Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 261 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #7801 of 7828 Old 03-01-2015, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Of course they haven't. They don't want to admit that they made such a silly mistake. Users here have confirmed that this is how it is, though. Buying a drive with > 2 TB capacity is a waste of money, as you can't use the extra space.
The only post I find of anyone reporting the 2TB limit is from myself, so that doesn't count. Others have commented, but none confirmed. If I've missed the confirmation somewhere, please guide me to those postings so that I can ask them to file a report with CM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7802 of 7828 Old 03-01-2015, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatz2020 View Post
Thanks, I do recall something about Seagate 2TB being two 1 TBs stacked together and that cased a problem?
Just for general information, I am using a 2TB Seagate Expansion (STBX2000401) drive without any issues. The STB Health menu shows 1863 GB available.
post #7803 of 7828 Old 03-01-2015, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_c View Post
Just for general information, I am using a 2TB Seagate Expansion (STBX2000401) drive without any issues. The STB Health menu shows 1863 GB available.

Thanks, that's good to know.
post #7804 of 7828 Old 03-01-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
The only post I find of anyone reporting the 2TB limit is from myself, so that doesn't count. Others have commented, but none confirmed. If I've missed the confirmation somewhere, please guide me to those postings so that I can ask them to file a report with CM.
It would be nice to have 3TB confirmation, but it appears that the 1TB drives are by far the most popular with the DVR+ and very few use 3TB. It also doesn't appear that attaching the ext HDD to a PC is widely practiced. Combine the two and you may be the only one in the field.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7805 of 7828 Old 03-02-2015, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I've been happy with my 1TB drive. I tend to watch my programs the same day or next day, so there isn't any real chance of stacking up programs.

I did run into another issues with my Record All scenario. My guide doesn't seem to be updating properly. So I still had Grimm and Constantine showing as playing last week but clearly they aren't.
While its really a guide issue, the record all does fail in that scenario. Again, luckily I don't have any other programs showing on Friday.
post #7806 of 7828 Old 03-02-2015, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
It would be nice to have 3TB confirmation, but it appears that the 1TB drives are by far the most popular with the DVR+ and very few use 3TB. It also doesn't appear that attaching the ext HDD to a PC is widely practiced. Combine the two and you may be the only one in the field.
I have a WD Elements 3TB and the stb health shows 2794GB.

Klipsch RF-7II(2)
Klipsch RC-64II
Klipsch RS-62II(2)
Klipsch Cornwalls(2)
Velodyne HGS-15
HSU VTF-15H
Marantz AV8801
Emotiva XPA-5
Emotiva XPA-3(2)
OPPO BDP-103
JVC DLA-X3 (121" screen)
post #7807 of 7828 Old 03-02-2015, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by promike View Post
To be properly accepted, you'll need to connect it to PC/Mac/Linux/etc and pull/post its partition table.
pachinko likes this.
post #7808 of 7828 Old 03-02-2015, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
I've been happy with my 1TB drive. I tend to watch my programs the same day or next day, so there isn't any real chance of stacking up programs.

I did run into another issues with my Record All scenario. My guide doesn't seem to be updating properly. So I still had Grimm and Constantine showing as playing last week but clearly they aren't.
While its really a guide issue, the record all does fail in that scenario. Again, luckily I don't have any other programs showing on Friday.
How are you connected to the net? Wireless, or hard wired?
post #7809 of 7828 Old 03-02-2015, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by promike View Post
Like @P.Smith posted, you need to attach your 3TB drive to a PC and run the disk management utility to see the size of the main partition on the drive. Search back in this thread for @pachinko posts on his experiments. He found the main (second) partition was sized at 2048GB on his 3TB drive leaving almost 3/4 TB of unallocated space on the drive.

He then attempted to artificially fill the partition with external files in an attempt to see if the DVR+ would either expand the main partition or create an additional one -- it did neither. The only source of doubt in his experiments was the artificial filling of the partition. If you have a 3TB drive that is nearly filled with valid recordings made by the DVR+, it would be very informative for you to attach it to a PC and get the partition size information.
blakepro and pachinko like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7810 of 7828 Old 03-02-2015, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post
How are you connected to the net? Wireless, or hard wired?
wired
post #7811 of 7828 Old 03-02-2015, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
3tb

A low-tech Seagate 3TB userwith questions. I have been using my DVR+with the 3TB drive for a year without any problems. During this period I have had both the DVRand drive on a timer so that they are powered up M-F only 6 hours/day insteadof 24 – again no problems.

Q1 - If my actual capacityis 2TB is my capacity used percentage misstated?

Q2 – Out of curiosity, doesthe DVR reorganize or defrag the drive. I was wondering if that was part of the “power on” when the gears arerunning or part of the “check drive” option.

Thanks!

post #7812 of 7828 Old 03-02-2015, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

that would be good to shows better Internet manner and use Search in the thread for answers of your questions; that would demonstrate your good participation in the thread
Spoiler!
post #7813 of 7828 Old 03-02-2015, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
wired
Well, that rules out a wireless issue.

I guess it could be a Rovi issue for your zip code. I don't follow my schedule and recordings closely enough to see if one gets missed.

I have the opposite problem-too many duplicate recordings. Easy enough to delete them. Wish they had a choice to only record one instance of a particular show, using the description.

Better to err on the side of caution and record them, vs. missing them, I suppose.
post #7814 of 7828 Old 03-02-2015, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strazkat View Post

A low-tech Seagate 3TB userwith questions. I have been using my DVR+with the 3TB drive for a year without any problems. During this period I have had both the DVRand drive on a timer so that they are powered up M-F only 6 hours/day insteadof 24 – again no problems.

Q1 - If my actual capacityis 2TB is my capacity used percentage misstated?

Q2 – Out of curiosity, doesthe DVR reorganize or defrag the drive. I was wondering if that was part of the “power on” when the gears arerunning or part of the “check drive” option.

Thanks!
Q1 - Without knowing exactly what numbers the DVR+ programmers are using, it's impossible to say for sure. I would hope that they would use the 2TB number in their calculations, instead of the 3TB number. But we have no way of knowing. I treat that percentage number like the fuel gauge on my car - it's an indicator of when you need to take some action, not an exact measurement.

Q2 - Without knowing for sure what the programmers have done, it's impossible to say. I can speculate and say that most likely a defrag will never occur. In general, it's never part of a system's normal operations. Especially at startup. Will a defrag occur as part of the Check Drive? Again, unknown, but not likely. Most likely the DVR+ does a file system check, called fsck. fsck is a Unix utility for checking and repairing the file system.
post #7815 of 7828 Old 03-02-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrag2 View Post
I followed your advice, but the second partition on the new drive did show one file 'strm0002.ts' file. And, the first partition showed: strm0002.log, strm0002.met, and strm0002.tsf. Explorer didn't allow me to delete them ('Access is denied'). So I plugged the new drive back into the DVR+ and re-formatted, then unplugged it a minute after powering off, then back to Windows but the files are still there...

I decided to copy the entire second partition over and see if it works. If you know this is not going to work, please let me know cos I hate to copy these hundred of GBs twice! It's taking forever, of course...
I had the same problem with strm0001.* files. The Ext2FSD driver wouldn't let me delete or overlay them, but the turn-it-off-then-wait-a-minute-then-unplug trick got rid of them.

Not sure how you're getting strm0002.* files. Apparently the strm0001.* files (presumably the time-shifting buffer) are getting deleted.

I suppose you could continue anyway; the only caveat is that whatever recording you may have in strm0002.* on your old HDD won't be copied.

As far as copying the entire partitions, I didn't have much luck doing that. I suppose it would work if both drives are the same size, but if the new drive is larger, either it won't work or if it does, you'll be limited to the capacity of the old drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatz2020 View Post
Interesting, so I'm only using 2TB of my 3TB drive. Should I just be using a 2TB drive, or have they had problems with those?
There were problems reported with one particular Seagate 2TB drive model (the model number of which I unfortunately cannot remember). Other 2TB drives, both Seagate and WD, have been reported to work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strazkat View Post

Q1 - If my actual capacity is 2TB is my capacity used percentage misstated?

Q2 – Out of curiosity, does the DVR reorganize or defrag the drive. I was wondering if that was part of the “power on” when the gears are running or part of the “check drive” option.

Thanks!
The DVR+ will actually use about 2.2TB (max. MBR partition size) of a larger drive, so a 3, 4, or 5TB drive will all hold the same amount (about 10% more video than a 2TB drive) before filling up.

The "STB Health" menu option reports the actual drive capacity, not the partition size; so if you have a larger drive it will show its true size - but that doesn't mean you can use it!

I don't have a definitive answer to your Q1 or Q2. On Q1, I believe the % used is correct and will reach 100% when you've recorded 2.2TB, but I don't have such a large drive myself so I can't test that for sure. And as far as I know, the DVR+ does not defrag an attached HDD. If it defrags it on boot-up, it's a surprisingly quick process; more likely it just checks the disk for file system errors (same as the menu option).
post #7816 of 7828 Old 03-02-2015, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post
Well, that rules out a wireless issue.

I guess it could be a Rovi issue for your zip code. I don't follow my schedule and recordings closely enough to see if one gets missed.

I have the opposite problem-too many duplicate recordings. Easy enough to delete them. Wish they had a choice to only record one instance of a particular show, using the description.

Better to err on the side of caution and record them, vs. missing them, I suppose.
was thinking it was a problem with my zip code as well. Even changing the zip code to another in my area didn't solve it.
post #7817 of 7828 Old 03-02-2015, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I had the same problem with strm0001.* files. The Ext2FSD driver wouldn't let me delete or overlay them, but the turn-it-off-then-wait-a-minute-then-unplug trick got rid of them.

Not sure how you're getting strm0002.* files. Apparently the strm0001.* files (presumably the time-shifting buffer) are getting deleted.

I suppose you could continue anyway; the only caveat is that whatever recording you may have in strm0002.* on your old HDD won't be copied.

As far as copying the entire partitions, I didn't have much luck doing that. I suppose it would work if both drives are the same size, but if the new drive is larger, either it won't work or if it does, you'll be limited to the capacity of the old drive.
After a very long and arduous process (most of it was my fault--my Windows VM partition was just too small), I managed to move about 2/3 of the 740gb of data over to the new drive. There were a bunch of files that just would not copy over even after reboots and various tactics--Explorer would give an error (I forget exactly what it was). Then once I got into the DVR menus, I have noticed that over half of the already-viewed programs (not "new") are corrupt somehow and will not play, so I delete them.

But hey, considering my alternative was to just keep the old HDD on a shelf, separate from my new recordings, and switch drives whenever I might want to watch something from the past...that would be annoying. So I am OK with what I managed to save.

Moral of the story: USE A 2-TB HDD FROM THE START. They're only $80 nowadays.
post #7818 of 7828 Old 03-02-2015, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
I can speculate and say that most likely a defrag will never occur. In general, it's never part of a system's normal operations. Especially at startup. Will a defrag occur as part of the Check Drive? Again, unknown, but not likely. Most likely the DVR+ does a file system check, called fsck. fsck is a Unix utility for checking and repairing the file system.
Would any of you knowledgeable people recommend that we "Check Drive" periodically? Would we possibly gain anything by that? Thanks
post #7819 of 7828 Old 03-02-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
After a very long and arduous process (most of it was my fault--my Windows VM partition was just too small), I managed to move about 2/3 of the 740gb of data over to the new drive. There were a bunch of files that just would not copy over even after reboots and various tactics--Explorer would give an error (I forget exactly what it was). Then once I got into the DVR menus, I have noticed that over half of the already-viewed programs (not "new") are corrupt somehow and will not play, so I delete them.

But hey, considering my alternative was to just keep the old HDD on a shelf, separate from my new recordings, and switch drives whenever I might want to watch something from the past...that would be annoying. So I am OK with what I managed to save.

Moral of the story: USE A 2-TB HDD FROM THE START. They're only $80 nowadays.
Quote:
Would any of you knowledgeable people recommend that we "Check Drive" periodically? Would we possibly gain anything by that? Thanks
Do you mean the DVR+ “Check Disk” utility (not check “Drive”)? If yes, I don’t think it does any defragging, as it just too fast.

However, today I was trying to find a way to delete recordings on an EHD in Windows and in Ubuntu. All attempts failed! But, the TS files could be renamed, and even moved into another folder that I created on the EHD. With only 5 of 68 recordings still in the root directory, I reconnected the EHD to the DVR+. The DVR+ did not complain, and all 68 recordings appeared in the menu, but NONE, not even the 5 left alone would play. I used the DVR+ to delete some of 63 moved recordings, and that worked okay, but did not fixed the “no play” issue. Eventually, I used the DVR+ to “Check Disk”, and that fixed things. The only recordings remaining in the menu were the 5 that were not moved, and they played okay.

I reconnected the EHD to Windows, and the DVR+ had indeed delete the appropriate TS files in the root directory of partition 2 (not those in the sub-directory I made), and also cleaned up the data partition as well.

I’m wondering, in your case, if “Check Disk” would have repaired those recordings you describe as corrupt. If you ever have to repeat the process, give that a try.

As far as some of your files refusing to copy, I'm at a loss.
post #7820 of 7828 Old Yesterday, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It could, if you'll do that on regular base, say each day; if it will catch file system error early, then your chances keep all your recordings/files in correct shape will be high.
Rebooting DVR by holding power button or disconnecting power cord/turn off your power strip for 15+ sec will force FW to reboot and run fsck (it will correct file system errors [not a content]).
post #7821 of 7828 Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
After a very long and arduous process (most of it was my fault--my Windows VM partition was just too small), I managed to move about 2/3 of the 740gb of data over to the new drive. There were a bunch of files that just would not copy over even after reboots and various tactics--Explorer would give an error (I forget exactly what it was).
I wonder (suspect) if this whole process would have been a lot simpler and less error prone if you had used linux instead of Windows. A bootable copy of Ubuntu can be easily loaded to run from a memory stick. I have one on an 8GB stick. You can use it to boot a Win-7 PC into linux without messing up anything on the Win-7 drives. You would then use the linux GUI and its tools to do the dirty work on the DVR+ HDD which is formatted in a native linux format.

Afterwards you pull the stick and reboot into Windows with no trace of linux left behind.

- kelson h

post #7822 of 7828 Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I'm just curious because I cant recall, but did anyone with a 3TB drive ever attempt to create their own partitions? Ones that actually used the whole space? It seems like maybe the answer was yes, but that the DVR+ didn't recognize it and complained to format the drive. Seems like if you could figure out that angle, you could get the whole space to be properly used.
Is there a way to keep all of your files and just extend the size of the bigger partition? It seems like you can do that with Windows 7 on windows based partitions.
post #7823 of 7828 Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
I'm just curious because I cant recall, but did anyone with a 3TB drive ever attempt to create their own partitions? Ones that actually used the whole space? It seems like maybe the answer was yes, but that the DVR+ didn't recognize it and complained to format the drive.
That is what I seem to remember also. From what I recall the HDD is formatted as MBR which is limited to 2TB. You get around that by using GUID or changing the sector size but the DVR+ has to be compatible with those formats for it to work. I think @pachinko did all this so he can comment.

- kelson h

post #7824 of 7828 Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
I'm just curious because I cant recall, but did anyone with a 3TB drive ever attempt to create their own partitions? Ones that actually used the whole space? It seems like maybe the answer was yes, but that the DVR+ didn't recognize it and complained to format the drive. Seems like if you could figure out that angle, you could get the whole space to be properly used.
Is there a way to keep all of your files and just extend the size of the bigger partition? It seems like you can do that with Windows 7 on windows based partitions.
I did this experiment a while back, and your memory is dead on! The DVR+ insisted upon reformatting the EHD, and it shrunk the second partition back to 2TB. As it happens, I repeated this experiment last night in Ubuntu, and just as you suggest, extended the partition to 2.72TB (without changing the format type), while retaining the files, and had the same result when the EHD was reconnected to the DVR+.

As it’s been 3 months since I notified CM of this 2TB limitation, and have heard nothing from them since their reply that they would look into it, I emailed them again last night to inquire on the status. When they reply, I’ll post their response.
blakepro likes this.
post #7825 of 7828 Old Today, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
It could, if you'll do that on regular base, say each day; if it will catch file system error early, then your chances keep all your recordings/files in correct shape will be high.
Rebooting DVR by holding power button or disconnecting power cord/turn off your power strip for 15+ sec will force FW to reboot and run fsck (it will correct file system errors [not a content]).
Probably good advice, what with the DVR+ using an ext2 filesystem. I hadn't thought of that.

Jim
post #7826 of 7828 Unread Today, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Last night only 'channel up/down', 'pause/fwd/back' worked.
No 'DVR' or 'Guide'
Recording was in progress (bright red). I turned off (dim red).
Waited until this AM - same symptoms as last night with blue light.
Soft reboot (hold the button)
Problem corrected and recording that was in progress last night completed.
Just for the record - one more reboot glitch solver.
post #7827 of 7828 Unread Today, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieoc View Post
Last night only 'channel up/down', 'pause/fwd/back' worked.
No 'DVR' or 'Guide'
Recording was in progress (bright red). I turned off (dim red).
Waited until this AM - same symptoms as last night with blue light.
Soft reboot (hold the button)
Problem corrected and recording that was in progress last night completed.
Just for the record - one more reboot glitch solver.
I've added a reboot of the DVR+ to my list of regular month-end household chores, after seeing a reboot fix so many funky glitches.
post #7828 of 7828 Unread Today, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
I've added a reboot of the DVR+ to my list of regular month-end household chores, after seeing a reboot fix so many funky glitches.
That's a good idea. You might even want to consider a more frequent reboot. There seems to be some "memory leaks" in the current firmware that causes performance and functionality to degrade over time and eventually lock up. I think someone said they had their DVR+ on a timer. You can buy inexpensive digital timers that would allow you to schedule a weekly power cycle at a dead time, like 3:00AM on a Sunday.

- kelson h

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page