Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 279 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #8341 of 8357 Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Just curious-what makes you confident that CM is even capable of remaining competitive?
Do we know if CM is just a middleman, with ES being the only ones capable of development of the firmware?
Has CM's historical behavior proven to you they have a long history of delivering-even a short history of delivering????
Not too familiar with the company but from browsing this forum I get the impression they (CM/ES) have fallen short of delighting their customers.
For starters, the DVR+ is a very good DVR. It was the best available DVR not called TiVo at launch and it is the best DVR not called TiVo right now. They have introduced new features since launch. The fact that Vudu runs on the DVR+ says that the hardware is capable of running a bunch of other OTA apps. I like the sound of Linear OTT. They showed me enough at CES that I do not think it is vaporware. I actually believe their issues are related to licensing rather than technology. I also believe them when they say that Linear OTT was held up by an opportunity with a window -- I suspect that the window is Sling TV, HBO, and/or Netflix. No inside knowledge. Maybe just wishful thinking.

I still like the DVR+. I have used it offline and it is the best untethered DVR available.

So, as a hobbyist, I am excited to get these TiVos at a substantial discount and hope CM and TiVo engage in a feature war.
osu1991 and JHBrandt like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8342 of 8357 Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Everyone should keep in mind we're a prickly bunch on this thread. I'm mostly delighted with my DVR+, but also quite willing to complain loudly about its shortcomings. Others are probably similar, so don't read our whining as necessarily meaning we're dissatisfied with the DVR+. We complain because we love....

The new TiVo offer is very aggressive. $299 is less than half of the regular Roamio+lifetime list price of $698 (of course I know few actually pay that full price, but they still pay far more than $299). I don't mind some competition, but I have to wonder if TiVo is playing "Monopoly;" trying to drive CM/E* out of the DVR market.

Don't know if they'll succeed, but if they do, I'd expect that $299 offer to go away pretty fast, and everyone except the folks who got $299 TiVos will be worse off. Hopefully CM/E* can compete successfully, and we'll all benefit instead.
post #8343 of 8357 Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Brand X DVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Everyone should keep in mind we're a prickly bunch on this thread. I'm mostly delighted with my DVR+, but also quite willing to complain loudly about its shortcomings. Others are probably similar, so don't read our whining as necessarily meaning we're dissatisfied with the DVR+. We complain because we love....

The new TiVo offer is very aggressive. $299 is less than half of the regular Roamio+lifetime list price of $698 (of course I know few actually pay that full price, but they still pay far more than $299). I don't mind some competition, but I have to wonder if TiVo is playing "Monopoly;" trying to drive CM/E* out of the DVR market.

Don't know if they'll succeed, but if they do, I'd expect that $299 offer to go away pretty fast, and everyone except the folks who got $299 TiVos will be worse off. Hopefully CM/E* can compete successfully, and we'll all benefit instead.
The $299 offer has already gone away, the link now takes you to the regular price of $50 with the $15 service plan.
One has to wonder why????
post #8344 of 8357 Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM

still works for me.
post #8345 of 8357 Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Its hit or miss as to who gets the link to work.
post #8346 of 8357 Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 71
If you havenā€™t been to thread TiVo Roamio OTA DVR lately, you might want to discuss the TiVo offer there. Post 175, by Bryan_CoxPHX, lists the URLs to the other 6 promotions, which may be of interest to some.
kwg likes this.
post #8347 of 8357 Old Today, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Wizwor,

I believe this statement you made is not correct..."The fact that Vudu runs on the DVR+ says that the hardware is capable of running a bunch of other OTA apps." No one else picked up on it so maybe I am the one that is wrong. As far as I know VUDU is NOT an OTA APP. You have to be connected to the internet to get VUDU. It is an internet app.
post #8348 of 8357 Old Today, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Wizwor,

I believe this statement you made is not correct..."The fact that Vudu runs on the DVR+ says that the hardware is capable of running a bunch of other OTA apps." No one else picked up on it so maybe I am the one that is wrong. As far as I know VUDU is NOT an OTA APP. You have to be connected to the internet to get VUDU. It is an internet app.
VUDU or VUDU+ is definitely an internet streaming app. Not a very popular one either, due to its commercials.
post #8349 of 8357 Old Today, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
VUDU or VUDU+ is definitely an internet streaming app. Not a very popular one either, due to its commercials.
VUDU doesn't have commercials. Hulu does.
post #8350 of 8357 Old Today, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1991 View Post
VUDU doesn't have commercials. Hulu does.
Sorry, I knew it was one of them.
post #8351 of 8357 Old Today, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 162
For all of you who love to discuss TIVO on the DVR+ forum why not discuss TIVO here: 2014 list of consumer available DVR's

And leave this forum for DVR+ discussion!
kwg likes this.
post #8352 of 8357 Unread Today, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I think by OTA APP the poster was referring to an application which is made avaliable and downloaded to the device through the broadcast stream over the air using the ATSC specification for file carousel. As I recall there is a capability to present a filesystem of sorts through the broadcast to make avaliable for example firmware updates though I dont think anyone in the USA uses the capability. In this respect the VUDU app is for sure not an OTA app. The binary is built into the devices firmware as delivered to the customer and all the app does i utilize the network connection to talk to the VUDU/Walmart content servers and streams content.
post #8353 of 8357 Unread Today, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
For starters, the DVR+ is a very good DVR. It was the best available DVR not called TiVo at launch and it is the best DVR not called TiVo right now. They have introduced new features since launch. The fact that Vudu runs on the DVR+ says that the hardware is capable of running a bunch of other OTA apps. I like the sound of Linear OTT. They showed me enough at CES that I do not think it is vaporware. I actually believe their issues are related to licensing rather than technology. I also believe them when they say that Linear OTT was held up by an opportunity with a window -- I suspect that the window is Sling TV, HBO, and/or Netflix. No inside knowledge. Maybe just wishful thinking.

I still like the DVR+. I have used it offline and it is the best untethered DVR available.

So, as a hobbyist, I am excited to get these TiVos at a substantial discount and hope CM and TiVo engage in a feature war.
I hope you are correct about CM. it was exciting to see them introduce a DVR into the marketplace and that is why I bought 2, a 16GB and 1TB version, to complement my Tivo S3's, Premiere's, and Roamio's......
Competition is good fur us consumers. I look forward to their new features they mention-including linear TV. They just need to move along lest they pick up Tivo's bad habit is sloooooooow development practice.
post #8354 of 8357 Unread Today, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Wizwor,

I probably did not articulate that well. I like the DVR+. I like it as an untethered OTA DVR. It does everything well in that regard. I have always regarded it as a runner up to the TiVo except in two regards 1) price and 2) lack of phone or internet requirement. Those who have run the DVR+ without an internet connection know that there is not a lot of drop off in value when you do not have the Rovi guide.

I have my DVR+s plugged in to the internet. I appreciate the additional functionality that comes with that -- namely YouTube and Vudu. This functionality was added after product launch, so I consider it a BONUS for early adopters.

There has been a lot of talk about the fact that CM has not delivered on teased enhancements. We were told that the two 'big' OTT apps which would come in January were delayed by work on Linear OTT then that Linear OTT was delayed by something special which had to be addressed in a window.

All I was saying is that the DVR+ is capable of streaming OTT because they have demonstrated the capability with YouTube and Vudu apps. I believe them when they say these are licensing issues. I believe those issues will work out and the DVR+ will be a better machine going forward.
post #8355 of 8357 Unread Today, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Wizwor,

I think he meant to type OTT, since "OTA app" doesn't make much sense.

Edit: A way "OTA app" might make sense just occurred to me: if CM released an app for something like, say, Ion's Airbox service. But Airbox is fully available only in Houston (it seems partly available in a few other cities such as Dallas), so that doesn't seem likely.

Last edited by JHBrandt; Today at 07:22 PM. Reason: Airbox
post #8356 of 8357 Unread Today, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The 299 roamio offer is still available

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post
The $299 offer has already gone away, the link now takes you to the regular price of $50 with the $15 service plan.
One has to wonder why????

You have to copy link into your browser, if it doesn't work try it again and again. Do not refresh otherwise it wont load. It took me about 3-4 times before it worked. Im using IE explorer V 11.0.960017691CO.

I was trying to post the link but since I'm a noob here it doesn't allow me
post #8357 of 8357 Unread Today, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningman_tx View Post
You have to copy link into your browser, if it doesn't work try it again and again. Do not refresh otherwise it wont load. It took me about 3-4 times before it worked. Im using IE explorer V 11.0.960017691CO.

I was trying to post the link but since I'm a noob here it doesn't allow me
no need post it here - please proceed to Tivo thread!
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k
Gear in this thread