post #722 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post

I read it as they flew in a batch to get things started, and there are more crossing the Pacific by container ship.  A slow boat FROM China.

Chuck
I read it that the market appeal of this product goes far beyond the limited number of people posting on this thread. The pre-orders sucked their inventory dry almost immediately. That is certainly a good sign for the products success.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #723 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I read it that the market appeal of this product goes far beyond the limited number of people posting on this thread. The pre-orders sucked their inventory dry almost immediately. That is certainly a good sign for the products success.
I wouldn't be so excited - we don't know if first batch was 100 or 1000 items frown.gif most likely it was a small number
post #724 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

I wouldn't be so excited - we don't know if first batch was 100 or 1000 items frown.gif most likely it was a small number
And several of us that have been told our order is on the way have been asked to be beta-testers of these, reporting back to Channel Master with our thoughts on the unit. I hope they wouldn't be in mass production until they get some feedback, and have a chance to work out any kinks before shipping substandard products out. Doing exactly that is what ruined Dish's reputation with the DTVPalDVR.

post #725 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

well, take in account current FW version "101R" ie v1.01 and current UK's 610R's version 113R ... feel the joy to be a guinea.. umm a beta tester smile.gif
post #726 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
TP-LINK_TL-WN822N_v3/

Yes, I noticed this unit while searching for the external antenna style - I was impressed with it enough to print a page on it.
post #727 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

And that is without any significant advertising and before the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas where CM planned on debuting the DVR+ which isn't even close to a clone of the TiVo.  Regardless of what all of the "experts" have been saying over and over that "there is no significant market for OTA DVRs in the US" and that the cord-cutting trend away from cable isn't real.

post #728 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post

And several of us that have been told our order is on the way have been asked to be beta-testers of these, reporting back to Channel Master with our thoughts on the unit. I hope they wouldn't be in mass production until they get some feedback, and have a chance to work out any kinks before shipping substandard products out.
It was already beta tested before release. I was in contact with a beta tester for a couple months before it was released for pre-order. The hardware was set long ago and all they were doing was testing the firmware. Prior to release they were getting very frequent revisions. The original release target was 12/2/13 but that was pushed back because all the major issues with firmware were not resolved. My source told me the 101R firmware was stable and worked largely as advertised -- there are still some bugs to be resolved, but you have to draw a line somewhere otherwise you will never release. Firmware testing stopped a couple weeks before release.

You who are about to receive units are being solicited for customer feedback. They are not looking for UI feature requests but rather any large bugs that made it past the beta testing. As far as new features, the unit is largely "feature complete". The most likely feature updates will be the addition of support for more Internet streaming sites.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #729 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:

My source told me the 101R firmware was stable and worked largely as advertised -- there are still some bugs to be resolved, but you have to draw a line somewhere otherwise you will never release. Firmware testing stopped a couple weeks before release.

So do the DVRs that are shipping now have the 101R firmware already installed?

Do you know why they wouldn't consider adding some features like only recording new programs in a series?

post #730 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was already beta tested before release. I was in contact with a beta tester for a couple months before it was released for pre-order. The hardware was set long ago and all they were doing was testing the firmware. Prior to release they were getting very frequent revisions. The original release target was 12/2/13 but that was pushed back because all the major issues with firmware were not resolved. My source told me the 101R firmware was stable and worked largely as advertised -- there are still some bugs to be resolved, but you have to draw a line somewhere otherwise you will never release. Firmware testing stopped a couple weeks before release.

You who are about to receive units are being solicited for customer feedback. They are not looking for UI feature requests but rather any large bugs that made it past the beta testing. As far as new features, the unit is largely "feature complete". The most likely feature updates will be the addition of support for more Internet streaming sites.
the irony is only one real customer got the K77 from Cm and posting here frown.gif despite of 3/4 of thousand posts here and official/semi responses from CM
post #731 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

And I HAVE A FEELING - THERE WASN'T ANY REAL SHIPMENT.

If we are (most curious and close watching how the K77 coming to sales) had last info about preorders, then other preorders , got nothing but one device ?!
Tell me about strangers who (thousand of them ?) who came randomly to CM site, found the DVR+ preorder started and DID preorder ALL of them ? Got them all (how many ?) and keep SILENCE. Duh ?!
Sounds as BS. Sorry my language...
post #732 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD24 View Post

Do you know why they wouldn't consider adding some features like only recording new programs in a series?

Such a feature is impossible when the guide data doesn't specify whether programs are new or repeats.
post #733 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 03:37 PM

Liked: 14
I agree with P Smith. Like, how did so many "people" find out about the DVR+?
post #734 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Such a feature is impossible when the guide data doesn't specify whether programs are new or repeats.

True, but it's hard to imagine that it would be anything more than a trivial task for Rovi to add that kind of data to what it supplies to CM.  Every online guide that I have seen shows that kind of information.

post #735 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

the answer could be very simple:
'we got small batch (not hundred DVRs) and all of them given to gamma testers who must keep silence during the out-house testing, but a couple devices given to regular customers' ...

but for that move CM should be just honest with us, nothing else ... and it would keep their reputation at pristine level
post #736 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

True, but it's hard to imagine that it would be anything more than a trivial task for Rovi to add that kind of data to what it supplies to CM.  Every online guide that I have seen shows that kind of information.

And if you had a TiVo you would know not to trust it. Zap2It.com shows good data which it gets from Tribune Media, then TiVo's guide logic screws it up. Tvguide.com has improved a lot but frequently messes up the last day.

post #737 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

the answer could be very simple:
'we got small batch (not hundred DVRs) and all of them given to gamma testers who must keep silence during the out-house testing, but a couple devices given to regular customers' ...

If it works in the outhouse at Gamma's house, that's great electronics! smile.gif

Sorry, I had to. rolleyes.gif
kwg likes this.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #738 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet View Post

IOGEAR GWU627.  I got them from Cyberguys.com for about $39, but I think they are more like $33 on Amazon.  I've used them on a couple of HP laser printers.  They are 802.11n on the wireless, couldn't find a spec for the Ethernet side.  I've ordered the CM USB WiFi dongle, but when I get my unit, I'll pull a IOGEAR off a printer and test it.  I'm sure it will work - the DVR+ won't know it's not directly Ethernet-attached.
My DVR+ won't be delivered until Thursday, but I received an IOGEAR GWU627 Ethernet-WiFi bridge that I bought on ebay for $24.95. Configured it to talk to one of my .n wireless access points and tried it on the ethernet port of a laptop (with its WiFi turned off). Worked like a charm... very fast. Should work like a charm on the DVR+, and way less trouble than trying to find a compatible WiFi dongle. I can power it from the USB port not connected to an external drive, so no additional wall-wart required, though a 1A one came with the GWU627. One caveat: its web server control port is fixed at IP address 192.168.1.252; if you happen to have a 192.168.1.* network and that IP address is already in use by something, you could have a conflict. But that's pretty unlikely.

Update: I just found out that you can modify the default IP address of 192.168.1.252 using the menu at http://192.168.1.252/tcpiplan.asp. So if there is a conflict, or you want to have access to the control port of multiple GWU627s, problem solved.
post #739 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

And if you had a TiVo you would know not to trust it. Zap2It.com shows good data which it gets from Tribune Media, then TiVo's guide logic screws it up. Tvguide.com has improved a lot but frequently messes up the last day.

So if TiVo owners can't trust that the "Season Pass" will record all of the right episodes, why are they always saying how great it is and why are they so critical of the DVR+ for not having it?  It would be better to record all of the programs with the same name and manually delete the repeats than to think you have recorded all of the new programs only to find out later that one or more critical episodes were missed.

post #740 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Do you know the lineage of Rovi? They are the offspring/reincarnation of MacroVision.... a company that has never been known to act in the best interest of consumers...

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
post #741 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

And that is without any significant advertising and before the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas where CM planned on debuting the DVR+ which isn't even close to a clone of the TiVo.  Regardless of what all of the "experts" have been saying over and over that "there is no significant market for OTA DVRs in the US" and that the cord-cutting trend away from cable isn't real.

http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/2013/08/27/59700000-cable-cutters/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #742 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So if TiVo owners can't trust that the "Season Pass" will record all of the right episodes, why are they always saying how great it is and why are they so critical of the DVR+ for not having it?  It would be better to record all of the programs with the same name and manually delete the repeats than to think you have recorded all of the new programs only to find out later that one or more critical episodes were missed.

TiVo owners don't brag about guide issues since most do just what you suggested. There's even a special procedure to get The Daily Show. TiVo's guide has a problem with midnight and the same "new" program if shown twice in one day. I have used TVGOS by Rovi and never missed a program, and I have never missed a TiVo Season Pass program. But if I don't watch it I might get 10 copies of a program. If I could set a Season Pass for The Helix on SyFy this Friday at 10pm I would get a lot of copies. I like "new only", but would not miss it. A reliable 14 day guide on the DVR+ sounds fantastic.

And since I paid for the TiVo guide, I want it to be perfect.:) That and world peace.

post #743 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

So if TiVo owners can't trust that the "Season Pass" will record all of the right episodes, why are they always saying how great it is and why are they so critical of the DVR+ for not having it?

I had TiVo for over a decade and can count on one hand the number of goofs I experienced. Most of those were repeats not reflected as such... although they were so rare and I haven't used TiVo for a couple of years it's hard to remember.

| 
|
|
|
post #744 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

And I HAVE A FEELING - THERE WASN'T ANY REAL SHIPMENT.

If we are (most curious and close watching how the K77 coming to sales) had last info about preorders, then other preorders , got nothing but one device ?!
Tell me about strangers who (thousand of them ?) who came randomly to CM site, found the DVR+ preorder started and DID preorder ALL of them ? Got them all (how many ?) and keep SILENCE. Duh ?!
Sounds as BS. Sorry my language...
I would speculate that CM emailed their customers -- maybe people who had purchased CM7000s or CM7400s or simply bought new antennas. They may even have had a lot of inquiries given how long their site carries the obsolete models. I think the first place I heard about the DVR was a twitter of a blog post. This isn't the first place I heard about it.

post #745 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I had TiVo for over a decade and can count on one hand the number of goofs I experienced. Most of those were repeats not reflected as such... although they were so rare and I haven't used TiVo for a couple of years it's hard to remember.

Well I haven't owned a TiVo for over a decade so I will let you and Joe work this out.  At least for right now, when I get my DVR+ I won't have the option to choose a season pass so it matters little.

post #746 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I haven't owned a TiVo for over a decade so I will let you and Joe work this out.  At least for right now, when I get my DVR+ I won't have the option to choose a season pass so it matters little.

Will you be using the internet guide or PSIP? Having two weeks of listings is really nice.

post #747 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Will you be using the internet guide or PSIP? Having two weeks of listings is really nice.

I will be using the internet guide (I decided to run 75 feet of ethernet cable to my router rather than buy the wireless USB adapter).  Hope the Rovi guide is reliable.

post #748 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 05:36 PM

Liked: 12

Wow, I saw all of the posts in this forum and decided to join since we have also received our DVR+.  We were contacted to give initial feedback on the unit because we have ordered antennas, amplifiers and DVR's in the past from Channel Master.  I was worried that we were being asked to beta test the device so I asked if this was the case. I was assured that the DVR+ had went through several months of beta testing and that they planned to release sooner but wanted to make sure any major bugs were fixed so it was delayed.  The customer service representative that I talked to said that this was a special opportunity that was being offered to several hundred loyal CM customers.  I have the DVR+ and it is working very well so I passed the feedback on to Channel Master.

post #749 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 05:41 PM

Have you all seen all of the information on their support site.  There is a lot of Q&A and product documents.

http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/sections/200089355-CM-7500GB16

post #750 of 4709 Old 01-04-2014, 05:48 PM

BTW, I see it being called the K77.  I have the unit and the actual part number listed on the product is actually CM-7500GB16.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page