post #6631 of 6647 Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
If you're really that worried about batteries, get a small multimeter at your local electronics store so you can just measure their voltage instead of guessing whether they are causing problems. A battery is a battery; as long as you're getting ~1.5V out of it, it doesn't matter if it's some knockoff-brand cell or a well known one.
The two CR2032 remote's batteries has nominal voltage around 3VDC each.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6632 of 6647 Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you're really that worried about batteries, get a small multimeter at your local electronics store so you can just measure their voltage instead of guessing whether they are causing problems. A battery is a battery; as long as you're getting ~1.5V out of it, it doesn't matter if it's some knockoff-brand cell or a well known one.
the CR2032 batteries has normal voltage at 3VDC
JHBrandt likes this.
post #6633 of 6647 Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
... As the alkaline batteries in various devices exhaust, they're all being replaced with either Eneloops or with Energizer lithium batteries. Save the rectangular 9V cells: I'm eliminating all alkaleak batteries.

I had one of those. Had. All the batteries, along with the chargers, just got sent to the recycler earlier this year.

The product disappeared because its performance was abysmal. You could get nowhere near the number of charge/discharge cycles out of their batteries as they claimed you could.

Jim
Ditto on the Eneloops; nearly all of the rechargables I use are Eneloops. The charger I'm using is a La Crosse BC-9009 -- no longer available but replaced by a La Crosse BC-700; there's also a PowerEx MH-C9000 -- that charges, analyzes and refreshes rechargables. Excellent stuff; check out the Amazon page for them and especially the reviews by NLee the Engineer, who writes really informative and educational reviews.

I used to use those same "alkaleaks" in my AA MAG flashlights. Whenever the Duracells would leak in them, I'd send the flashlight back to MAG and they would replace the flashlight for free based on an agreement they had with Duracell. Four or five MAG lights replaced later, I've switched to Eneloops. I've also switched to a Streamlight flashlight.

Apologies for taking this off-topic further off topic.
post #6634 of 6647 Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNystrom View Post
Has anyone tried replacing the 16GB internal flash drive with a larger hard drive? I realize that this would likely void the warranty, but I'm looking at buying a used unit that wouldn't have a warranty anyway.
Well, unlike a SSD for a PC, the 16GB internal "drive" isn't a separate unit; just some flash ROM on the motherboard.

There is room for a 2.5" HDD within the case; that's where the 1TB drive goes in the more expensive model. But there's no hardware to connect a 2.5" drive to the motherboard on the 16GB models.

For mounting a drive internally in a 16GB DVR+, your best bet would be to remove the case from the smallest USB HDD you can find. If you're lucky, the "guts" might just barely fit inside. You'd still have to figure out a way to secure it and to run a USB cable from the drive's connector through the DVR+ case, and around to one of the DVR+'s USB ports. That would probably involve drilling some holes without getting metal filings into the circuitry. Good luck.

Frankly, it'd be a lot easier to just Velcro a good USB drive to the case and be done with it.
post #6635 of 6647 Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question Media Server over Network

I've searched this thread for "Media Server" and read all 19 hits. So I have done my homework. Many posts were from Jan of 14. I just got my DVR+ for xmas December 2014, so I'm checking if anything has changed over the last year.

What I want to do:
Since the DVR+ connects to the home network (mine is via wired ethernet) I was hoping the device would be discoverable over the network. Then I could add the drive library to my Plex/TVersity/Windows Media Servers. Either or all. My goal is not to access when away from home. I know I can just get the Slingbox for that. My goal is to watch saved shows from the other 2 TVs in the house. Since the DVR+ does not encrypt the video, I figured this could be doable. One TV is equipped with a Roku, the other an Amazon Fire TV.

I can see that the device is not discoverable. I have found nothing in the menus to "share" the device over the network. From what I've read if I try to type the DVR's IP address in a web browser, I wont get anything. Is that still true today? I've read lots of posts of people pointing out how easy it would be for CM to update software to allow this, but it doesn't seem they have. It's not worth my time to unplug my hard drive attached to the DVR+, take it to my PC and copy files. I might as well just get out of bed, go to the living room, and watch there. If any of my assumptions are wrong, please update me.

Another Idea:
Now that I have the DVR and I know it's not discoverable, I was thinking about getting an external hard drive with both USB and ethernet ports. (Something like the Seagate Business Storage NAS 1-Bay 2TB Network Attached Storage STBM2000100 for example) I'm thinking the USB will allow the DVR+ to record to it, the ethernet port would allow me to view the drive on the network and do exactly what I'm trying to do. The HDDs with both ports are much more expensive, so I'd like to know if my assumption is correct? I'm not sure what the CM DVR does to the drive when it formats it. Would the formatting erase the software (if any) that allows network connectivity of the drive?

Any help, updated info is greatly appreciated. Just for reference, I like to think I'm fairly good with technology and gadgets, short of having any formal training. If there is a way to configure the setup I'm looking for, without having to be a programer or alter the CM DVR+ software, I can probably handle it.

Thanks!
post #6636 of 6647 Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Well, unlike a SSD for a PC, the 16GB internal "drive" isn't a separate unit; just some flash ROM on the motherboard.

There is room for a 2.5" HDD within the case; that's where the 1TB drive goes in the more expensive model. But there's no hardware to connect a 2.5" drive to the motherboard on the 16GB models.

For mounting a drive internally in a 16GB DVR+, your best bet would be to remove the case from the smallest USB HDD you can find. If you're lucky, the "guts" might just barely fit inside. You'd still have to figure out a way to secure it and to run a USB cable from the drive's connector through the DVR+ case, and around to one of the DVR+'s USB ports. That would probably involve drilling some holes without getting metal filings into the circuitry. Good luck.

Frankly, it'd be a lot easier to just Velcro a good USB drive to the case and be done with it.
Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to know. Given this, I'll live with the external drive.
post #6637 of 6647 Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
The product disappeared because its performance was abysmal. You could get nowhere near the number of charge/discharge cycles out of their batteries as they claimed you could.
Their main limitation is that you can't fully discharge them. If you want them to last, you must recharge them before they reach < 50% of their capacity. If you fully drain them even once, they're ruined and won't hold a charge anymore, which is annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
The two CR2032 remote's batteries has nominal voltage around 3VDC each.
Using button batteries in a remote is what I'd call a poor design choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_ajb View Post
Any help, updated info is greatly appreciated. Just for reference, I like to think I'm fairly good with technology and gadgets, short of having any formal training. If there is a way to configure the setup I'm looking for, without having to be a programer or alter the CM DVR+ software, I can probably handle it.
There are rumours that CM is going to reveal a whole-home DVR solution at CES, but it's only speculation so far. If they don't, you're going to need to go the HTPC or TiVo route to do what you want. The DVR+ currently doesn't have any features for whole-home TV.
post #6638 of 6647 Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Their main limitation is that you can't fully discharge them. If you want them to last, you must recharge them before they reach < 50% of their capacity. If you fully drain them even once, they're ruined and won't hold a charge anymore, which is annoying.
I think it depends on the type of rechargeable battery. LiION batteries can't take full discharges (I've killed many a laptop battery doing this before learning not to), but NiMH batteries do better with occasional refresh/recondition cycles of discharge/charge. That's what the LaCross and PowerEx chargers are able to do.
post #6639 of 6647 Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Their main limitation is that you can't fully discharge them. If you want them to last, you must recharge them before they reach < 50% of their capacity. If you fully drain them even once, they're ruined and won't hold a charge anymore, which is annoying...
I can only speak of my personal experience with the Sanyo Eneloop "AA" and "AAA" cells. I have eight pairs of "AA", and two pairs of "AAA". The oldest "AA" are 6 or 7 years old, and have been completely discharged many times over the years. They continue to charge back up and maintain their charge for extended periods afterward, whether "in use" or sitting idle. With regard to a previous comment someone made concerning current capacity, the "AA" I have are rated 2000 mAH, and the "AAA" are rated 800 mAH.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
post #6640 of 6647 Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by owburp View Post
I think it depends on the type of rechargeable battery. LiION batteries can't take full discharges (I've killed many a laptop battery doing this before learning not to), but NiMH batteries do better with occasional refresh/recondition cycles of discharge/charge. That's what the LaCross and PowerEx chargers are able to do.
Is there a "battery" thread? 😉
post #6641 of 6647 Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by owburp View Post
I think it depends on the type of rechargeable battery.
Yes, it does. SEMIJim and I were discussing the limitations of rechargeable alkalines.
post #6642 of 6647 Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM

Quote:
SEMIJim and I were discussing the limitations of rechargeable alkalines.
AH! I went back and re-read the posts. Ooops, my bad.
post #6643 of 6647 Old Today, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
There are rumours that CM is going to reveal a whole-home DVR solution at CES, but it's only speculation so far. If they don't, you're going to need to go the HTPC or TiVo route to do what you want. The DVR+ currently doesn't have any features for whole-home TV.
I keenly await a whole house solution. Please let us know the source of this rumor!
post #6644 of 6647 Old Today, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread

I have been an AVS Forum member for quite some time, but I am new to this thread. Anyway, I have been a DISH Network subscriber for a long time. I am currently using the DISH 722K, as well as a Slingbox PRO HD. With DISH currently at odds with Fox News Network, I have had my interest rekindled in "cutting the cord" so to speak. My wife and both sons get the majority of their content via Netflix. We still watch Over The Air and I am thinking that if I were to get a Channel Master DVR+ so my wife could record her soap opera from CBS through the week, we would be all set.

Anyway, I will read back through the previous posts to get a better feel for this unit. About the only questions I have currently are:

-How well this would work with just SlingBox 500 (I have the PRO HD)?

-Where is a good place to buy one of these? (Is Best Buy or Home Depot a good choice?)

-Of the two models, which should I consider?

Last edited by Jim1348; Today at 06:40 AM.
post #6645 of 6647 Old Today, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Using button batteries in a remote is what I'd call a poor design choice. ...
My post was a correction of your mistake actually , so I would expect you'll go back and wipe it; it's DVR+'s remote's battery, BTW.
Quote:
A battery is a battery; as long as you're getting ~1.5V out of it, it doesn't matter if it's some knockoff-brand cell or a well known one

Last edited by P Smith; Today at 08:23 AM.
post #6646 of 6647 Old Today, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
I have been an AVS Forum member for quite some time, but I am new to this thread. Anyway, I have been a DISH Network subscriber for a long time. I am currently using the DISH 722K, as well as a Slingbox PRO HD. With DISH currently at odds with Fox News Network, I have had my interest rekindled in "cutting the cord" so to speak. My wife and both sons get the majority of their content via Netflix. We still watch Over The Air and I am thinking that if I were to get a Channel Master DVR+ so my wife could record her soap opera from CBS through the week, we would be all set.

Anyway, I will read back through the previous posts to get a better feel for this unit. About the only questions I have currently are:

-How well this would work with just SlingBox 500 (I have the PRO HD)?

-Where is a good place to buy one of these? (Is Best Buy or Home Depot a good choice?)

-Of the two models, which should I consider?
Jim,
SlingBox 500 is the recommended sling box for this unit as the DVR+ only has a single HDMI output.

I've seen it sold at Best Buy, Amazon, and Channel Master's own website. Not sure if it's anywhere else.

It all depends on what you want. Both technically have unlimited storage as a external HD can be hooked up to both models, but if you want more than 1 TB why get the 1 TB model. When I was considering purchasing I figured out I could get a 2 or 3 TB hard drive for anywhere between $90-$120, still less then the additional $150 they charge for the 1 TB model, so I just went with the 16 gb and purchased a 2TB HD for $95. All things you can consider.
post #6647 of 6647 Old Today, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van T View Post
I've tried both the Seagate STBV1000100 and STBV2000100 corded desktop drives, but the DVR+ will not format either. It recognizes the drives, asks if I want to format, then doesn't let me complete the setup (instead of "finish", my only choice is "cancel"). I realize now that the unit will not support a 2TB drive, but why not a 1TB drive? C.M. suggested that I try to return the drives and buy Seagate models STCD500102, STBX1000100, STBU1000100, STCA3000100 or STBV3000100. I just wanted to use a corded desktop drive. I've read many posts here, and people seem to have success with just about any drive, even SATA drives in enclosures. What is it about a brand new Seagate desktop expansion drive that makes it incompatible, and is there any way to make it work? I'm tired of wasting money.
I seem to remember this happening to someone else in the thread and the fix was to format the drive on your home computer and then install again on the DVR+.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page