Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 259 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #7741 of 7759 Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
You're right. I keep forgetting there is a Computer Management thing, I guess because it's more hidden than Control Panel, Device Manager and all that. I wonder why it isn't included under Control Panel. Whatever. In any case, next time I have the opportunity to move the EHD from the DVR to the PC, I will open Disk Management, but I'm sure the My Passport won't show up there. If it's not powered up by the USB port, then it just doesn't exist. Now, if I can find the right "Y" cable, maybe that will solve my problem.
I have been using removable hard drives in pro video editing for over 15 years now and many many many times I have had to use Refresh and Rescan in Disk Management to get it to realize that I have plugged in a hard drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 7759 Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I'm having trouble finding the Y cable you mentioned. Do you happen to know which one I need? Thanks.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...%3Ausb+y+cable
post #7743 of 7759 Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Starting to TIRE of Disk Management references?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
... And again - I gave full CORRECT analogy with tires. Hope anyone who can drive a car understand it.
Even some people who don't drive cars understand your analogy!

Oh, and in case it interests you, I accessed Computer Management (in Vista, yuck!) by typing into Start Search, "computer..." -- from there, I found Disk Management. But NONE of that helps me until my PC sees that my EHD is connected. I think I need to find the right USB Y cable, which may be my last resort. And if that works, then I guess I won't even need Disk Management! My EHD won't spin, but my brain is starting to!
Jim in Phoenix likes this.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]

Last edited by SirCrow; Yesterday at 11:20 AM. Reason: more concise, shorter, neater, to the point, less wordy, stuff like that
post #7744 of 7759 Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Wall Wart vs. 2 USB Ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
Funny, those are exactly the ones I saw, which left me confused, as I was led to believe I needed something that got its power from a wall wart. Am I now to believe that the Y cable gets all the power my EHD needs from 2 USB ports instead? If that's the case, then this is actually beginning to make sense.

Thanks.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
post #7745 of 7759 Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Funny, those are exactly the ones I saw, which left me confused, as I was led to believe I needed something that got its power from a wall wart. Am I now to believe that the Y cable gets all the power my EHD needs from 2 USB ports instead? If that's the case, then this is actually beginning to make sense.

Thanks.
The "second" connection is for power. It (the cable) doesn't care where the power comes from so long as it is a USB connection... it can be a "real" USB port, or a USB wall power supply. Same cable.
post #7746 of 7759 Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
DVR+ Vizio 4K TV Compatability with Firmware 114R

I had the same problem with the DVR+ version 114R firmware and my 4K VIZIO TV, I contacted Channel Master tech support (live on the phone - not by email) they are aware of this problem and are working on a fix to release in the next firmware update. But there is a short term fix if you can get a copy of the older 108R or 111R version of the firmware. My Vizio 4K worked fine with 108R & 111R, the on screen text only went away after 114R was installed. Call Channel Master tech support and request an older version of the firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerimy View Post
Issue: DVR+ (firmware 114R) connected to a Vizio P552ui-B2 (firmware 1.1.14) and the DVR+ will turn on with the remote but no onscreen menus are displayed. Occasionally, a few other buttons will work (ch+/-, pause live tv, play, etc.) but nothing I can come up with results in the onscreen menus displayed on the TV.

I originally thought that I had a bad DVR+ remote or low batteries (as customer service has said low batteries can have similar results) but have confirmed that the batteries are good and the remote itself works diagnosed by the following steps:

-Connect DVR+ to computer monitor (done next to TV so that DVR+ was never power cycled.
-Held DVR+ power button for 10 seconds to get a reboot.
-DVR+ powers up, all remote control and onscreen menus/guides, etc function.
-Use remote to put DVR+ in standby
-Disconnect HDMI cable from monitor and plug into Vizio 4K TV.
-Use remote to power on DVR+, no onscreen menus/guides, etc.
-Disconnect HDMI cable from TV and connect to monitor.
-Use remote to power on DVR+, still no onscreen menus/guides, etc.
-Held DVR+ power button to reboot.
-After reboot, remote works to activate menus again on the monitor.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd like to get to the bottom of this. I have contacted ChannelMaster support and may also bring this to the attention of Vizio CS.

Last edited by ACSWIRELESS; Yesterday at 05:54 PM.
post #7747 of 7759 Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACSWIRELESS View Post
I had the same problem with the DVR+ version 114R firmware and my 4K VIZIO TV, I contacted Channel Master tech support (live on the phone - not by email) they are aware of this problem and are working on a fix to release in the next firmware update. But there is a short term fix if you can get a copy of the older 108R or 111R version of the firmware. My Vizio 4K worked fine with 108R & 111R, the on screen text only went away after 114R was installed. Call Channel Master tech support and request an older version of the firmware.
Old knowledge. Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread

post #7748 of 7759 Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

New user of DVR+ here. It is connected to a 1TB drive, and I am using it without wifi. The problem is that it 'forgets' to record the shows after a week or so. I have it set to recored all episodes of a weekly series, but it only records the this weeks episode, nothing after that. Then next week I set the recording again, it says 'name matches an existing name search'. If it matches an existing search, why isn't it recording it? Frustrating. It is pointless if it can't remember to record the shows every week.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that I am using OTA guide and not wifi? Would using a wifi dongle fix this problem?

If so, what are the best options to the $40 dongle channel master sells. Are there known cheaper dangles that are plug and play with dvr+? Thanks!
post #7749 of 7759 Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Post #7730 of 7748 Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM
jerimy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DVR+ Vizio 4K TV Compatability Issue?
Issue: DVR+ (firmware 114R) connected to a Vizio P552ui-B2 (firmware 1.1.14) and the DVR+ will turn on with the remote but no onscreen menus are displayed. Occasionally, a few other buttons will work (ch+/-, pause live tv, play, etc.) but nothing I can come up with results in the onscreen menus displayed on the TV.

I originally thought that I had a bad DVR+ remote or low batteries (as customer service has said low batteries can have similar results) but have confirmed that the batteries are good and the remote itself works diagnosed by the following steps:

-Connect DVR+ to computer monitor (done next to TV so that DVR+ was never power cycled.
-Held DVR+ power button for 10 seconds to get a reboot.
-DVR+ powers up, all remote control and onscreen menus/guides, etc function.
-Disconnect HDMI cable from monitor and plug into Vizio 4K TV.
-Use remote to power on DVR+, no onscreen menus/guides, etc.
-Disconnect HDMI cable from TV and connect to monitor.
-Use remote to power on DVR+, still no onscreen menus/guides, etc.
-Held DVR+ power button to reboot.
-After reboot, remote works to activate menus again on the monitor.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd like to get to the bottom of this. I have contacted ChannelMaster support and may also bring this to the attention of Vizio CS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post

So I'm not allowed to reply and help a new user (their first and only post so far) that asked for assistance only last night with a DVR+ Vizio TV problem?

Sorry, I thought that this site was intended for us to help each other with DVR+ questions and answers...

Last edited by ACSWIRELESS; Yesterday at 07:59 PM.
post #7750 of 7759 Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearfix View Post
Hello,

New user of DVR+ here. It is connected to a 1TB drive, and I am using it without wifi. The problem is that it 'forgets' to record the shows after a week or so. I have it set to recored all episodes of a weekly series, but it only records the this weeks episode, nothing after that. Then next week I set the recording again, it says 'name matches an existing name search'. If it matches an existing search, why isn't it recording it? Frustrating. It is pointless if it can't remember to record the shows every week.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that I am using OTA guide and not wifi? Would using a wifi dongle fix this problem?
If so, what are the best options to the $40 dongle channel master sells. Are there known cheaper dangles that are plug and play with dvr+? Thanks!
Here is the same wifi adapter that CM is selling, just a different logo on the face.
The cost is $10.50 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVMCNZY

This same adapter can be found from other suppliers on ebay and on Amazon, but I know this one works and is physically identical to CM's.
Looking at the picture of the adapter there is a small hole in the face and the sides of the housing is indented.

As to the OTA guide that is transmitted by the stations, it only goes out 2 to 3 days.
The Rovi guide is out to 14 days.. it's not perfect but it is better than the OTA guide and should yield better results.
post #7751 of 7759 Old Today, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Hello,

I did 3 things:
1.) Hard reset on the DVR+. Pulled plug for about 30secs
2.) Delete all scheduled series recordings
3.) Then when you select to record a series, use the Record All feature. For some reason the New flag (which you probably used) is not being sent to the DVR+ and thus your show doesn't record. I've just given up on the New feature since it's unreliable.
post #7752 of 7759 Old Today, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
3.) Then when you select to record a series, use the Record All feature. For some reason the New flag (which you probably used) is not being sent to the DVR+ and thus your show doesn't record. I've just given up on the New feature since it's unreliable.
Interesting. I've been using it a lot and haven't had any problems yet. I love that feature. I do always go and make sure that the "new" flag is in the info screen before confirming the series recording though.
post #7753 of 7759 Old Today, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I did 3 things:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
Interesting. I've been using it a lot and haven't had any problems yet. I love that feature. I do always go and make sure that the "new" flag is in the info screen before confirming the series recording though.
I have the same problem as @metalsaber . If I select 'new' then may times new recording are skipped and / or not listed to be recorded..
post #7754 of 7759 Old Today, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
As to the OTA guide that is transmitted by the stations, it only goes out 2 to 3 days. The Rovi guide is out to 14 days.. it's not perfect but it is better than the OTA guide and should yield better results.
I've read conflicting posts here on the DVR+ ability to self-update PSIP guides.

So the question to the general user base is:
If using the DVR+ without an Internet connection -- an all-PSIP guide.
With the current 114R firmware does the DVR+ auto-update an all-PSIP guide or does it require the user to manually tune to a channel in order to update the PSIP information. I've read posts that claim it is both ways, but those were over several firmware versions. I don't suppose many people are using it without an Internet connection of some sort.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7755 of 7759 Old Today, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
The problem in my experience is that it's been too unreliable. I had one show setup for new from the beginning and it worked the 1st time. Luckily I checked it again the following week and the show was not scheduled for recording. I ended up deleting the scheduled recording and changed it to All and it's worked flawless since.

The only downside of course is that you will get all recordings instead of just new. This happened last night. Was excited to watch my program last night and realized it was a re-run. So depressed.
post #7756 of 7759 Old Today, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
The only downside of course is that you will get all recordings instead of just new.
There is a bigger downside. It may not record another (new) show while it records the repeat instead (you have already seen). With only two tuners I'm guessing this would happen quite frequently.
post #7757 of 7759 Old Today, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
There is a bigger downside. It may not record another (new) show while it records the repeat instead (you have already seen). With only two tuners I'm guessing this would happen quite frequently.
Actually that's not true because all DVR+ events are channel-specific. Whether you set it to record "all" or just "new" shows, it only records shows on that specific channel.

If you just want new shows, that usually isn't a problem, because most shows only air their new episodes on one channel anyway, so you can just record all shows on that channel and delete the reruns. But if you really want to record all shows, it would be nice to be able to record shows from all channels (with priority to new shows in case of a conflict). Perhaps in a future firmware release?

Edit: I just thought of a case where you'd be right. If you were recording new episodes of, say, three different shows, it's possible that all three could be on at once, and the DVR+ might opt to record two that were reruns and thus miss the third, even if it was new. So even with the DVR+'s current channel-specific events, it should still give priority to "new" shows in case of a conflict, and I doubt it does. (I don't record enough to have run into that situation myself yet.)

Last edited by JHBrandt; Today at 01:48 PM.
post #7758 of 7759 Old Today, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hello,

New user of DVR+ here. It is connected to a 1TB drive, and I am using it without wifi. The problem is that it 'forgets' to record the shows after a week or so....

Firmware 114R seems to have some problems with the OTA guide. A hard reset (pull the power plug, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in) may help.

I see someone else has already answered your question about a cheaper WiFi dongle. I can confirm that those $10 dongles (from the Amazon seller he linked to) work just fine. You don't even need the included driver disk (it's for PC users).
post #7759 of 7759 Unread Today, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.
Sorry; I should have explained more clearly. You need a Y cable and a wall-wart. But you probably already have a USB wall-wart somewhere around the house (mine seems to be overflowing with them), so I forgot to mention it explicitly.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page