Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 270 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #8071 of 8096 Old 03-27-2015, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
It does not start until Monday
Thank you, I didn't think to scroll down. I just figured they were sold out. Now, if I can get there in time on Monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8072 of 8096 Old 03-28-2015, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Not sure, if I didn't post the tidbit - if the seller have no clue about absolutely pertinent info of VID/PID for you, you should ask him to connect it to his computer and give him/her [URL to posts here where] how-to-get-vid-pid described in details many times.
post #8073 of 8096 Old 03-28-2015, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
FWIW: Just a follow-up on an experiment I did recently regarding the number of hours of HD you could get on a 3TB drive.

I set the DVR+ to record 24 hours/day on two 720P channels. I chose 720P because that would be the least data to still give the HD quality, thus maximizing the total number of hours to see if I could get near the 480 hours of HD that CM claims is possible to record on the Seagate drives they sell. " The Seagate 3TB portable expansion is compatible with the DVR+ and will expand your recording capacity up to 480 hours of HD recordings ". http://www.channelmasterstore.com/3T...tbv3000100.htm After reading many reviews and failure rates for external HDs on the internet, I bought additional WD drives recently instead of Seagate drives. (I have not tried this test on my Seagate 3TB STCA3000101 that CM was selling when they first released the DVR+ for sale because it is still full of older recordings.)
The drive I did this test on was a WD My Book 1140 WDBACW0030HBK-01 external drive powered by a wall wart. The drive size read 2794GB according to the STB Health report found through the DVR+ menu. (Same 2794 that all three of my external drives for my DVR+ units show).
End result was 398 hours, 11 minutes, and 45 seconds of recording @ 720P.
Again, just FWIW..
For those of you that are truly concerned with how many hours you can record on your 3TB drives there is a solution for you..

Get the new TIVO Mega 24TB DVR it can hold 26,000 hours of std definition TV or 4000 hours in HD.
With 6 tuners and Raid configuration with hot-swappable drives, just in case one should fill up.

http://custom.tivo.com/mega_products...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Oh the price you ask?.. a tad on the high side, but like I said if your truly serious.... A reported (not by TIVO) a mere $5000..
Since wiscojim did such a wonderful job on the 3TB drive, perhaps he could conduct a storage test on this baby and report back to to us, once it is completed, in about 3 years or so... Are you up for it Jim? ....

post #8074 of 8096 Old 03-28-2015, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post
For those of you that are truly concerned with how many hours you can record on your 3TB drives there is a solution for you..

Get the new TIVO Mega 24TB DVR it can hold 26,000 hours of std definition TV or 4000 hours in HD.
With 6 tuners and Raid configuration with hot-swappable drives, just in case one should fill up.

Oh the price you ask?.. a tad on the high side, but like I said if your truly serious.... A reported (not by TIVO) a mere $5000..
Since wiscojim did such a wonderful job on the 3TB drive, perhaps he could conduct a storage test on this baby and report back to to us, once it is completed, in about 3 years or so... Are you up for it Jim? ....
Darn! It's not OTA.
post #8075 of 8096 Old 03-28-2015, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Sure! I'll start as soon they send me a free beta sample and cover all the costs for the guide, cable subscription, etc.

post #8076 of 8096 Old 03-28-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:

Did someone release their April Fools ad early?

post #8077 of 8096 Old 03-28-2015, 09:36 AM

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Not sure, if I didn't post the tidbit - if the seller have no clue about absolutely pertinent info of VID/PID for you, you should ask him to connect it to his computer and give him/her [URL to posts here where] how-to-get-vid-pid described in details many times.
Your post amuses me. Good luck getting an Amazon seller to do that. For a $10 sale.
Paul210, stingray2772 and raqball like this.
post #8078 of 8096 Old 03-28-2015, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, sure - my pleasure. And good luck buying blindly. As to "an Amazon seller to do that" - isn't that you do choose your destiny ? And give up before do something ? I did mention less then 2 minute procedure - am I ask too much ?

Last edited by P Smith; 03-28-2015 at 10:57 AM.
post #8079 of 8096 Old 03-28-2015, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm pleased to report that the GMYLE wifi adapter works perfectly. Here is the link at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Paul210 and pachinko like this.
post #8080 of 8096 Old 03-28-2015, 12:15 PM

Gad to hear that davebmck.

I was lucky that I added network cable when I rewired my house a few years ago. So I am missing the joy of setting up wireless on the DVR+. I tried the 2 usb wireless net adapters I own, neither worked. When used wireless on my Patriot Box Office (Roku-like) it was problematic, sometimes forgetting the login credentials. And ALWAYS taking longer than the hardwire to connect.

But I realize everyone can't run a cat5 cable to their DVR+. So good that all this info is here.
post #8081 of 8096 Old 03-28-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith; AVS "Special" Member
Yeah, sure - my pleasure. And good luck buying blindly. As to "an Amazon seller to do that" - isn't that you do choose your destiny ? And give up before do something ? I did mention less then 2 minute procedure - am I ask too much ?
Be sure to let us know how it works out for you.

Last edited by chazdole; 03-28-2015 at 12:55 PM.
post #8082 of 8096 Old 03-28-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Buy 1 and let us know how you like it.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #8083 of 8096 Old 03-29-2015, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Drawings of HDD bracket.

Drawings for curious minds. My courtesy to AVS members.

PS. No need to install 10kOhm resistor, it's just to make HDD spinning up before FW take control of it. So, do soldering 4x10nF capacitors and SATA connector and you would begin convering K77-16GB to K77-2TB DVR. I hope latest version of FW does support the modification.

PS. Pictured HDD and the caddy assembled incorrectly, so discard shadow lines for HDD orientation on the drawings - it must installed by other side, then pictured.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDT-610R HDD bracket.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	633241  
JHBrandt and Donald1800 like this.

Last edited by P Smith; Today at 09:28 AM.
post #8084 of 8096 Old 03-29-2015, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebmck View Post
I'm pleased to report that the GMYLE wifi adapter works perfectly. Here is the link at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for your update but I'm not sure we can buy it without contacting the seller for the PID/VID first. Glad it works for you.
JoeKustra and pachinko like this.

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #8085 of 8096 Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The open box DVR+ deal for $189 is live starting today (03-30-2015) while supplies last.

http://www.channelmaster.com/Open_Bo...-7500gb16r.htm
post #8086 of 8096 Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
The open box DVR+ deal for $189 is live starting today (03-30-2015) while supplies last.

http://www.channelmaster.com/Open_Bo...-7500gb16r.htm
Wow that was quick.(We're sorry, this promotion has ended because we ran out of stock!)
post #8087 of 8096 Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Sorry you missed it!

For me, I couldn't wait for a sale because I was losing $100 every month that I DIDN'T pull the trigger. So it was something I jumped into as soon as I was convinced the product would do what I needed.
post #8088 of 8096 Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
Sorry you missed it!

For me, I couldn't wait for a sale because I was losing $100 every month that I DIDN'T pull the trigger. So it was something I jumped into as soon as I was convinced the product would do what I needed.
I know what you mean,I actually tried to order at 8:00 am(pacific time) and strangely I was getting the error message out of stock, kept trying & it finally updated the screen with the in stock message 15 mins later. Mine should be here later this week.
post #8089 of 8096 Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I got on and ordered mine at 7:50 AM PST. At 11:06 PST I received an email that it has shipped. Of course when I checked tracking, it said they had received notice to ship and it would be updated later. Woo-Hoo!
post #8090 of 8096 Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
whole home DVR+'s

We are considering dropping pay TV and switching to OTA TV. Can 2 DVR+'s be connected to a home network and work as a whole house DVR? In other words, can a show recorded on one DVR+ be watched on another in the same house? If not, is there a way to stream or hardwired from one DVR+ to another device (Apple TV, sling box, Roku)? It would be nice if I didn't have to buy 2 DVR+'s.
post #8091 of 8096 Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browndk26 View Post
We are considering dropping pay TV and switching to OTA TV. Can 2 DVR+'s be connected to a home network and work as a whole house DVR? In other words, can a show recorded on one DVR+ be watched on another in the same house? If not, is there a way to stream or hardwired from one DVR+ to another device (Apple TV, sling box, Roku)? It would be nice if I didn't have to buy 2 DVR+'s.
Channel Master promised a whole home experience, but never delivered.

DVR+'s cannot talk to one another. They can't even communicate between their internal HDD (if you get that model), and a connected USB HDD.

Look on the following CM web page where it states that the DVR+ is compatible with the Slingbox 500.

http://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna_DVR_s/336.htm

Roku does NOT recognize the USB HDD from a DVR+ because the DVR+ formats it for a Linux system.

I don't know anything about Apple TV, but I doubt it!

If you attach a USB HDD to the DVR+, that HDD can be physically moved between DVR+'s, but it takes several minutes for the DVR+ to disconnect the USB HDD, and several minutes for the other DVR+ to connect a USB HDD, not to mention issues with scheduled recordings if the USB HDD is not attached, so it very impractical.

Optionally, the USB HDD from a DVR+ can be connected to a computer, and the recordings copied to the computer, but that's a complex procedure (although some of us are doing that), and if the OS is Windows you'll need a program that allows Windows to recognize the USB HDD.
post #8092 of 8096 Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Channel Master promised a whole home experience, but [has] never delivered.

If you attach a USB HDD to the DVR+, that HDD can be physically moved between DVR+'s, but it takes several minutes for the DVR+ to disconnect the USB HDD, and several minutes for the other DVR+ to connect a USB HDD, not to mention issues with scheduled recordings if the USB HDD is not attached, so it very impractical.
CM has said they will have a whole-home solution for the DVR+ by the end of the year. But I never recommend a product based on promised future functionality that hasn't been delivered. The world is full of "vaporware" promises that were never fulfilled.

If/when the promised whole-home solution is delivered, you'll hear about it here: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

So, currently the only solution is SneakerNet: physically moving a HDD from one DVR+ to another. The amount of time that takes seems to depend greatly on the size of the drive. With a 500GB drive I'm using now, it's not too bad: turn the DVR+ off, wait a few minutes for the drive light to stop flashing, then unplug (not the method recommended by Channel Master, but it works without leaving an "orphan" file on the drive). But I tried again with a 2TB drive and I thought those HDD lights would never stop flashing! They finally did after about 30 minutes (I checked the drive on a PC and there were no orphaned files, so it worked; just took a whole lot longer for some reason.)
chairspud likes this.
post #8093 of 8096 Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
So, currently the only solution is SneakerNet: physically moving a HDD from one DVR+ to another. The amount of time that takes seems to depend greatly on the size of the drive. With a 500GB drive I'm using now, it's not too bad: turn the DVR+ off, wait a few minutes for the drive light to stop flashing, then unplug (not the method recommended by Channel Master, but it works without leaving an "orphan" file on the drive). But I tried again with a 2TB drive and I thought those HDD lights would never stop flashing! They finally did after about 30 minutes (I checked the drive on a PC and there were no orphaned files, so it worked; just took a whole lot longer for some reason.)
By "Off", do you mean Sleep Mode (dim blue light)? Why not put the DVR+ in Sleep Mode, then unplug the power, which cuts the connection to the EHD, then disconnect the EHD? I've done that, and it's much quicker, although rebooting the DVR+ take the time it takes. With all of the coding I've been doing on DVR+ Lister (a new version coming soon I hope), I haven't been worrying about the orphan file, so I don't know if disconnecting the power would leave it or not.
post #8094 of 8096 Unread Today, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
....My ultimate goal/hope is that CM/E* will realize the mess they've made and make the DVR+ compatible with ALL wi-fi adapters and ALL external USB drives. After all, the "U" in "USB" stands for "Universal". Maybe CM needs to learn this.

I still believe CM needs to get the DVR+ unit working properly before adding new features like "linear TV". This was sold as a DVR, not a media box.

I think maybe you are vastly, VASTLY, overrating the actual meaning of "universal" in the context of USB. For example, when was the last time you plugged a new "universal" device into your PC that it did not attempt to load a driver? When was the last time you attempted this and it failed to find the proper driver and asked if you had a manufacturer CD? When was the last time you had to go to the manufacturer's web site to download the driver yourself from a confusing list on the manufacturer's web site? How do you propose a fully embedded firmware device cope with this level of "universality"?
post #8095 of 8096 Unread Today, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
I think maybe you are vastly, VASTLY, overrating the actual meaning of "universal" in the context of USB. For example, when was the last time you plugged a new "universal" device into your PC that it did not attempt to load a driver? When was the last time you attempted this and it failed to find the proper driver and asked if you had a manufacturer CD? When was the last time you had to go to the manufacturer's web site to download the driver yourself from a confusing list on the manufacturer's web site? How do you propose a fully embedded firmware device cope with this level of "universality"?
I was talking USB drives. I've never had a USB drive that a computer did not recognize and auto install. The devices you are mentioning probably do not have "universal" in their names. Regardless, they are not what we are talking about here, therefore "who cares"?
post #8096 of 8096 Unread Today, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I was talking USB drives. I've never had a USB drive that a computer did not recognize and auto install. The devices you are mentioning probably do not have "universal" in their names. Regardless, they are not what we are talking about here, therefore "who cares"?
No need to get snarky.

I was merely responding to what you actually posted regarding wifi adapters (not just drives), and that USB means "universal".
Quote:
My ultimate goal/hope is that CM/E* will realize the mess they've made and make the DVR+ compatible with ALL wi-fi adapters and ALL external USB drives. After all, the "U" in "USB" stands for "Universal". Maybe CM needs to learn this.

I still believe CM needs to get the DVR+ unit working properly before adding new features like "linear TV". This was sold as a DVR, not a media box.

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page