Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 265 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7921 of 9166 Old 03-24-2015, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 172
We don't use USB modem in NorCal anymore! Only ADSL or DOCSYS.

Perhaps wireless eg 3G or 4G ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7922 of 9166 Old 03-24-2015, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Barvo View Post
Just an update; I had two WD 1tb Element HD's that were DOA. I downloaded the testing software from the WD site, and both of them had identical failures of sectors on the drive. WD sent another one, to replace the original and the replacement drive, that one I tested before it got anywhere near the DVR+. OK, per the test. Installed it, and son of a gun, it actually works!

I wonder what the failure rate on these things is, me having to get 3 to find one that works, might not be too good.

Now I get to play with finding and setting up a wireless router that is compatible with a USB modem that I use for the Internet. Anybody got any suggestions? The routers that plug into a ISP cable are cheap and everywhere. USB modems, not so much.
First point: I've used WD Element drives for years (in both desktop and portable sizes) without a singe hickup at all. I guess you were very, very unlucky. Either that, or you bought them from a sketchy source.

Second point: USB modem. Please explain. Are you using dialup?
post #7923 of 9166 Old 03-24-2015, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
We don't use USB modem in NorCal anymore! Only ADSL or DOCSYS.

Perhaps wireless eg 3G or 4G ?
It's T-Mobile, I'm on 3G. When you live out in the country, nobody can afford to run cable to homes on 5 acre lots. Phone cable is too far from the equipment, so that won't work; other than Dial up. I doubt we ever get 4G, they'll spend the money where they have lots of customers and get the money back.
post #7924 of 9166 Old 03-24-2015, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Sorry to pick your post - just grabbed "end point of the chain" - you guys AMUSED me with your guesswork !

Instead of fixing on letter in names, you MUST get VID_/PID_ and just verify against existing table of USB WiFi adapter's IDs in THE thread.
Not models, not chips (well it's good to know if it has right one), not letters...
Just 2+2 hex numbers.
Been trying, but can’t find a post with VID_/PID_ values (other than post 2071, not by you, with one set of values). Only find your post 576 where you state “I see in FW 101R, they have a driver for support only Realtek Rtl8192cu adaptor”.

I don’t know where to find a VID_/PID_ number. It’s not on the packaging, or listed in Windows Device manager (although it may be under one of the numerous obscure “properties” that I haven’t checked).

Please advise.

Last edited by pachinko; 03-24-2015 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Wrong page referenced. Changed 271 to 2071.
post #7925 of 9166 Old 03-24-2015, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Sorry to pick your post - just grabbed "end point of the chain" - you guys AMUSED me with your guesswork !

Instead of fixing on letter in names, you MUST get VID_/PID_ and just verify against existing table of USB WiFi adapter's IDs in THE thread.
Not models, not chips (well it's good to know if it has right one), not letters...
Just 2+2 hex numbers.
Your right chance to say : BINGO !
I'm sure everyone is glad you are amused. The PID for the RTL8811AU is PID_8811&REV0000, and for the RTL8812AU the PID is PID_8812&REV0000. Doesn't seem very important. I already posted the VID, but here it is again: VID_0BDA.
post #7926 of 9166 Old 03-24-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Been trying, but can’t find a post with VID_/PID_ values (other than post 271, not by you, with one set of values). Only find your post 576 where you state “I see in FW 101R, they have a driver for support only Realtek Rtl8192cu adaptor”.

I don’t know where to find a VID_/PID_ number. It’s not on the packaging, or listed in Windows Device manager (although it may be under one of the numerous obscure “properties” that I haven’t checked).

Please advise.
Use the Realtek driver. The numbers are under Properties, Details, Hardware Ids. Even money says the PID has 8192 in it.
pachinko likes this.
post #7927 of 9166 Old 03-24-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Use the Realtek driver. The numbers are under Properties, Details, Hardware Ids. Even money says the PID has 8192 in it.
Thanks Joe! The PID for both of my Realtek Rtl8192cu WiFi adapters is 8178, rev 020, and VID_OBDA. Both work perfectly on the DVR+.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pachinko - Realtek Rtl8192cu - VID_OBDA - PID_8178 Rev_0200.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	622929  
post #7928 of 9166 Old 03-24-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Joe! The PID for both of my Realtek Rtl8192cu WiFi adapters is 8178, rev 020, and VID_OBDA. Both work perfectly on the DVR+.
That's great. My 8812AU driver disk supplies drivers for the 8178 also. Same VID. But you don't need an 802.11ac adapter. The 8811 is great for laptops however. Have fun.
post #7929 of 9166 Old 03-24-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
That's great. My 8812AU driver disk supplies drivers for the 8178 also. Same VID. But you don't need an 802.11ac adapter. The 8811 is great for laptops however. Have fun.
The only reason this WiFi adapter is plugged into Windows is to view the VID and PID for this discussion (the PC has built-in WiFi). I didn't install any software, Windows 8.1 just recognized the device and that's what it set up! As soon as I got the info, I moved the device back to the DVR+ where it lives quite happily!
post #7930 of 9166 Old 03-24-2015, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm sure everyone is glad you are amused. The PID for the RTL8811AU is PID_8811&REV0000, and for the RTL8812AU the PID is PID_8812&REV0000. Doesn't seem very important. I already posted the VID, but here it is again: VID_0BDA.
Now you did amuse me. If you could read back around that time when we digged into wifi adapters compatible with the K77 and check how drivers(SW) do enumerating, you'll know what part of the id string is relevant. So, it would be helpful to pick relevant and pertinent numbers.

Last edited by P Smith; 03-24-2015 at 10:11 PM.
post #7931 of 9166 Old 03-24-2015, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The only reason this WiFi adapter is plugged into Windows is to view the VID and PID for this discussion (the PC has built-in WiFi). I didn't install any software, Windows 8.1 just recognized the device and that's what it set up! As soon as I got the info, I moved the device back to the DVR+ where it lives quite happily!
Yeah, no need to install drivers if you need only id string.
post #7932 of 9166 Old 03-25-2015, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Barvo View Post
It's T-Mobile, I'm on 3G. When you live out in the country, nobody can afford to run cable to homes on 5 acre lots. Phone cable is too far from the equipment, so that won't work; other than Dial up. I doubt we ever get 4G, they'll spend the money where they have lots of customers and get the money back.
How is your computer connecting to the Internet now? Dialup? Or, are you using a T-Mobile USB connection?

If either of these, your computer will usually act as the router for the rest of your home network, since all devices must go through the PC to get to the internet. The Windows network setup wizards might help you with this. I've never set up a PC as a router myself.

Then, all you need is any ol' wireless router that you set up as an access point connected to your computer's Ethernet port.

Just a bit of jargon (apologies of you already know this): The router is like the traffic cop of your network. It routes traffic from one device to another, or from one device to the wide area network (Internet). The router is the device connected to your network that is running the DHCP server (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol server). You only want one router on your home network (unless you are doing something more complicated than a simple home network). To configure a wireless router to be an access point, all you do is go into the configuration screen for the device and select "access point" (if that choice is given), or disable DHCP Server (if the configuration screen is a bit more primitive).
post #7933 of 9166 Old 03-25-2015, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
I'm sorry this isn't a good experience for you. I can state that the RTL is a Realtek device. I have two that are sold as PremierTek. Since I have them in a heavy duty application, they would be overkill if used for the light use of the DVR+. From my experience a device needs to be designed to accept a USB network adapter, like the DVR+. I don't have any device like that except my two computers. I have CAT5 to WiFi adapters used on my AVR, Blu-ray, and TiVo. To use these adapter a PC is needed to configure the SSID and password. They then "look" like wired connections. I don't have experience using USB devices that do not need to be configured, so others on this thread need to help you find the problem. Best of luck.

I too MUCH prefer Ethernet WiFi adapters as they are fool proof, faster and a universal solution for overpriced adapters that have only one driver installed (NOT able to download a device driver) such as the DVR+. I have used the ASUS N66 with great success and no problems with my older Sony Blu-Ray player without a built-in WiFi system. Expensive (buy a re-certified unit) but very good in all applications. Easy to set up with the newer updated software.
post #7934 of 9166 Old 03-25-2015, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald1800 View Post
I too MUCH prefer Ethernet WiFi adapters as they are fool proof, faster and a universal solution for overpriced adapters that have only one driver installed (NOT able to download a device driver) such as the DVR+. I have used the ASUS N66 with great success and no problems with my older Sony Blu-Ray player without a built-in WiFi system. Expensive (buy a re-certified unit) but very good in all applications. Easy to set up with the newer updated software.
The ASUS EA-N66r is the best unit I have found so far. I have tried the Linksys - not so good. There is new software, "p", for the unit. I have no problem with my older Sony either, only on the new 2.4GHz BDP-S6200. For my desktop though, the Realtek (PremierTek) RTL8812AU is nice. I have it on an 18" extension, which should be USB 3.0 if you're OCD like me. I like the 867Mbps link speed. I'm not too happy with the Netgear EX-6200 but it does support everything. Just not as much power. It would be ok with the DVR+ (and four more wired devices at once).
post #7935 of 9166 Old 03-25-2015, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
How is your computer connecting to the Internet now? Dialup? Or, are you using a T-Mobile USB connection?

If either of these, your computer will usually act as the router for the rest of your home network, since all devices must go through the PC to get to the internet. The Windows network setup wizards might help you with this. I've never set up a PC as a router myself.

Then, all you need is any ol' wireless router that you set up as an access point connected to your computer's Ethernet port.

Just a bit of jargon (apologies of you already know this): The router is like the traffic cop of your network. It routes traffic from one device to another, or from one device to the wide area network (Internet). The router is the device connected to your network that is running the DHCP server (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol server). You only want one router on your home network (unless you are doing something more complicated than a simple home network). To configure a wireless router to be an access point, all you do is go into the configuration screen for the device and select "access point" (if that choice is given), or disable DHCP Server (if the configuration screen is a bit more primitive).
It's the T=Mobile connection. Supposedly my Lenovo laptop has a WIFI transmitter. But it's Win8, so everything is hidden. You need to know how those morons in Redmond put it together, which is not simple.

I'd love to find the autistic clowns at MS that put 8 together, and beat the living **** out of them; repeatedly.
post #7936 of 9166 Old 03-26-2015, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Over-priced, fast-crapping remotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Sony used to make an 8-device learning remote (model RM-VL600) that could be programmed with macros. A few years ago, I bought one at Target for under $30 and was amazed by all its features. Unfortunately Sony doesn't make it anymore. You can still find some on Amazon, but the prices for new ones have gone up over $40. (There is a used one being offered for under $20.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Well, you don't have to follow his mapping exactly. Personally, I map the DVR+ Back button to the 20.1 Recall button and the DVR+ Exit button to the 20.1 Cancel button...
Yes, I assumed I wouldn't need to map it the same way. You're right, the Recall button makes perfect sense, as in recall previous channel and recall previous screen, and so forth. Too bad if they've really stopped making fairly priced learning/macro remotes. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post
... My Harmony remotes lasted just a little over 2 years before a few buttons started not working reliably. I've tried cleaning them to no avail. There is a compound ($29) you can buy to paint onto the contacts to restore their functionality, not sure how well that would hold up... How is it that you can buy a $10 keyboard that will last 10 years, but $30-$100 and up remotes crap out after 2?
That's hilarious! I wouldn't wanna pay more than $29 for a remote! Honestly, the only reason they're selling remotes for $100 or more is because there is
"one" born every minute.
artisticimaging likes this.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
post #7937 of 9166 Old 03-26-2015, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
That's hilarious! I wouldn't wanna pay more than $29 for a remote! Honestly, the only reason they're selling remotes for $100 or more is because there is "one" born every minute.
Or perhaps you live alone and don't have a complicated home theater setup. Try running a TV, AVR, DVR, Blu-Ray, OTT streamer, and game console all from a cheap universal remote. Then try teaching your less technically inclined significant other and children how to use each of those devices from that crappy remote. I'll spend $100 all day long to avoid that frustration. Harmony remotes are worth their weight in gold.
promike, Kelson, blakepro and 1 others like this.
post #7938 of 9166 Old 03-26-2015, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebmck View Post
I bought the E-more brand. It had pretty good reviews and included a coaxial audio output. I'll post the results when I get everything hooked up.
I got my DVR+ setup today and said I would comment on the E-more HDMI to component converter. I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it seems to work fine. Granted I'm not videophile, but it looks as good or better than what I was getting out of my satellite receiver.

Now I have another problem. The unit is not recognizing the wireless adapter. I bought this one which was recommended in this thread: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I was reading elsewhere in the thread about how to check its properties on my computer, but my computer will not recognize it. When I plug it in, it says its installing a driver, but then that fails and the devise does not show up under the Computer map. I managed to cut the included disk in half when opening the packaging and I have not been able to locate a driver anywhere on the internet. Anyone have any idea how I can find out if this thing is the correct version and working?

Thanks.
post #7939 of 9166 Old 03-26-2015, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Look here: The numbers are under Properties, Details, Hardware Ids. It will probably be an unknown USB device. Just scroll down using Device Manager. What version Windows? Check the VID list in post 576.

Last edited by JoeKustra; 03-26-2015 at 01:07 PM.
post #7940 of 9166 Old 03-26-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I got my DVR+ setup today and said I would comment on the E-more HDMI to component converter. I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it seems to work fine. Granted I'm not videophile, but it looks as good or better than what I was getting out of my satellite receiver.

Now I have another problem. The unit is not recognizing the wireless adapter. I bought this one which was recommended in this thread: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I was reading elsewhere in the thread about how to check its properties on my computer, but my computer will not recognize it. When I plug it in, it says its installing a driver, but then that fails and the devise does not show up under the Computer map. I managed to cut the included disk in half when opening the packaging and I have not been able to locate a driver anywhere on the internet. Anyone have any idea how I can find out if this thing is the correct version and working?

Thanks.
I’m not 100% certain about this, so use your judgement, but below is the RealTek URL for driver downloads. Search the page for 8192CU (see attached screenshot).

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/dow...Downloads=true

FYI, my mini-disc is labeled “RTL8188CU/8192FEB28”. That’s what I Googled. Check your disc and Google that.

Good luck!
post #7941 of 9166 Old 03-26-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Look here: The numbers are under Properties, Details, Hardware Ids. It will probably be an unknown USB device. Just scroll down using Device Manager. What version Windows? Check the VID list in post 576.
Thanks Joe, I found the info there. It shows:
USB\VID_0BDA&PID_818B&REV0200
USB\VID_0BDA&PID_818B

I believe that matches the numbers others have posted here. So why is the DVR not recognizing it? I have tried it in both USB ports and the external drive is working on one of them now.
post #7942 of 9166 Old 03-26-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
I’m not 100% certain about this, so use your judgement, but below is the RealTek URL for driver downloads. Search the page for 8192CU (see attached screenshot).

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/dow...Downloads=true

FYI, my mini-disc is labeled “RTL8188CU/8192FEB28”. That’s what I Googled. Check your disc and Google that.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Realtek RTL8192CU WiFi Dongle Driver Download.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	628145  

Last edited by pachinko; 03-26-2015 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Attachment missing
post #7943 of 9166 Old 03-26-2015, 01:43 PM

Nothing much on the disk, just Wireless-N USB Adapter and 8192EU18JUL. Ok, I see the 8192 is common and there is a date. I can give the Realtek driver a try, but I was able to find the VID and PID following Joe's suggestion to use Device Manager.
post #7944 of 9166 Old 03-26-2015, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
USB\VID_0BDA&PID_818B

I believe that matches the numbers others have posted here. So why is the DVR not recognizing it? I have tried it in both USB ports and the external drive is working on one of them now.
No guarantees, but 2 things you can try. First is a soft-reset. With the DVR+ in "standby" mode (what we would call "off") hold down the power button until the color changes from blue, then release the power button. Second is a hard reset. With the DVR+ in standby mode, disconnect the power cable. Wait 10 minutes, then plug the power cable back in. The DVR+ will go thru its motions for a few minutes, then be ready for use.

As to whether or not to have the WiFi adapter plugged into the DVR+ when doing either procedure, I couldn't say. Try it both ways.
post #7945 of 9166 Old 03-26-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
USB\VID_0BDA&PID_818B

Quote:
Nothing much on the disk, just Wireless-N USB Adapter and 8192EU18JUL. Ok, I see the 8192 is common and there is a date.
I don't see PID_818B on post 576 or 578. On post 7997, Paul210 reports problems with model 8192EU.
post #7946 of 9166 Old 03-26-2015, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post
The wifi adapter that I'm using shows up as RTL8192CU Not RTL8192EU.
Not sure what the difference is but it probably explains why it isn't working with DVR+.
There are numerous posts about people looking for help on compiling drivers for the "EU" model VS the 'CU"
(the postings have nothing to do with the DVR+).
The link you posted shows the adapter that I'm using.. it has a small hole in the face right below the writing and the sides are indented.. Is that what yours looks like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul210 View Post
Mine looks exactly like that. Apparently there are different versions even though I ordered it from the same link on Amazon that others used.
Quote:
I'm sorry this isn't a good experience for you. I can state that the RTL is a Realtek device....
Quote:
Nothing much on the disk, just Wireless-N USB Adapter and 8192EU18JUL. Ok, I see the 8192 is common and there is a date. I can give the Realtek driver a try, but I was able to find the VID and PID following Joe's suggestion to use Device Manager.
Sounds like Paul and Dave both got the "new and (dis)improved" 8192EU that no longer works with the DVR+. I updated my review at the Amazon link to reflect this I suspect the EU is too new to have its driver included in Win 8, hence the inability to use it on a PC without that driver disk/download.

I still have one unused 8192CU. I sold my "official" DVR+ WiFi adapter on eBay, used most of the proceeds to buy two Realteks (back when they were selling the CU model that works), then sold one of those on eBay I'm using power-line Ethernet adapters with my DVR+ and I have a different WiFi adapter for my PC, so I'm not using the Realtek.
post #7947 of 9166 Old 03-26-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
No guarantees, but 2 things you can try. First is a soft-reset. With the DVR+ in "standby" mode (what we would call "off") hold down the power button until the color changes from blue, then release the power button. Second is a hard reset. With the DVR+ in standby mode, disconnect the power cable. Wait 10 minutes, then plug the power cable back in. The DVR+ will go thru its motions for a few minutes, then be ready for use.

As to whether or not to have the WiFi adapter plugged into the DVR+ when doing either procedure, I couldn't say. Try it both ways.
Tried soft and hard resets with no improvement. But thanks for the suggestion.
post #7948 of 9166 Old 03-26-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I don't see PID_818B on post 576 or 578. On post 7997, Paul210 reports problems with model 8192EU.
Right, I see 818A, but no B. the 8192EU is on the software disk, but I don't see it anywhere on the hardware info. How are you supposed to know what you have? For that matter, how do you know what your buying?
Paul210 and JoeKustra like this.
post #7949 of 9166 Old 03-26-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 285
It's confusing. Machines (like the DVR+ or a PC) look at the PID, not the model #; so you'll see the PID in Device Manager. Apparently:
  • PID_818A is model 8192CU
  • PID_818B is model 8192EU
... and only PID_818A works with the DVR+

Update: Looks like Amazon has switched back to GateShop as its "featured" seller for this adapter. GateShop sold the 8192CU's that work; unfortunately, Amazon says they only have 20 left.

I'd advise anyone else buying these to confirm they're buying from GateShop; otherwise, there's a good chance you'll get the 8192EU that doesn't work.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-26-2015 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Update (see text)
post #7950 of 9166 Old 03-26-2015, 02:41 PM

Looks like I'm going to re-order this. I found this one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/300Mbps-Realte...ords=RTL8192CU It specifically mentions the 8192CU chipset, so maybe I won't get burned again.
Paul210 likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page