213Likes

post #5221 of 5235 Old Today, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Guy View Post
Confirmed: DVR+ Incompatible with 2TB Seagate -- I bought a Seagate expansion drive (2TB) and the DVR+ could not initialize this drive. The DVR found the drive and identified it, but could not initialize it. The drive works fine on my PC. I called CM and they confirmed that the 1 and 3 TB will work but the 2TB will not. I am surprised that CM is not up-front on their website about this. I find it quite deceiving.
First, if you go to the CM store to make the purchase they do not offer the 2TB drive as a choice.
Second, on the same page in the section right below is: What are some common items I should know about DVR+?.

It states there, among other things:
Storage capacity/recording hours is dependent on the external USB hard drive connected to the DVR+ (Most external USB hard drive will be compatible but Channel Master has thoroughly tested and recommends five different Seagate Models; 500 GB (STCD500102), 1 TB (STBU1000100), 1 TB (STBX1000101), 3 TB (STCA3000101), and 3 TB (STBV3000100).

True they do not say the 2TB will not work, but perhaps another manufactures 2TB drive will work (as has been stated on this forum). They have tested and recommended 5 Seagate drives, so I do not see how they are being deceitful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 5235 Old Today, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post
First, if you go to the CM store to make the purchase they do not offer the 2TB drive as a choice.
Second, on the same page in the section right below is: What are some common items I should know about DVR+?.

Storage capacity/recording hours is dependent on the external USB hard drive connected to the DVR+ (Most external USB hard drive will be compatible but Channel Master has thoroughly tested and recommends five different Seagate Models; 500 GB (STCD500102), 1 TB (STBU1000100), 1 TB (STBX1000101), 3 TB (STCA3000101), and 3 TB (STBV3000100).

True they do not say the 2TB will not work, but perhaps another manufactures 2TB drive will work (as has been stated on this forum). They have tested and recommended 5 Seagate drives, so I do not see how they are being deceitful.

Thanks for your reply and I understand your point. However since CM recommends only Seagate drives and they are aware that 2TB does not work, then they could save customers a lot of headaches by including an additional sentence that says 'We are aware however that Seagate 2TB drives are not compatible with our product'. Part of my frustration is that I have a closet full of dead Seagate drives and it irked me to have to buy one in order to be 'safely compatible' (I assumed) and then to find out it did not work. Ughh.
post #5223 of 5235 Old Today, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

If 2TB drives are incompatible, they should specify that on the product page. Point blank. They don't. When someone calls them, they may recommend against using 2TB drives but bear in mind that business is business. There could very well be an issue with Seagate's 2TB and not with other brands. They're not about to reveal this, since potential customers may now question the overall reliability of the remainder of the drives that they're selling and/or go elsewhere to purchase an alternate 2TB drive. It's sensible (from a business aspect) to speak only positively about products that you intend to sell (and to sell what you have available).
Then there's the issue of profit. Perhaps the 1TB and 3TB are more profitable? This is pure speculation, of course but not unrealistic.
I think they may be in a precarious position. They can't tell people that the Seagate 2TB is problematic. If they do so, that person may choose to purchase another brand elsewhere vs. settling for a Seagate 1TB or opting for a 3TB, which is overkill for most people (and too costly). A 2TB drive fills a gap and truly makes good sense for many.
If indeed there's a real compatibility (or reliability) issue with the 2TB Seagate, they may have made a mistake by selling Seagate drives exclusively.
My two terabytes.....I mean cents 😊

Last edited by OTA_jay; Today at 02:59 PM.
post #5224 of 5235 Old Today, 02:57 PM

Isn't it refreshing that the pseudo Tivo thread is now being devoted to issues concerning the DVR+?
post #5225 of 5235 Old Today, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
Isn't it refreshing that the pseudo Tivo thread is now being devoted to issues concerning the DVR+?
You had to spoil it. TiVo only sells one drive on their website: https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/dvr-expander . It won't use USB but will work with it. At $130 for 1TB it's not a good choice.

I had to.
post #5226 of 5235 Old Today, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
You had to spoil it. TiVo only sells one drive on their website: https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/dvr-expander . It won't use USB but will work with it. At $130 for 1TB it's not a good choice.

I had to.
Good news.. you can get it for $89 at Amazon..
Bad news.. It's only 1TB and eSATA..
This all started over wanting to use a 2TB drive..
Good news... you can use it with a Tivo..
post #5227 of 5235 Old Today, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Just wanted to remind everyone of this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer86 View Post
I've been using a 2TB Toshiba USB powered drive since December and seems to work just fine.
So there's at least one 2TB drive that will work. I'm hoping Homer86 can post a link....
post #5228 of 5235 Old Today, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I suspect that some of the larger drives have disk geometry that might be incomprehensible to the drive controller firmware.

Also, a lot of the larger drives are Advanced Disk Format
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format
And emulate 512 byte sectors for compatibility purposes while the real sectors are 4096 bytes or possibly even more.

It might be that some of the 3TB drives will be problematic as well.
post #5229 of 5235 Old Today, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Why we're Tivo-ing again is beyond me!
BTW.....B&H is selling a WD "Elements" 3TB EHD for $91.00. It's the same as a basic "My Book" without the back-up software and comes with a shorter (one year) warranty. I was told by someone knowledgeable at B&H that it's the same exact ("green") drive that's used in the "My Book" 3TB.
The back-up software is of no value in a DVR application.
Not a bad deal at $91.00 (according to their website, this price is in effect until Nov. 15).
Certainly superior to a "portable" drive for this purpose.

Last edited by OTA_jay; Today at 06:45 PM.
post #5230 of 5235 Old Today, 07:03 PM

I see that the 1TB "My Book " mentioned earlier is actually an A/V drive , which is superior to the basic "green" drive I discussed, especially for a DVR application.
Still, the B&H "Elements" drive is certainly an upgrade from the "portable" drives.
post #5231 of 5235 Old Today, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Check the specs again, it is eSATA and USB.
Then read back a couple pages here, this drive has already been discussed as being an AV drive actually built for DVR storage and the proper tool for the job. It just keeps getting ignored because people are determined to spend as little as possible on the HDD.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5232 of 5235 Old Today, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert Souse' View Post
I suspect that some of the larger drives have disk geometry that might be incomprehensible to the drive controller firmware.

Also, a lot of the larger drives are Advanced Disk Format
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format
And emulate 512 byte sectors for compatibility purposes while the real sectors are 4096 bytes or possibly even more.

It might be that some of the 3TB drives will be problematic as well.
The truly bizarre thing is that you'd expect 1 and 2TB drives to work, while 3TB drives wouldn't, as 2TB is the cap for drives using the old Master Boot Record (MBR)-type formatting. You must use GPT to exceed the 2TB cap, so if the DVR+ only worked with 1 and 2TB drives but croaked with 3TB, there would be a reasonable explanation for the phenomenon. The fact that 1 and 3TB drives work while 2TB drives often don't provides a much deeper mystery that makes little sense and is thus less likely to be resolved, especially since CM seems to be aware of the problem yet is taking no steps to address it.
post #5233 of 5235 Old Today, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
Why we're Tivo-ing again is beyond me!
Because YOU brought it up.
You have no one else to blame.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5234 of 5235 Old Today, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
you'd expect 1 and 2TB drives to work, while 3TB drives wouldn't, as 2TB is the cap for drives using the old Master Boot Record (MBR)-type formatting. You must use GPT to exceed the 2TB cap,
That is certainly true for a Windows formatted disk but I don't know how relevant it is for a Linux ext2 formatted drive.

- kelson h

post #5235 of 5235 Old Today, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Because YOU brought it up.
You have no one else to blame.
oops.....sorry.....I was simply pointing out that the discussions here recently were being limited to the DVR+ for a change and that I appreciated it.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page