has been noted many times by other CM-7000/7400 users that there are features found on those units that are missing from the DVR+ (CM-7500). Those units cost $400 and this one costs only $250. Price class is very important. It defines their target market as those who want a solid DVR but can't afford a TiVo. The mid-range feature set reflects the mid-range price. Software development has its costs and those costs are substantial. In trying to hit this price target I would almost bet they re-used a lot of old E* code in the same way they re-used the European hardware design. I know everyone wants to see them continue to invest in development and augment the UI with advanced features that they provide for free with firmware updates. But at this price it is being sold as an appliance like any disk player, AVR or even Smart TV's -- you buy it for the feature set that comes out of the box and if you want more you wait for the next model in the line.

For what it does, I feel the DVR+ is an incredibly good value in its price class and is a really nice DVR for a large segment of OTA users. Even with its perceived limitations nothing touches it in its price class.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; Today at 08:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4742 of 4745 Old Today, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Can one of you DVR+ owners answer this question?

Does the DVR+ allow for viewing a previously recorded show while 2 recordings are taking place?

I thought I saw where you could only record one show while viewing a previously recorded show.
Yes sir, you can view content stored on the disk drive at the same time that both tuners are busy recording.
Works fine.
post #4743 of 4745 Old Today, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
It already is.

There is not a single mid-range DVR in its price class that can touch it. I feel they will continue to make small tweaks and iron out bugs that impact reliability but basically the product is in a finished state -- periodic firmware updates, no matter how minor, give the impression of continued product support which is always good for marketing and sales.

Unless they get some serious competition in their price class (features and function), CM will have little incentive to change anything. And even then, their response will likely be enhanced features in the form of a new model you can buy all over again -- new development has to be paid for.
I think they do have incentive to change things because it is well-reported how user-unfriendly and buggy this product is. There are a ton more people out there who would buy this IF it actually worked well. And yes, a lot of the general public would like Netflix too.

Not to beat a dead horse, but:

ability to delete a show after watching it
FF/RW at x300 speed
larger Guide and complete program descriptions (not severed)
ability to set a manual recording WITHOUT having to torturously enter the name
a totally redesigned remote and no more remote lag
+Netflix________________
A zillion new customers!
post #4744 of 4745 Old Today, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Can one of you DVR+ owners answer this question?

Does the DVR+ allow for viewing a previously recorded show while 2 recordings are taking place?

I thought I saw where you could only record one show while viewing a previously recorded show.

Yes you can record two and watch one.
post #4745 of 4745 Old Today, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrag2 View Post
ability to delete a show after watching it
FF/RW at x300 speed
larger Guide and complete program descriptions (not severed)
ability to set a manual recording WITHOUT having to torturously enter the name
a totally redesigned remote and no more remote lag
+Netflix________________
A zillion new customers!
I absolutely don't want it to prompt me about deleting a show after watching. I frequently switch between recordings and I also keep some shows. I do wish it would dump me back into the folder where I started the show, but I don't want to dismiss a nagging reminder to delete a show every time I switch to something new.

I also think the guide is perfect the way it is now. I like being able to see some of the show currently airing while I'm looking through the guide. Pressing the info button while highlighting a show brings up the full description. I personally think the guide is very well done as it exists.

I also like the current remote. After a short while I figured out where every button is located. I can use it without looking at now. Regarding lag, I've had none since I upgraded to 111R. I won't say it's gone forever, but so far it is for me.

As for Netflix, I personally have 3 other devices that can stream it so I don't care either way. I feel like the market is pretty well saturated with Netflix streaming devices, but if enough people are holding back on buying the DVR+ because it doesn't have it, they should add it if possible.

I guess overall what I'm saying is not all of these decisions are black and white. What works for you doesn't work for others. I'm personally very happy with the current UI design and functionality. The only feature missing for me is new episode filtering. If they add that then I would consider the DVR+ to be nearly perfect.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page