302Likes
post #5581 of 5723 Unread 11-09-2014, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
What I wouldn't give to be able to rewire the house while it was down to studs.
Hind sight is 20/20 (or so). No matter what you installed, you would be disappointed by now. When we bought our home (1990) it was prewired for RG6. At that time, we had one computer. Once we had two, I had a thinwire network run between the computers. As we added kids and computers, I extended this to the four rooms on the second floor. Mind you, we were using dialup for internet access (ondemand via a SMC Barricade). Later, I used the thinwire to pull cat5e into the bedrooms. Then we got high speed internet. Verizon ran a line from their ONT into their router in my basement then a second wire from the basement to my attic. Now, internet came into the basement to the attic to a switch that serviced the bedrooms. Then came wireless devices. A LOT of wireless devices. Eventually, I replaced their wireless router with an AC 1750 router. When I did that, I used a survey tool to locate the best possible place for the wireless router. Unfortunately, that wasn't in the basement or on the second floor. It was on top of the refrigerator in the kitchen. So, I ran a wire from the ONT in the garage through the basement up through the floor in the kitchen behind the refrigerator. Then I ran a wire from the router back into the basement for the 16 port switch that is the hub of my wired universe. One of the 16 ports takes that old verizon wire to the attic where it feeds a pair of cascaded 8 port switches which go to the bedrooms, printers, and all the toys in the 'lab' (my bedroom).

I hope to live long enough to laugh about all this.

Despite the thoughtful and generous placement of RG6 outlets in my home, I have 'had' to run additional lines.

Maybe in another 25 years, everything is fiber or wireless or something else? Who knows? What I would do if I were building new is install chases along all the walls with access panels and lots of strings between all the boxes so I could pull things in and out with relative ease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 5723 Unread 11-10-2014, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Refurbished Asus Dual Band Access Point, WiFi Bridge & Range Extender $32

I have this unit and highly recommend it. This is a universal Ethernet connected WiFi adapter (the DVR 'sees' a direct connection to the router) with high power (small external AC adapter) with a Phased Array Antenna system that detects the signal direction and points the response directly at it. Initial unit setup is on your computer (with the computer WiFi adapter turned OFF), then removed from the computer and plugged in to your DVR Ethernet Port. Latest Firmware is trouble free (2yrs. trouble free so far) with my 802.11AC dual band router. This unit normally sells for $100, but early firmware for the Bridge function was full of bugs and they had a large return rate. All of these refurbished units have corrected firmware. The Asus web site also have a set of tools that can be downloaded to your computer that allows personal operation preferences and computer storage of latest firmware and a tool to re-install if installed version becomes corrupted. My refurbished unit came with everything, but if yours has something missing, the Asus site can replace anything missing. Again, an outstanding, high quality, high power WiFi adapter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=-1&isNodeId=1
post #5583 of 5723 Unread 11-10-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 9
How to block software updates.

I had the best results with version 108 of the software. I rolled back from 111. 111 was giving me sound dropouts. Cancelling the updates was not to bad, but after awhile I wasn't given the option to cancel the update, it updated on its own.
If your internet connection goes through a firewall or router you can block just the software site. This way you still have your guide info etc. Simply add (tr50.dishaccess.tv) to your list of blocked sites, minus the brackets of course. Now the DVR+ can't access the software site. You can still update via the USB port.
JHBrandt, partsman_ba and dishrag2 like this.
post #5584 of 5723 Unread 11-10-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Waitaminute - the software update site is tr50.dishaccess.tv? TR50 was the model number of the old DTVPal!

Does that mean if I hook my DTVPal back up to the Internet, it'll try to load DVR+ firmware and brick itself?
post #5585 of 5723 Unread 11-10-2014, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpratt541 View Post
I had the best results with version 108 of the software. I rolled back from 111. 111 was giving me sound dropouts.

How did you get your DVR+ to "roll back" to version 108 after version 111 was installed?
post #5586 of 5723 Unread 11-10-2014, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Waitaminute - the software update site is tr50.dishaccess.tv? TR50 was the model number of the old DTVPal!
Upon doing further research, this was actually (supposedly) determined way back on January 24th (see page 52 of this thread).

Last edited by OTA_jay; 11-10-2014 at 11:53 PM.
post #5587 of 5723 Unread 11-10-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACSWIRELESS View Post
How did you get your DVR+ to "roll back" to version 108 after version 111 was installed?
Good question!......
PLEASE enlighten us ASAP.
Thanks!! 😊

Last edited by OTA_jay; 11-10-2014 at 11:54 PM.
post #5588 of 5723 Unread 11-10-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Does that mean if I hook my DTVPal back up to the Internet, it'll try to load DVR+ firmware and brick itself?
Why would you ever want to hook it back up to the Internet?😳
Hypothetically speaking, isn't there the possibility of multiple FW residing there?

Last edited by OTA_jay; 11-10-2014 at 11:51 PM.
post #5589 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald1800 View Post
Refurbished Asus Dual Band Access Point, WiFi Bridge & Range Extender $32

I have this unit and highly recommend it. This is a universal Ethernet connected WiFi adapter (the DVR 'sees' a direct connection to the router) with high power (small external AC adapter) with a Phased Array Antenna system that detects the signal direction and points the response directly at it. Initial unit setup is on your computer (with the computer WiFi adapter turned OFF), then removed from the computer and plugged in to your DVR Ethernet Port. Latest Firmware is trouble free (2yrs. trouble free so far) with my 802.11AC dual band router. This unit normally sells for $100, but early firmware for the Bridge function was full of bugs and they had a large return rate. All of these refurbished units have corrected firmware. The Asus web site also have a set of tools that can be downloaded to your computer that allows personal operation preferences and computer storage of latest firmware and a tool to re-install if installed version becomes corrupted. My refurbished unit came with everything, but if yours has something missing, the Asus site can replace anything missing. Again, an outstanding, high quality, high power WiFi adapter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=-1&isNodeId=1
Certainly Looks interesting!
Thanks for the info!.....
but PC magazine gave it a poor (2 star) review:

"Asus EA-N66 is a Half-Baked Adapter.
If you're shopping for a wireless adapter, skip the EA-N66. The USB-N66 is a better choice. Problems pairing the EA-N66 with Asus's own router don't bode well for getting it to work smoothly with other routers. Software problems and the lack of good documentation for setting up and configuring the EA-N66 are also likely to frustrate most users. It earns just a 2 out of 5 star rating, winning a couple of points for a well-designed GUI and okay performance."

Last edited by OTA_jay; 11-11-2014 at 12:08 AM.
post #5590 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
I had the best results with version 108 of the software. I rolled back from 111. 111 was giving me sound dropouts. Cancelling the updates was not to bad, but after awhile I wasn't given the option to cancel the update, it updated on its own.
If your internet connection goes through a firewall or router you can block just the software site. This way you still have your guide info etc. Simply add (tr50.dishaccess.tv) to your list of blocked sites, minus the brackets of course. Now the DVR+ can't access the software site. You can still update via the USB port.
"Rolled back" to 108R?......
Please enlighten as to to exactly how you were able to do this?
......and wouldn't blocking the site also prevent the Rovi guide from updating?
Thanks!!

Last edited by OTA_jay; 11-11-2014 at 06:41 AM.
post #5591 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
as I pointed out here Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread
post #5592 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 01:22 AM

"...Certainly Looks interesting!
but PC magazine gave it a poor (2 star) review..."

Yes, as I stated previously, their early release of this product resulted in heavy returns for non-op bridge operation which also resulted in a very poor PC Mag. rating. The current software is flawless, and as I stated, trouble free on my 802.11AC 1200 router for nearly 2 years. These refurbished units are an excellent deal at these prices. And again, I highly recommend them
post #5593 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Yes, as I stated previously, their early release of this product resulted in heavy returns for non-op bridge operation which also resulted in a very poor PC Mag. rating.
The user ratings on Newegg and elsewhere aren't promising, either. Plus, according to one review, it'll do 2.4GHz or 5GHz, but not both at the same time?

Glad it's working for you, but I'd be inclined to take a pass, from what little I've seen.

Jim
post #5594 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
as I pointed out here Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread
Thanks!.....
So how do we "roll back" to 108R
(as specified in post 5586 above)?

Last edited by OTA_jay; 11-11-2014 at 06:44 AM.
post #5595 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:

Yes, as I stated previously, their early release of this product resulted in heavy returns for non-op bridge operation which also resulted in a very poor PC Mag. rating. The current software is flawless, and as I stated, trouble free on my 802.11AC 1200 router for nearly 2 years. These refurbished units are an excellent deal at these prices. And again, I highly recommend them
I didn't realize that the PC mag. review coincided with the earlier problems that you mentioned.
It's unfortunate that they didn't update the review to reflect these improvements.
Flawless software?......
One could only dream of this with the DVR+!
post #5596 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
Thanks!.....

that was the answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post
It appears to fetch the guide once per day from roproxy-guide.echostarcdn.com.  ....

Chuck
post #5597 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 09:13 AM

Liked: 9
Quote:
Thanks!.....
So how do we "roll back" to 108R
(as specified in post 5586 above)?
You do a maintenance restart with the desired version on a USB stick. Have done this multiple times with no problem.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #5598 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Why would you ever want to hook it back up to the Internet?
Well, I wouldn't, but a lot of Pal owners don't know any better. The manual says to hook it up to keep your firmware current, so they will.

Is this "planned obsolescence" or is the firmware named differently so there's no chance of issues?
post #5599 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
The user ratings on Newegg and elsewhere aren't promising, either. Plus, according to one review, it'll do 2.4GHz or 5GHz, but not both at the same time?

Glad it's working for you, but I'd be inclined to take a pass, from what little I've seen.

Jim
Why would you want a WiFi adapter to do 2.4GHz and 5GHz at the same time? Do you have both a 2.4GHz and a 5GHz WiFi network and need to hook your DVR+ to both of them for some odd reason?
post #5600 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks!!
According to the below, the Rovi guide is downloaded from a different site:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post
I stopped the Wireshark trace this morning after about 30 hours.

It appears to fetch the guide once per day from roproxy-guide.echostarcdn.com.  Quite a bit of data comes down the line, more than I expected.  It took a couple of minutes to download.  It fetched at 7:50 am yesterday (of course just before I would have seen it come down a second time this this morning).  The data appears to be gzip format.

The connection to tr50.dishaccess.tv is every 24 hours.

I'm not seeing anything else interesting in the trace.

Chuck
Edit: P Smith beat me to it.
post #5601 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Why would you want a WiFi adapter to do 2.4GHz and 5GHz at the same time?
It's not just a "WiFi adapter." It is billed as a "Dual-Band Wireless-N900, 3 in 1 Access Point/Repeater/Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.

Yes: In the adapter role: Simultaneous dual-band operation would be pointless. But as a repeater, and certainly as an AP: Not so much.

Jim
post #5602 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
A "bent paper clip"?.....
I've used this analogy as a joke!
You must be kidding!!
......perhaps this might explain why the $10.00 antenna actually works for you (since it's basically the equivalent of a bent paper clip!).😅
I am completely serious. Most of the broadcast antennas are located on Cheyenne Mountain (the old NORAD) at around 9,000 feet. I am at about 6,500 13 miles away. I can see them from my living room window.

I have talked to people in various parts of Colorado Springs who have been able to get it to work with a paperclip. The only people here locally who have trouble with signals are the ones who live up close at the base of Cheyenne Mountain. I know someone who could get a couple of channels without an antenna, but the paperclip makes a big difference.

I may eventually try to get a bigger antenna to get some of the Denver Area channels. It seems like a bit of a push and might be expensive. I have been checking the listings on Titan TV to see if I am missing anything. So far the only ones I would care about are on the far side so even less likely.
post #5603 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't, but a lot of Pal owners don't know any better. The manual says to hook it up to keep your firmware current, so they will.

Is this "planned obsolescence" or is the firmware named differently so there's no chance of issues?
I don't think there is any chance the Pal DVR will mistakenly update itself with DVR+ firmware. After Dish dumped the Pal DVR they erased its existence from their websites and corporate history.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5604 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

no slight chance to mix FW... different notation, different control header, digital certificate and signature,etc
post #5605 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
You do a maintenance restart with the desired version on a USB stick. Have done this multiple times with no problem.
When you specify "maintenance restart", are you referring to a "factory reset" from the DVR+ menu?
.....or the hold in the power button procedure?
Please be specific (step by step) as to the entire process.
.....just want to be certain and avoid any potential problems with the unit.
Also.....wouldn't you still get the nag messages asking you to update?
Thanks very much!!

Last edited by OTA_jay; 11-11-2014 at 06:39 PM.
post #5606 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
FYI from the Channel Master Store:

LIMITED TIME OFFER: Purchase the DVR+ today and receive a FREE Extended Warranty at checkout, a $39 value.
post #5607 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Also.....wouldn't you still get the nag messages asking you to update?
No, because he blocked the update site in his router. The DVR+ can't nag you to update if it can't connect to the update site to learn that an update is available.
post #5608 of 5723 Unread 11-11-2014, 10:57 PM

"...according to one review, it'll do 2.4GHz or 5GHz, but not both at the same time? Glad it's working for you, but I'd be inclined to take a pass, from what little I've seen..."

That's O.K. I provided the info. for those who want/need a high performance, high powered WiFi adapter that uses the currently unused Ethernet connector, leaving the USB free for any future capability and reducing the USB power drain and internal supply heat dissipation. I have only used it as an 'Ethernet' WiFi adapter, so my reliability comments only refer to that usage, and has operated in that mode flawlessly. My WiFi router sent a clearance to use/select either the 2.4 OR 5GH for its operation, so I selected 5GH. Very nice for streaming Netflix or Vudu movies from this older Blu-Ray player and getting player apps. updates. It's still an excellent price for it's capability.
post #5609 of 5723 Unread 11-12-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
"...according to one review, it'll do 2.4GHz or 5GHz, but not both at the same time? Glad it's working for you, but I'd be inclined to take a pass, from what little I've seen..."

That's O.K. I provided the info. for those who want/need a high performance, high powered WiFi adapter that uses the currently unused Ethernet connector, leaving the USB free for any future capability and reducing the USB power drain and internal supply heat dissipation. I have only used it as an 'Ethernet' WiFi adapter, so my reliability comments only refer to that usage, and has operated in that mode flawlessly. My WiFi router sent a clearance to use/select either the 2.4 OR 5GH for its operation, so I selected 5GH. Very nice for streaming Netflix or Vudu movies from this older Blu-Ray player and getting player apps. updates. It's still an excellent price for it's capability.
The difference between 2.4 or 5gHz is not throughput, but it could be avoiding conflicts from local WiFi users who are competing for space on that channel. I have seen printers on the 2.4mHz band which could, during streaming, cause a slowdown. But the throughput is measured in mHz (mine is 54mHz). There is a utility, inSSIDer, that could help you determine if others nearby are sharing your channels. I am in a rural location but can see 3 or 4 other servers. They all use channel 6, so I use channel 1. Channel 6 must be a popular default. That said, I may get one of the adapters for my older laptap because its WiFi signal is pretty weak (router is on a different floor).
JHBrandt likes this.
post #5610 of 5723 Unread 11-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
There is a utility, inSSIDer, that could help you determine if others nearby are sharing your channels.
If you have an Android device: WiFi Analyzer works well for that. (Tho you'll be limited if the Android device has no 5GHz WiFi radio, which many do not.)

Jim
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart