post #5941 of 5958 Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
From the Channel Masters Facebook page today reguarding 2TB HDDs:
A lot of the early 2TB drives were actually a pair of 1TB drives running RAID Level 0 and are to be avoided.
Not only because of varying levels of support but because RAID level 0 doubles the chance hardware failure resulting in complete data loss.

The ONLY arguments I can think of in support of RAID level 0 are:
1. Improved write speeds.
2. Less expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 5958 Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fine Adjustments Would Be Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Perhaps a "late night talk show" option that automatically starts 1 minute late? That would be nice.
What would be nice is what my Sony DHG had. It let me adjust start/end times (both ways) in increments of 1, up to 10 min., and then by 5s or 10s. (My memory of using it is, of course, growing dimmer by the day.)

And besides that, the Sony had about 6 quality levels for recording! What a space saver that was! Why are today's DVRs largely too stupid to do a thing like that? Boggles the mind. You gain some good things, only to lose other ones. This might make sense a decade ago, but not today. Isn't technology advancing anymore? I understand that Moore's Law is steadily collapsing, but still...

I'm sure I'll wake shortly from this dream and find that DVRs are exactly where they should be today.
pachinko likes this.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]

Last edited by SirCrow; Yesterday at 05:48 PM. Reason: ext. link
post #5943 of 5958 Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
What would be nice is what my Sony DHG had. It let me adjust start/end times (both ways) in increments of 1, up to 10 min., and then by 5s or 10s. (My memory of using it is, of course, growing dimmer by the day.)
And besides that, the Sony had about 6 quality levels for recording! What a space saver that was! Why are today's DVRs largely too stupid to do a thing like that? Boggles the mind. You gain some good things, only to lose other ones. This might make sense a decade ago, but not today. Isn't technology advancing anymore? I understand that Moore's Law is steadily collapsing, but still...
I'm sure I'll wake shortly from this dream and find that DVRs are exactly where they should be today.
I know. I still have four DHG units. You can adjust the recording speed/quality on Magnavox DVDR recorders. But I only use HD. Still have two Maggies also. We could rant about how most people just want a "toaster" anymore, but that would be too far.
post #5944 of 5958 Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
the Sony had about 6 quality levels for recording! What a space saver that was! Why are today's DVRs largely too stupid to do a thing like that? Boggles the mind.
That's not what DVRs do. A DVR records the information sent by the station directly. The size of the recording depends upon how much of its available bitrate the station devotes to each program. The DVR has absolutely no control over the size of the recordings you make, so it is not within CM's power to do anything about it.

A DVD/HDD recorder, in contrast, is designed to convert analogue sources into digital output, such as dubbing a tape to a DVD-R. DVD recorders, therefore, contain MPEG-2 encoders that can compress videos on the fly. This extra hardware is what gives you the ability to select the quality of the recording. HDTV is already digital, so there is no reason for DVR makers to include this extra piece of expensive hardware.
post #5945 of 5958 Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

10 years ago there wasn't any TB hard drives, so you needed to be able to select quality levels to save that space.
post #5946 of 5958 Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM

Sony's Worst Was Actually Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
That's not what DVRs do. A DVR records the information sent by the station directly. The size of the recording depends upon how much of its available bitrate the station devotes to each program. The DVR has absolutely no control over the size of the recordings you make, so it is not within CM's power to do anything about it.

A DVD/HDD recorder, in contrast, is designed to convert analogue sources into digital output, such as dubbing a tape to a DVD-R. DVD recorders, therefore, contain MPEG-2 encoders that can compress videos on the fly. This extra hardware is what gives you the ability to select the quality of the recording. HDTV is already digital, so there is no reason for DVR makers to include this extra piece of expensive hardware.
All of that is completely meaningless to me when I consider one thing: The Sony DHG recorded a HD picture that, to my discerning eye, was slightly superior to that of the DVR+. And that's at the LOWEST QUALITY setting!! Period. And furthermore...

I forget what else I was going to say. Just kidding. There is nothing more to say.

P.S.
If it was within Sony's power 10 yrs. ago, then it certainly should be within CM's power today. Period.
pachinko likes this.

post #5947 of 5958 Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

"Resume" Moving Tech Forward, I Say.

Quote:
I know. I still have four DHG units. You can adjust the recording speed/quality on Magnavox DVDR recorders. But I only use HD. Still have two Maggies also. We could rant about how most people just want a "toaster" anymore, but that would be too far.
Yes, they settle for "toasters" and Resume where you left off. I just don't know what to say anymore -- which should please many on this forum. I haven't bothered CM in a while; think I'll go and do that. I did find a new bug. Now if I can just remember what it was...

Last edited by SirCrow; Yesterday at 07:59 PM. Reason: Edit for Reason
post #5948 of 5958 Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
All of that is completely meaningless to me when I consider one thing: The Sony DHG recorded a HD picture that, to my discerning eye, was slightly superior to that of the DVR+. And that's at the LOWEST QUALITY setting!! Period. And furthermore...

I forget what else I was going to say. Just kidding. There is nothing more to say.

P.S.
If it was within Sony's power 10 yrs. ago, then it certainly should be within CM's power today. Period.
Interesting eye you have! My understanding is with the DVR+ you get the same stream of bits as the original signal - so you get the exact same picture as the live stream.
post #5949 of 5958 Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_ View Post
Interesting eye you have! My understanding is with the DVR+ you get the same stream of bits as the original signal - so you get the exact same picture as the live stream.
My understanding is that you are correct. It's easy to test. Just find a 480i subchannel and see if you can record 90 minutes of that channel on the internal 16GB drive. Usually 1080i is just under 8GB, 720p is under 6, etc, so you get and record what the broadcaster sends unaltered. Small variations can be due to audio (5.1 vs 2.0) and commercials.
post #5950 of 5958 Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
It's easy to test.
As you can see from these recordings I'll probably never watch (hence not yet deleted) file size varies greatly based on many factors beyond resolution such as sub-channels. As an example "New Girl" (720p - 30 minutes) is larger per minute than "The Voice" (1080i - 60 minute and 120 minute recordings).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	13
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	387473  
post #5951 of 5958 Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_ View Post
Yes, the placebo effect is a powerful thing. It's impossible for the DHG's transcoded picture to look better than the original, since a lossy copy can only get worse, not better.
post #5952 of 5958 Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
I have 114R firmware, and the page up/down keys wrap just fine on mine.
Yep, apparently this was fixed. Post corrected.
post #5953 of 5958 Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

There is a way to do what the OP wants without noticeable loss of quality or a dedicated MPEG encoder: include a transcoding algorithm in the firmware to convert the received MPEG-2 stream to, say, h.264.

But doing this in real time, especially on HD channels, would require a pretty powerful microprocessor, raising the DVR+ cost, I'd say around $50-$100. So transcoding would best be left to a "when idle" background process; i.e., when you record it, the file's big, but it gets automagically replaced with a smaller file sometime during the next day or so.
post #5954 of 5958 Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
There is a way to do what the OP wants without noticeable loss of quality or a dedicated MPEG encoder: include a transcoding algorithm in the firmware to convert the received MPEG-2 stream to, say, h.264.

But doing this in real time, especially on HD channels, would require a pretty powerful microprocessor, raising the DVR+ cost, I'd say around $50-$100.
What file format does Simple.TV use?
Last Updated: Sep 27, 2012 04:18PM PDT
Simple.TV encodes video in H.264. We record three streams simultaneously and package them as an HLS stream (HTTP Live Streaming), to ensure optimal quality on small and large screens.

http://support.simple.tv/customer/po...simple-tv-use-

Is Simple.TV "HD"?
Last Updated: Sep 27, 2012 04:18PM PDT
Yes. Simple.TV captures broadcast HD and transcodes it to multiple bit-rate video files for streaming.

http://support.simple.tv/customer/po...e-tv-%22hd%22-

How many streams does Tablo record per tuner?

February 27, 2014 14:39
We record a single stream at the resolution the user selects (1080p, 720p or SD).

http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/...ord-per-tuner-

What is Tablo’s video quality like?

February 07, 2014 16:50
Most broadcasters distribute signals at 720p or 1080i. Tablo enables you to select the video quality you want to record in. You can record/playback at the same quality coming out of your antenna, or choose to save storage space and record at lower quality.

http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/...-quality-like-

Last edited by Charles R; Yesterday at 11:14 PM.
post #5955 of 5958 Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM

I Know When I'm Right

A certain fool on this forum is once again calling me, basically, stupid. But that's all I've come to expect from him, so it's OK.

post #5956 of 5958 Old Today, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't know if I would be trotting out Simple.TV or Tablo as examples. Both of them are fine for streaming to tablets or other small screens.

Both look terrible when sending that transcoded signal to a big-screen TV.
post #5957 of 5958 Old Today, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert Souse' View Post
A lot of the early 2TB drives were actually a pair of 1TB drives running RAID Level 0 and are to be avoided.
Not only because of varying levels of support but because RAID level 0 doubles the chance hardware failure resulting in complete data loss.

The ONLY arguments I can think of in support of RAID level 0 are:
1. Improved write speeds.
2. Less expensive.
I would have hard time to find such enclosure (two HDDs "hidden" in one enclosure and buyers are not informed by reading a description of the box).

Very week argument came from CM.
post #5958 of 5958 Old Today, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
I would have hard time to find such enclosure (two HDDs "hidden" in one enclosure and buyers are not informed by reading a description of the box).

Very week argument came from CM.
Yes they are seldom seen these days tho I am sure a few still are still available.

The reason I remember it is because a couple years ago I was still on Dish satellite when they released FW to make their receiver into a simple DVR by plugging in a USB EHD and formatting it.
Dish specifically excluded any EHD that consisted of more than 1 drive as being supported.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page