Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIppolito View Post
OTA_Jay,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you (or anyone else) think scanning the cable band for HDTV channels would be a useful feature? Don't most cable providers have the HDTV locals somewhere in their band? If ChannelMaster provided this capability, wouldn't a lot of people use their DVR+ as a tuner / DVR, and use their basic cable as the source? Wouldn't that open up a lot of potential customers (like apartment dwellers) for them?

Thanks,
Ron
I think what you are saying is: "can the DVR+ support cable?". I hope not. First, the frequencies are different past 13. Then there is the trend toward scrambling cable signals and the need for a cable card.

Your CBS channel transmits on channel 39. Your cable feed can send it on ANY channel and let the PSIP move it to 4.1 where you can watch it.

And then there are cable internet only people who feel that the clear QAM channels that "happen" to be picked up on their TV are "free". To post more would take me off topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 5416 Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I'm guessing by "new episodes" they mean "episodes I haven't recorded yet" rather than "episodes never aired before." (Based on my experience, that's what WMC means by "new," so that seems reasonable.) If so, they could implement this feature even with a PSIP-based guide: just check the episode title, see if it's already listed in the metadata file, and if not, record it!
I doubt this would work very well. PSIP does not have a dedicated field for episode titles (only program names, which are always the same). It's possible for whoever provides the guide data to include the episode title in the program's description, but how would CM know what to look for? The name might be in quotes, it might not be in quotes, it might be followed by a colon, or it might be followed by a period. There is no good way for CM to parse the PSIP guide to detect episodes titles, since there is no standard way for displaying them. More importantly, most PSIP guides don't have episode titles at all and only display a paragraph of plot summary for the episode.

This would only work if the Internet guide is getting changed to have a dedicated episode title field, and if the Internet guide were getting changed, anyway, then they might as well just include a "new" flag to denote previously unaired episodes, in which case episode titles would become irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
PSIP is unacceptable to me!
Would you rather have a bad guide and the ability to record by channel and time or a good guide and a DVR that doesn't record when the guide says it should, due to firmware bugs? The reviews of the latest firmware haven't been very good so far, although CM apparently plans to release a new one soon, which may render the complaints against 111R moot.

Quote:
Do you (or anyone else) think scanning the cable band for HDTV channels would be a useful feature?
Yes, but CM isn't adding it. The DVR+ is OTA only and does not support cable at all, nor will it ever support cable. You must use an antenna.
post #5403 of 5416 Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
OTA_Jay,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you (or anyone else) think scanning the cable band for HDTV channels would be a useful feature? Don't most cable providers have the HDTV locals somewhere in their band? If ChannelMaster provided this capability, wouldn't a lot of people use their DVR+ as a tuner / DVR, and use their basic cable as the source? Wouldn't that open up a lot of potential customers (like apartment dwellers) for them?

Thanks,
Ron
By today's standards, network channels require a decoder (contained within a cable box or DTA (digital transport adapter) to convert the signal.
The cable providers are doing everything possible to prevent someone from receiving these signals directly from a pre-existing cable feed (which used to be quite common). These signals are encoded. They want to sell you basic cable service (compatible with a DTA box) and possibly rent you a cable box or DVR. They want to prevent you from using your own equipment (such as the DVR+).
Unfortunately, they won that battle.
The advantage of using OTA (antenna based) signal is that it isn't compressed as much and actually provides better video quality (in general) than if you were watching the same channels (assuming that they're broadcasting in HD) from a cable feed.
Even if that weren't the case, Channel Master (among others) have a more marketable product with an OTA only device, since the average potential customer doesn't want to have to pay for even the least expensive cable option (a raw feed with no box).

Last edited by OTA_jay; Yesterday at 06:10 PM.
post #5404 of 5416 Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The advantage of using OTA (antenna based) signal is that it isn't compressed and actually provides better video quality (in general) than if you were watching the same channels (assuming that they're broadcasting in HD) from a cable feed.
It's important to realise that OTA is compressed, just as cable is. The difference is that OTA isn't compressed as much as cable is (most of the time). OTA therefore usually looks better than cable, but OTA still looks pretty bad compared to Blu-ray, since it is compressed much less than OTA.
JoeKustra likes this.
post #5405 of 5416 Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It's important to realise that OTA is compressed, just as cable is. The difference is that OTA isn't compressed as much as cable is (most of the time). OTA therefore usually looks better than cable, but OTA still looks pretty bad compared to Blu-ray, since it is compressed much less than OTA.
I'm actually very impressed with the video quality through the DVR+.
If only they would get rid of the bugs!
post #5406 of 5416 Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM

Speaking of bugs.....
I'm surprised that this hasn't been discussed (or perhaps I missed it).
Since 111R, when you delete a show (immediately after watching it), it highlights a random show (or folder).
No association, no relationship. It seems to have a mind if it's own!
It's somewhat intermittent but happens frequently enough to be truly annoying!
It should go to the top of the recordings list (page one) but it will often land anywhere it choses!......bizarre!!
post #5407 of 5416 Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Sorry..... meant to specify that is isn't compressed as much.
I edited my post accordingly.
Unfortunately, the sub channels share bandwidth and bit rate.
Still it's consistently better than TWC and even Fios (the two providers in my area).
post #5408 of 5416 Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilutinovic View Post
Hello

I am new to the forum. I have the Channel Master DVR+ (for several months). I am having a problem where after I set the DVR to record all episodes of a program (let just say "The Simpsons"). After about 2 weeks, even though it shows up as a reoccuring event, no shows record and none are indicated by the triangle on the channel guide.

Is this something others are seeing and is there a patch or work around ?
sorry everyone too busy yaking about HHD than respond to real world questions. I have seen the same occur. Not often, but yes its curious. I just ensure the show is permanently deleted, and request to record all shows again.
post #5409 of 5416 Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Sorry..... meant to specify that is isn't compressed as much.
I edited my post accordingly.
Unfortunately, the sub channels share bandwidth and bit rate.
Still it's consistently better than TWC and even Fios (the two providers in my area).
Sub-channels should be banned by the FCC for molesting the primary channels PQ!

Anyhow-the CM DVR+ likely will never add Clear QAM scanning since CM knows cable providers are encrypting everything including basic cable services to extract even more money out of customers in harware fee's required to decrypt the channels under the smokescreen of "preventing signal theft". Give me a freaking break. If you cancel cable they will cut the coax cable at the telephone pole and stop you from stealing service for even basic cable. If CM were to add Clear QAM support (assuming the tuners support it) would result in huge support headaches from customers calling into CM's support desk because they cannot tune cable channels when they are in fact encrypted. We all know that manufacturers go to great extremes to isolate themselves from consumers when it comes to support calls. Many make it nearly impossible to talk to a human being for technical problem resolution......
post #5410 of 5416 Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
I do not understand why none of these DVR manufacturers seem to be able to programatically determine there are back to back recordings on the same channel, and only use 1 tuner, and implement padding on both recordings by starting early and ending late a single recording to storage but use metadata/pointers into the single recording file for start and stop times for both of the recordings asdisplayed to the user in the recordings menu item. It seems like such an easy thing to implement.......
I got lost in your suggestion but it would appear you couldn't delete one episode without deleting the other... recapturing the disk space. Without adding all that easy to do logic... Anyway regarding WMC it appears to treat each recording as an independent task once it's scheduled. So once approved one task isn't even aware of another. Now Commercial Skip does create index files which reference the beginning and ending points of commercials. And automatically skips over them which can be defeated if it guesses wrong since the actual recording is never altered.
post #5411 of 5416 Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
I'm guessing by "new episodes" they mean "episodes I haven't recorded yet" rather than "episodes never aired before." (Based on my experience, that's what WMC means by "new," so that seems reasonable.)
New with WMC means "never aired" Such that since "Rookie Blue" had already aired in Canada it is treated as a repeat and will be skipped even though it's first run here. That being if you set the series to New (versus Live or New + Repeats). Syndication repeats show up as repeats.

TiVo has a 30-day rule which is nice. You can tell it to record repeats (such as Seinfeld) and once it has recorded an episode it won't record the same episode again for 30-days. So if it repeats the same day it's simply skipped...

There are a ton of these features... hopefully they show up here at some point.
post #5412 of 5416 Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM

Quote:
If you cancel cable they will cut the coax cable at the telephone pole and stop you from stealing service for even basic cable.
Not certain what other cable providers agendas are but TWC (at least in my area) is providing DTA boxes for subscribers that want just the basic broadcast channels (no cable channels). These boxes aren't usable unless TWC's computers can communicate with them (for a monthly fee). They need not physically cut the cable, since the raw signal has been rendered useless without these DTA boxes connected, forcing you to pay them for the basic service. They're basically holding what should be free services for ransom!
Situations such as this make OTA DVR's so useful.....especially if you're on a limited budget.
post #5413 of 5416 Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sub-channels should be banned by the FCC for molesting the primary channels PQ!
If you want PQ, watch a Blu-ray. I love sub-channels and record mine on a regular basis.
post #5414 of 5416 Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Their facebook page and twitter account both say the update will be available 'in a week or two'. Vudu (movies), Pandora (music), and now YouTube really round out this OTA DVR. Can't wait to see what comes next...
Sorry for the skepticism......
Hopefully, the addition of these various additional apps won't have an adverse effect on the overall performance of the unit!
Regardless, I'd be more enthusiastic if they put the emphasis on working out all of the bugs (after 10+ months on the market)!
These apps are truly secondary! They're readily available on a variety of inexpensive streaming boxes and a good number of TV's.
Not a selling point.....more a (perhaps intentional) distraction!
post #5415 of 5416 Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

New (old) bug report!:

I noticed this tonight. I had noticed it quite some time ago once or twice but thought perhaps it was related to the broadcast itself.
Here's the scenario:
I was recording "Late Night" on CBS.
While this recording was in progress, I was watching the World Series post game (live) on FOX. I had missed some of it and needed to "rewind" approx.10 minutes.
While watching in this state, there were consistent, noticable audio glitches. The audio would blank out completely and repetitively! Very annoying!!
As soon as I advanced the "rewound" portion of the broadcast (so that it resumed live) these audio glitches completely disappeared!
The glitches that I experienced were similar to a scenario when you're making two simultaneous recordings and watching another channel
......but the results were even worse!
I can't begin to tell you just how thrilling it was to discover yet another bug!😬
BTW.....I'm convinced that this isn't simply a hard drive issue, since I've abandoned the "portable" drive and upgraded to a WD 3.5" A/V (purple) drive.

Last edited by OTA_jay; Today at 12:19 AM.
post #5416 of 5416 Old Today, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
I'm guessing by "new episodes" they mean "episodes I haven't recorded yet" rather than "episodes never aired before."
I would expect the latter. Guide data contains the information as to whether a broadcast is first run or a repeat. Date of first-airing is typical meta-data, which is all you need. I suspect the implementation will be a simple option box to specify "record all episodes" or "record new" when the recurring recording is set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Even that other box can't get it right despite it's source (TMS) is 99% correct.
Never-ever had a problem with a prime-time OTA show -- and I record lots of them. The only time I've ever seen it have a problem is with the late-night talk shows that pull a show abruptly.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page