Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 178 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 745Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5311 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Newbie
 
adam_beers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
Have you tried another remote with this unit?
If it's the remote itself, why send in the entire unit (you did specify "unit", not remote).....unless of course you've somehow determined that the unit itself is truly defective.
Shouldn't they simply replace the remote (at least for starters)?
They told me to send the remote and the unit back. Otherwise I would have just sent the remote.
adam_beers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5312 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 10:17 AM
Senior Member
 
wiscojim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 137
The following are my opinions and observations on the continued evolution of this product and this thread that I'll share now, but not plan to waste any more time on following up with further responses until I see real changes by CM. There has been way too much useless debating going on here already. I think some of you could certainly stop repeating your views ad nauseum, and start trying to make this thread a bit more productive by getting back to communicating with CM on faults and corrections to get the DVR+ where it should be. Certainly if there are drive compatibility issues, CM by now is aware and addressing it. There are other issues with the DVR+ that have been reported right away by the early purchasers that still haven't been addressed that keep people unhappy with this product, and also deter others from buying one.

I keep seeing posts over and over essentially saying that CM only "supports" a few of the Seagate drives, and none other. As in many other circumstances, it all depends on how you define "supports". A great deal has been made of this, and from what I see the words "support" and "recommended" are often interpreted quite differently by posters in this forum. In fact, CM has never released a list of drives that they "support" and a list of drives that they don't "support" in regards to how well a drive will perform (or not perform) with the DVR+.

It really appeared from the start that they have a partnership with Seagate only in the sense that they bought certain Seagate drives for resale, so as to have something to offer for those who want to buy everything from one source.

I never saw CM come right out and state that the DVR+ is only certain to work with the specific Seagate drives they sell "recommended" for the DVR+. All references assuring that those particular Seagate drives will work with this unit are certainly made for marketing purposes, to get consumers to buy directly from CM. Their product sales page only indicates that you need to hook up the DVR+ to a "USB external hard drive for full DVR functionality". It doesn't state that you need to hook it up to one of only a few select Seagate products or your installation won't work correctly. I myself believe that when selecting a drive to be used with an A/V device it only makes sense to buy an A/V drive. Why buy a drive designed for any other purpose?

One person here found a 2TB Seagate drive did not work with his DVR+, and has started frenzy over 2TB drive compatibility. If in fact the drive he tried failed, that says nothing about Seagate or 2TB drives in general. He could have simply obtained a lemon drive, or made a mistake in installation that he overlooked with a drive that may have actually been fine.

As far as Seagate reliability as a general manufacturer of drives compared to other brands, yes Seagate statistically appears to have a problem with a much higher failure rate than some other brands. I would be cautious about archiving things I want to keep on a Seagate drive. I also believe that backing up a drive if important things is smart. I'll buy and use what I am comfortable with, others should do the same. But blacklisting anything because someone else has experienced trouble with it is being a "Chicken Little". There is no way to prove that the other person's bad experience wasn't something they had done incorrectly that may not be repeatable by other people.

And all the talk here of what was interpreted from being told certain things by certain people (CM support, sales clerks, etc.) is to be taken with a grain of salt. This is the same reason hearsay is not admissable in court. The stories can become confused, misinterpreted, and often lack of any real truthful substance from the originator.

Interpretations made by some here on what CM support supposedly told them continue to try to sway people either towards or away from Seagate and/or 2TB drives in general. It sounded more like CM has only had experience with the drives they sell, and has no knowledge of whether the DVR+ will not work correctly with other drives. If they had that knowledge, they would have worked to find a quick solution rather than face the uproar from upset customers.

In reality, there is no reason why a device designed to work with a generic USB connected A/V drive should be so fussy as to reject a 2TB drive of the same series as the 1TB and 3TB drives. (No, it's got nothing at all to do with the number of platters in the drives. The 2TB drive had the same number of platters as one of the original Seagate drives first marketed with the DVR+.)

Many people also seem to think that the DVR+ should be used with USB powered drives only, although the earliest drives sold with the DVR+s were powered from the AC line. I truly believe that not stressing the DVR+ power supply with running a USB powered drive is a smart move, and actually preferred a non-USB powered drive when I bought my DVR+.

The continued USB drive debates here are getting way too repetitive with just a few people claiming over and over forced into a position to defend themselves that Seagates are crap, CM says Seagates are preferred, 2TB drives won't work, 2TB drives do work, etc. If CM DVR+s truly have a problem with USB drive compatibility, you wouldn't have so many happy reviews on the net, with virtually no complaints except from a few here on this particular forum.

Let's end the rehashing of the USB drive issues that may be related to dud drives or possible incorrect usage or installation. Let's get back to what CM needs to do to the firmware to correct major issues in user friendliness that have been there from the very start, such as how the unit works as compared to how the unit could work much better with a few tweaks.

Also, some comments on the vudu/Pandora functions: So many other (very cheap) units do the same internet smart features, and do them so well, that I believe the CM DVR+ does not need to waste time on trying to get more providers added. Roku and other branded products do this job very well and have the structure in place to run an almost unlimited number of service providers already. Trying to compete with the other well-established and nearly perfected internet boxes and having that as a feature on this DVR is obviously not a good selling point. For CM to waste any effort on adding a few more providers is foolish and unnecessary, they should drop this feature altogether. This should be a DVR, not a smart box. Get the DVR working correctly first, and then create a smart box separately if it seems marketable. Some people here complain that we shouldn't expect so much from a budget DVR as far as DVR features go, yet I'd rather see the DVR functions work well and not be spending money on these (few) unnecessary internet features.
.
Donald1800 likes this.
wiscojim is offline  
post #5313 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 10:29 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtribb View Post
I am experiencing the slow/no response from the remote. Did I miss a fix for this?
I had the same problem.
I took out the batteries and expanded the spring that is under them, and now it seems to work fine.
dennismck is offline  
post #5314 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,679
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Is this not clear enough?
Quote:
What are some common items I should know about DVR+?
  • Storage capacity/recording hours is dependent on the external USB hard drive connected to the DVR+ (Most external USB hard drive will be compatible but Channel Master has thoroughly tested and recommends five different Seagate Models; 500 GB (STCD500102), 1 TB (STBU1000100), 1 TB (STBX1000101), 3 TB (STCA3000101), and 3 TB (STBV3000100)
Quote:
What are some common items I should know about the Seagate 1TB external hard drive?
  • This product has been thoroughly tested and is certified compatible with the DVR+
  • While most standard external USB hard drives will be compatible with the DVR+, Channel Master does not guarantee performance standards

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine


Last edited by Kelson; 10-27-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Kelson is offline  
post #5315 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,277
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Impressions aside, CM sells and supports a short list of HDD's for their DVR+. The Seagate drives are more than just a suggested brand -- they are the officially approved and supported HDD's for the DVR+. If their focus is on making their system as reliable as possible they will adjust their firmware to correct glitches with the drives they support.
The problem is that there shouldn't be such a thing as a "supported" drive in the first place. That's like buying an OEM PC from Dell and having Dell say, "Only use this PC with a Dell monitor, or your display might be blank!" The whole point of universal standards like VGA, DVI, and HDMI for monitors, and USB and SATA for HDDs, is that they are supposed to be compatible with any device which supports those standards. If companies start implementing restrictions that cause universal standards to no longer work correctly, whether those restrictions are intentional or the result of bugs, such restrictions are unacceptable and outrageous.

If you want to make your products incompatible with other companies' peripherals, then go the Apple route and use proprietary connectors so that your customers know what they're getting themselves into. Don't gimp your product so that only certain brands of universal peripherals function correctly.
Donald1800 likes this.
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #5316 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
It may be that they have determined that the reliability of their DVR+/Seagate system is increased by forcing the drives to keep spinning -- hence firmware 111R.
Yes, it may be, but I think you're giving CM way too much credit here. The change in 111R makes no sense at all if you're using one of CM's drives. Since they're not sold with spin-down enabled, the 111R change has no effect on them whatsoever!

It's clear the DVR+ was designed to, and does, work with most USB-attached drives. It's far more likely that CM just got a good deal with Seagate, whose drives may not be the world's best but are fine for the DVR+, so that's what they sell. Folks who dislike Seagate are free to use other brands, and WD drives have been shown to work very well with the DVR+ also.

I think everyone here understands that if you have a problem with a 3rd-party drive, then you need to contact the drive manufacturer, not CM. Nobody reasonably expects CM to "support" 3rd-party DVR+ accessories in that manner. But what we're talking about with 111R isn't a drive problem; it's a small problem with the firmware that has the effect of defeating a function of many drives (apparently even CM drives - but only if software-enabled).

Now to me, the fact that drives don't spin down with 111R isn't that big a deal. I'm much more concerned about the audio dropouts and video freezes some have reported. But no one has yet offered a remotely plausible reason for the no-spin-down change. It seems far more likely that it was a mistake, or at least an unintended consequence of another change.

Didn't 111R supposedly add a "hot swap" feature so you could disconnect/reconnect a HDD without rebooting? Maybe that's what triggered this every-3-minute "ping" to the HDD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
One person here found a 2TB Seagate drive did not work with his DVR+, and has started frenzy over 2TB drive compatibility. If in fact the drive he tried failed, that says nothing about Seagate or 2TB drives in general. He could have simply obtained a lemon drive, or made a mistake in installation that he overlooked with a drive that may have actually been fine.
To be fair, that person did say his 2TB Seagate worked fine on a PC, although the DVR+ wouldn't recognize it. But it's true that a lot of folks jumped to the conclusion that the DVR+ wouldn't work with any 2TB drive, even though that's been debunked several times now.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #5317 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The problem is that there shouldn't be such a thing as a "supported" drive in the first place. That's like buying an OEM PC from Dell and having Dell say, "Only use this PC with a Dell monitor, or your display might be blank!"
Interestingly, that's exactly what IBM did when they put the very first IBM PC on the market! To be fair, you could use a composite monitor with their CGA card, but if you wanted an 80-column display (B&W or color), you had to buy their monitor. (VGA was originally an IBM proprietary "standard" too!)

But at least IBM didn't try to stop other manufacturers from adopting their display standards, so they did become "universal" over time. I give IBM credit for that.

Anyway - back to the topic at hand - with 111R, I think we're talking about a bug, not a deliberate attempt to piss off WD drive users. CM may, however, consider it too minor to fix.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #5318 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
Many people also seem to think that the DVR+ should be used with USB powered drives only, although the earliest drives sold with the DVR+s were powered from the AC line. I truly believe that not stressing the DVR+ power supply with running a USB powered drive is a smart move, and actually preferred a non-USB powered drive when I bought my DVR+.
I agree, and ended up taking my own advice from about 20 posts ago. I'm using an AC-powered duplicating dock. It's not a mirroring dock like the one I posted, but it does let me back up my DVR+ drive without having to unplug it and put it in a PC.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #5319 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,679
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Nobody reasonably expects CM to "support" 3rd-party DVR+ accessories in that manner.
Actually, this whole thing started back here with an objection to CM's statement of exactly that.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #5320 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
 
OTA_jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_beers View Post
They told me to send the remote and the unit back. Otherwise I would have just sent the remote.
They should have simply sent you a new remote (least path of resistance).
Who's piloting the plane at this company (or at least in the service dept.) 😴

Last edited by OTA_jay; 10-27-2014 at 04:16 PM.
OTA_jay is offline  
post #5321 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Newbie
 
adam_beers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismck View Post
I had the same problem.
I took out the batteries and expanded the spring that is under them, and now it seems to work fine.
I tried that to no avail. I tested the batteries and they were both at 3V and both worked well with a direct connection to a 3V LED. I know it's not the batteries also by testing the TV buttons on the remote and they work flawlessly.
adam_beers is offline  
post #5322 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 04:02 PM
Senior Member
 
OTA_jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
It may be that they have determined that the reliability of their DVR+/Seagate system is increased by forcing the drives to keep spinning -- hence firmware 111R. If that is true and it wasn't a code error, don't expect them to change it. When one uses a non-supported HDD, one assumes the burden of support.

I still feel it is a bad choice to use a portable drive made for backups on a DVR expected to supply 3 simultaneous HD streams, but it does fit with the cost-consciousness of their target market.
Just to put things into perspective.....
The Seagate drives were always spinning constantly (unless the end user made changes to it on a PC prior to using it, which wouldn't be the norm).
Perhaps this was why they chose Seagate as their "recommended" brand at the outset. There's even the likely possibility that what they're calling an error was actually intentional.
Perhaps there was a glitch with certain drives (in terms of a spin-up "misfire") that would be resolved by forcing these particular drives to spin constantly.This is pure speculation but how could they manage to unintentionally cause drives to do this? Seems bizarre, doesn't it?
Now perhaps they're doing an "about face" due to all of the complaints from WD users, since there seem to be no issues with them spinning down during idle periods.

Insofar as choosing hard drives is concerned, there's no doubt that using an A/V drive improves the performance of the DVR+. This comes from personal experience. My WD 2TB (with the emphasis on 2TB) "purple" drive has not only overcome the 2TB issue (or perhaps myth) but I'm seeing none of the glitches that were occurring when I was using "portable" drives.
IMHO, their recommendation of the much smaller and sexier "portable" drives was a trade off. The cost was less (making the "package" more attractive to the mainstream consumer) and these drives are much smaller and less cumbersome than the bulky, enclosed A/V drives.
There have been numerous reports here of glitches with the "recommended" Seagate drives used with the DVR+. Although the WD "portable" drives may be a better option (in terms of reliability), the performance with these type of drives with the DVR+ is still questionable.

Last edited by OTA_jay; 10-27-2014 at 04:12 PM.
OTA_jay is offline  
post #5323 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 04:09 PM
Newbie
 
jsdevops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
This will take a while and might not work, but it's worth a try:

Plug in the 2 or 3 TB drive and let the DVR+ format it the way it likes. Then, using a Linux PC or ext2fsd on a Windows PC, plug in both the old and new drives and transfer all files from the 1 TB drive to the corresponding partitions on the new one. Finally, plug the new drive back into the DVR+ and see if it will access your recordings. If it works, you can reformat the 1 TB drive as desired for your PC.

I tested this procedure moving all of the data from a 500GB disk to a 1TB disk. The procedure does work. There were two partitions. The smaller one contains the recording meta data and the larger one contains the video files. The only caveat is that you must overwrite all of the files on the larger (1TB) disk. I looked at some of the meta data that was on the disk and it does not appear that there is any easy way to merge the data on the two disks. So if all you want to do is upgrade to a larger disk you should be fine. The DVR+ showed everything exactly the same on the two disks except for the space used. Also all of the recordings on the larger disk could still be resumed from the last point were viewing was stopped.
jsdevops is offline  
post #5324 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 04:35 PM
Senior Member
 
OTA_jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The problem is that there shouldn't be such a thing as a "supported" drive in the first place. That's like buying an OEM PC from Dell and having Dell say, "Only use this PC with a Dell monitor, or your display might be blank!" The whole point of universal standards like VGA, DVI, and HDMI for monitors, and USB and SATA for HDDs, is that they are supposed to be compatible with any device which supports those standards. If companies start implementing restrictions that cause universal standards to no longer work correctly, whether those restrictions are intentional or the result of bugs, such restrictions are unacceptable and outrageous.

If you want to make your products incompatible with other companies' peripherals, then go the Apple route and use proprietary connectors so that your customers know what they're getting themselves into. Don't gimp your product so that only certain brands of universal peripherals function correctly.
It almost surprises me that Channel Master didn't have Seagate (or some other drive manufacturer) simply re-brand a set of drives with the Channel Master logo (as they did with the wi-fi adapters) 😳
OTA_jay is offline  
post #5325 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,277
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
It almost surprises me that Channel Master didn't have Seagate simply re-brand a set of drives with the Channel Master logo
Shhh. Don't give them any ideas. They'll start charging twice as much for those, too, while making sure even more unapproved drives don't work.
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #5326 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
frank70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,238
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Didn't 111R supposedly add a "hot swap" feature so you could disconnect/reconnect a HDD without rebooting? Maybe that's what triggered this every-3-minute "ping" to the HDD.
Except that you must explicitly un-mount the drive from the DVR menu (DVR Setup/Disconnect External Drive) before unplugging it; so just like with Windows, you can't safely remove it without that step or all bets are off. I can't imagine why that would require accessing the drive every 3 minutes (also, the cycle is a ping at 2.5 minutes, and then another 0.5 minutes later, all very strange.)
pachinko likes this.
frank70 is online now  
post #5327 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 04:49 PM
Senior Member
 
OTA_jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Anyway - back to the topic at hand - with 111R, I think we're talking about a bug, not a deliberate attempt to piss off WD drive users. CM may, however, consider it too minor to fix.
Perhaps not an attempt to "piss off" WD users but it still may have been intentional vs. a "bug".
Regardless, they've made it abundantly clear that their intentions are to fix it with the next update (in numerous responses via e-mail).
I certainly wouldn't consider it "minor", as these drives aren't intended for constant run scenarios (the Seagate's are no exception to this rule).
My question is......why can't they simply provide an interim patch to resolve this problem vs. forcing our drives to wait for the eventual full blown update?

Last edited by OTA_jay; 10-27-2014 at 06:56 PM.
OTA_jay is offline  
post #5328 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
OTA_jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Shhh. Don't give them any ideas. They'll start charging twice as much for those, too, while making sure even more unapproved drives don't work.
I think you may have shed new light on this subject. It wouldn't be profitable enough for them to sell re-branded "portable" drives. They're much too mainstream and too inexpensive.
The more obscure wi-fi adapters are another story altogether.
They're charging $40.00 and their cost is likely $5.00.....a good assumption, since the same adapter (minus the Channel Master logo) sells for $10.00 on Amazon! 😳

Last edited by OTA_jay; 10-28-2014 at 01:51 AM.
OTA_jay is offline  
post #5329 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
 
OTA_jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdevops View Post
I tested this procedure moving all of the data from a 500GB disk to a 1TB disk. The procedure does work. There were two partitions. The smaller one contains the recording meta data and the larger one contains the video files. The only caveat is that you must overwrite all of the files on the larger (1TB) disk. I looked at some of the meta data that was on the disk and it does not appear that there is any easy way to merge the data on the two disks. So if all you want to do is upgrade to a larger disk you should be fine. The DVR+ showed everything exactly the same on the two disks except for the space used. Also all of the recordings on the larger disk could still be resumed from the last point were viewing was stopped.
This sounds promising!
I've been struggling with this for some time.
jsdevops: I sent you a private message regarding this. Please be so kind as to read it and respond. Thank you!

Last edited by OTA_jay; 10-27-2014 at 07:36 PM.
OTA_jay is offline  
post #5330 of 7353 Old 10-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Senior Member
 
OTA_jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I agree, and ended up taking my own advice from about 20 posts ago. I'm using an AC-powered duplicating dock. It's not a mirroring dock like the one I posted, but it does let me back up my DVR+ drive without having to unplug it and put it in a PC.
You specified that you're able to "back up" your DVR+ drive. Does this mean that you're able to make an exact duplicate of the drive to another one? Leaving everything intact?
What type of drives does this dock accommodate?
Does it provide USB ports (for portable drives to be copied)?
I'm confused (since I'm unfamiliar with these devices).....could you provide more specific details. Thank you!
OTA_jay is offline  
post #5331 of 7353 Old 10-28-2014, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
SEMIJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: S.E. Michgan
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
Insofar as choosing hard drives is concerned, there's no doubt that using an A/V drive improves the performance of the DVR+.
That would leave out CM's recommended/supported drives, as every one of them is a backup/expansion device not unlike the WD My Passport series products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
This comes from personal experience. My WD 2TB (with the emphasis on 2TB)
And on "WD"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
"purple" drive has not only overcome the 2TB issue (or perhaps myth) but I'm seeing none of the glitches that were occurring when I was using "portable" drives.
What kinds of "glitches" were you experiencing, again?

Jim
SEMIJim is online now  
post #5332 of 7353 Old 10-28-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,679
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
What type of drives does this dock accommodate?
Does it provide USB ports (for portable drives to be copied)?
I'm confused (since I'm unfamiliar with these devices).....could you provide more specific details.
If you go to Amazon or NewEgg and look up drive docks there are a bunch of products you can look through to get a feel. They are kind of cool but butt-ugly. They are basically a bare HDD docking station. Depending on the model, it has one or multiple slots for you to plug a bare drive in (2.5 or 3.5). connections are USB and/or eSATA. Some multi-drive models act as hubs, some act as drive duplicators, some act as RAID arrays (RAID 1 is drive mirroring). There are all types.

They are basically an open-air drive enclosure. You can't get better cooling than an open-air HDD sticking its nose in a dock. They are designed to allow for easy switching of drives if you have a library of bare drives to cycle through. The drawback is they are ugly and not something you want showing in your home theater area. The exposed drives are also dust magnets if they sit in the dock for prolonged periods.

Personally I don't have a use for one because I am not one to switch drives around once I put one into service.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #5333 of 7353 Old 10-28-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I think everyone here understands that if you have a problem with a 3rd-party drive, then you need to contact the drive manufacturer, not CM. Nobody reasonably expects CM to "support" 3rd-party DVR+ accessories in that manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Actually, this whole thing started back here with an objection to CM's statement of exactly that.
What I was trying to say was that no one expects to be able to send a non-working WD Passport drive to CM and expect them to replace it, since CM didn't sell them the WD Passport. If that wasn't clear I apologize.

But as for whether CM should dig in there heels and refuse to remove this every-3-minute-wake-up annoyance from firmware version 111R simply because "it only affects 3rd-party drives that we don't support," that would indeed seem to do their company's image no good.

Unless, of course, there's a good reason for the annoyance being there. That's still possible, I suppose, although neither CM nor anyone else has yet made a plausible case for it.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #5334 of 7353 Old 10-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello

I am new to the forum. I have the Channel Master DVR+ (for several months). I am having a problem where after I set the DVR to record all episodes of a program (let just say "The Simpsons"). After about 2 weeks, even though it shows up as a reoccuring event, no shows record and none are indicated by the triangle on the channel guide.

Is this something others are seeing and is there a patch or work around ?
jmilutinovic is offline  
post #5335 of 7353 Old 10-28-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
Except that you must explicitly un-mount the drive from the DVR menu (DVR Setup/Disconnect External Drive) before unplugging it; so just like with Windows, you can't safely remove it without that step or all bets are off. I can't imagine why that would require accessing the drive every 3 minutes (also, the cycle is a ping at 2.5 minutes, and then another 0.5 minutes later, all very strange.)
Thanks. Remember, I still have 108R on mine....

Besides, even a "rogue" dismount or mount should be detected and handled immediately, so these "pings" aren't needed for that purpose. I was thinking they were more likely an unintended side-effect of the new feature - in which case they can and should be removed in the next release.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #5336 of 7353 Old 10-28-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 2,120
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 148
while no one did open DVR+ model with internal HDD, I did post info about the drive inside of UK variant HDT-610R: Hitachi 500 GB
P Smith is offline  
post #5337 of 7353 Old 10-28-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,679
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
But as for whether CM should dig in there heels and refuse to remove this every-3-minute-wake-up annoyance from firmware version 111R simply because "it only affects 3rd-party drives that we don't support," that would indeed seem to do their company's image no good.

Unless, of course, there's a good reason for the annoyance being there.
That is the missing piece of information that we will likely never obtain -- what was the rationale of the engineers for implementing the code. CSR's and marketing guys will make up and tell you anything they think will appease you when an issue comes up they don't have a script for. Perhaps I argue from ignorance but the periodic HDD ping simply seems far to deliberate to be something that was the result of a coding accident -- and if it is deliberate there has to be a reason. To me, it is the kind of thing an engineer puts in when he wants to insure that any HDD that is attached to the DVR+ remains in a spin-up state. The Seagate drives come out of the box configured to spin and not shut down by themselves. WD drives have become popular for the DVR+ and do auto-spin down. The HDD ping prevents users from changing the Seagate behavior with software -- it also negates the same for WD or any other "green" drive. Why that may be deliberate code probably has to do with their assessment of recording reliability -- which the DVR+ has problems with for some people. Reliability issues result in calls to customer service, complaints and negative comments on public forums.

We may never know what the engineers know or the results of their testing. Let's not forget the DVR+ is not a ground-up design but an adaptation of an existing European model's hardware that I'm sure they have had years of experience with.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #5338 of 7353 Old 10-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
 
OTA_jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
That would leave out CM's recommended/supported drives, as every one of them is a backup/expansion device not unlike the WD My Passport series products.


And on "WD"


What kinds of "glitches" were you experiencing, again?

Jim
The glitches were primarily while recording two shows while watching a previous recording. As reported here by myself and others, there would be frequent audio drop-outs and less frequent video issues. This was consistent (under these conditions). In addition (although there seemed to be some improvement with 111R), there would be what I could best describe as "skips" in the video/audio.
The general blame here was the infrastructure of the DVR+.
Seems to have been completely eliminated when I switched to the WD "purple" (A/V type) drive!

What specifically did you mean by:
"and on WD"?

Last edited by OTA_jay; 10-28-2014 at 01:12 PM.
OTA_jay is offline  
post #5339 of 7353 Old 10-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Senior Member
 
OTA_jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
That is the missing piece of information that we will likely never obtain -- what was the rationale of the engineers for implementing the code. CSR's and marketing guys will make up and tell you anything they think will appease you when an issue comes up they don't have a script for. Perhaps I argue from ignorance but the periodic HDD ping simply seems far to deliberate to be something that was the result of a coding accident -- and if it is deliberate there has to be a reason. To me, it is the kind of thing an engineer puts in when he wants to insure that any HDD that is attached to the DVR+ remains in a spin-up state. The Seagate drives come out of the box configured to spin and not shut down by themselves. WD drives have become popular for the DVR+ and do auto-spin down. The HDD ping prevents users from changing the Seagate behavior with software -- it also negates the same for WD or any other "green" drive. Why that may be deliberate code probably has to do with their assessment of recording reliability -- which the DVR+ has problems with for some people. Reliability issues result in calls to customer service, complaints and negative comments on public forums.

We may never know what the engineers know or the results of their testing. Let's not forget the DVR+ is not a ground-up design but an adaptation of an existing European model's hardware that I'm sure they have had years of experience with.
I had specified this here recently (but in a somewhat less professional version). Thanks, Kelson (as usual) for your valuable input!
All things being equal, should they revert back to the original "sleep" feature.....as promised, it would be prudent for Seagate users to consider giving these poor, overworked drives a break! From what I've read here, the "sleep" feature can be implemented on these drives on a PC. This will allow these "restless" drives to stop spinning during idle periods.
Some of these drives have been spinning for approx. 10 months!!
Can you say "crash"?!
OTA_jay is offline  
post #5340 of 7353 Old 10-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
SEMIJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: S.E. Michgan
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
What specifically did you mean by:
"and on WD"?
You had written "emphasis on purple." I added "and on WD," since some folks would have us believe that, unless you use the brand of drive CM blesses, you'll develop athlete's foot, your cat/dog/goldfish/whatever will die, your wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/whatever will leave you and an angel will lose its wings

Jim
SEMIJim is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off