Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 250 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 782Likes

post #7471 of 7480 Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
Unfortunately, you'd lose that bet!
They were one time recordings that were scheduled that same morning.
Additionally, the percentage (for what's it's worth) was at 95% and there were no (low storage capacity) warnings when I set them up.
It came as a complete surprise that these recordings "failed". When I powered up the unit, it was still at 95%......yet the unit had aborted these recordings and then disconnected the drive!
OK, time for another experiment....

I set up a one-time recording, then disconnected the HDD. Sure enough, the one-time recording remained on the schedule and did record to the internal drive, although everything else showed as "deleted".

So my DVR+ worked as expected, but what happened to yours? Well, if the DVR+ aborted these one-time recordings and then disconnected the drive as you say, it should come as no surprise that the internal drive didn't take over. Of course it's still unexplained why the DVR+ aborted the recordings with roughly 50 GB of space remaining, and it's also unexplained why the DVR+ then disconnected the drive. As I said to start with, that may forever remain a mystery. But the DVR+ would've had to disconnect the drive first in order for the internal drive to take over the one-time recordings.

BTW, if your DVR+ had disconnected the drive first so that your one-time recordings did fall back to the internal SSD, you might have finally seen my point about why being able to copy recordings from one device to another isn't some elitist thing that only the geekiest among us would ever care about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 7480 Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 235
In defense of (Jay or anyone else) hoarding videos: HDD space has become almost unbelievably cheap, so why not? If you think you might find it interesting, go ahead and record it; when you get around to watching it, you can always decide it wasn't worth watching and delete it. If your drive starts to get too full you'll have some cleaning-up to do, but it's still a whole lot easier than cleaning a room!

I think the only real disagreement we might have is over what % Used we should start the cleanup process at. The problem is, % Used is a poor indicator; if you're using a 2TB drive it's probably perfectly reasonable to wait until 95%. With a 1 TB drive, perhaps 90%; 80% of a 500GB drive, etc. Just figure on leaving 100GB free and do the math.

I guess CM was thinking in terms of a car's fuel gauge, but I'd prefer my Pals' estimated time remaining (at HD and SD) over a percentage whose meaning varies according to my HDD's capacity. (The estimates could be a bit on the conservative side so any "surprises" would be pleasant ones.)

Or at least, CM/E* could show us remaining GB. Some may think that's "too technical" but I disagree; Jane Sixpack may not have the foggiest idea what a GB is but she'd learn pretty quickly that when she records The Simpsons it always goes down by four, so it would still give her a good idea of when her DVR would fill up.
post #7473 of 7480 Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 121
The signal quality and strength is a really nice feature. It helped me really nail down my fox channel. Without that I was just guessing.
richart likes this.
post #7474 of 7480 Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've been fighting with this DVR on and off for the last couple of weeks. Problem is it freezes up and won't respond to the remote. I've done at least a dozen factory resets and almost that many soft resets and it's always the same. I can hit guide, that works, then hit 3, and channel 3 is highlighted, then there is a message asking if I want to view or manually record this program. Click OK, and nothing happens. I've done the soft resets by unplugging it, and the factory reset that takes 15 minutes to run thru. It just goes brain dead at that point and the only way to get anything is unplug it and start again.

I still have the OEM software version, working on getting a wifi setup so I can change to the newer one. Or could I just download the update onto a USB drive and plug that into the DVR? I tried it once, and that wasn't working either. Which was no surprise with how screwed up everything else is ....

Do any of you have any idea? Other than send it back? I have a request into CM, but that's probably Tuesday before I hear anything, then I thought about the AVS geniuses.

TIA, Dee
post #7475 of 7480 Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Barvo View Post
I've been fighting with this DVR on and off for the last couple of weeks. Problem is it freezes up and won't respond to the remote. I've done at least a dozen factory resets and almost that many soft resets and it's always the same. I can hit guide, that works, then hit 3, and channel 3 is highlighted, then there is a message asking if I want to view or manually record this program. Click OK, and nothing happens. I've done the soft resets by unplugging it, and the factory reset that takes 15 minutes to run thru. It just goes brain dead at that point and the only way to get anything is unplug it and start again.

I still have the OEM software version, working on getting a wifi setup so I can change to the newer one. Or could I just download the update onto a USB drive and plug that into the DVR? I tried it once, and that wasn't working either. Which was no surprise with how screwed up everything else is ....

Do any of you have any idea? Other than send it back? I have a request into CM, but that's probably Tuesday before I hear anything, then I thought about the AVS geniuses.

TIA, Dee
Yes, updating the DVR+ from a USB stick should work, assuming nothing is broken on your unit.

I tried the sequence you described, and had no trouble with my unit. However, I think you left out one step, that being after the Guide moved to channel 3, you should have had to press the OK button before being prompted for what you wanted to do. If you did not press OK, then something is wrong with that, as I had to press OK.

Are you certain the Remote is always working? It sounds like the batteries are very low in voltage (or there's a bad connection), and after a few button pushes it runs out of juice. Others have issues with the batteries in their Remote.

FYI, For those that do not know a trick to visually verify if a Remote is transmitting an IR signal, point the remote at the lens of a digital camera and press any button on the Remote. If it's transmitting, you’ll see a blinking light in the view finder on the camera! This doesn’t indicate that the signal is correct, only that it’s transmitting.
post #7476 of 7480 Old Yesterday, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Yes, updating the DVR+ from a USB stick should work, assuming nothing is broken on your unit.

I tried the sequence you described, and had no trouble with my unit. However, I think you left out one step, that being after the Guide moved to channel 3, you should have had to press the OK button before being prompted for what you wanted to do. If you did not press OK, then something is wrong with that, as I had to press OK.

Are you certain the Remote is always working? It sounds like the batteries are very low in voltage (or there's a bad connection), and after a few button pushes it runs out of juice. Others have issues with the batteries in their Remote.

FYI, For those that do not know a trick to visually verify if a Remote is transmitting an IR signal, point the remote at the lens of a digital camera and press any button on the Remote. If it's transmitting, you’ll see a blinking light in the view finder on the camera! This doesn’t indicate that the signal is correct, only that it’s transmitting.
I might have skipped a step in my description, but when I try to click OK to either watch or record, it's completely brain dead and won't do anything past that until I unplug it and start again.

Remote is working OK, when I do a factory reset I have to scroll thru 10 pages, enter my zip code, so it's not that. I'm thinking its' going back to Arizona...
post #7477 of 7480 Old Today, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
I might have skipped a step in my description, but when I try to click OK to either watch or record, it's completely brain dead and won't do anything past that until I unplug it and start again.

Remote is working OK, when I do a factory reset I have to scroll thru 10 pages, enter my zip code, so it's not that. I'm thinking its' going back to Arizona...
Before you send the unit back, try putting some cardboard shims into the remote. I had that same problem with the remote becoming unresponsive -- it got so frustrating that I came close to slamming the remote against the wall. I tried resetting the DVR+ but it didn't solve the problem for very long.

What I finally did was take a piece of scrap cardboard from an old software box (it's about 1 mm thick) and cutting two disc-shaped pieces about the same diameter as the batteries. [BTW, note that you need a thin screwdriver to press down on the "key" in order to slide open the battery compartment on the remote.] I also wound up having to add another rectangular piece of that same cardboard between the two discs and the plastic battery hatch for a little extra thickness. Adding any more layers made the battery hatch bulge out too much.

Now when I use the remote, I've learned to hold it in such a way as to gently squeeze the battery compartment while pressing the remote buttons. It's been a month since I put the shims in and I very rarely have the response problem but if I do, an extra firm squeeze on the batteries does the trick. At some point, I know the shims won't have any effect any more and that's when I'll get new batteries.
post #7478 of 7480 Old Today, 01:46 PM

Well, absolutely no progress to report. Tried the shims in the remote, no joy. MKS13 suggested the 114 update might fix it. So I reformatted the USB drive, got a fresh download from the CM site, stuck it in the back of the POC, nothing. Go to settings and over to technical, look at software version, still 108. Scroll down to software downloads, check for downloads, ''problem with download site. Unable to download, could not resolve host''. I've tried it 3 times and always gets to this.

One thing CM mentions is you can't have this file in a folder to use it. 15 years of computers and never have I seen this before. I did search about verify file removed from folder and of course came up with zero. Any ideas what that's about?

When you were able to update, was there some prompts and other indications the POC was actually doing something? I get nothing. It's like it's locked....Somehow I get the feeling the next version will be "new and improved" with a processer bigger than the current Apollo 6 version and enough memory to actually work. Once in a while I'll just let it sit for a couple of minutes, and the last remote button I pushed, like deleting a recording will actually delete. CM says wait a few seconds, but this is more a couple of minutes...it's just out of processor and memory....

TIA

I tried to reply to MKS13 message, got notice the site won't allow that until I have 20 posts!
post #7479 of 7480 Old Today, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
One thing CM mentions is you can't have this file in a folder to use it. 15 years of computers and never have I seen this before. I did search about verify file removed from folder and of course came up with zero. Any ideas what that's about?
Maybe they mean the driver file has to be in the "root" of the USB thumbdrive and not in a folder on the drive. That would make sense if the loader simply looks in the root.
post #7480 of 7480 Old Today, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 509
It is quite common for firmware updating mechanisms to be as "dumb" as possible to reduce the possibility of bugs existing in the update process that could potentially render the hardware unusable. As such, many firmware updating mechanisms assume that the firmware file will be on the top level of the storage device, and some updaters also require the firmware file to follow a specific naming convention. I agree with fshagan that the DVR+ isn't going to search folders in order to locate the firmware file.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page