Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 248 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 750Likes
post #7411 of 7424 Unread Today, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
My MacBook Pro and Dell notebooks powering USB ports during sleep/stby mode. So, it's a way it's.
I suppose a 3.5" drive will handle being on 24/7 better than a laptop drive, and electricity use should be minimal.

I'll have to measure the current draw and calculate the watts. At least the heads will be parked.

By the way, some have worried about too many load/unload cycles with the WD 'green' drives; mine is set to park the heads at 12.8 sec., (default, couldn't change) but it only had 411 L/U cycles after 336 hours on the drive, so I don't think it will be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7412 of 7424 Unread Today, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Usually current draw in all mods listed in white papers/manuals at mfg sites
post #7413 of 7424 Unread Today, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Usually current draw in all mods listed in white papers/manuals at mfg sites
A direct measurement is the most accurate.
post #7414 of 7424 Unread Today, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post
Wonder if this is why CM has a 'preferred' hard drive list?
If that were truly the case, they'd be recommending the WD "My Passport Ultra" (portable) drive, since it "sleeps" by default after 30 minutes (right out of the package).
......while certain "recommended" Seagate drives would spin constantly!
People need to be less preoccupied with the fact that they recommend and especially.....sell Seagate drives exclusively.
Numerous other drives have worked perfectly well with the DVR+!

Last edited by OTA_jay; Today at 09:02 AM.
post #7415 of 7424 Unread Today, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
If that were truly the case, they'd be recommending the WD "My Passport Ultra" (portable) drive, since it "sleeps" by default after 30 minutes (right out of the package).
People need to be less preoccupied with the fact that they recommend and especially.....sell Seagate drives exclusively.
CM/E* still needs to put a priority on making the unit work with all current USB drives. I don't see any reason why they can't make it compatible to use larger drives also (so long as you don't exceed the 999 recordings limit). Hopefully the fix will be in the next FW release.

For me, spin down is not an issue. Never worried about it. Likely never will.

post #7416 of 7424 Unread Today, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Let's not forget that it is the devices responsibility, in this case the DVR+, to send out a USB sleep command when the system goes into standby.

I have media players with USB ports for attached HDD's. I have used externally powered Rosewill multi-drive enclosures with them as well as ready-built external USB drives (also externally powered). When the units go into standby, they send a USB sleep code which shuts down the drives. The units are still active on the network and any activity directed towards them causes the drives to spin up until the activity is complete then go to sleep again.

The DVR+ does not do that -- the designers obviously want the drive to spin constantly when the unit is in standby. Their recommended drives are ones that do not spin down on their own.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7417 of 7424 Unread Today, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
Not a fan of Seagate drives. But I'm not sure too many people are "preoccupied" by which drives CM recommends. Most of the people I have noticed are using drives they already have, or use their own preferred brand, or whatever is on sale at the time.

You can never be sure the reason a company recommends a particular drive- is it because they have tested hundreds of different drives for thousands of hours, or are they getting a kickback or some other remuneration?

I used to swear by Maxtor drives. Until I got a couple of clunkers that developed the 'click of death' way too soon. And I have had a couple of bad experiences with Seagates.

I suppose we each have our favorite.
post #7418 of 7424 Unread Today, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Let's not forget that it is the devices responsibility, in this case the DVR+, to send out a USB sleep command when the system goes into standby.-snip-The DVR+ does not do that -- the designers obviously want the drive to spin constantly when the unit is in standby. Their recommended drives are ones that do not spin down on their own.
I would tend to agree with this. But I don't know for sure. I don't remember anyone saying their external drive shut off completely when DVR+ is in stdby. Some have said their drives spin down.

My thinking is perhaps drive spinup/startup when waking from standby would take too long to suit CM/DVR+. You have to admit, it does start up and display video quickly. Not so much after being unplugged.

I will perform a test,
-Put DVR+ in stdby
-turn off power to ext drive
-simultaneously turn on DVR+ and drive

I suspect it will kick and scream about no drive connected, or "confirm this drive" or some such issue. If no problems, I will build a circuit to shut down my drive when DVR+ is in stdby. It's insane to have a drive spinning 24/7 when it might only be used 2 or 3 hours. Be right back.
post #7419 of 7424 Unread Today, 10:34 AM

As I suspected, the DVR+ is not happy if the drive is shut off, even if in standby. Had to go thru the whole "confirm" business.

Oh well. Will research how to get WD green drives to spin down on their own. Not a high priority at this point, more of an annoyance. Which I have probably become with all this yammering.
post #7420 of 7424 Unread Today, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A direct measurement is the most accurate.
I've being doing that in EE lab for years; there are many aspects, just a few (what is hard to execute in home) - expensive equipment, what must be calibrated regularly by specialized companies, enough DUT for statistically correct values, etc
post #7421 of 7424 Unread Today, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I've being doing that in EE lab for years; there are many aspects, just a few (what is hard to execute in home) - expensive equipment, what must be calibrated regularly by specialized companies, enough DUT for statistically correct values, etc
Hardly. Very easy to do. Measure the current, do the math, voila, done. I don't need precision down to the 1/1000th of a watt. They also make watt meters, but I don't own one.

No need to make it more complicated than it is. I trust my measurements more than I trust a company's pdf, edited by who knows. In addition, I'm testing their drive in MY enclosure.

Thanks anyway.
post #7422 of 7424 Unread Today, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I could proof my numbers what was taken into those PDFs . With test plans, test procedures, serial numbers of DMM, power supplies, eLoads, etc and dates/companies who/when did calibrations.
If you doing the measures for living ...

Good luck !
chazdole likes this.
post #7423 of 7424 Unread Today, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
It's insane to have a drive spinning 24/7 when it might only be used 2 or 3 hours.
Not at all. Anyway, my point is simply that there are probably design considerations that no one here knows anything about and those designs call for the drive to spin continuously in a ready state. Making the drive spin down when in standby simply because someone feels that is the way it should be, takes the burden off CM when something goes wrong.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7424 of 7424 Unread Today, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Not at all. Anyway, my point is simply that there are probably design considerations that no one here knows anything about and those designs call for the drive to spin continuously in a ready state. Making the drive spin down when in standby simply because someone feels that is the way it should be, takes the burden off CM when something goes wrong.
Could be. I'd like to hear what design considerations would call for not being able to wait the 10 seconds for a drive to start up. But why has every other DVR I have ever owned shut off the drive when shutting down? They seemed to handle it just fine. Is there some black magic voodoo stuff going on inside these thin, sleek beauties?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page