Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 247 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 749Likes
post #7381 of 7400 Unread Today, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I agree that $400 for the 1TB model is too much, but I must be missing something. It was OK to spend $500 on an XBox One, but it's not OK to spend $300 on a DVR? Of course your financial situation probably changed a lot since the arrival of the baby, so that may explain it.

One thing you might try is "spoiling" your wife on the idea of a DVR. Start off with a $40 Homeworx and that same $30 HDD case. That will give you the benefit of pausing live TV and making some recordings (as long as a single tuner will do), and it will work with the XBox One.
Well, the Xbox One was purchased prior to the baby. Pre-Baby I had a decent Video Game collection, and in preparation I downsized to only the 360 and Wii and made about $5,000. I used that money to pay off some debt, and purchase items for the baby room (as well as completely redo the nursery room). Then I sold some books on Amazon and ended up with about $300 credit on there. I wanted to get a credit card with better gas rewards so I ended up being eligible for a Amazon card with $100 off my first purchase, so I picked up the Xbox One for the wife and I as our Christmas present/my birthday present. Things are a bit different now, my wife is back to work and daycare runs us $870 a month...

I was thinking about picking up the Homeworx but I've saw a lot of the recent reviews stating that they changed something and it currently won't work with the Xbox One. I've also saw a lot of people stating they can't schedule recordings, or once they get the firmware update to schedule they find they are missing 5-15 minutes of recordings. I decided it is better to put that $40 aside for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 7400 Unread Today, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Thanks chazdole and P Smith. It seems the cheap iView & Mediasonic DVR's are easier for pulling recordings.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #7383 of 7400 Unread Today, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray2772 View Post
I was thinking about picking up the Homeworx but I've saw a lot of the recent reviews stating that they changed something and it currently won't work with the Xbox One. I've also saw a lot of people stating they can't schedule recordings, or once they get the firmware update to schedule they find they are missing 5-15 minutes of recordings. I decided it is better to put that $40 aside for now.
Good call. I have tried the iView as well as the Homeworx. Both have issues. Very unreliable. Homeworx seems a bit better. Schedules change by themselves. Recordings missed. Crappy guide. But they are cheap, fun toys. They just can't be relied upon.
post #7384 of 7400 Unread Today, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
Thanks chazdole and P Smith. It seems the cheap iView & Mediasonic DVR's are easier for pulling recordings.
A little easier, in that you don't have to run Ext2Fsd. But the iView/HW recordings still only have names that are the date and channel, with no program info. And no way to rename the recorded programs with the iView/HW, if I recall correctly. I rename them via Windows, a time-consuming chore made easier using Rename, a nice 320k freeware batch renaming program.

We owe pachinko a debt of gratitude for his awesome DVR+ Log Lister program.
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by chazdole; Today at 08:59 AM. Reason: Added Link
post #7385 of 7400 Unread Today, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
I'm looking at DVR+ again, and the one thing I really need is the ability to pull recordings to my PC. Noticed this app built by pachinko in this forum... is it for pulling recordings? If not, please advise how... I assume the 16GB version is necessary over the 1TB version? Is it still necessary (as early on) to connect the USB hard drive to PC and use Ext2Fsd or similar to mount and copy files over?
FYI, the latest posted version of the ‘DVR+ Log Lister’ is posted HERE.

The ‘DVR+ Log Lister’ program does not currently copy the videos from the DVR+ onto a Windows PC. Rather, it’s an aid in identifying which cryptically named TS files on the USB HDD (names like Strm00E3.ts), are for which Show Titles. The DVR+’s USB HDD must be connected to the PC, and the Ext2Fsd program (or similar) is required for Windows to recognize the Linux formatted USB HDD.

It’s a shame, but neither of the DVR+ models provide the ability to directly copy videos to another device. But for clarity, since the 1TB version of the DVR+ also supports a USB HDD, it can be used for copying videos to a computer, BUT, only those recordings on the USB HDD can be copied. Those on the internal HDD cannot be copied unless you void the warranty, assume the risk, and physically move the internal HDD to a computer.

Is the process as easy as it should be? No! But if you don’t mind moving the USB HDD to the PC, it’s tolerable. As I find time, I’m working on a new version of ‘DVR+ Log Lister’ that will make the copying process easier, but you’ll still need Ext2Fsd.
post #7386 of 7400 Unread Today, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
FYI, the latest posted version of the ‘DVR+ Log Lister’ is posted HERE.

The ‘DVR+ Log Lister’ program does not currently copy the videos from the DVR+ onto a Windows PC. Rather, it’s an aid in identifying which cryptically named TS files on the USB HDD (names like Strm00E3.ts), are for which Show Titles. The DVR+’s USB HDD must be connected to the PC, and the Ext2Fsd program (or similar) is required for Windows to recognize the Linux formatted USB HDD.

It’s a shame, but neither of the DVR+ models provide the ability to directly copy videos to another device. But for clarity, since the 1TB version of the DVR+ also supports a USB HDD, it can be used for copying videos to a computer, BUT, only those recordings on the USB HDD can be copied. Those on the internal HDD cannot be copied unless you void the warranty, assume the risk, and physically move the internal HDD to a computer.

Is the process as easy as it should be? No! But if you don’t mind moving the USB HDD to the PC, it’s tolerable. As I find time, I’m working on a new version of ‘DVR+ Log Lister’ that will make the copying process easier, but you’ll still need Ext2Fsd.
So I assume there is no FTP access to the DVR+?
post #7387 of 7400 Unread Today, 09:09 AM

Quote:
None known!
post #7388 of 7400 Unread Today, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
None known!
That sucks... I assume no web interface either then?
post #7389 of 7400 Unread Today, 09:51 AM

Quote:
That sucks... I assume no web interface either then?
That's another, None Know! I think we all agree That Sucks!
post #7390 of 7400 Unread Today, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerhead View Post
Back to DVR+............. I disabled the wi-fi over a week ago while I was/still trying to figure out the problems between my router, ISP and security DVR. I noticed last night that the Rovi guide naturally ended, but the psip showed absolutely nothing. It would not even go past 9pm in the guide. Hit forward on the remote and nothing. Not even blank spots where it should have data. I thought when Rovi was not in play the other took over?
With 114R, I had to pull the power plug to get it to start pulling PSIP automatically. A warm boot (holding the power button) didn't work.

Luckily, my PSIP-only channels (Escape and Exitos) seem to be staying up-to-date since I pulled the power.
post #7391 of 7400 Unread Today, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
... I ended up being eligible for a Amazon card with $100 off my first purchase, so I picked up the Xbox One for the wife and I as our Christmas present/my birthday present. Things are a bit different now, my wife is back to work and daycare runs us $870 a month...

That makes sense. There was one fellow on the Homeworx thread who posted that he couldn't get his HW to work with his XBox One. He was convinced HW had changed something but I never was (HW still uses the same remote, so the same remote codes presumably still work). But we never tracked down the issue so who knows?

You could also go with an iView; it's basically the same box/same price with a different (better) remote and a (not very useful) LED front-panel display. XBox has recently added iView's remote to its code list.

I agree they're not the most reliable boxes. I was only suggesting one as a cheap stop-gap to help your wife see the advantages of a DVR. Once your finances improve, you could move up to a DVR+.
post #7392 of 7400 Unread Today, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
If FTP access is important to you, the TViX 6620 offers it.
post #7393 of 7400 Unread Today, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Brian, let me emphasize: bootable CD/DVD with MHDD or Victoria (for WinPC).
Preferable use MHDD, it should work on any PC what (include Mac if it's Intel based and) has one SATA port.
So, if I understand you, I have 2 problems. The first problem is that one cannot just download the free version of Victoria (view<something>.exe) and run it, instead it must be run from a bootable CD/DVD (and not from a USB thumb drive, for example). The second problem is that the HD must be attached as a Sata drive and not still in its USB external enclosure.

At present I know no one who has a PC that can accept a Sata drive, so that is an insurmountable problem, for now.

I am surprised about the requirement of the first problem, but that may be why I saw no menus which asked me for options like which drive to test, when I tried to use view<something>.exe .

Thanks for the help,

Brian in Atlanta
post #7394 of 7400 Unread Today, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post
That is disappointing. That was my fear, that it would have problems with my Vizio, as I want to get one for that TV. Perhaps my older TV is immune to the issue. But I only did a short test, perhaps 10 minutes.

I can't recall if you have tried different brands of HDMI cables?

I think my DVR+ was on 720p because the TV it had been on was only 720. I assumed it would automatically change to 1080 when moved to a 1080 TV and set to "Best Available."
The DVR+ issue I had with my Vizio came up immediately after power on. Your setup is probably okay (at least not the same issue) if you didn't see it within the first 10 minutes.

I have tried 3 different HDMI cables. 2 different ones from Monoprice and 1 that came with a Sony Blu-ray player. They all gave the same results on the Samsung and the Vizio. These cables also work when I ran 4k 30Hz signals through them so I ruled out the cables.

I can confirm that the DVR+ signal to Vizio is 1080P when using 108R but always native broadcast signal on 114R. I wonder what kind of output is everyone getting with 114R on working TVs?
chazdole likes this.
post #7395 of 7400 Unread Today, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_c View Post
The
I can confirm that the DVR+ signal to Vizio is 1080P when using 108R but always native broadcast signal on 114R. I wonder what kind of output is everyone getting with 114R on working TVs?
Pressing "info" on my LG TV remote indicates 1080p on all channels that I checked when watching thru dvr+ (114R) set to "best available"
If i switch inputs on the TV to "TV" (I have an extra antenna cable straight to the tv to bypass the dvr+ if its busy) then the TV info button shows 1080 or 480 depending on the channel.
post #7396 of 7400 Unread Today, 03:44 PM

So, tested the Rosewill RX-358 3.5" external enclosure on a PC;
When plugged into the computer via eSata, the drive (WD10EZRX) shuts off when the computer shuts off, even though the enclosure is switched on and powered by its wall wart.

But, when plugged in to the computer's USB, it does not shut off. So perhaps it is not entirely a DVR+ issue that the drive will not power or even spin down when DVR+ is in standby.

My smaller 2.5" USB powered drive (Hitachi 320GB) also doesn't shut down when DVR+ is in stdby. I will note that this same drive DID power down when used with the Homeworx unit. Another poster mentioned both of his Toshiba Canvio drives spin down in DVR+ stdby.

This post is not necessarily looking for a solution, but just to add another experience to the knowledge base.
post #7397 of 7400 Unread Today, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

One difference between the HW and DVR+ is that the DVR+ does not power down its USB ports in standby. That explains your Hitachi drive not powering down.

Most DVR+ users have therefore turned to drive-specific software to tell their drives to spin down after some period of inactivity. Also, some drives come factory-set to spin down after a period of inactivity. But not every HDD has this capability.
chazdole likes this.
post #7398 of 7400 Unread Today, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 34
FYI (relative to the above posts)......
The StarTech hard drive dock, model
SATDOCKU3SEF has a feature which (according to it's description) will power down the attached drive after a period of inactivity ("period" wasn't defined but I suppose it would be a short duration). It also has a fan.
Costs approx. $40.00 on Amazon.com.
The only downside (for me, at least) is that it's a dock vs. an enclosure, so the drive is exposed and aesthetically, it leaves something to be desired.
In a "hot-swap" scenario, a dock may be better (opinions vary). As a DVR+ drive, an enclosure is the better option.
Haven't yet found an enclosure with similar power saving options.
Does anyone here know of one??

Last edited by OTA_jay; Today at 06:19 PM.
post #7399 of 7400 Unread Today, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post
My smaller 2.5" USB powered drive (Hitachi 320GB) also doesn't shut down when DVR+ is in stdby. I will note that this same drive DID power down when used with the Homeworx unit. Another poster mentioned both of his Toshiba Canvio drives spin down in DVR+ stdby.
Best overall option for a "portable" drive would likely be the WD "My Passport Ultra". It "sleeps" after 30 minutes right out of the package. No intervention required. It's likely to be the most reliable "portable" drive out there as well. However, A 3.5" drive in an enclosure (or dock) would be more reliable in the long term (and may improve the overall record/playback performance of the DVR+).
The 1TB version is now $56.99 on Amazon.com - and - $45.00 at Staples (with a $25.00 rebate which expires on 1/31/15).
chazdole likes this.
post #7400 of 7400 Unread Today, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Folders - Changing the default name

When you record more than 1 episode of a show with the same name it puts it into a folder with the show title. I tried to make separate folders for each season of a show by appending the name of the show with Season 1, Season 2, etc... However when I do this the episodes are no longer put in a folder even though they have the same name.

Does anyone know how the folder structure works on the DVR+? Why it would group titles with the same show name but not those that are edited to names that are still identical? Seems odd to me. Anyone have any other organizational tips for saving shows over multiple seasons for easy retrieval later?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page