AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Recorders > Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread

HDTV Recorders

MKS13's Avatar MKS13
10:26 PM Liked: 57
post #6601 of 6617
Yesterday | Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by owburp View Post
I have that problem as well. And I don't think resetting the DVR+ is the complete answer. I found that the remote goes unresponsive fairly quickly after a reset so I searched for a different route.
Others have felt that replacing the batteries is the answer and I wonder how long the new batteries will last before the remote starts acting up again.
What I have found so far is an "ugly" solution. Someone back in post 5000 or so suggested bending the contacts under the batteries. Instead of doing that, I put a thin cardboard shim between the batteries and the removable access door. Now, when the remote becomes unresponsive, I squeeze the spot where the shim is and the remote starts working again. Until someone comes up with a better answer (or finds fresh batteries will last longer than a few months), I'll stay with this one.
If putting a shim in the remote fixes the problem, it would indicate that the batteries are not weak.
I just replaced the batteries in a unit that was purchased Feb 2014, because of remote response. However I also tweaked the springs under the batteries at the same time, so what cured the remote response I don't really know-- not a good trouble shooting procedure, it should be one thing at a time, but it was the safer route as it was my wife's unit.
As to battery cost, they can be found on Amazon for $.50 each or your local Dollar General for the same price.
OTA_jay's Avatar OTA_jay
11:52 PM Liked: 30
post #6602 of 6617
Yesterday | Posts: 283
Quote:
Others have felt that replacing the batteries is the answer and I wonder how long the new batteries will last before the remote starts acting up again.

What I have found so far is an "ugly" solution. Someone back in post 5000 or so suggested bending the contacts under the batteries. Instead of doing that, I put a thin cardboard shim between the batteries and the removable access door. Now, when the remote becomes unresponsive, I squeeze the spot where the shim is and the remote starts working again. Until someone comes up with a better answer (or finds fresh batteries will last longer than a few months), I'll stay with this one.
Firstly, if you're relying upon the OEM batteries that came with the unit, it's best not to assume that replacing them won't help. The age and quality of the batteries provided are highly questionable (as would be $.50 dollar store type batteries, as was someone's suggestion).
Best to replace the OEM batteries with a fresh set of Duracell's (which are superior to the OEM/dollar store variety).
At least this way you'll know for sure whether or not the batteries are the source of the problem.

Secondly, instead of using "shims" and bending (and possibly breaking) contacts, why not consider asking Channel Master to replace the remote under warranty?
Since you can't be left without the use of a remote, the only solution would be for them to mail one out and have you send back the original one when you receive it (even if they have to debit and then credit back your credit card).
Anything less than this would be poor customer relations on their part!
The design (using button batteries) and build quality of these remotes seems to be questionable at best (based upon numerous reports here of problematic remotes).
owburp
12:26 AM Liked: 0
post #6603 of 6617
Today | Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post
If putting a shim in the remote fixes the problem, it would indicate that the batteries are not weak.
I just replaced the batteries in a unit that was purchased Feb 2014, because of remote response. However I also tweaked the springs under the batteries at the same time, so what cured the remote response I don't really know ...
I remember reading someone here had suggested that same tweaking of the springs, but I had done that once or twice with other equipment and the tabs eventually broke from repeated "tweakings". Not wanting to take that chance with a relatively new unit (got it on a July 4 special), I thought the shims idea was a safer alternative. As I said, it's an ugly solution requiring some manual dexterity what with squeezing the battery hatch while pushing the right buttons. All I know is that the frustration of an unresponsive remote is virtually gone using the shims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
Firstly, if you're relying upon the OEM batteries that came with the unit, it's best not to assume that replacing them won't help. ...
I know at some point, the remote will once again become unresponsive even with the squeezing; that's when I will change the batteries. Then I expect I'll note how long the new batteries last before I have to resort to shims again.

[Don't call me cheap. Call me frugal.]

Here's another question: I know some posters here have switched to a Dish 20.1 remote. Are you experiencing these unresponsive episodes as well?
OTA_jay's Avatar OTA_jay
12:55 AM Liked: 30
post #6604 of 6617
Today | Posts: 283
Quote:
I know at some point, the remote will once again become unresponsive even with the squeezing; that's when I will change the batteries. Then I expect I'll note how long the new batteries last before I have to resort to shims again.
[Don't call me cheap. Call me frugal.]

Here's another question: I know some posters here have switched to a Dish 20.1 remote. Are you experiencing these unresponsive episodes as well?
Sorry to belabor this but it would be in your best interest to invest in a set of new Duracell's. If that doesn't solve your problem, talk to Channel Master (or send them an e-mail if you prefer) about getting a replacement remote.
You shouldn't need to go through all that trouble just to get your unit to respond to the remote!

I've had no experience with the Dish remote but there have been numerous reports here of programming issues (as it's a learning remote and they can be difficult and tedious to set up).
bernieoc's Avatar bernieoc
06:11 AM Liked: 19
post #6605 of 6617
Today | Posts: 194
I am using the Dish 20.1 - had occasional sluggish response on previous release - no problem since.
Another benefit - you can aim the 20.1 way off target and it works - I found the original required more of a direct aim (earlier release)
Yes programming is a chore - I am still working on unit #2 to control TV volume without using the TV button first the switching back to AUX, Did it succesfull on first unit - have not fixed #2 yet - it means starting over.
artisticimaging's Avatar artisticimaging
08:01 AM Liked: 33
post #6606 of 6617
Today | Posts: 168
I am using a AA battery learning remote for my DVR+ I bought in January;I have had no problem with sluggish response except when the overlay is on.
Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives
01:03 PM Liked: 450
post #6607 of 6617
Today | Posts: 3,124
If you're really that worried about batteries, get a small multimeter at your local electronics store so you can just measure their voltage instead of guessing whether they are causing problems. A battery is a battery; as long as you're getting ~1.5V out of it, it doesn't matter if it's some knockoff-brand cell or a well known one.
OTA_jay's Avatar OTA_jay
02:20 PM Liked: 30
post #6608 of 6617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
A battery is a battery; as long as you're getting ~1.5V out of it, it doesn't matter if it's some knockoff-brand cell or a well known one.
This isn't necessarily true.
You may get 1.5V out of a battery
.....but for how long?
Knockoffs may only have a brief shelf life and/or time in use. They're typically not dated and could be sitting around for quite awhile before you even put them into use. I've also seen OEM or knockoffs that were of a different formulation (such as alkaline, which could be 50% or more depleted by the time you purchase them).
These type of batteries are supposed to be lithium.
Sometimes (not always) you get what you pay for. This is one of those times.
BNystrom's Avatar BNystrom
02:30 PM Liked: 10
post #6609 of 6617
Today | Posts: 3
I just picked up a slightly used DVR+ with a Seagate 1TB external drive, the CM wireless dongle and a Mohu Leaf 50+ antenna. Upgrading the software via wireless took over two hours, which is pretty insane for a 67MB download, but it's working fine. I'd like to move the Seagate drive into the DVR+ instead of hanging it on the outside and I've emailed CM to find out if that will work. I assume so, since their DVR+ 1TB seems to be the same configuration. Hopefully, there aren't any firmware or software differences.

I've had a Logitech Harmony One remote for a few years and I programmed it to work with the DVR+ without any significant issues, once I learned that you have to enter it as model CM-7500GB16 (Channel Master doesn't include the dash in the model number on the DVR+ box).

I'll test the Mohu antenna on a bedroom TV that's not on my main antenna, to see if it's any better than the amplified Recoton that's on it now.
Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives
02:46 PM Liked: 450
post #6610 of 6617
Today | Posts: 3,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
This isn't necessarily true. You may get 1.5V out of a battery .....but for how long?
Yes, but that's not relevant for the point at hand, which is determining whether the batteries are causing problems with the remote. If you measure the batteries' voltage and determine that they are still charged, then you can definitively rule them out as being the cause of the problem. How long they last isn't related to troubleshooting the DVR's current unresponsiveness.
Van T
03:12 PM Liked: 0
post #6611 of 6617
Today | Posts: 1
I've tried both the Seagate STBV1000100 and STBV2000100 corded desktop drives, but the DVR+ will not format either. It recognizes the drives, asks if I want to format, then doesn't let me complete the setup (instead of "finish", my only choice is "cancel"). I realize now that the unit will not support a 2TB drive, but why not a 1TB drive? C.M. suggested that I try to return the drives and buy Seagate models STCD500102, STBX1000100, STBU1000100, STCA3000100 or STBV3000100. I just wanted to use a corded desktop drive. I've read many posts here, and people seem to have success with just about any drive, even SATA drives in enclosures. What is it about a brand new Seagate desktop expansion drive that makes it incompatible, and is there any way to make it work? I'm tired of wasting money.
OTA_jay's Avatar OTA_jay
03:35 PM Liked: 30
post #6612 of 6617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van T View Post
I've tried both the Seagate STBV1000100 and STBV2000100 corded desktop drives, but the DVR+ will not format either. It recognizes the drives, asks if I want to format, then doesn't let me complete the setup (instead of "finish", my only choice is "cancel"). I realize now that the unit will not support a 2TB drive, but why not a 1TB drive? C.M. suggested that I try to return the drives and buy Seagate models STCD500102, STBX1000100, STBU1000100, STCA3000100 or STBV3000100. I just wanted to use a corded desktop drive. I've read many posts here, and people seem to have success with just about any drive, even SATA drives in enclosures. What is it about a brand new Seagate desktop expansion drive that makes it incompatible, and is there any way to make it work? I'm tired of wasting money.
FYI.....
I had two DOA Seagate 1TB drives (back to back)!
Exchanged for WD and no problems.
In your case, you may have a defective DVR+ (anything is possible) but I would first try a WD "Elements" or "My Passport Ultra" portable drive prior to making this determination. The "Elements" will be less costly and is actually the same drive minus back-up software that is useless in this application.
If you prefer a drive in an enclosure, consider either a WD "Elements" or "My Book".
There have been fewer issues reported here from WD users vs. Seagate.
I have no axe to grind. My experiences with Seagate drives (and that WD has a better reputation these days overall) is why I recommend WD. Period, end of story.
Good luck!
OTA_jay's Avatar OTA_jay
03:40 PM Liked: 30
post #6613 of 6617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Yes, but that's not relevant for the point at hand, which is determining whether the batteries are causing problems with the remote. If you measure the batteries' voltage and determine that they are still charged, then you can definitively rule them out as being the cause of the problem. How long they last isn't related to troubleshooting the DVR's current unresponsiveness.
True.....but there's a question mark regarding whether or not they're producing the (essential) 1.5V to start with.
The average person won't have a meter or tester (and shouldn't have to invest in one).
Best to rule out this issue altogether by investing a few dollars for known, reliable batteries from the outset.
JoeKustra's Avatar JoeKustra
03:53 PM Liked: 135
post #6614 of 6617
Today | Posts: 6,776
I hate to get involved, but why not. Using a meter to test batteries is not 100% accurate. That's why you can buy a battery tester. A multimeter is designed to NOT put a load on the source. A battery tester is designed to place a load on the battery. For AA batteries I simply use a flashlight. For AAA I built a small tester from parts at Radio Shack. I used a high load lamp too. Batteries used in NiMH chargers are rated by the current they can produce over a period of time, just like a car battery. An almost dead battery will produce 1.5v without a load, but make it work and that voltage may drop to zero. So, I always put Lithium (bunny) batteries in my remotes and never use those shipped with the device. Some last for years. A good remote will also have an LED that can indicate strength. That "other" device, when using an RF remote, can also show the remote's battery's condition. If you feel a CVS 50 cent battery is the same as Energizer $2.50 battery, then sleep well. I don't.
Tags: Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart

Reply HDTV Recorders

Subscribe to this Thread