220Likes
post #5251 of 5265 Unread Yesterday, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Hmm... must be listed under a different brand. Amazon lists the CM-branded adapter for the same price as CM: $39.99.

But this $16 one looks virtually identical: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DTZYHX4. Of course just because it looks the same doesn't mean it'll work - out of curiosity, has anyone had any luck using a 3rd-party WiFi adapter with the DVR+? (I know there was a lot of discussion about that when this thread was much younger, but I don't recall anyone ever coming up with a confirmed-compatible alternative.)
The wi-fi adapter you depicted is NOT compatible with the DVR+!
However, the appropriate adapter is available through Amazon.com.
Here's the Amazon ASIN: B00DVMCNZY
Enter this number in the search bar and purchase it from "GateShop" (there are various sellers but I had good results with them). They're in California. You'll get it in 3-4 days (or possibly less).
It's $10.85!
It's identical to the Channel Master.
Simply a generic version. Tried and tested. Works perfectly!
Enjoy saving approx. $30.00 (if you can sacrifice the Channel Master logo)!

Last edited by OTA_jay; Today at 03:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5252 of 5265 Unread Yesterday, 11:56 PM

FYI....
I've been using a 2TB drive with perfect results (so far)!
It's been only three days but I've made numerous recordings.
However, it's a WD "purple" drive. It's an A/V drive that's intended for constant (24/7) applications (specifically surveillance). I have it in a fan cooled enclosure.
So far I've noticed that the audio (and infrequent video) glitches that occur when making two simultaneous recordings while watching a previous recording seem to be gone!.....YMMV.
Again, it's only three days but I'm cautiously optimistic.
Perhaps what others (namely Kelson) have suggested (using an A/V drive vs. these questionable "portable" drives) may be credible advice (in terms of performance and reliability).
BTW.....Amazon is selling the 1TB WD "My Book" A/V (DVR) drive for $89.00 currently. Bear in mind that it's not USB powered and requires it's own AC power outlet. Seems like a good choice (especially at this price point).
I'm beginning to think that Channel Master may be doing their customers a disservice by recommending and selling the "portable" drives (especially Seagate). They're not truly intended for this application. They're supposed to be used intermittently (for back-up purposes). From what I'm seeing, the performance of the DVR+ may suffer when using these drives.
In all likelihood, they recommend (and sell) them simply because they're smaller and cheaper. Reliability may very well be secondary to them (since they're not a Channel Master product). However, if the performance of the DVR+ suffers as a result of using these drives, that should certainly be of real concern to them!
Kelson, HDMI Guy and Tex_Guy like this.

Last edited by OTA_jay; Today at 03:47 AM.
post #5253 of 5265 Unread Today, 04:12 AM

I thought that I had read something here (a while back) about the rotational speed (RPM) of an HDD being of some concern when choosing one for use with the DVR+. Insofar as the "portable" drives are concerned, they're all 5400 RPM, with the exception of the more expensive HGST's, which are 7200 RPM.
The WD "purple" drive that I specified (above) supposedly runs anywhere from 5400 - 7200 RPM (the speed supposedly varies). WD refers to this as "Intellipower".
I was just curious if the speed truly mattered when choosing a drive for the DVR+?
Is it a real issue?

Last edited by OTA_jay; Today at 04:21 AM.
post #5254 of 5265 Unread Today, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Hmm... must be listed under a different brand. Amazon lists the CM-branded adapter for the same price as CM: $39.99.

But this $16 one looks virtually identical: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DTZYHX4. Of course just because it looks the same doesn't mean it'll work - out of curiosity, has anyone had any luck using a 3rd-party WiFi adapter with the DVR+? (I know there was a lot of discussion about that when this thread was much younger, but I don't recall anyone ever coming up with a confirmed-compatible alternative.)
I do not think the one that your asking about will work, but I posted info on a third party wifi adapter that I bought and used. That link is no longer valid.

Here are 3 new links for that same adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVMCNZY
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GT58N3G
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KKL9BQS

In most cases they will be shipping from overseas, but with free shipping.
How they ship them from overseas for a total price from $7 to $11 beats me.
post #5255 of 5265 Unread Today, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post
I do not think the one that your asking about will work, but I posted info on a third party wifi adapter that I bought and used. That link is no longer valid.

The first one on your list (Amazon ASIN: B00DVMCNZY) will ship from California if purchased from "GateShop". I received it in 3 days via USPS).
As I specified in my previous post, it's $10.85. It works perfectly with the DVR+. I'm using it myself.

Last edited by OTA_jay; Today at 05:32 AM.
post #5256 of 5265 Unread Today, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
FYI....
However, it's a WD "purple" drive. It's an A/V drive that's intended for constant (24/7) applications (specifically surveillance)...
I'm beginning to think that Channel Master may be doing their customers a disservice by recommending and selling the "portable" drives (especially Seagate). They're not truly intended for this application.

Hmm, so if I buy the DVR+ with the internal 1TB drive, I wonder if it is just a 'normal' drive (Seagate?) or one of those fancier A/V drives intended for 24/7 use. Channel Master would have a vested interest in keeping those internal-drive DVRs crash-free in order to minimize returns/customer complaints.

Last edited by Tex_Guy; Today at 06:51 AM.
post #5257 of 5265 Unread Today, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post

Quote:
The first one on your list (Amazon ASIN: B00DVMCNZY) will ship from California if purchased from "GateShop". I received it in 3 days via USPS).
As I specified in my previous post, it's $10.85. It works perfectly with the DVR+. I'm using it myself.
Thanks guys. Obviously I don't need one myself, but I'm sure a lot of others will appreciate this info.
post #5258 of 5265 Unread Today, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
I've been using a 2TB drive with perfect results (so far)!
It's been only three days but I've made numerous recordings.
However, it's a WD "purple" drive. It's an A/V drive that's intended for constant (24/7) applications (specifically surveillance). I have it in a fan cooled enclosure.
So far I've noticed that the audio (and infrequent video) glitches that occur when making two simultaneous recordings while watching a previous recording seem to be gone!.....YMMV.
'nuff said.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5259 of 5265 Unread Today, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I thought that I had read something here (a while back) about the rotational speed (RPM) of an HDD being of some concern when choosing one for use with the DVR+. Insofar as the "portable" drives are concerned, they're all 5400 RPM, with the exception of the more expensive HGST's, which are 7200 RPM.
The WD "purple" drive that I specified (above) supposedly runs anywhere from 5400 - 7200 RPM (the speed supposedly varies). WD refers to this as "Intellipower".
I was just curious if the speed truly mattered when choosing a drive for the DVR+?
Is it a real issue?
AV drives are typically lower rotation speed to save power and decrease wear. The rotation speed is not the critical factor for AV drives but rather the drives capability for continuous, sustained throughput of multiple AV streams.

Given the specs of the WD AV drives vs. the WD Purple drives are pretty much identical, it is not apparent what the differences are between them other than a greater selection of sizes and form factors available for the AV drives. Both types have the Intellipower feature. Other than that the only difference I see is WD stating the purple drives are optimized for multiple HD camera inputs whereas the AV drives are stated to be optimized for smooth playback of multiple HD streams. They clearly point the Purple drives at surveillance systems and the AV drives at DVR's. Is it real or just marketing?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5260 of 5265 Unread Today, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Is it a real issue?
Nope. I have used multiple USB 2.0/3.0 5400 drives (USB powered) while recording 4 shows and streaming 2 concurrently with an unnamed DVR... with zero issues. With the DVR+ only handling a small portion of such any drive is more than up to it.

Last edited by Charles R; Today at 07:34 AM.
post #5261 of 5265 Unread Today, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Guy View Post
Hmm, so if I buy the DVR+ with the internal 1TB drive, I wonder if it is just a 'normal' drive (Seagate?) or one of those fancier A/V drives intended for 24/7 use. Channel Master would have a vested interest in keeping those internal-drive DVRs crash-free in order to minimize returns/customer complaints.
I am curious about that also. The internal drive has to be a 2.5" form factor. The WD AV drives come in a 2.5" line with a max size of 1TB.

- kelson h

post #5262 of 5265 Unread Today, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I am curious about that also. The internal drive has to be a 2.5" form factor. The WD AV drives come in a 2.5" line with a max size of 1TB.
Me too. I wonder if anyone has done a teardown of the 1TB internal HDD version of this DVR???? Would be cool to see what hardware they decided to put inside.
post #5263 of 5265 Unread Today, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Guy View Post
I agree and I made no conclusions about all 2TB. I simply stated that this 2TB Seagate drive does not work. You can find the details about the enclosure and controller from the model number I provided.
I have a Seagate 500 gb model ST3500312CS. Been in use
since 1-20-14. 1st bad sector occurred @ 60 hours.
If I go past it I'm ok for awhile.
This model goes with my AT&T Cisco ISB 7500 DVR.
Went to YouTube to see what was inside.
Are both Seagate and Western Digital made in China?
post #5264 of 5265 Unread Today, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB49 View Post
Are both Seagate and Western Digital made in China?
Quote:
In case there's any confusion, last time I checked, the WD [1 TB Passport] and HGST [1TB] aren't the same. The WD is produced in Thailand or Malaysia and the HGST is produced in China.

Regardless, Newegg has the WD My Passport Ultra, 1TB (Titanium color) priced at $59.99. Likely a short term price, so I wouldn't delay!

I've been using this particular WD drive and it's worked flawlessly with the DVR+. It's even set to spin down after 30 idle minutes.....assuming that they fix the bug that they created to defeat this option!

Here's the Newegg product number:
N82E16822236579
If you type (or paste) it in, it should access the $59.99 price for this particular drive.
HGST is owned by WD, so it appears WD uses Thai or Malaysian drives in their WD-branded products and Chinese drives in other product lines they own. I don't know if there's a quality difference though.
post #5265 of 5265 Unread Today, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
There's an even better deal on a WD 1TB portable drive (they play very nicely with the DVR+ and tend to be more reliable than the equivalent Seagate drives).
Newegg again.....but this is the metal version of the "My Passport Ultra".
Better construction and supposedly improved heat dissipation. Same price as the basic model ($59.99)!
Newegg product number is: N82E16822236605
Looks like a great price!! I'm not sure if you use camel camel camel, but it is nice way to check historical price history for items on Amazon for comparison shopping as well as having them e-mail you when a particular item hits your price point. I have no affiliation with them, but have just been pleased with the simplicity of the process. e.g. http://camelcamelcamel.com/Passport-...context=browse
JHBrandt likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page