Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 176 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 222Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5251 of 5279 Old 10-23-2014, 05:18 AM
Member
 
MKS13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Hmm... must be listed under a different brand. Amazon lists the CM-branded adapter for the same price as CM: $39.99.

But this $16 one looks virtually identical: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DTZYHX4. Of course just because it looks the same doesn't mean it'll work - out of curiosity, has anyone had any luck using a 3rd-party WiFi adapter with the DVR+? (I know there was a lot of discussion about that when this thread was much younger, but I don't recall anyone ever coming up with a confirmed-compatible alternative.)
I do not think the one that your asking about will work, but I posted info on a third party wifi adapter that I bought and used. That link is no longer valid.

Here are 3 new links for that same adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVMCNZY
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GT58N3G
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KKL9BQS

In most cases they will be shipping from overseas, but with free shipping.
How they ship them from overseas for a total price from $7 to $11 beats me.
MKS13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5252 of 5279 Old 10-23-2014, 05:26 AM
Member
 
OTA_jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post
I do not think the one that your asking about will work, but I posted info on a third party wifi adapter that I bought and used. That link is no longer valid.

Here are 3 new links for that same adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVMCNZY
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GT58N3G
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KKL9BQS

In most cases they will be shipping from overseas, but with free shipping.
How they ship them from overseas for a total price from $7 to $11 beats me.
The first one on your list (Amazon ASIN: B00DVMCNZY) will ship from California if purchased from "GateShop". I received it in 3 days via USPS).
As I specified in my previous post, it's $10.85. It works perfectly with the DVR+. I'm using it myself.

Last edited by OTA_jay; 10-23-2014 at 05:32 AM.
OTA_jay is offline  
post #5253 of 5279 Old 10-23-2014, 06:32 AM
Newbie
 
Tex_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
FYI....
However, it's a WD "purple" drive. It's an A/V drive that's intended for constant (24/7) applications (specifically surveillance)...
I'm beginning to think that Channel Master may be doing their customers a disservice by recommending and selling the "portable" drives (especially Seagate). They're not truly intended for this application.

Hmm, so if I buy the DVR+ with the internal 1TB drive, I wonder if it is just a 'normal' drive (Seagate?) or one of those fancier A/V drives intended for 24/7 use. Channel Master would have a vested interest in keeping those internal-drive DVRs crash-free in order to minimize returns/customer complaints.

Last edited by Tex_Guy; 10-23-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Tex_Guy is offline  
post #5254 of 5279 Old 10-23-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 1,802
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post
I do not think the one that your asking about will work, but I posted info on a third party wifi adapter that I bought and used. That link is no longer valid.

Here are 3 new links for that same adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVMCNZY
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GT58N3G
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KKL9BQS

In most cases they will be shipping from overseas, but with free shipping.
How they ship them from overseas for a total price from $7 to $11 beats me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
The first one on your list (Amazon ASIN: B00DVMCNZY) will ship from California if purchased from "GateShop". I received it in 3 days via USPS).
As I specified in my previous post, it's $10.85. It works perfectly with the DVR+. I'm using it myself.
Thanks guys. Obviously I don't need one myself, but I'm sure a lot of others will appreciate this info.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #5255 of 5279 Old 10-23-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
I've been using a 2TB drive with perfect results (so far)!
It's been only three days but I've made numerous recordings.
However, it's a WD "purple" drive. It's an A/V drive that's intended for constant (24/7) applications (specifically surveillance). I have it in a fan cooled enclosure.
So far I've noticed that the audio (and infrequent video) glitches that occur when making two simultaneous recordings while watching a previous recording seem to be gone!.....YMMV.
'nuff said.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #5256 of 5279 Old 10-23-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
I thought that I had read something here (a while back) about the rotational speed (RPM) of an HDD being of some concern when choosing one for use with the DVR+. Insofar as the "portable" drives are concerned, they're all 5400 RPM, with the exception of the more expensive HGST's, which are 7200 RPM.
The WD "purple" drive that I specified (above) supposedly runs anywhere from 5400 - 7200 RPM (the speed supposedly varies). WD refers to this as "Intellipower".
I was just curious if the speed truly mattered when choosing a drive for the DVR+?
Is it a real issue?
AV drives are typically lower rotation speed to save power and decrease wear. The rotation speed is not the critical factor for AV drives but rather the drives capability for continuous, sustained throughput of multiple AV streams.

Given the specs of the WD AV drives vs. the WD Purple drives are pretty much identical, it is not apparent what the differences are between them other than a greater selection of sizes and form factors available for the AV drives. Both types have the Intellipower feature. Other than that the only difference I see is WD stating the purple drives are optimized for multiple HD camera inputs whereas the AV drives are stated to be optimized for smooth playback of multiple HD streams. They clearly point the Purple drives at surveillance systems and the AV drives at DVR's. Is it real or just marketing?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #5257 of 5279 Old 10-23-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 10,147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
I was just curious if the speed truly mattered when choosing a drive for the DVR+?
Is it a real issue?
Nope. I have used multiple USB 2.0/3.0 5400 drives (USB powered) while recording 4 shows and streaming 2 concurrently with an unnamed DVR... with zero issues. With the DVR+ only handling a small portion of such any drive is more than up to it.

Last edited by Charles R; 10-23-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Charles R is offline  
post #5258 of 5279 Old 10-23-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Guy View Post
Hmm, so if I buy the DVR+ with the internal 1TB drive, I wonder if it is just a 'normal' drive (Seagate?) or one of those fancier A/V drives intended for 24/7 use. Channel Master would have a vested interest in keeping those internal-drive DVRs crash-free in order to minimize returns/customer complaints.
I am curious about that also. The internal drive has to be a 2.5" form factor. The WD AV drives come in a 2.5" line with a max size of 1TB.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #5259 of 5279 Old 10-23-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
qz3fwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I am curious about that also. The internal drive has to be a 2.5" form factor. The WD AV drives come in a 2.5" line with a max size of 1TB.
Me too. I wonder if anyone has done a teardown of the 1TB internal HDD version of this DVR???? Would be cool to see what hardware they decided to put inside.
qz3fwd is online now  
post #5260 of 5279 Old 10-23-2014, 08:49 AM
Senior Member
 
MarkB49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Guy View Post
I agree and I made no conclusions about all 2TB. I simply stated that this 2TB Seagate drive does not work. You can find the details about the enclosure and controller from the model number I provided.
I have a Seagate 500 gb model ST3500312CS. Been in use
since 1-20-14. 1st bad sector occurred @ 60 hours.
If I go past it I'm ok for awhile.
This model goes with my AT&T Cisco ISB 7500 DVR.
Went to YouTube to see what was inside.
Are both Seagate and Western Digital made in China?
MarkB49 is offline  
post #5261 of 5279 Old 10-23-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 1,802
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB49 View Post
Are both Seagate and Western Digital made in China?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
In case there's any confusion, last time I checked, the WD [1 TB Passport] and HGST [1TB] aren't the same. The WD is produced in Thailand or Malaysia and the HGST is produced in China.

Regardless, Newegg has the WD My Passport Ultra, 1TB (Titanium color) priced at $59.99. Likely a short term price, so I wouldn't delay!

I've been using this particular WD drive and it's worked flawlessly with the DVR+. It's even set to spin down after 30 idle minutes.....assuming that they fix the bug that they created to defeat this option!

Here's the Newegg product number:
N82E16822236579
If you type (or paste) it in, it should access the $59.99 price for this particular drive.
HGST is owned by WD, so it appears WD uses Thai or Malaysian drives in their WD-branded products and Chinese drives in other product lines they own. I don't know if there's a quality difference though.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #5262 of 5279 Old 10-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Newbie
 
Tex_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
There's an even better deal on a WD 1TB portable drive (they play very nicely with the DVR+ and tend to be more reliable than the equivalent Seagate drives).
Newegg again.....but this is the metal version of the "My Passport Ultra".
Better construction and supposedly improved heat dissipation. Same price as the basic model ($59.99)!
Newegg product number is: N82E16822236605
Looks like a great price!! I'm not sure if you use camel camel camel, but it is nice way to check historical price history for items on Amazon for comparison shopping as well as having them e-mail you when a particular item hits your price point. I have no affiliation with them, but have just been pleased with the simplicity of the process. e.g. http://camelcamelcamel.com/Passport-...context=browse
JHBrandt likes this.
Tex_Guy is offline  
post #5263 of 5279 Old 10-23-2014, 02:20 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I bought a Toshiba Canvio Connect 1TB Model: HDTC710XK3A1SKU: 8914951 a few weeks ago at BestBuy.

I paid $49.99 in the store. It's working great so far.
dennismck is offline  
post #5264 of 5279 Old 10-23-2014, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
SEMIJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: S.E. Michgan
Posts: 586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Wait a minute.
You bought a used DVR+ off ebay which will not come with a warranty and you paid $12 more than you would of for a new one with a warranty -- because it comes with a wifi adapter that you'll never use anyway?
Perfect illustration of why I rarely participate in auctions on eBay, any more. People often bid stuff up to well beyond sane values. Or at least what *I* regard as "sane" values
SEMIJim is offline  
post #5265 of 5279 Old 10-23-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Nobody forces you to bid more than you think is reasonable. The problem with eBay's auction system is that it's biased too heavily towards the seller. The introduction of the "Buy It Now" and "Best Offer" functions mitigated that problem to some degree, as long as you can find an item of interest with those types of listings.
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #5266 of 5279 Old Yesterday, 02:29 AM
Member
 
OTA_jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Guy View Post
Looks like a great price!! I'm not sure if you use camel camel camel, but it is nice way to check historical price history for items on Amazon for comparison shopping as well as having them e-mail you when a particular item hits your price point. I have no affiliation with them, but have just been pleased with the simplicity of the process. e.g. http://camelcamelcamel.com/Passport-...context=browse
Interesting!....
Is this website designed exclusively for Amazon?
OTA_jay is offline  
post #5267 of 5279 Old Yesterday, 02:47 AM
Member
 
OTA_jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I am curious about that also. The internal drive has to be a 2.5" form factor. The WD AV drives come in a 2.5" line with a max size of 1TB.
Somehow I seriously doubt that Channel Master would use a premium drive in this unit. Especially considering the mediocre drives that they both recommend and sell.
Unfortunately, there are no "portable" A/V drives for them to recommend or sell. I can certainly understand them not recommending the larger, unattractive and cumbersome 3.5" A/V drives (not to mention the price point, especially when the unit was first introduced).
Seems obvious that the DVR+ wouldn't have seen the light of day had it not been for these small, low budget "portable" drives. Also seems that, as long as the performance was just OK, that was good enough for them.
OTA_jay is offline  
post #5268 of 5279 Old Yesterday, 02:54 AM
Member
 
OTA_jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
HGST is owned by WD, so it appears WD uses Thai or Malaysian drives in their WD-branded products and Chinese drives in other product lines they own. I don't know if there's a quality difference though.
Supposedly, the HGST (aka, Hitachi) drives aren't being produced by WD.
Supposedly they're being produced in the same factories as they were prior to their acquisition by WD.
I've never seen a WD drive produced in China. Only Thailand and Malaysia.
OTA_jay is offline  
post #5269 of 5279 Old Yesterday, 03:03 AM
Member
 
OTA_jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Guy View Post
Channel Master would have a vested interest in keeping those internal-drive DVRs crash-free in order to minimize returns/customer complaints.
If that were truly the case, why would they be recommending (and selling) the mediocre, mainstream Seagate "portable" drives for use with the DVR+?
I wouldn't give them too much credit in this area or assume that they would invest in premium drives.
As long as it clears the one year warranty hurdle, that's probably good enough for them.

Last edited by OTA_jay; Yesterday at 03:27 AM.
OTA_jay is offline  
post #5270 of 5279 Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Newbie
 
Tex_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
Interesting!....
Is this website designed exclusively for Amazon?
Yes, however their sister company (http://camelbuy.com/) is designed for Best Buy. Note that you do not need to register or have an account to use the service. Pretty cool, eh?
Tex_Guy is offline  
post #5271 of 5279 Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM
Member
 
OTA_jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Guy View Post
Yes, however their sister company (http://camelbuy.com/) is designed for Best Buy. Note that you do not need to register or have an account to use the service. Pretty cool, eh?
Thanks for the info!
OTA_jay is offline  
post #5272 of 5279 Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
frank70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Guy View Post
Looks like a great price!! I'm not sure if you use camel camel camel, but it is nice way to check historical price history for items on Amazon for comparison shopping as well as having them e-mail you when a particular item hits your price point. I have no affiliation with them, but have just been pleased with the simplicity of the process. e.g. http://camelcamelcamel.com/Passport-...context=browse
This is precisely the drive I have on my DVR+, and in spite of all the negativity in this thread about portable USB-powered drives, as soon as CM delivers the promised "fix" so that it doesn't access the drive every 3 minutes while in standby, it will once again go back to spending most of its time sleeping and not spinning, and in that kind of service, should last a very long time. The problem with these compact drives running 24/7 is that they are in very small unventilated enclosures and heat buildup will inevitably reduce the life of the electronics within, even if the bearings hold up; if sleeping, they are just perceptibly warm, and the bearings experience no wear. And the spin-up time when the DVR+ needs to start a recording just isn't an issue with this drive.

Last edited by frank70; Yesterday at 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling
frank70 is online now  
post #5273 of 5279 Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM
Member
 
OTA_jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
This is precisely the drive I have on my DVR+, and in spite of all the negativity in this thread about portable USB-powered drives, as soon as CM delivers the promised "fix" so that it doesn't access the drive every 3 minutes while in standby, it will once again go back to spending most of its time sleeping and not spinning, and in that kind of service, should last a very long time. The problem with these compact drives running 24/7 is that they are in very small unventilated enclosures and heat buildup will inevitably reduce the life of the electronics within, even if the bearings hold up; if sleeping, they are just perceptibly warm, and the bearings experience no wear. And the spin-up time when the DVR+ needs to start a recording just isn't an issue with this drive.
I agree that the question of the reliability of these "portable" drives became far more significant as a result of Channel Master's blunder but:
A) It's already been over five weeks that these drives are spinning 24/7. This could conceivably be taking a toll on them.
B) The overall performance and reliabilty will improve by using an A/V drive with the DVR+.
Since the price of the WD "My Book" 1TB DVR drive has decreased, it might make good sense to consider it as an option. As a general rule, there's now only a $10-20.00 price differential.
Personally, I'd rather use the "portable" drive for PC back-ups (as it was intended) and consider the A/V drive for use with the DVR+.
Donald1800 likes this.
OTA_jay is offline  
post #5274 of 5279 Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 1,802
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Perfect illustration of why I rarely participate in auctions on eBay, any more. People often bid stuff up to well beyond sane values. Or at least what *I* regard as "sane" values
I recently saw a CM-7000 converter box go for $71. That's about what they cost brand-new back in 2009 - and back then, most folks had a $40 government coupon to put toward it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Nobody forces you to bid more than you think is reasonable. The problem with eBay's auction system is that it's biased too heavily towards the seller. The introduction of the "Buy It Now" and "Best Offer" functions mitigated that problem to some degree, as long as you can find an item of interest with those types of listings.
It's easy to go wrong valuing a complex offer like this and overbid, especially if you're distracted or the auction is ending soon. I originally put in a more reasonable max. bid of $242, got outbid, then raised my bid on the DVR+. Remember, this is the same bundle CM sells for $300: a DVR+, WiFi adapter, and HDMI cable. Would've been worth about what I paid - if I'd actually needed that WiFi adapter. I just got confused (and forgot about the warranty).

Unfortunately, once you overbid, you're stuck. But the way eBay works, at least you don't necessarily pay your max. bid. You only pay a buck or two more than the second-highest bidder. In this case, that saved me $5

Oh well, even with that mistake I ended up with the whole setup for just under $350. It's not as if I paid $400 or more as many have.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #5275 of 5279 Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM
Member
 
OTA_jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I recently saw a CM-7000 converter box go for $71. That's about what they cost brand-new back in 2009 - and back then, most folks had a $40 government coupon to put toward it!
A CM-7000 actually has better value now than it did then. It's considered by many to be the single best DTA box ever produced (with the exception of the fact that it had capacitor issues).
There's still a demand for it. I've seen it sold new for as much as $200.00 (believe it or not)!
You'd be surprised how much some electronics go up in value!
......I only wish that they had used that tuner (or a true equivalent) in the DVR+!!.....you could get reception with a paper clip!
Donald1800 likes this.
OTA_jay is offline  
post #5276 of 5279 Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
qz3fwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
Supposedly, the HGST (aka, Hitachi) drives aren't being produced by WD.
Supposedly they're being produced in the same factories as they were prior to their acquisition by WD.
I've never seen a WD drive produced in China. Only Thailand and Malaysia.
I am not up to speed on what happened to HGST after the WD acquisition, but I hope that HGST has been left to run that side of the company independently of the WD side.

I trust and have bought many Hitachi drives and are my #1 HDD choice while WD is not even on the list and I pretty much will not buy a WD drive. Perhaps my negative experiences with WD are no longer founded, but WD and Seagate have not been reliable HDD manufcturers for me......
qz3fwd is online now  
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off