Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #4861 of 9042 Old 09-23-2014, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioVideoPhilia View Post
Yup, thats exactly what i was refering to. Question is, and I ask those who own the DVR+, is this true? Has a firmware update changed this?

Thanks!
I own a DVR+ but I am not sure I am adept enough to answer your question. I am going into the menu tonight and poke around the audio settings and see what I can see so far as the volume being low after the 111R update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 9042 Old 09-23-2014, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Check to see if midnight mode is turned on. You may have turned it off, and the firmware update turned it back on. That can make a very noticeable difference in perceived volume.
post #4863 of 9042 Old 09-23-2014, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Regarding volume control, does the DVR+ act as a digital preamp? Or does it depend on the TV's or receiver's volume comtrol? If its the latter can the remote learn codes from devices that aren't listed in the user manual?
post #4864 of 9042 Old 09-24-2014, 07:28 AM

In the Audio settings, after the DVR+ is updated to 111R firmware, here are the options.

HDMI- "Stereo Only" or "Auto Stereo/ Surround Sound"
Optical/Digital Audio- "Stereo Only" or "Multichannel"
Midnight Mode- "ON" or "Off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakep_82 View Post
Check to see if midnight mode is turned on. You may have turned it off, and the firmware update turned it back on. That can make a very noticeable difference in perceived volume.
I tried turning "Midnight Mode" off (It was on when I looked) and I could not tell any difference. I left it off. I appreciate the heads up on this mode though.

My explanation of the low volume goes something like this. Normally on my other equipment: pal, PS3, etc., I keep the volume on my TV and/or Surround system at about 35-40. If I need to bump the volume up some, it just takes a couple of notches. With the DVR+, and the volume at 35-40, the volume is slightly lower than normal. If I want to bump up the volume a little, I have to increase it a lot(above 60). I don't even know if this is a problem but since the subject was brought up, I figured I would mention my situation.

Last edited by SoonerTheBetter; 09-25-2014 at 04:17 PM.
post #4865 of 9042 Old 09-24-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TsarQuest View Post
Has anyone else seen this: After upgrading to the 111R version of FW, I must adjust the volume on the home theater sound system (attached via optical cable) to at least 50% higher than when running the 108R version. I did a cold reboot, which improved an issue of out of sync video/audio, but it didn't change the need for added boost to my audio system. I am hearing impaired, but now I'm nearly reaching the top end of the volume on the sound system just to be able to hear the TV shows.
UPDATE: During a particularly bad instance of the above symptoms I checked my hearing aids filters. They indeed needed replacing. After having done so I now see a must more modest need for volume increases - perhaps in the range of 15-25% increase rather then earlier posted 50-60%.

However, since raising this issue, I see that others are experiencing some similar symptoms. So while my hearing aid filters do explain part of my problem, it appears that the 111R update has introduced some sound volume issues.

I had already checked the sound settings, including the Midnight Mode setting (which I had set to On prior to the 111R and which is still On). I will continue to investigate these various option settings, perhaps as well as re-installation of 108R, and post whatever results I find.

Sorry to have initially overstated the case because of my own hearing aid issue, but glad that we may have uncovered another issue for CM to address.
pachinko likes this.
post #4866 of 9042 Old 09-24-2014, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTheBetter View Post
Last night, I tracked my problem down to a specific channel. Channel 6(ABC) and its two subchannels will not accept a a name based recurring timer using the "Record all programs with this name" option. I will explore my manual options tonight. All other channels work and record properly.

When I do try to record ABC with the "Record all programs with this name" option , it does exactly what you are saying. It doesn't flag the program name in the guide grid with a red record marker, and it doesn't record the show.

Channel 6 CBS KOTV or Channel 8 KTUL ABC?

I wonder if its a software problem with the channel mapping of the guide data as KOTV CBS Channel 6 actual channel 45 has a translator for the northern viewing audience in Kansas on actual channel 30 and a translator on actual channel 19 for the southern viewers around McAlester. KTUL ABC channel 8 actual channel 10 does the same but both of their translators are on actual channel 24.
post #4867 of 9042 Old 09-24-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1991 View Post
Channel 6 CBS KOTV or Channel 8 KTUL ABC?

I wonder if its a software problem with the channel mapping of the guide data as KOTV CBS Channel 6 actual channel 45 has a translator for the northern viewing audience in Kansas on actual channel 30 and a translator on actual channel 19 for the southern viewers around McAlester. KTUL ABC channel 8 actual channel 10 does the same but both of their translators are on actual channel 24.
Oops, Channel 6 CBS and its subchannels have the problem. I will correct it in original post.

The guide data seems to be full and correct, the DVR+ just can't seem to deal with it for some reason.

Last edited by SoonerTheBetter; 09-24-2014 at 09:09 AM.
post #4868 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hmmm... It seems the volume is appreciably lower on the DVR+, now.

That's now two reasons to revert to 108. Has anybody tried that, yet?

Jim
post #4869 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Hmmm... It seems the volume is appreciably lower on the DVR+, now.

That's now two reasons to revert to 108. Has anybody tried that, yet?

Jim
I was about to take it down, but I’ll leave FW 108R_104B_prod_signed_usb_download.str on Hightail a little longer just in case someone needs it. Here’s the DL link again:

https://www.hightail.com/download/Ul...cG9samRMWE5Vag
post #4870 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the download pachinko. I downloaded and saved it to my computer to store. For me, the volume problem(if it even is a problem) is not enough for me to want to try and revert back from the 111R firmware update.

I just received an iView-3500STB Tuner a couple of days ago and its volume is really low. I adjusted accordingly.

I am liking the DVR+ more and more as the days go by. I haven't had a single missed timer since I sorted out the glitch with the channel 6 stations, and I have been merciless to this recorder.
osu1991 likes this.
post #4871 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 10:39 AM

Thanks for your help SoonerTheBetter. Its good to know the DVR+ can be set to output stereo audio if needed. I'm warming up to the idea of purchasing this unit once i cut the cord.

Now I dont want to be a pest but I'll ask again if anyone knows if the DVR+ can control volume on its own or if it abolutely needs to use the TV's or the receiver's volume control?
post #4872 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioVideoPhilia View Post
Thanks for your help SoonerTheBetter. Its good to know the DVR+ can be set to output stereo audio if needed. I'm warming up to the idea of purchasing this unit once i cut the cord.

Now I dont want to be a pest but I'll ask again if anyone knows if the DVR+ can control volume on its own or if it abolutely needs to use the TV's or the receiver's volume control?
The DVR+ does not control volume. The volume buttons on the remote can be programmed to control your TV volume. In my case I have an AVR and TV with CEC functionality. My DVR+ remote is programmed to change my TV volume. My TV then sends a signal to my AVR which controls the volume on my theater system. It all happens seamlessly and instantly.
post #4873 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 10:58 AM

But for it to work your TV's or AVR's remote code must be in the list of supported devices in the DVR+'s user manual, right?
post #4874 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 11:05 AM

Correct, and if you look in the manual they have codes for a very large number of manufacturers, including many I've never heard of before. Do you have an off brand that isn't listed?
post #4875 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 11:22 AM

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. My TV's brand is listed but i don't use its speakers. In fact they're still in their box on a shelf in a closet. I run my audio through a digital audio streamer/DAC/preamp that feeds a stereo power amp. This is the device I'd like have control the volume, its made by Cambridge Audio.
post #4876 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 12:39 PM

I doubt you'll be able to control volume on that amp with the DVR+ remote. The only reason my setup works is because both my TV and AVR support HDMI-CEC.
post #4877 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_ View Post
Since you're in PM contact with [CM], encourage them to use this forum for input.
Good, though it might help if there were a special section of the forum meant expressly for said input. As with many a forum, clutter tends to pose a problem. Anyway, that's what me thinky.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
post #4878 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 01:18 PM

REMOTE Buttons in BAD Places

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakep_82 View Post
The DVR+ does not control volume. The volume buttons on the remote can be programmed to control your TV volume. In my case I have an AVR and TV with CEC functionality. My DVR+ remote is programmed to change my TV volume. My TV then sends a signal to my AVR which controls the volume on my theater system. It all happens seamlessly and instantly.
I want my DVR+ remote to control the TV's volume, but I don't dare set it up that way. The reason being that I'd surely be pressing the TV power button by mistake, like, all the time. That numeral 1 button is dangerously close, don't ya know. Similarly, the picture ASPECT button is hard to locate in the dark. And, as I've mentioned before, the PLAY and PAUSE buttons occupy each other's positions, crazily enough.

post #4879 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 01:28 PM

My (Sleepy) Passort Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
SEMIJim,
I also know well respected engineers who would disagree with you.

As to who is right I don't know but I think way too much is made over the electrical cost of today's drives running 24x7 and the wear and tear. I have had drives running continuously live longer than drives that have been shut down when not in use.
Speaking of pros who may or may not know what they're talking about: I've been in contact with a WD rep. who doesn't seem very sure about what the blinking LED on the My Passport Ultra actually means. He explained it, and left me wondering whether my little external drive actually sleeps sometimes or not. Whatever, I guess. Here's what he said:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Blinking slowly and steadily/slow flashing may mean:
  • - Drive in standby mode
    - Powered down (but it's flashing because it is still connected to the computer)
- The rapid and fast blinking means that the drive is in transition to give access to the data
- If the LED is constantly ON that means the drive is in power-on state/in use

These are the normal behaviours of the LED light on My Passport.
Hope this answers your question!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: The rep also suggested that I try the other USB port, so I swapped the HDD with the wireless dongle. I'm doubtful, of course, but one never knows. Naturally, I was afraid I'd damage the wi-fi thingy, but it seems to have survived the operation. As far as the drive's behaviour, I don't think there's any difference.

Last edited by SirCrow; 09-25-2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: add'l info
post #4880 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 01:50 PM

MoCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner2Bruce View Post
... A Moca setup failed with the Mini's so the only option left I use them is an ethernet connection which I am not sure if anything else other than adding ethernet jacks where I want to use them...
I'm seeing references to Moca, of which I'd never heard until today. For clarity, however, it should be written as MoCA (Multimedia over Coax Alliance).

post #4881 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
I've been in contact with a WD rep. who doesn't seem very sure about what the blinking LED on the My Passport Ultra actually means. He explained it, and left me wondering whether my little external drive actually sleeps sometimes or not.
Interesting about the rep. I have one of those little Passports attached to one of my WD Live-SMP. When the Live-SMP goes into standby it sends out a command to attached USB drives to spin down and go into standby -- the Passport goes to sleep and the damn LED starts blinking -- so annoying. The Live-SMP is still alive on the network when in standby -- if I access it to do file manipulations it wakes up the Passport and the light goes on steady. I'm not sure how long after I stop accessing the Live-SMP that it puts the Passport back to sleep -- but it does and it starts that damn blinking again.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4882 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 34
If you want to find out if your hard drive is spinning, lightly put your finger on it.
post #4883 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Interesting about the rep. I have one of those little Passports attached to one of my WD Live-SMP. When the Live-SMP goes into standby it sends out a command to attached USB drives to spin down and go into standby -- the Passport goes to sleep and the damn LED starts blinking -- so annoying. The Live-SMP is still alive on the network when in standby -- if I access it to do file manipulations it wakes up the Passport and the light goes on steady. I'm not sure how long after I stop accessing the Live-SMP that it puts the Passport back to sleep -- but it does and it starts that damn blinking again.
I don't care what that darned light is doing, as long as I'm assured that the drive's sleeping when not in use. I'll just have to trust that if I don't feel vibration, then it's not spinning. Thanks for the input.

post #4884 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
If you want to find out if your hard drive is spinning, lightly put your finger on it.
I've noticed obvious vibration, as well as apparent lack thereof. But I couldn't be sure whether no vibration meant not spinning at all, or just spinning more slowly.

post #4885 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 04:42 PM

Manual Channel Scan....But HOW??

Sorry if this has been covered.

To save my life, I couldn't figure out how to manually scan for a specific channel, such as 4.3, that the full scan didn't pick up. And do you think the online owner's manual helps? Ha! Anyone figure this one out yet? Thanks. (And please don't tell me where to go in the menu; I know that part. I just don't know what to do when I'm there.)

post #4886 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 06:23 PM

Screen ASPECT Button

I've sent a message to CM, but I forgot one issue. I mentioned that the button to change the aspect of the image is hard to find in the dark (I tend to press 9 instead), but I forgot to mention that there should be the option to remember the chosen aspect for SD channels. It's annoying to have to repeatedly change it when I stop on a non-HD channel. If the user so chooses, the aspect can auto-revert when the channel changes.

Does this ring true for you?
Attached Files
File Type: txt DVR (Channel Master) suggestions - Part 1.txt (2.4 KB, 66 views)

post #4887 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 07:19 PM

Will DVR+ Accept a Firmware Reversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I was about to take it down, but I’ll leave FW 108R_104B_prod_signed_usb_download.str on Hightail a little longer just in case someone needs it. Here’s the DL link again:

https://www.hightail.com/download/Ul...cG9samRMWE5Vag
Does anyone know whether or not the firmware can be reverted to 108R? No point in downloading it if it can't.
Thanks.

post #4888 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
I've noticed obvious vibration, as well as apparent lack thereof. But I couldn't be sure whether no vibration meant not spinning at all, or just spinning more slowly.
Such drives (dual speed are too rare, I recall only reading about the feature) wouldn't be in your hands. Counting your and my 40 years in IT and around, I wouldn't post such fictitious idea
post #4889 of 9042 Old 09-25-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
I don't care what that darned light is doing, as long as I'm assured that the drive's sleeping when not in use. I'll just have to trust that if I don't feel vibration, then it's not spinning. Thanks for the input.
Yes, the drive has spun down. The slow blinking light -- annoying because it is so bright -- is the indicator the drive has spun down. Press it to your ear, access it and listen to it spin up if you need further proof.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4890 of 9042 Old 09-26-2014, 12:18 PM

Liked: 11
I want to use my CM DVR+ in my travel trailer and when I have only battery power I would prefer not to have to power it through an inverter. I gather it is a 12VDC device. Can I simply get a plug that fits it and wire it directly into my 12VDC system, or am I flirting with disaster? If there is some compatibility I need to check, what is it? I'm okay at simple 12V stuff, but not Truly Knowledgeable. Thanks.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread