Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 274 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #8191 of 8203 Old 04-15-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
It would be interesting to know what percentage of their userbase is even aware that linear is on its way or that various dates have been thrown out there. I would GUESS that its a relatively low percentage. Its easy for us to get worked up over it since we are enthusiasts, but I'm guessing most people will just be surprised when they see new channels showing up in their guide after the update gets pushed out.
99% of enhancements are implemented for potential owners. They are looking to grow the market not make the market they have "happy" by adding features. They have already bought in and there is very little incentive to address their current or future needs. Especially since it's a one-time purchase and if you stop using the DVR they likely save money with reduced guide data costs. Now if you pay them monthly I'm sure they would be more than happy to address whatever you dream up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8192 of 8203 Old 04-15-2015, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Charles R.....

Maybe a one time purchase for many but I bought 2 of them and perhaps will buy a third. So what does that make me? A 3 time purchaser? I know a number of folks on this forum own more than one DVR+ and some may be in the market for more.
post #8193 of 8203 Old 04-15-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Except that they have to release FIRMWARE to give us this functionality. And that firmware update could introduce more issues. They even said testing was taking longer than expected in earlier communication on this subject.
Yes, it wasn't clear that I meant after this firmware update new channels could be added with just a scan and no new firmware (bugs) would be needed.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8194 of 8203 Old 04-15-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
It would be interesting to know what percentage of their userbase is even aware that linear is on its way or that various dates have been thrown out there. I would GUESS that its a relatively low percentage. Its easy for us to get worked up over it since we are enthusiasts, but I'm guessing most people will just be surprised when they see new channels showing up in their guide after the update gets pushed out.

You are correct....most DVR+ owners are probably not aware of the forum and not aware of the announced changes. I am not really worked up over it as I really don't use any of the guide stuff that is not an OTA channel programming. I don't watch movies unless they are OTA. I have the ability to do all that stuff with my Samsung TV and never did it. Even though when we go into OTA rerun season I will be watching Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Walking Dead, and many of the past year's movies. I don't pay a cent for them. I just go to my local library website and put in a reserve for them. When they are available my library sends me an email and I pick them up. More of you should take advantage of what your local libraries offer. Beats paying for movies, music etc...
blakepro and tomintn like this.
post #8195 of 8203 Old 04-15-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Maybe a one time purchase for many but I bought 2 of them and perhaps will buy a third.
He means a cash-n-carry purchase. You buy the unit for what it is at the time of purchase and they have no obligation other than to make it work substantially as it was described at the time of purchase. Pretty much the way almost all electronic devices are sold. If you are thinking of buying a second or third then you are a prospective customer and those feature additions are targeted at you to sway you to buy a new unit. Eventually they will get this unit to where they want it and any radical new features will go into a new model so they can start the cycle all over again.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8196 of 8203 Old Yesterday, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Kelson. Good points.

My view is that everyone who owns one unit is a potential customer for a second or more units. So they already know where many of their future customers (sales) are and who they are. So marketing to them is easy. Continue to improve the unit and induce them to buy another one. I can wish.
post #8197 of 8203 Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
My view is that everyone who owns one unit is a potential customer for a second or more units. So they already know where many of their future customers (sales) are and who they are. So marketing to them is easy. Continue to improve the unit and induce them to buy another one. I can wish.
Absolutely agree, only the path is generally to improve the product line by introducing new models that do more rather than continuing to add features to an existing model. A satisfied customer who will only ever own a single unit is more likely to buy a replacement if his current model is 2 versions back and can't do half the stuff the current model can.

- kelson h

post #8198 of 8203 Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
My view is that everyone who owns one unit is a potential customer for a second or more units. So marketing to them is easy. Continue to improve the unit and induce them to buy another one. I can wish.
Yes. The easiest way to sell more of something is to entice owners of one to want another. Adding the long-promised "whole home" functionality, or at least giving folks a way to copy recordings from an internal 1TB drive to an external drive, would do that for the DVR+.

There are some small issues that require occasional reboots, such as the LED going out and some EPG oddities, and yes, there are compatibility issues with Vizio and with one particular 2TB drive; but as of 114R, the DVR+ finally seems largely bug-free. The only "biggie" left is its 2TiB capacity limit, leaving folks who bought CM's expensive 3TB drive with only 74% of their money's worth.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't assume my own needs/wants are typical. You may have no use for "linear TV" and the like, but that doesn't mean no one will. I know Roku/Apple/Android/HTPCs do it better, but if the DVR+ does "enough," folks may still choose it over, say, a TiVo and a Roku (each with its own Internet connection, remote, etc.) It doesn't have to be perfect to be useful. And the name of the box is the DVR+, after all.
post #8199 of 8203 Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Someone asked this of ChannelMaster on Facebook and got the following reply:

Will we be able to disable these channels if needed? Having young kids, I do not wanting them having access to some of these.

Channel Master Yes, absolutely! You can disable individual channels or the entire platform, and turn them back on whenever you want.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear as well.

Last edited by jericko76; Yesterday at 02:09 PM.
post #8200 of 8203 Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's something that's strange. This Sunday at 12:30pm on ABC the guide is showing 2015 Draft Academy then at 1:30pm NBA Countdown but when I scrolled ahead in time past NBA Countdown it changes to 12:00pm To Be Announced. Then when I set it to record those 2 shows and scroll ahead To Be Announced has the red triangle but it won't let me cancel and giving the option to record the program.

It is the Rovi guide

Last edited by sws2000; Yesterday at 07:38 PM.
post #8201 of 8203 Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Charles R.....

Maybe a one time purchase for many but I bought 2 of them and perhaps will buy a third. So what does that make me? A 3 time purchaser? I know a number of folks on this forum own more than one DVR+ and some may be in the market for more.
For some, maybe, some points of interest...

We now have 4 DVR+ units in use, 2 of each placed together one on top of the other in different rooms.
One has a Seagate 1TB drive, 2 have 1TB Toshiba Canvio drives which were purchased when on sale, and have been working fine for months now.
The 4th unit, one of the open box units from CM, has a Toshiba Canvio 2TB drive, which has been running fine for several weeks now. The 2 TB drive was purchased at Sam's Club for $89.98 and came with a 32GB flash drive.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/2tb-por....ip?navAction=

The 4th unit, also needed another USB WIFI adapter, took a chance and purchased it on ebay for $8.16 and free shipping, happy to report it works fine.
No guarantees on this because the picture of the include CD disk shows RTL8188 - RTL8189 printed on the face of the drive, what I received was a different package, but installed with no problem

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300Mbps-Mini...-/181473622751
post #8202 of 8203 Unread Today, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post
For some, maybe, some points of interest...
Please correct your post as you make it appear I posted such and I didn't... I have purchased zero of them...
post #8203 of 8203 Unread Today, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sws2000 View Post
Here's something that's strange. This Sunday at 12:30pm on ABC the guide is showing 2015 Draft Academy then at 1:30pm NBA Countdown but when I scrolled ahead in time past NBA Countdown it changes to 12:00pm To Be Announced. Then when I set it to record those 2 shows and scroll ahead To Be Announced has the red triangle but it won't let me cancel and giving the option to record the program.

It is the Rovi guide
Try doing a reboot. See post 8172.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page