Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 262 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #7831 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I found this and it looks like it should work. http://www.amazon.com/E-More%C2%AE-C...nent+converter

Does anyone know the output resolution of the DVR+ HDMI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebmck View Post
I guess I need to look at updating the receiver, but if I can get by with an adapter now, that would be best for me.
People who have used these inexpensive adapters have generally reported that the picture quality will suffer so don't be surprised if you find that to be the case.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7833 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
People who have used these inexpensive adapters have generally reported that the picture quality will suffer so don't be surprised if you find that to be the case.
Is there a better alternative other than replacing the receiver?
post #7834 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
And its FW version is ?
I updated the firmware before I hooked anything up but here it is:

Model ID: CM-7500GB16
Software version: 114R (0.5)
HWID: ABCB-N

By the way, this is related to the hard drive not working. I'll answer the other questions in the next post.
post #7835 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchum View Post
"The detected device will be used for DVR storage. Do you now wish to install this as a DVR storage device?"
What happens when you hit the "OK" button on the remote at this point?

post #7836 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
1. What capacity is the USB HDD? I haven't heard of anyone using one larger than 3TB, and CM says that some 2TB drives have issues.
I'm using a 2TB Seagate drive. I just bought it so it is the latest model.

Quote:
2. Will the DVR+ allow you to re-initialize the US HDD? Do the following:

MENU
DVR
DVR Setup
Re-Initialize Storage Device
Yes, I can format the internal HD by following these instructions.

Quote:
3. If no joy, what happens if you disconnect and reconnect the USB HDD? Do the following to properly disconnect the EHD, then unplug, and replug the EHD. If the DVR+ doesn't allow disconnecting, put the DVR+ in stand-by mode, disconnect the power supply, then unplug the EHD.

MENU
DVR
DVR Setup
Disconnect External Drive
I did this. Once I plugged the external HDD back up, a pop up window said that it was detected. I confirmed and tried to format it but I had the same issue as before. The formatting didn't happen and my only option was "Cancel" again. NO JOY!!

Quote:
4. If still no joy, connect the EHD to a computer and format it under that system. Then try it on the DVR+ again. The DVR+ should go through the formatting process, and hopefully succeed this time.
I formatted the external HDD in NTFS format. Plugged it in. NO JOY.

Any other ideas?
post #7837 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
What happens when you hit the "OK" button on the remote at this point?

That's the rub. There is no OK button. The only button is "Cancel" and the "formatting" step takes less than 0.25 seconds.
post #7838 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
I'm using a 2TB Seagate drive. I just bought it so it is the latest model.

Yes, I can format the internal HD by following these instructions.

I did this. Once I plugged the external HDD back up, a pop up window said that it was detected. I confirmed and tried to format it but I had the same issue as before. The formatting didn't happen and my only option was "Cancel" again. NO JOY!!

I formatted the external HDD in NTFS format. Plugged it in. NO JOY.

Any other ideas?
Damn!

In your first post you say you're not getting the "series options". Just to be clear, the "series" options do not appear until after clicking "Record the Program". That said, if the USB drive is not being recognized, the series options will not appear after clicking Record the Program, which is perhaps what you're saying.

Maybe your USB drive is one of those 2TB drives that CM says the DVR+ won't support. You could ask CM!
post #7839 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
In your first post you say you're not getting the "series options". Just to be clear, the "series" options do not appear until after clicking "Record the Program". That said, if the USB drive is not being recognized, the series options will not appear after clicking Record the Program, which is perhaps what you're saying.
Yes, that's what I was saying. Since the option to record a series was not available, I could tell that the HDD was not being recognized.

Quote:
Maybe your USB drive is one of those 2TB drives that CM says the DVR+ won't support. You could ask CM!
Yes, that's what I'll do now. They do say on their website that for best luck, use a newer HDD by one of the big HDD vendors (like Seagate) so I thought I was fine.

I have some HDDs that I use for my computer. I may load all of my PC stuff onto the Seagate and use my PC HDD for the DVR... but I'd like to hear from CM first because it "could" be some other issue.
post #7840 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
That's the rub. There is no OK button. The only button is "Cancel" and the "formatting" step takes less than 0.25 seconds.
The point is to _press_ the OK button, regardless what you see
post #7841 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
The point is to _press_ the OK button, regardless what you see
Is this a joke or serious? I can't tell...

To be clear, on the screen there is a "Cancel" option but no "OK" or "Confirm" button like there was in previous steps. Is there an "OK" button on the remote that I should press?
post #7842 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Yes, that's what I was saying. Since the option to record a series was not available, I could tell that the HDD was not being recognized.

Yes, that's what I'll do now. They do say on their website that for best luck, use a newer HDD by one of the big HDD vendors (like Seagate) so I thought I was fine.

I have some HDDs that I use for my computer. I may load all of my PC stuff onto the Seagate and use my PC HDD for the DVR... but I'd like to hear from CM first because it "could" be some other issue.
Good luck, and let us know what they say!

FYI, CM definitely promotes the Seagate (certain models only), but drives by other manufacturers are working quite well, including for myself. I'm using WD 1TB My Passport and 3TB My Book models. Be aware that currently there is no storage capacity advantage with drives larger than 2TB as the DVR+ formats the drive to a maximum partition size of 2TB. Of course, if you can't get a 2TB drive to work, a 3TB would at least give that capacity.
post #7843 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Good luck, and let us know what they say!
Here is what they said:

First, I am sorry you are having trouble with your drive. There are known compatibility problems with Seagate's 2TB EHD (as reported by our customers).
We only guarantee DVR compatibility and product support for hard drives that we have performed extensive testing on.
For this reason, we can only recommend and support Seagate brand hard drives in the sizes 500GB, 1TB, and 3TB.
Bear in mind, you may experience compatibility issues with other drives.

So it appears to be an issue with the 2TB versions. I'm trying to clear up another drive and I'll try that next.
pachinko likes this.
post #7844 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is this a joke or serious? I can't tell...

To be clear, on the screen there is a "Cancel" option but no "OK" or "Confirm" button like there was in previous steps. Is there an "OK" button on the remote that I should press?
I'm serious and can't imagine of your loss of small knowledge buttons of the remote.
Look, in a middle of the remote - there is a "ring".... what round button in a middle tell you ?

OMG ! Some ppl can think only of computer's keyboard keys.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/m5ytq.j6phj...jpg?1412780824

Last edited by P Smith; 03-16-2015 at 03:26 PM.
post #7845 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I'm serious and can't imagine of your loss of small knowledge buttons of the remote.
Look, in a middle of the remote - there is a "ring".... what round button in a middle tell you ?

OMG ! Some ppl can think only of computer's keyboard keys.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/m5ytq.j6phj...jpg?1412780824
I hit the "OK" button every time I tried this. Since "Cancel" is the only option on the screen (and not "Confirm"), when I hit the "OK" button I am actually OKing the "Cancel" button.

So, hitting the "OK" button does not work.
post #7846 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Is there a better alternative other than replacing the receiver?
The only one I can think of is what was suggested earlier -- HDMI from DVR+ direct to HDTV; optical out from DVR+ to AVR. But I believe you discounted that option for some reason.

If you have to have the video go through your current AVR, you will have to live with a converter.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7847 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
I have a DVR+ on the way, so I got out my AVR manual out tonight and see that I have no HDMI input. I have component, s-video and optical inputs available. Are there adapters for HDMI to one of these that will work with the DVR+? I'm thinking the optical would probably be the best option if that is available.
The DVR+ has an optical output. You can hook that to your AVR and the HDMI output to your TV.

You may need an adapter for the DVR+'s optical output - it's not the standard "square" socket. You can get an adapter from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002MQGRM

Edit: Reading further I see you need to feed the video to your AVR as well. I've recommended this HDMI-to-component converter before: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JVNUAEI

It's a bit more expensive but not much more, as it can rescale (a feature you probably won't need, since the DVR+ can be set to any of several output resolutions). But the rescaling feature may come in handy someday.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-16-2015 at 02:04 PM.
post #7848 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I think you have the Seagate 2tb issue. If the cancel button is highlighted in yellow you have no recourse sorry.
post #7849 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
I think you have the Seagate 2tb issue. If the cancel button is highlighted in yellow you have no recourse sorry.
If you have other drive - try it; could you open the enclosure and temporary put any 2.5" HDD there ?
post #7850 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Edit: Reading further I see you need to feed the video to your AVR as well. I've recommended this HDMI-to-component converter before: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JVNUAEI

It's a bit more expensive but not much more, as it can rescale (a feature you probably won't need, since the DVR+ can be set to any of several output resolutions). But the rescaling feature may come in handy someday.
I saw that one, but it says shipping usually within 3 to 6 weeks. I'll see if I can find it elsewhere.
post #7851 of 9072 Old 03-16-2015, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Here is what they said:

First, I am sorry you are having trouble with your drive. There are known compatibility problems with Seagate's 2TB EHD (as reported by our customers).
We only guarantee DVR compatibility and product support for hard drives that we have performed extensive testing on.
For this reason, we can only recommend and support Seagate brand hard drives in the sizes 500GB, 1TB, and 3TB.
Bear in mind, you may experience compatibility issues with other drives.

So it appears to be an issue with the 2TB versions. I'm trying to clear up another drive and I'll try that next.
I believe this is the 2TB option I have been using without issue: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup...ds=seagate+2tb

Saw someone on their facebook page say they were using it without issue too.
post #7852 of 9072 Old 03-17-2015, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
I have a DVR+ on the way, so I got out my AVR manual out tonight and see that I have no HDMI input. I have component, s-video and optical inputs available. Are there adapters for HDMI to one of these that will work with the DVR+? I'm thinking the optical would probably be the best option if that is available.
I'm confused. The DVR+ has a S/PDIF TOSLINK output and your receiver has S/PDIF TOSLINK inputs. What is the problem?

Jim
post #7853 of 9072 Old 03-17-2015, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I was thinking about buying a DVR+, but wanted to know what the return policy was and if there was a restocking fee. I sent in a ticket and was told via email I would hear back within 24 hours. That window has come and gone and no response. Is this pretty typical for Channel Master support?
post #7854 of 9072 Old 03-17-2015, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
I was thinking about buying a DVR+, but wanted to know what the return policy was and if there was a restocking fee. I sent in a ticket and was told via email I would hear back within 24 hours. That window has come and gone and no response. Is this pretty typical for Channel Master support?
The information is right on their web site.

http://www.channelmaster.com/Shippin...icies-a/57.htm
post #7855 of 9072 Old 03-17-2015, 10:15 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Buy it on Amazon for a better price and probably a better return policy, too!
JoeKustra and jericko76 like this.
post #7856 of 9072 Old 03-17-2015, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
Buy it on Amazon for a better price and probably a better return policy, too!

I would love to, as I use Amazon for almost everything I buy. Its actually $50 more on Amazon as its a "package" deal that includes a cheap HDMI cable and a wifi dongle. Neither of them I need.
post #7857 of 9072 Old 03-17-2015, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
I would love to, as I use Amazon for almost everything I buy. Its actually $50 more on Amazon as its a "package" deal that includes a cheap HDMI cable and a wifi dongle. Neither of them I need.
Its not much of a perk, but you can get a free HDMI cable and free shipping if you order today for their st patricks day promotion.

I got an e-mail from them today that has this message:
Quote:
Get the only subscription-free antenna DVR that integrates online streaming services and lets you choose your recording capacity. Treat yourself to DVR+ today and receive a FREE HDMI cable ($15.00 value) with each qualified purchase. Use coupon code HDMI at checkout and Discover TV Freedom today!
Yours for only $249.
Get it Today with Free HDMI cable and Free Shipping
jericko76 likes this.
post #7858 of 9072 Old 03-17-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
I'm confused. The DVR+ has a S/PDIF TOSLINK output and your receiver has S/PDIF TOSLINK inputs. What is the problem?

Jim
The optical link is audio only as I understand it. I need to convert the video to component video to input into my receiver.
post #7859 of 9072 Old 03-17-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I bought one last Saturday, and I couldn't fine the DVR+ not bundled anywhere but the Channel Master store. I looked all over the internet.
post #7860 of 9072 Old 03-17-2015, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Remote Batteries & Wrong Rovi Data

A couple of things are too annoying not to mention:

1. The DVR keeps scheduling unwanted programs to record because, apparently, the intended show has aired in that slot before and been scheduled as a series. Maybe Rovi is changing some metadata and ignoring others? (I'm pretending to know of what I speak.)

2. I finally decided to replace my remote's batteries. Got tired of shaking and whacking it to persuade it to work again. Is it too much to ask for a remote that uses ordinary AAA cells? In addition to the DVR+'s remote being ridiculously tricky to open (more damage is done to it each time, with a screwdriver or closest approximation), the 2032 button cells' packaging was crazy-tough to get into. I needed scissors and a razor! (Whom would I sue if I had injured myself at any point in all of this?) And I'm guessing the new batteries won't last as long as remote batteries typically do. Some strange logic is at work here, methinks.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]

Last edited by SirCrow; 03-20-2015 at 04:50 PM. Reason: accuracy
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page