post #5851 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
The following is a comment on the CM Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/mychannelmaster, under the November 21 posting about “Bonus”. Is this true?
I think he may have been talking about the YouTube "pairing" feature. He's probably using Chrome on his laptop or pad PC to select videos, then playing them on his TV via the DVR+.

If that's not it, I have no idea what he was talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I think he may have been talking about the YouTube "pairing" feature. He's probably using Chrome on his laptop or pad PC to select videos, then playing them on his TV via the DVR+.

Thanks, you’re probably right!
post #5853 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So far, 114R not a "turkey".

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
... Looks as if they put the turkey back in the oven, as it wasn't quite done yet! 😊
Thanksgiving Day is the one day I will not allow myself to partake of that bird. My little protest.
As for firmware 114R, I've had no problems so far. That is, except for the things they left out for no good reason. And now, I shall read on...

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
post #5854 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 02:57 PM

QUIRKY Keyboard

Quote:
Lower case letters in "search" serve no purpose whatsoever! In fact, given a choice, I prefer upper case as the default. It's easier to read from a distance. Who's genius idea was this?
In Search, yes. But in renaming a show, I always insist on proper capitalisation and such. I'm silly that way.
Now, they just have to fix the keyboard so it isn't such a huge time waster!

post #5855 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana View Post
No one can say for sure what will happen with the guide, but since it is internet based, rather than relying on an OTA-scheme, there are more options for them to substitute a different guide source in the future if Rovi went away.
They had that opportunity with the CM-7400 and punted. If the Rovi guide goes away after CM has moved on from the DVR+, more than likely it is PSIP once again.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5856 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 03:15 PM

What's New is Old Now (???)

Quote:
... WMC checks the recording history (er, "schedule" as the DVR+ now calls it) to see if an episode has already been recorded. If so, it won't record the same episode again. (You can, of course, manually override this if desired.)
The potential problem I see is that sometimes reception is so bad, the show is unwatchable. But the DVR may assume it's fine. (I guess it needs to be pretty much nonexistent to be marked as "Failed".) So, one still needs to be alert and look for repeats when necessary. And stuff.

post #5857 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 03:42 PM

Time Is Precious, So Instantly is Best

Quote:
300X?......There may as well be an option to jump directly to the end of the show!
Yes, that would be good. My old Sony let me do that, which allowed me to more quickly find something that I knew or suspected was much nearer the end than the start of a show. And if it's a 3-hour show, it really makes a difference. BTW, 300x (or even 128x) would make it easy to miss something visually. If you know approx. where in the program you want to go, why not be able to jump by a specified amount? (Is this where I mention 117R?)

post #5858 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
The potential problem I see is that sometimes reception is so bad, the show is unwatchable. But the DVR may assume it's fine. (I guess it needs to be pretty much nonexistent to be marked as "Failed".) So, one still needs to be alert and look for repeats when necessary. And stuff.
Yes; I've gotten some bad recordings on WMC. Luckily, you can search for repeats and schedule a re-recording manually (if one is coming up), but it does make me fret over my OTA reception obsessively.

There's no perfect solution. For stations with frequent bad reception, we still need the option to record all episodes, including duplicates, so we can look through them for the best ones and delete the rest.
post #5859 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

He's updated the Facebook thread: Yes, YouTube only.
post #5860 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"FF" and "Reverse" are unrelated to the "Skip" feature, so there seems to be some confusion here.
Additionally, you can adjust the skip forward and skip back settings to your liking within the menu system. This has always been the case.
300X?......There may as well be an option to jump directly to the end of the show!
Quote:
Yes, that would be good. My old Sony let me do that, which allowed me to more quickly find something that I knew or suspected was much nearer the end than the start of a show. And if it's a 3-hour show, it really makes a difference. BTW, 300x (or even 128x) would make it easy to miss something visually. If you know approx. where in the program you want to go, why not be able to jump by a specified amount? (Is this where I mention 117R?)
The DTVPal/CM-7000Pal did 300x too. It's not as good as a "Go to" function but it does really save time when you want to get toward the end of a recording quickly.
post #5861 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 04:16 PM

TiVo = Voldemort

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
... If you set that "other DVR" to record ALL episodes it records all showings flagged as "New" in the guide, as well as all reruns or repeat showings. ...
The DVR that must not be named!

post #5862 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
The only complaint worth mentioning I've had with the DVR+ vs. the Pal has nothing to do with the guide; it's that for back-to-back recordings on the same channel, the DVR+ drops any padding you specified, and so may cut off the end of the first show or the start of the second. The Pal doesn't do this, unless the second tuner was in use at the time
My experience with the DTVPal is that if padding is specified at the end and you've scheduled two back-to-back programs plus a third and/or fourth on a second channel, one of the programs will NOT record at all (presumably because it uses both tuners during the overlap period). In this respect, the DVR+ behavior would seem better. You can always catch the missing start or end on the other of the back-to-back recordings. True, they could include the overlap data in both recordings from a single tuner, but that would just be icing on the cake.

I'm just about to switch my wife over the the DVR+ from the DTVPal for this very reason, given that the DTVPal can't seem to get the clock right within better than 30 seconds, and the networks insist on shoving the tail end of one show right up against the front end of the next (thus either missing the coming attractions or the next show's crime). Makes you long for the days of commercials and station-identification between shows.

Last edited by frank70; 11-24-2014 at 04:36 PM.
post #5863 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 04:31 PM

DVR+ Is a Good DVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I know you think you are smarter than the people at EchoStar (you might be), but they would do this if it was easy. This is a great DVR. Cut them some slack.
I might agree with you if I were to forget what DVRs were capable of ten years ago.
dishrag2 likes this.

post #5864 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am looking for some help. Where do you get the option to record only new episodes? I am not seeing that choice when I select a program.
post #5865 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner2Bruce View Post
I am looking for some help. Where do you get the option to record only new episodes? I am not seeing that choice when I select a program.
Probably select the program in the Guide, then select Record this program, and you should then see the option. As usual, I don't have my TV turned on right now, so I hope someone will confirm this for you. I'm always having to do this from memory. Bye.

post #5866 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
He's updated the Facebook thread: Yes, YouTube only.
You tube feature allows my iphone to pair to dvr+ using a code. Must use the You Tube application on phone. Whatever you are watching on you tube on the app on the phone will be seen on tv screen. Not much different than mirroring, except its nice full screen. Actually pretty cool. And the you tube app on phone retains the ability to pair, cause I always see the paring logo now.
post #5867 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Probably select the program in the Guide, then select Record this program, and you should then see the option. As usual, I don't have my TV turned on right now, so I hope someone will confirm this for you. I'm always having to do this from memory. Bye.
Yeah I went into the guide, selected a program, and chose "record the program." The only options I see are "Record just this Program" or "Record All Programs with this name".
post #5868 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 07:17 PM

Can't find "New episodes" option

Quote:
Yeah I went into the guide, selected a program, and chose "record the program." The only options I see are "Record just this Program" or "Record All Programs with this name".
I hate to ask, but have you updated to firmware 114R? You need it for the new episodes feature.

post #5869 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I hate to ask, but have you updated to firmware 114R? You need it for the new episodes feature.
Under Technical Info it says my Software Version is 114R, so yes.
post #5870 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Under Technical Info it says my Software Version is 114R, so yes.
I got nothing, except the notorious "Factory Reset" option.
If you have 114r and a functional external disk drive attached you should have the record New programs menu option.
post #5871 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert Souse' View Post
I got nothing, except the notorious "Factory Reset" option.
If you have 114r and a functional external disk drive attached you should have the record New programs menu option.
I did a factory reset twice, but nothing. Although even though it says I am connected to my network my icons in the guide don't show up (NBC signal, CBS signal, etc.).
post #5872 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I did a factory reset twice, but nothing. Although even though it says I am connected to my network my icons in the guide don't show up (NBC signal, CBS signal, etc.).
Sounds like a previously encountered problem with the guide not working although the interface says connected.
Without the Rovi guide the New Episode feature is unavailable.

If I remember correctly someone removed the WiFi adapter and reinserted it to connect.
If you are connected with Ethernet disconnect the network cable and reconnect.
post #5873 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 09:53 PM

I can't find it now. Someone help me out here.

Somewhere previously in this very long thread at least 2 people reported updating to new firmware and afterwards the Rovi guide was nonfunctional, PSIP only.
Even though the DVR was internet connected, to CM possibly, the DVR was not Rovi connected until they reset their WiFi and/Ethernet connection.
post #5874 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuchana View Post
No one can say for sure what will happen with the guide, but since it is internet based, rather than relying on an OTA-scheme, there are more options for them to substitute a different guide source in the future if Rovi went away.
The success of the DVR+ will likely dictate the outcome with the Rovi guide.
Hopefully, it will greatly outsell previous "TVGOS" based devices!
The Black Friday promotion may help to achieve this goal. However, If they did some mainstream advertising or (especially) if the same ($175.00) deal were also available through Amazon.com (and other dealers) it would be far more beneficial to them.....and (potentially) to us as well!
If their intention is to increase exposure and/or sell a "truckload" of units, they're going about it the wrong way!

Last edited by OTA_jay; 11-25-2014 at 01:54 AM.
post #5875 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I can't find it now. Someone help me out here.

Somewhere previously in this very long thread at least 2 people reported updating to new firmware and afterwards the Rovi guide was nonfunctional, PSIP only.
Even though the DVR was internet connected, to CM possibly, the DVR was not Rovi connected until they reset their WiFi and/Ethernet connection.
This may very well have been a temporary problem (such as poor connectivity to the Internet). If it were a rampant issue, there would be far more complaints about it here.
No other suggestions at this point.
FYI, any issues reported here regarding the 114R transition would have occurred as of 11/21/14 (not that far back for you to search).

Last edited by OTA_jay; 11-25-2014 at 01:55 AM.
post #5876 of 6504 Old 11-24-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
MKS13 Summed it up perfectly. I don't want to have to scroll past them in the guide. Plus I sometimes land on them and get asked about using them. Where I live I have lots of stations in the guide and deleting those that are not going to be viewed is a good thing.
Huh....you're kidding, right? 😄
Scrolling past these apps takes 2-3 seconds!
Do you actually think Channel Master (or anyone else for that matter) is going to take this seriously?
How can you compare deleting unusable channels in the guide to these fully functional, mainstream based apps (that, for better or worse, they insist upon us having).
Let's discuss real issues here....please!

Last edited by OTA_jay; 11-25-2014 at 02:27 AM.
post #5877 of 6504 Old 11-25-2014, 01:21 AM

Back to reality!.....
I discovered a really useful feature/option last night (that I don't recall ever attempting to use previously myself or ever being mentioned here).
A show's end time can increased while the recording's already in progress!
I had attempted this previously with other devices and it wasn't possible.You would need to divide a recording into two in order to accomplish this, which was a real nuisance.
With the DVR+, if a show is destined to go over it's scheduled end time, you can simply return to that show on the guide, push the "OK" button, scroll down to "edit the recording", push "OK" again and proceed to change the ending time.
Last night was a perfect example of just how valuable this feature is.
Football game on CBS and an unscheduled Presidential press conference on various networks.
A variety of shows ran long as a result.
Used this feature to extend recordings (while in progress). Very good option and it worked like a charm!
Paul210 and JHBrandt like this.

Last edited by OTA_jay; 11-25-2014 at 07:40 AM.
post #5878 of 6504 Old 11-25-2014, 02:11 AM

Number one on my holiday "wish list"!....
If only there was only a way to edit the recording after it was made (to remove additional time beyond it's ending, edit out commercials, retain certain segments while removing others, etc.). All in the event of wanting to archive a particular show, such as a music (or other) awards show, a concert or a talk show, etc., while not wasting available recording time on the EHD!
Wouldn't that be a great feature to have? Certainly, there are ways to accomplish this on a PC (some of which can leave a lot to be desired) but to have the ability to do this directly on the DVR+?....with an ergonomically friendly interface? How cool would that be?
.....and technically, it's very feasible, as it's been done with various HDD based DVD recorders.
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by OTA_jay; 11-25-2014 at 02:15 AM.
post #5879 of 6504 Old 11-25-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
One of them would be me. And the DVR+ was not internet connected either (though it said it was) because VUDU would not connect. After factory reset, all became well.
post #5880 of 6504 Old 11-25-2014, 07:29 AM

Just updated to 114R. No issues using wi-fi (and only a 3 Mbps download speed).
Initially, volume seems to have reverted back to it's original level. Yay!
Remote response is sluggish. Not too happy about this. Will need to reboot or reset to (hopefully) resolve this.
I like the new recording options (although I truly haven't made use of them just yet). My complaint here is that these options should be accessible when you push the "record" button. I set my recordings from the guide simply by pushing the "record" button. This is likely typical of others as well. The very first option (when you press the "OK" button at that point) should be the "all" and "new" options. I realize that it's a somewhat minor issue and the same amount of button pushes are required. It's just more intuitive for the users that have been pressing "record" right from the outset.
They should've considered this.
In addition, there should be an option to fine-tune "series" recordings simply and easily. You should be able to choose the specific days of the week from a single screen. There are certain shows that air everyday. If you prefer to record that particular show only on certain days (for example, Mon.- Fri), you now have to navigate the guide (the 24 hour "blue" button may now get some additional use) and delete episodes individually! They obviously added this option for a reason but they didn't get it quite right. Obviously, you could simply set specific recordings (using the original method) but if they intended to make this entire process easier, why not provide a single screen where you can edit the days of the week. Simple and easy. This is the way it was done on "ReplayTV" units and I believe that it's on "T**o" units as well. Although it may only be used occasionally, it's a nice feature and it streamlines this process.
I'll report back as the days progress and I get to spend more time "test driving" 114R.

Last edited by OTA_jay; 11-25-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page