Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 275 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #8221 of 8250 Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh6idf View Post
Yes, I checked the date of the last Rovi update and it said April 4. Today is April 22. So it missed updating since the 4th.

Now it has filled in the entire 2 weeks of guide. I hope they put out a software patch to fix this problem, but in the meantime I will do a cold reboot once a week or so.
Is your DVR+ Connected with wifi or ethernet? I'm just curious if we can narrow this problem down to certain connection types. I use a wired connection and have never experienced this particular glitch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8222 of 8250 Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
Is your DVR+ Connected with wifi or ethernet? I'm just curious if we can narrow this problem down to certain connection types. I use a wired connection and have never experienced this particular glitch.
I use wireless, and I have experienced this at least once.

(The "at least once" is because, frankly, I don't really monitor it that closely. It became apparent only when I had issues with a recording series I had set up.)
post #8223 of 8250 Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Mine is connected with wifi, using the Channel Master adapter.
post #8224 of 8250 Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 67
It's going to be 2-3 more weeks!

On the CM Facebook page today:
Quote:
Happy Thursday, everyone! We know you have been frustrated with our silence, and we really hate being silent, it's not in our nature. smile emoticon There's a lot going on at CM right now, a very good thing for all of us. Right now we're working on a possible opportunity that popped up unexpectedly with a short window. In order to take advantage of this, we've had to place the Linear rollout on temporary hold. There are very good reasons for this and we wish we could tell you more but we just absolutely cannot talk about it! If all goes well, you'll be more than pleased with the update when it comes out. Expect to hear more from us about this in about 2-3 weeks! Thank you for your patience and understanding. We feel your frustration, we're in the same boat!
post #8225 of 8250 Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 580
^^
Just to be clear. It's going to be 2-3 weeks before you hear from them again on the subject. That should stir up the hornets on their facebook page.

Is anyone surprised?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; Yesterday at 12:33 PM.
post #8226 of 8250 Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 161
It's never ending promises !
post #8227 of 8250 Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
What should be even more alarming is they can't talk about it.....when you can't talk about something it must mean what? Seems they could talk about it at one time and now they can't.
post #8228 of 8250 Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Don't forget, CM is about a lot more than just the DVR+. There is nothing in that statement that implies the new opportunity they have diverted resources to has anything to do with the DVR+.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8229 of 8250 Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

and don't forget - they are just a middleman between e* and customers; they would reproduce only what e* will say ...
post #8230 of 8250 Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
On the CM Facebook page today:

Here is a more recent update:

Channel Master Wowza! Ok, here's some things that we actually CAN say. When it comes to software updates, keep in mind that your DVR+ is an operator-quality DVR. It's got a Linux-based closed system and an advanced Broadcom chip. It's every bit as powerful as the Comcast X1 or DISH's Hopper. So from a software standpoint we can't compare it to streaming devices like Apple TV or Roku, etc. DVRs are touchy, complicated animals! If we rush updates or try to do several in a short time frame, we could run the risk of introducing bugs. And the amount of man-hours that go into a DVR sofware update are generally 10 times what goes into, say, a mobile app or smartphone update. Your software updates are thoroughly tested in a closed Beta environment for weeks before you get them - cuz we want only the best for you guys. The DVR+ is capable of SO many things, and we're truly just getting started. The added value you guys will get over time with this product is just amazing. And, thank you Craig for putting it so well when we couldn't... yes, our current negotiations preclude us from launching what we already have. Now we've probably said too much!
pachinko likes this.
post #8231 of 8250 Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 157
That is a very strange paragraph.
post #8232 of 8250 Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

And another comment today, by CM, on their facebook page:

Quote:
Our Beta program (U.S. and Canada) was set up nearly two years ago and has remained closed. If we open it for expansion, which we've talked about, the first place we'll go is this Facebook page! You guys are the power users!
Power Users? I suppose they are just playing to the crowd on their facebook page, but I see no comparison between the facebook commenters, and the many contributors to this thread. Just my 2 cents worth!
JHBrandt, Donald1800 and jericko76 like this.
post #8233 of 8250 Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
And another comment today, by CM, on their facebook page:

Power Users? I suppose they are just playing to the crowd on their facebook page, but I see no comparison between the facebook commenters, and the many contributors to this thread. Just my 2 cents worth!
The Facebook page is full of people happy with the DVR+ while here there are people complaining about bugs. If they were smart, they would use people complaining about bugs in their beta program for two reasons: 1) they are likely to find other bugs that need to be fixed because they look with a critical eye and 2) the NDA would get them to shut up about the bugs here! Not sure which reason is more compelling to them

I'm not sure what the other opportunity with a short window of opportunity could be, and it might be on the antenna side rather than the DVR+ side. It could be anything, like a merger, buyout, or a program deal with Sling or something of that nature.
post #8234 of 8250 Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I'm using a wired connection and I've experienced this several times.
post #8235 of 8250 Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Seagate SRD00F2 Drive (2tb) won't work

A friend just bought a Seagate SRD00F2 (2tb) drive for his DVR+ and it doesn't work. I brought it home and plugged it into my own DVR+ and experienced the same issue. Very frustrating that a run of the mill 2tb drive by ChannelMaster's seemingly favorite hard drive manufacturer doesn't work.

Plug in the drive. It says that it sees the drive and asks if you'd like to use it instead of the internal device. You say yes and it says it will need to .. oh, format, prepare, whatever it says. You say yes. It then goes to a screen that says "Installing USB Storage Device - The detected device will be used for DVR storage. Do you now wish to install this as a DVR storage device?" But the only prompt is the CANCEL prompt. There's no OK prompt to choose and no progress indicator showing anything happening. If you do nothing then in about 30 seconds or so it times out and defaults to cancel. The device is not used, and the internal device is still active.

I plugged the drive into a Windows 7 machine and it sees the drive just fine, including the few "utilities" that Seagate puts in the root. It's a 1863.01 GB NTFS partition. I'm thinking about nuking the partition and then trying it again to see if DVR+ will reformat.
post #8236 of 8250 Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM

Seagate SRD00F2 Drive (2tb) won't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_f_s View Post
I'm thinking about nuking the partition and then trying it again to see if DVR+ will reformat.
No joy. Same issue. Deleted the partition on a Windows 7 machine and then inserted the drive back into DVR+. It sees it and asks if I'd like to use it. Says it needs to be formatted (same as it said before - no difference). But it just sits there with only an option to cancel. Then times out. Nuts!

Edit: And just to complete the circle. Plugged it back into Windows 7. Showed as unpartitioned space. Repartitioned and formatted NTFS. Copied root files back in place from the backup I made. Works like new.

Darn you ChannelMaster! This is the only consumer device like it I've ever heard of that this persnickity about liking one hard drive and not another drive which is all but identical.

Last edited by t_f_s; Yesterday at 09:45 PM.
post #8237 of 8250 Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

Quote:
A friend just bought a Seagate SRD00F2 (2tb) drive for his DVR+ and it doesn't work. I brought it home and plugged it into my own DVR+ and experienced the same issue. Very frustrating that a run of the mill 2tb drive by ChannelMaster's seemingly favorite hard drive manufacturer doesn't work.

Plug in the drive. It says that it sees the drive and asks if you'd like to use it instead of the internal device. You say yes and it says it will need to .. oh, format, prepare, whatever it says. You say yes. It then goes to a screen that says "Installing USB Storage Device - The detected device will be used for DVR storage. Do you now wish to install this as a DVR storage device?" But the only prompt is the CANCEL prompt. There's no OK prompt to choose and no progress indicator showing anything happening. If you do nothing then in about 30 seconds or so it times out and defaults to cancel. The device is not used, and the internal device is still active.

I plugged the drive into a Windows 7 machine and it sees the drive just fine, including the few "utilities" that Seagate puts in the root. It's a 1863.01 GB NTFS partition. I'm thinking about nuking the partition and then trying it again to see if DVR+ will reformat.
Quote:
No joy. Same issue. Deleted the partition on a Windows 7 machine and then inserted the drive back into DVR+. It sees it and asks if I'd like to use it. Says it needs to be formatted (same as it said before - no difference). But it just sits there with only an option to cancel. Then times out. Nuts!
See post 7927 by Mitchum at 03-16-2015, 02:13 PM. The discussion actually starts at post 7909, but 7927 pretty much says it all about some 2TB drives on the DVR+.
post #8238 of 8250 Old Today, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

CM is just plain does cheating us!
The DVR's FW do running less then 10 task simultaneously, it is not that much more complicated then modern smartphons especially these whar does play or record 4k video.
Talking about beta testing - it's PATHETIC!!! Any participant here knew that.

What is posted on FB done marketing ppl. I do trust not to one word from them.
LenL likes this.
post #8239 of 8250 Old Today, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
CM is just plain does cheating us!
CM or E*?
post #8240 of 8250 Old Today, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Power Users? I suppose they are just playing to the crowd on their facebook page, but I see no comparison between the facebook commenters, and the many contributors to this thread.
They are pandering to their sheep. I doubt they pay much attention to this thread. They don't even have a support forum on their own website. Their Facebook page is the visible outlet they can control and as P.Smith has noted, it is primarily a marketing tool -- they say nothing of substance on it but just enough to keep people hanging on, and hoping.
LenL and Donald1800 like this.

- kelson h

post #8241 of 8250 Old Today, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I have run into quite a few issues getting certain SSDs to work in some of my Linux servers at work. Try running Diskpart in Windows on the drive before attaching it to the DVR+, but be careful as you can wipe one of your main Hard Drives

1. On the command prompt type diskpart and answer to any possible UAC prompt.
  2. On the new diskpart prompt, type list disk. Note the Disk ### column.
  3. Type, select disk ### (with ### being the partition you wish to delete.
  4. Finish by typing, clean.
This will wipe the drives and any hidden partitions Windows can not see. Useful on SD cards Android has carved up into hidden partitions as well.
post #8242 of 8250 Old Today, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
Try running Diskpart in Windows on the drive before attaching it to the DVR+, but be careful as you can wipe one of your main Hard Drives
Too late. I took it back to his house last night with the NTFS partition back on it and overnight started a 800 gig data copy from his existing external (backup purposed) WD 3TB USB drive to the 2TB Seagate drive. Once that data copy is done I'll switch the roles of the 2TB drive that the DVR+ doesn't like, and the 3TB Western Digital drive that the DVR+ will most likely accept.

By hook or by crook!
post #8243 of 8250 Old Today, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:

Thanks for posting the model. This is a known bug with some Seagate 2TB drives but I don't think the earlier posters identified the specific model to avoid. Most 2TB drives, including Seagate drives, have been reported to work OK; but if we don't know which one doesn't work, the only remaining option was to avoid all Seagate 2TB drives just to make sure we don't get stuck with the "bad" model.
post #8244 of 8250 Old Today, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
  1. On the command prompt type diskpart and answer to any possible UAC prompt.
  2. On the new diskpart prompt, type list disk. Note the Disk ### column.
  3. Type, select disk ### (with ### being the partition you wish to delete.
  4. Finish by typing, clean.
I always recommend doing a list disk after the select disk and looking for the asterisk... that way you can verify you didn't have a typo.
post #8245 of 8250 Old Today, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Too late. I took it back to his house last night with the NTFS partition back on it and overnight started a 800 gig data copy from his existing external (backup purposed) WD 3TB USB drive to the 2TB Seagate drive. Once that data copy is done I'll switch the roles of the 2TB drive that the DVR+ doesn't like, and the 3TB Western Digital drive that the DVR+ will most likely accept.

By hook or by crook!
And as a bonus, he'll get slightly more storage space for his recordings!
post #8246 of 8250 Old Today, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
On the CM Facebook page today: "...Right now we're working on a possible opportunity that popped up unexpectedly with a short window. In order to take advantage of this, we've had to place the Linear rollout on temporary hold. There are very good reasons for this and we wish we could tell you more but we just absolutely cannot talk about it! If all goes well, you'll be more than pleased with the update when it comes out."
-->This tells me that their Linear offering will be extra great due to this delay...like, ability-to-record great! If, a month from now, this ends up not being the case, I am going to be really PO'd.
post #8247 of 8250 Old Today, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrag2 View Post
This tells me that their Linear offering will be extra great due to this delay...like, ability-to-record great! If, a month from now, this ends up not being the case, I am going to be really PO'd.
You purchased this box based on some promise that might not be met? I thought everyone learned that lesson a long time ago...
MKS13 likes this.
post #8248 of 8250 Old Today, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Thanks for posting the model. This is a known bug with some Seagate 2TB drives but I don't think the earlier posters identified the specific model to avoid. Most 2TB drives, including Seagate drives, have been reported to work OK; but if we don't know which one doesn't work, the only remaining option was to avoid all Seagate 2TB drives just to make sure we don't get stuck with the "bad" model.
You're very welcome. Just to clarify if there's any new folks lurking... the "bug" is not in the hard drives but in the DVR+ and its inability to use many widely available external hard drives. I doubt CM refers to it as a bug, but it sure is a severe weakness.
post #8249 of 8250 Old Today, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
... the "bug" is not in the hard drives but in the DVR+ and its inability to use many widely available external hard drives. I doubt CM refers to it as a bug, but it sure is a severe weakness.
I'm not sure the word "many" is fair ... AFAIK the bug you encountered only occurs with certain models of Seagate 2TB drives. If anyone has experienced this with a WD or Toshiba drive or any drive of another size, they haven't mentioned it here.

I do think the term "bug" is correct, though; although I doubt CM would publicly admit it, since doing so could oblige them to fix it. Hopefully they'll fix it anyway, then they can admit it was indeed a bug.

In contrast, the 2.2 TB limit is sort of the opposite. It applies to any drive over that size, so it's a much bigger issue - but you could reasonably argue that strictly speaking, it isn't a "bug."
post #8250 of 8250 Old Today, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
You're very welcome. Just to clarify if there's any new folks lurking... the "bug" is not in the hard drives but in the DVR+ and its inability to use many widely available external hard drives. I doubt CM refers to it as a bug, but it sure is a severe weakness.
CM selected Seagate drives for use with the DVR+, in particular the 1TB and 3TB drives and they support the ones that they have recommended. (yes I know of the limitations with the 3TB drive)
They have stated that they do not support any other manufactures drives.
They have made it known that there could be problems with the 2TB Seagate drives, and recommend it not being used, and it has been endlessly reported on this thread.
I took a chance on a Toshiba Canvio 2TB drive and it's working fine. Purchased it from Sam's Club for $90 and it came with a 32GB flash drive. If it hadn't worked it would have been my problem not CM's.
The DVR+ is what it is, not what everyone thinks or wants it to be. BUT.. I guess it's fun to wish and complain.. EVEN if you don't own or use one..
See.. now I feel better..
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread