Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 277 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #8281 of 8284 Old Today, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 268
I haven't heard of any "new & improved" model in the works. But Channel Master is promising new features via firmware upgrades.

"Linear TV" channels (Internet-based video streams, broadcast on a schedule like traditional TV) are to be added "in 2-3 weeks." But they keep saying that every 2-3 weeks

Whole-home functionality is supposed to be added by the end of the year. It'll be nice if it happens, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8282 of 8284 Old Today, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettdacosta View Post
See here... this may help you transfer recordings off...

http://www.amazon.com/content-extern...sin=B00JGZQ17Q
I should have said "no practical way." Those methods work, but with the 1TB model, you have to disassemble it, remove the internal HDD, and plug it into your PC or an HDD dock. Opening the case probably voids your warranty too; most wouldn't risk that with a $399 device.

No such issues with the 16GB model: since the HDD is external, just unplug it from the DVR+, plug it into a PC, and copy away. (You do need ext2fsd if you're on Windows, but it's free.) Pachinko's program helps a lot, BTW.
post #8283 of 8284 Old Today, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I should have said "no practical way." Those methods work, but with the 1TB model, you have to disassemble it, remove the internal HDD, and plug it into your PC or an HDD dock. Opening the case probably voids your warranty too; most wouldn't risk that with a $399 device.

No such issues with the 16GB model: since the HDD is external, just unplug it from the DVR+, plug it into a PC, and copy away. (You do need ext2fsd if you're on Windows, but it's free.) Pachinko's program helps a lot, BTW.
Perfect reply.

Thanks for the help. Maybe if all these things are promised for the existing unit, it's a little too early to expect another latest and greatest model to come out.

I figured that's what you meant about getting the files off. In my head I just always planned on the 16gb (with external hard-drive), and I was thinking that you were saying there were issues with that. If you run that setup (16gb and external HDD), can you specify which drive you want it to record to? It would suck if you had to fill up the 16gb's before you "automatically" started recording to the external HDD.
post #8284 of 8284 Old Today, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettdacosta View Post
If you run that setup (16gb and external HDD), can you specify which drive you want it to record to? It would suck if you had to fill up the 16gb's before you "automatically" started recording to the external HDD.
Yes, you can tell the DVR+ whether to use the internal or external drive. When you plug in an external HDD, it will ask you if you want to start using it. Just click "confirm" and it will. (If the DVR+ hasn't formatted it, it will ask you if it can do that; again, click "confirm" to go ahead.) Once you're on an external HDD, it will keep using it until either you unplug it or use the menu option to switch back to the internal drive.

The 16GB internal drive is good to have in emergencies, but you'll almost never use it once you have an external drive. It doesn't hold much, you can only record one show at a time (vs. two at a time with an external HDD), you can't do recurring recordings, and you have to explicitly turn on time-shifting (with an external HDD, time-shifting is on by default).
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page