post #4771 of 4924 Old 09-19-2014, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
Or you can still get it on the CM web site: http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...oftware-Update
All I see there is 111R

I snagged 108R from pachinko's Hightail URL. Thanks, pachinko!

Apparently CM can't be trusted to not do Blindingly Stupid Things . Henceforth I'll make sure to save and manually install downloads, so I can revert, and not be so quick to jump on new releases.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 4924 Old 09-19-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
All I see there is 111R

I snagged 108R from pachinko's Hightail URL. Thanks, pachinko!

Apparently CM can't be trusted to not do Blindingly Stupid Things . Henceforth I'll make sure to save and manually install downloads, so I can revert, and not be so quick to jump on new releases.

Jim
question is will your DVR+ downgrade or accept any version, not just higher number?
post #4773 of 4924 Old 09-19-2014, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
question is will your DVR+ downgrade or accept any version, not just higher number?
I certainly hope so, or that would be an additional black mark against the product.

The external hard drive not sleeping is not acceptable behaviour. Those things are not designed to run 24x7. They'll die an early death, being run that way.

Never mind the energy waste of having the thing spinning 24 hours a day when, for example, in our case, it need be running only about 4-6 hours, at the most.

Jim
post #4774 of 4924 Old 09-19-2014, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
All I see there is 111R
Of course that's all that is there. I was responding to the post I quoted with a dropbox link for version 111R. Why would I link to anything else?

post #4775 of 4924 Old 09-19-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
I certainly hope so, or that would be an additional black mark against the product.

The external hard drive not sleeping is not acceptable behaviour. Those things are not designed to run 24x7. They'll die an early death, being run that way.

Never mind the energy waste of having the thing spinning 24 hours a day when, for example, in our case, it need be running only about 4-6 hours, at the most.

Jim
Actually there are pros and cons with respect to hard drives running 24x7 or shutting them down. Most drives are designed for low energy use and to run 24x7. There is opinion that more damage can be done by turning drives on and off. I suspect but don't know that the DVR+ with the internal 1 TB drive runs 24X7. Also some other DVRS have their drives run 24x7.

Last edited by LenL; 09-19-2014 at 06:02 AM.
post #4776 of 4924 Old 09-19-2014, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Of course that's all that is there. I was responding to the post I quoted with a dropbox link for version 111R. Why would I link to anything else?

Perhaps because the question was "Does anyone have a copy of the 108R software?"

Nevermind.

Jim
post #4777 of 4924 Old 09-19-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Perhaps because the question was "Does anyone have a copy of the 108R software?"

Nevermind.

Jim
"Nevermind"? When you try to make it look like I'm a dolt because you couldn't follow the conversation?

You're not getting it.

I was not trying to answer any question about 108R. If I was, that would be what I would have quoted.

If you'll look back, you'll see that I was responding to a conversation about a link to 111R, which I quoted in my post.

Try to follow the thread:

First cah95046 gave an incomplete link to the 111R software in post #4751 .

In post #4764 P Smith reported that the link given by cah95046 for 111R went to a missing page.

In post #4765 I gave the full (non-truncated) link that cah95046 meant to give for 111R.

In post #4771 you reported that all you see there is 111R, which was exactly what was supposed to be there.

Get it now?

post #4778 of 4924 Old 09-19-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Guys-Hold on-let me get my bag of popcorn.....
post #4779 of 4924 Old 09-19-2014, 09:58 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Guys-Hold on-let me get my bag of popcorn.....
Feeding the fire?
post #4780 of 4924 Old 09-19-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
In post #4764 P Smith reported that the link given by cah95046 for 111R went to a missing page.
you forgot to provide, my post _gave_ URL to a file for immediate download of 111R, actually it is major goal of my "intervention"
post #4781 of 4924 Old 09-19-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
you forgot to provide, my post _gave_ URL to a file for immediate download of 111R, actually it is major goal of my "intervention"
I didn't forget about it, you made it perfectly clear in post #4766 . Why should I have to repeat it for you?

I never claimed that your link was not a valid alternative, my earlier post was to provide the correct link to replace the truncated link that cah95046 supplied earlier.

post #4782 of 4924 Old 09-19-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Or you can still get it on the CM web site: http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...oftware-Update
That link was interesting. Notice the header says features, improvements and bug fixes and yet there are only sections for features and improvements. If however, one reads the section for improvements (quoted below), one sees an out of place Bug fixes at the end of the second berger dot.

Quote:
Improvements:
  • Added a default channel icon for channels which do not have one
  • Changed the recording/reminder symbol in the guide to always display in the top left corner of the program name (Now it is always visible) Bug fixes
  • Live video is restored quicker after signal losses
  • Problem With Entry of Canadian Postal Codes in setup
  • Auto time falls back to PSIP on first NTP fail
  • Radio (audio only) channels are handled correctly
  • When inactivity standby pop up is shown, pressing OK will not put the STB in to standby
This leads me to believe there was a simple formatting error in the page and it should read:

Quote:
New Features:
  • Pandora Streaming Music Application has been implemented on channel 201
  • Spanish language support has been added to the user interface (you can change languages in the settings menu)
  • Close caption support in VUDU
  • Hot plug support for USB storage and WiFi dongle (no reboot required when installing a new USB Wi-Fi adapter or USB Hard Drive)

Improvements:
  • Added a default channel icon for channels which do not have one
  • Changed the recording/reminder symbol in the guide to always display in the top left corner of the program name (Now it is always visible)

Bug fixes
  • Live video is restored quicker after signal losses
  • Problem With Entry of Canadian Postal Codes in setup
  • Radio (audio only) channels are handled correctly
  • When inactivity standby pop up is shown, pressing OK will not put the STB in to standby
This not only makes more sense, but also changes the interpretation of the third berger dot under bug fixes
Quote:
to not be something they implemented as an improvement (as I interpreted and subsequently criticized upon reading the first report here) but rather as a bug that existed and they squashed. An important distinction.
pachinko and SirCrow like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4783 of 4924 Old 09-19-2014, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Actually there are pros and cons with respect to hard drives running 24x7 or shutting them down. Most drives are designed for low energy use and to run 24x7.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this point. After a mere... Hmmm... 38+ years in I.T., it is my studied opinion that rotating media that isn't used but 25% of the time in a 24 hour period, with most of that use being w/in the same 6-hour segment, is best turned off the rest of the time.

As such, and given it's possible, I'll be reverting to 108.

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 09-19-2014 at 02:50 PM.
post #4784 of 4924 Old 09-20-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
New Update

Just wanted to chime in. I saw there was an update available through the check for update screen on the DVR+ and ran it. It downloaded and restarted without issue. I am glad they are adding channels. I logged in to my Pandora account without any problems.

Noticed one oddity while watching shows last night. I watched a show that was in a folder that had two shows. When it was done I selected the show to delete it. When it refreshed, that left only a single show so the folder went away. But it came back showing me a different folder. I think it decided the next show in my list (after the deleted one) should be the active one, but that one was the first item in the next folder. So it stuck me in a folder that I was not using at all. I can kind of see what happened there but it was odd behavior.

I guess I should send in an explanation to CM to put on their list...
post #4785 of 4924 Old 09-20-2014, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
What is the quickest way to access the signal strength indicator from the current channel being displayed, and once you get to the signal strength indicator in the menu, what is the quickest way to check the signal strength of a different channel? I am counting twelve button pushes for the first and sixteen for the latter. I hope I am wrong.
post #4786 of 4924 Old 09-20-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 5
anyone know if Channel Master is still consider a whole-home solution for the DVR+?

https://gigaom.com/2014/01/08/channe...plus-extender/
post #4787 of 4924 Old 09-20-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner2Bruce View Post
anyone know if Channel Master is still consider a whole-home solution for the DVR+?
With only two tuners how practical is it? Hopefully not a lot of people live in the whole house.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #4788 of 4924 Old 09-20-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Operational questions?

1) How do you delete channels from appearing in the guide?

2 ) How do you record a show and schedule it to record weekly? When I press the REC button on the guide it only records the show one time. How do I set it up to record that program weekly? Do I have do a manual record?

Thanks
post #4789 of 4924 Old 09-20-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner2Bruce View Post

https://gigaom.com/2014/01/08/channe...plus-extender/
Their initial press leak was for a box that would allow streaming of programs recorded on the DVR+ but not sharing of tuners -- as Charles noted, with only two tuners that wouldn't make much sense. Since then basically nothing has been reported and I would chalk this up to a marketing balloon they floated to see if it would hold air.

I wonder if the DVR+ even has enough horsepower to do this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4790 of 4924 Old 09-20-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Consider opposite outcome; just to know - start/stop time is make much more problems then constant spinning.
I've heard both sides of this story. But is there strong evidence that supports one over the other? That's what I'd like to know, once and for all.
Thanks.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
post #4791 of 4924 Old 09-20-2014, 01:31 PM

Plus what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Yes, it has been noted many times by other CM-7000/7400 users that there are features found on those units that are missing from the DVR+ (CM-7500). Those units cost $400 and this one costs only $250. Price class is very important. It defines their target market as those who want a solid DVR but can't afford a TiVo. The mid-range feature set reflects the mid-range price. Software development has its costs and those costs are substantial. In trying to hit this price target I would almost bet they re-used a lot of old E* code in the same way they re-used the European hardware design. I know everyone wants to see them continue to invest in development and augment the UI with advanced features that they provide for free with firmware updates. But at this price it is being sold as an appliance like any disk player, AVR or even Smart TV's -- you buy it for the feature set that comes out of the box and if you want more you wait for the next model in the line.

For what it does, I feel the DVR+ is an incredibly good value in its price class and is a really nice DVR for a large segment of OTA users. Even with its perceived limitations nothing touches it in its price class.
Here's a question: + what? Taking the whole price issue into consideration, I still want to say: If you want to call your product DVR Plus, it certainly should do everything my 10-year-old (plus) DVR could do -- PLUS more. Otherwise, drop the + and our expectations will likely be more in accordance with the unit's price. But I can speak only for myself.

The fact is, I do like my DVR+. But there just seem to be too many features and functions missing that should be standard in any mid-priced DVR today. I strongly suspect that I'd be disappointed in TiVo, considering its inflated price. I guess I just expect too much today. After all, in some ways, even my VCRs (remember those?) 15-20 years ago were smarter than today's DVRs. I can give you one great example, if you're curious.

post #4792 of 4924 Old 09-20-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrykuntz View Post
1) How do you delete channels from appearing in the guide?

Thanks
Settings > Tuning > Channels > choose station to delete > Delete Channel
post #4793 of 4924 Old 09-20-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
I've heard both sides of this story. But is there strong evidence that supports one over the other? That's what I'd like to know, once and for all.
This might help... or not?

|
|
|
post #4794 of 4924 Old 09-20-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Feeding the fire?
No, no fire. Microwave popcorn.

post #4795 of 4924 Old 09-20-2014, 02:01 PM

Improvements and Bug Fixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromPhilly View Post
Just wanted to chime in. I saw there was an update available through the check for update screen on the DVR+ and ran it. It downloaded and restarted without issue. I am glad they are adding channels. I logged in to my Pandora account without any problems.

Noticed one oddity while watching shows last night. I watched a show that was in a folder that had two shows. When it was done I selected the show to delete it. When it refreshed, that left only a single show so the folder went away. But it came back showing me a different folder. I think it decided the next show in my list (after the deleted one) should be the active one, but that one was the first item in the next folder. So it stuck me in a folder that I was not using at all. I can kind of see what happened there but it was odd behavior.

I guess I should send in an explanation to CM to put on their list...
Good idea. I've sent them a couple of suggestions, too. But before I take the time to prepare a detailed (and grammatically perfect ) page of feature/functionality suggestions, I'd like to know that they will take them seriously. The CM guy told me he'd pass it on to their engineers. I guess we'll just have to trust them, yes?

post #4796 of 4924 Old 09-20-2014, 02:15 PM

Time-Saving Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTheBetter View Post
What is the quickest way to access the signal strength indicator from the current channel being displayed, and once you get to the signal strength indicator in the menu, what is the quickest way to check the signal strength of a different channel? I am counting twelve button pushes for the first and sixteen for the latter. I hope I am wrong.
Speaking of fewer steps to save time: When the INFO box for a program is displayed while the GUIDE is up, it would be nice if one could move to another program without having to turn the INFO box off and then back on. Little things like that can only make me like my DVR+ more. Besides, don't we all want to waste less time?

post #4797 of 4924 Old 09-20-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrykuntz View Post
2 ) How do you record a show and schedule it to record weekly? When I press the REC button on the guide it only records the show one time. How do I set it up to record that program weekly? Do I have do a manual record?

Thanks
Not sure, but I think if you press OK instead of REC, it gives you some options, including recording every occurrence of that show/name. I'm still learning my way around my DVR+.

Last edited by SirCrow; 09-20-2014 at 02:24 PM. Reason: clutter
post #4798 of 4924 Old 09-20-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
This might help... or not?
Thanks.

post #4799 of 4924 Old 09-20-2014, 02:47 PM

No Recording of Live TV?

Seems to me that while I'm watching a recording, the DVR+ is not recording live TV. This is contrary to what I had assumed. Am I missing something? Thanks.

post #4800 of 4924 Old 09-20-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Seems to me that while I'm watching a recording, the DVR+ is not recording live TV. This is contrary to what I had assumed. Am I missing something? Thanks.
That's correct. You must be watching the channel for it to save it. Also it wouldn't know which of the two tuners you wanted it to buffer.

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page