post #5671 of 6489 Old 11-17-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post
Yes, the manual says when attaching an external drive the Time Shift buffer will allow you 2 hours to rewind. One might get the implication that that means after 2 hours of caching, the buffer on the drive would start being deleted regarding the post two-hour stuff. The Moxi DVR does this. The Moxi DVR deletes the buffer as it goes along, so the drive will not fill up.
A DVR live TV buffer is generally a circular buffer of fixed file size where the oldest material is written over with the newest material. Changing the channel doesn't necessarily delete the buffer file but simply zeros the pointers so that the previously buffered material, while still in the buffer file, is no longer accessible -- like deleting a file on your PC. It should not grow in size past its original allocation. If the live buffer in the DVR+ is really leaking and growing uncontrollably, that is a serious issue. It is also something that would be noticed on a larger scale and more widely reported before now.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 6489 Old 11-17-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfatboy2003 View Post
Their Facebook page says the update should be released on 11/21 now.
I'm sure the update will provide for more new streaming channels. That should take peoples minds off these annoyances.
cistearns and SEMIJim like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5673 of 6489 Old 11-17-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Well, that's more sophisticated but achieves the same result: a limited amount of space is used for the buffer, and the drive won't fill up no matter how long the DVR+ remains on.

If it's designed to work that way, then the two reports of drives filling up must indicate a bug, not a design flaw; but as I said earlier it really doesn't matter. There's no excuse for drives filling up just because you leave your DVR+ on without recording anything.
I wouldn't make another assumption without looking into file system of failed DVR. Not enough data to point to live buffer or anything else.

Last edited by P Smith; 11-17-2014 at 12:14 PM.
post #5674 of 6489 Old 11-17-2014, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
A DVR live TV buffer is generally a circular buffer of fixed file size where the oldest material is written over with the newest material. Changing the channel doesn't necessarily delete the buffer file but simply zeros the pointers so that the previously buffered material, while still in the buffer file, is no longer accessible -- like deleting a file on your PC. It should not grow in size past its original allocation. If the live buffer in the DVR+ is really leaking and growing uncontrollably, that is a serious issue. It is also something that would be noticed on a larger scale and more widely reported before now.
Kelson, thanks for the reply. Incidentally, I have a 2.5" SSD connected using a SATA to USB adapter. Said adapter has a wonderful indicator light that flashes to indicate when data is either being recorded on the drive, or deleted from the drive.

When I let the same channel stay on...and then either change the channel or put the DVR+ in standby, that indicator light flashes rapidly, letting me know the buffer data is being deleted. (I realize you might prefer I not use the word "deleted.")

The length of time the light flashes is absolutely tied to how long I have left the DVR+ on the same station, and thus all that buffer data recorded, of course. (I just wish they'd program the DVR+ to "delete" the buffer data past the 2-hour mark, and not allow the buffer file to just keep growing and growing.)
SirCrow likes this.
post #5675 of 6489 Old 11-17-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 135
the issue should be taken into research, but not speculations ... guessing about live buffer, erasing it, etc
post #5676 of 6489 Old 11-17-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
That's how the iView, Homeworx, etc. do it: you specify a buffer size (say, 4GB) and when you start buffering* it creates a file of that size and starts writing to it, wrapping back to the start if it hits the end. The amount of time you can go back depends on the buffer size and the channel's bit rate; for a 4GB buffer it could range from about 30 minutes for HD up to 2 hours for SD.

Indeed, whatever issue is causing the DVR+ to fill up HDDs must be rare; only two folks have reported it so far. (I haven't seen it, but it may be specific to 111R.) The live buffer seems like a reasonable suspect, but it could be something else, such as a runaway recording. (I had a runaway recording on a DTVPal once.)

*The iView, etc. only buffer on demand, not all the time like the DVR+ and others.
post #5677 of 6489 Old 11-17-2014, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
the issue should be taken into research, but not speculations ... guessing about live buffer, erasing it, etc
How many others have seen this problem??
post #5678 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post
How many others have seen this problem??
Just above.
Quote:
Indeed, whatever issue is causing the DVR+ to fill up HDDs must be rare; only two folks have reported it so far.

- kelson h

post #5679 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Had an issue last night.

Power light bright blue, nothing on screen. Unresponsive to remote commands. Couldn't toggle power off or on. Had to force a reboot by holding the power button. After rebooting it resumed normal operation. Although it missed all the scheduled recordings that were supposed to occur during the time that it was unresponsive.

Anyone have this happen before? Not sure what caused it.
post #5680 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
Had an issue last night.

Power light bright blue, nothing on screen. Unresponsive to remote commands. Couldn't toggle power off or on. Had to force a reboot by holding the power button. After rebooting it resumed normal operation. Although it missed all the scheduled recordings that were supposed to occur during the time that it was unresponsive.

When was the last time you rebooted the DVR+ before last night's incident. The DVR+ may be one of those devices that needs a periodic reboot to clear the cobwebs away. All it takes is a memory leak somewhere in the code -- its like spiders in the brain that slowly eat away until an epic fail.

- kelson h

post #5681 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
When was the last time you rebooted the DVR+ before last night's incident. The DVR+ may be one of those devices that needs a periodic reboot to clear the cobwebs away. All it takes is a memory leak somewhere in the code -- its like spiders in the brain that slowly eat away until an epic fail.
It hasnt been rebooted in several weeks. It does do its auto powersave mode, but I never force a reboot unless I have a problem. It would be nice if the system would look at your scheduled recordings and automatically reboot in the middle of the night once a week when there isnt a conflict or something.
post #5682 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I didn't have the "coma" scenario that blakepro had, but I did have a problem recently where the time would fall behind by 1-2 minutes, then randomly jump ahead to the correct time, then fall behind again. A reboot cured the problem. As Kelson noted, it seems as though the DVR+ needs a periodic reboot. Like pretty much any computer...
post #5683 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It hasnt been rebooted in several weeks. It does do its auto powersave mode, but I never force a reboot unless I have a problem. It would be nice if the system would look at your scheduled recordings and automatically reboot in the middle of the night once a week when there isnt a conflict or something.
If you have been relatively trouble-free to this point, I wouldn't worry about it and chalk it up to one of those random glitches. If you have been having your share of problems requiring a reboot, you might consider starting something like a Saturday night reboot and seeing if that smooths the waters for you.

- kelson h

post #5684 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
If you have been relatively trouble-free to this point, I wouldn't worry about it and chalk it up to one of those random glitches. If you have been having your share of problems requiring a reboot, you might consider starting something like a Saturday night reboot and seeing if that smooths the waters for you.
Overall, I've been problem free. My recordings all happen when they should, the guide data is great, its fairly responsive most of the time and I'm quite happy with it. The only issue I have is the low volume thing that happened with the last update and I really want the "only record new episodes" update.

I did have a weird glitch for a while where live TV would have no sound and I would have to skip back 10 seconds into the buffer to restore sound. That only would happen on one channel and I never figured out why it happens. I'm not sure if it is still happening because 99.9% of what I watch is time shifted and everything works flawlessly that way.
post #5685 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Overall, I've been problem free. My recordings all happen when they should, the guide data is great, its fairly responsive most of the time and I'm quite happy with it.
It is perplexing as to why some people have virtually no issues and others are ready to fall off the edge.

- kelson h

post #5686 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Had an issue last night.

Had the exact same thing happen to me in April after having the unit for about 6 weeks. CM tech support said that it was a glitch in the auto powersave option, told me to turn it off. Did so and the unit has been working perfectly ever since, hasn't locked or missed a single recording.
post #5687 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 14
No FW by Nov. 15th

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
Speaking of not holding our breath.....
where's that update/revision/bug fix that was promised by November 15th?
Just as a reminder.....it's been two months since 111R was released! 😠
They meant Nov. 15th....2015.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
post #5688 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 12:27 PM

Skip back to restore sound

Quote:
I did have a weird glitch for a while where live TV would have no sound and I would have to skip back 10 seconds into the buffer to restore sound.
Pretty sure that's happened to me, too.

post #5689 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
It hasnt been rebooted in several weeks. It does do its auto powersave mode, but I never force a reboot unless I have a problem. It would be nice if the system would look at your scheduled recordings and automatically reboot in the middle of the night once a week when there isn't a conflict or something.
You could plug its wall-wart into one of those electronic timers and set it to shut off for about 15 minutes once a week at a convenient day & time (say, Sunday @ 4:30 AM)
post #5690 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 12:42 PM

Question What does Reminder do when DVR is OFF?

Quote:
I forgot to test this, but what happens if you set a reminder and then turn off the DVR so that it's off when that program's about to start?

post #5691 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 12:57 PM

Lightbulb User Want, User Get

Here's an insane idea: Manufacturers, give us a DVR where we, the users, can design or re-design the firmware (preferably without having to know coding)! CM, if you want to give the world the next truly revolutionary DVR, that would be my suggestion. TiVo wouldn't stand a chance.

Seriously, if I were to design the UI and feature set of a DVR from the ground up, I would get right soooo many of the things that these makers are getting sooooo wrong. I'll take a deep breath and wait for that product go come out. Wise?

post #5692 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
You could plug its wall-wart into one of those electronic timers and set it to shut off for about 15 minutes once a week at a convenient day & time (say, Sunday @ 4:30 AM)
Maybe.... Often those electronic timers don't like an inductive load. Might need to use a mechanical timer . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
post #5693 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 01:33 PM

Blue Light & Foolish Buffer

Quote:
That should be easy to check. If you haven't touched the remote, the DVR+ LED should return to dim blue after whatever time-out you set. (You can choose 4, 5, or 6 hours, or disabled, in Settings / Power Options.)

I was extrapolating from the user whose 128GB HDD filled up after several hours. Yours is 8x the capacity of his, but it started out half full, so it could have filled up in roughly 4x the time.

But only if it stayed on the entire time, I would think. Since it's safe to assume you slept at least once while the disk was filling up, it should have shut itself off overnight, and that should have kept it from filling up.
But I also consider it a bug for the buffer to fill up any reasonably-sized HDD, no matter how long the DVR+ stays on. The buffer function should switch to a new file every 2 hours, and delete all but the current and previous file...
Thanks for all that. As for the blue light, I really can't tell what it's doing, as I have the DVR+ turned around in its cabinet to avoid an even-worse tangly-cable situation. It's too easy to unplug something accidentally while turning things around; plus, it's easier to gain access to the unit's rear this way. So, that's my crazy situation. How's yours?

post #5694 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Here's an insane idea: Manufacturers, give us a DVR where we, the users, can design or re-design the firmware (preferably without having to know coding)! CM, if you want to give the world the next truly revolutionary DVR, that would be my suggestion.
Unless you're proposing firmware made out of rainbows and unicorns, I'd like to know how this would would work. Programs don't write themselves.
Kelson likes this.
post #5695 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Unless you're proposing firmware made out of rainbows and unicorns, I'd like to know how this would would work. Programs don't write themselves.
Oops . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	10386381_1105900806106038_4180834630038371264_n.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	372898
Kelson and Aleron Ives like this.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
post #5696 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
Maybe.... Often those electronic timers don't like an inductive load. Might need to use a mechanical timer . . .
This is an interesting idea, but I'm weary of disrupting power to memory devices that may be in use. I've had too many issues with corrupted data in the past to trust this method.
post #5697 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
So why would I want additional DVR+ units where I would have to program all the same recurring recording options ? As opposed to accessing a main unit. Quite stupid, I believe.
I never suggested that you personally should purchase additional units. You asked how others were handling this problem. I answered that perhaps they were investing in additional units.
One unit, multiple rooms
......but still only two tuners.
Not that exciting!
post #5698 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I'm sure the update will provide for more new streaming channels. That should take peoples minds off these annoyances.
Now that's a good example of sarcasm! 😊
post #5699 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
It is perplexing as to why some people have virtually no issues and others are ready to fall off the edge.
I rarely have issues. At least not ones that are worth noting.

Some channels are louder than others, but that has to do with the channels themselves.

It is occasionally choppy sounding when I am playing something while recording two other things, but turning it off and back on usually solves that. It seems the worst when it switching recordings (recording 2 things on 2 channels and then switching to record 2 other things on 2 other channels at the same time).

I rarely watch live TV. The reason I got this was to record shows and watch them later. isn't that the point of this? Even something like a football game gets started late. I hate wasting time on commercials.
post #5700 of 6489 Old 11-18-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
I'm uncomfortable calling strangers by phone, but if you think it might actually make a difference...
It tends to be more effective than sending e-mail and (if by some chance) you get to speak with someone who's actually knowledgeable (this does happen on occasion), you may be able to answer additional questions, which may add some clarity to the situation (and less potential assumptions on their part).
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart