133Likes

post #811 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
1. CM didn't and doesn't supply the data for the guide.
2. Not having the data surely doesn't make the DVR "useless".
Quote:
I think that if you were to talk to Channel Master, and they were candid, they would tell you that the CM-7400 was for the most part a disaster.
And I was criticized for only rating the 7400 three stars. rolleyes.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post

I'm using 3-ea Channel Vision 4-way splitters that I'm pleased with, but they no longer make that model. A seller on Amazon has them, but they are 'salty' http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Vision-CVT-2-4PIA-Amplified/dp/B000KPS3GS
I have one of their 8-way splitters, but the gain is half that of the 4-ways. I have it running my HDHR's....seems to work fine; driving each RF input with a separate splitter output. The older HDHR's have an Ant input for each tuner, but I think the newer only have one. I assume they have a splitter inside, but I don't actually know that.

8-way splitter and other C V stuff:
http://www.channelvision.com/product-category/audio-video-distribution/splitters-taps/

I previously had several Radio Shack black box things that seemed to work on the old analog system, but they are totally junk on digital. ---- More noise than signal,

Can you or someone recommend a good amplifier that splits the signal to just two RF/coax out? I assume this would be less loss than splitting to 4, if I don't need so many? It looks like maybe this: http://www.channelvision.com/products/audio-video-distribution/5-1000mhz-rf-amplifer-40db-gain-cvt-40bid/ (but how do I buy from them). Searching on Amazon, I'm not sure what terms to search for. And obviously the monkeys at Fry's will be of no help. Many thanks for any assistance!

PS I just learned you can use a splitter/combiner to use two antennas pointed in different directions, never needing to rotate your antenna. That is awesome. I guess I'm even more antenna-stupid than I thought.

PPS My DVR+ arrives tomorrow!
post #813 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post

... So, we're buying for the short term at best anyway. ...
I would say six years wouldn't be qualified short term; the question is not phraseology exercise but how long the K77 will have the ROVI's guide ?
post #814 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

squeaky wheels ... CM begun create labels for orders posted around 12/16/13 ... three weeks later ...UPS ground ... need to wait another two weeks ... tell me how good to deal a business with the company ?
post #815 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrag2 View Post

Can you or someone recommend a good amplifier that splits the signal to just two RF/coax out? I assume this would be less loss than splitting to 4, if I don't need so many? It looks like maybe this: http://www.channelvision.com/products/audio-video-distribution/5-1000mhz-rf-amplifer-40db-gain-cvt-40bid/ (but how do I buy from them). Searching on Amazon, I'm not sure what terms to search for. And obviously the monkeys at Fry's will be of no help. Many thanks for any assistance!

PS I just learned you can use a splitter/combiner to use two antennas pointed in different directions, never needing to rotate your antenna. That is awesome. I guess I'm even more antenna-stupid than I thought.

PPS My DVR+ arrives tomorrow!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cvt-40bid&sprefix=CVT-40BID%2Caps%2C225&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acvt-40bid

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
post #816 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
A couple of notes to think about. Does anyone else think it odd how practically no one of the owners has admitted to the actual order number they have? Is it also a bit odd that all the reviewers who have written seem to have glowing recommendations. That aside I, like many of you placed my order on Dec. 16th and find it a bit disingenuous of CM to fill later orders before mine. I have in the past bought from CM. That alone makes me wonder if all the glowing recommendations are real. Now then here is the real reason I AM WRITING. I paid by PayPal and the payment was made on Dec.16th, which as you will note is before some of the filled orders were even made! It is also important for all the rest of you that may have done as I because we only have 45 days to file a dispute with PayPal from the date of payment. That means we have until January 29th! If this company is not able to get this unit to me by January 15th I will file a complaint and I would advise all the rest of you who have done like me to file too. I want a few days to see what I really have so I have arbitrarily picked January 15th. In the words of those famous turtles "the clock is ticking dude." biggrin.gif
post #817 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

there is some hope ... see my post#814
post #818 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Thread Ender

I have no horse in this race.. But I would not blame anyone for not wanting to put their "order number" or any similar info on a public forum.

They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #819 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 12:51 PM

post #820 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 01:00 PM

Some more info from someone getting a unit in the "early" batch (UPS tracking says it will arrive tomorrow)

I ordered mine on the 19th. They called me (no email) on the 30th saying they could ship mine later in the week, and would I like to follow up with them in a few weeks my experience using it. They also asked if and what portable hard drive I planned on using, what kind of signal strength I'm currently getting on my stations with my current setup, and what kind and brand of antenna I'm using. (I didn't order any "extras" from them except the WiFi adapter)

I'm guessing they just chose some people at random. I thought it was just people relatively close to Ariz, but a previous poster said he's on the East Coast...

I've never bought anything from CM, or even one of their products. I'm still using my DTVPal. It just occurred to me though that I used my Dad's shipping address, and he has bought antennas from them in the past. That's the only connection I can think of!
post #821 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrag2 View Post

Wow, $200? I was hoping like $30. Never mind then

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103093&filterName=Category

Bidirectional and I use two. They supply terminators for unused ports. No loss.

post #822 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD24 View Post

How was this bait and switch?  Until yesterday all they were offering were pre-orders which were promised to ship in January.  Nothing more.  The fact that they were able to ship some units out before that doesn't obligate them to fill all of the pre-orders.

1. How about taking people's money before actually shipping the product! You should never be billed unitil the product is actually being shipped. You should not be billed for a product when there is NO product to ship!

2. How about shipping units to people who preordered later than the people who they took the money from and are waiting for their units to ship!
post #823 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

I would not blame anyone for not wanting to put their "order number" or any similar info on a public forum.

I concur. It's one thing to show concern that CM promised to ship more units than it could actually deliver, but accusing people of posting false reviews because they won't publicly share details of their financial transactions is overly paranoid.
osu1991 likes this.
post #824 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 02:48 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

1. How about taking people's money before actually shipping the product! You should never be billed unitil the product is actually being shipped. You should not be billed for a product when there is NO product to ship!

2. How about shipping units to people who preordered later than the people who they took the money from and are waiting for their units to ship!

Out of all the people on this forum who have said that they ordered the DVR+ I only recall one person making the claim that they were charged for the unit without getting a shipping confirmation within a day or so.  It's hard to claim bait and switch based on one person's experience.

Update: My credit card was charged at 10:40 AM and at 11:23 AM the same day I received an email shipping confirmation with a tracking number.

post #825 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

I would say six years wouldn't be qualified short term...

Given that my car is 23 years old, I have a 1999 Toshiba 55" big screen that works just fine, and my parents are still using a Sylvania Super Set from the early 1980's (which still has a great picture by the way), and my palDVR is approaching 4 years old, I have to consider 6 years to only be short term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

the question is not phraseology exercise but how long the K77 will have the ROVI's guide ?

My guess is that the Rovi guide will outlast the usefulness of the device. Just saying... tongue.gif But, of course, my crystal ball doesn't always work all that well.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

post #826 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Since these devices are arriving at the door steps of REAL user I can not wait to see some reviews. Would like to know more about the EPG and how recording shows works. Plus the recording of a weekly series, AKA like the Tivo "Season Pass".

That is my BIG question does it have a feature that function like the TIVO "Season Pass"?????? It is a deal breaker!

GPowers

post #827 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

I have no horse in this race.. But I would not blame anyone for not wanting to put their "order number" or any similar info on a public forum.
nothing will reveal if you will post the numbers, do mask last digits, if it's bother you too much wink.gif
post #828 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 194
FYI, I placed a order yesterday, and got an email this morning it was shipping today using UPS with tracking number. However, I decided to cancel the order - decided to wait and hear from more folks before going for it. Perhaps Robert Heron will review it on HDNation !! I will live with the iView for a bit longer ;-)
post #829 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowers View Post

Since these devices are arriving at the door steps of REAL user I can not wait to see some reviews. Would like to know more about the EPG and how recording shows works. Plus the recording of a weekly series, AKA like the Tivo "Season Pass".

That is my BIG question does it have a feature that function like the TIVO "Season Pass"?????? It is a deal breaker!

This post from a few days ago describes how the "Season Pass" works . . .

They consider

post #830 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 03:31 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD24 View Post

Out of all the people on this forum who have said that they ordered the DVR+ I only recall one person making the claim that they were charged for the unit without getting a shipping confirmation within a day or so.  It's hard to claim bait and switch based on one person's experience.

Update: My credit card was charged at 10:40 AM and at 11:23 AM the same day I received an email shipping confirmation with a tracking number.

Maybe I am the only person who was charged on the date I made the order. I am not sure why any of you would be so paranoid to divulge your order number. Here is a copy of exactly what my email from CM said "Your order number is 31006, placed 12/16/2013 at 12:38PM. " I have already received my credit card statement which was dated with a transaction date of 12/17/2013. That means it went through from PAYPAL to CM almost immediately. Todays date is January 6, 2014 and I have not received a shipping notice YET. Do you really wonder why I might be a little bit concerned? My post was to warn others who might not yet have their credit card statement due to the time lag involved with your own company. If you did use PAYPAL then be warned you only have 45 days to dispute a charge from the actual date of payment. LOOK ON YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT TO CHECK. I think it is wonderful for you DD24 but I have not been so lucky as you and yet I DID both make my order and pay before you even contacted CM. NOW do you really not understand why I might be a little upset? mad.gif
post #831 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowers View Post

Plus the recording of a weekly series, AKA like the Tivo "Season Pass".
Partial season pass capability. It is already known that with the Internet guide enabled it uses name-based recording so it will automatically record all the programs of a given name regardless of when they are scheduled. It is also known that it will not discriminate between first-run episodes and repeats. What seems to be unresolved yet is whether it records all the program episodes on a single channel (like a season pass) or records all the episodes that appear on any channel (like a wishlist).

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #832 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post

Given that my car is 23 years old, I have a 1999 Toshiba 55" big screen that works just fine, and my parents are still using a Sylvania Super Set from the early 1980's (which still has a great picture by the way), and my palDVR is approaching 4 years old, I have to consider 6 years to only be short term.
My guess is that the Rovi guide will outlast the usefulness of the device. Just saying... tongue.gif But, of course, my crystal ball doesn't always work all that well.

There are a few people still using their Sony DHG HD DVRs over a year after Rovi decided to not support it. Like me.

I don't know if it was Rovi that screwed the LG LST-3410a. It's been a while.

post #833 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 03:44 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1 View Post

Maybe I am the only person who was charged on the date I made the order. I am not sure why any of you would be so paranoid to divulge your order number. Here is a copy of exactly what my email from CM said "Your order number is 31006, placed 12/16/2013 at 12:38PM. " I have already received my credit card statement which was dated with a transaction date of 12/17/2013. That means it went through from PAYPAL to CM almost immediately. Todays date is January 6, 2014 and I have not received a shipping notice YET. Do you really wonder why I might be a little bit concerned? My post was to warn others who might not yet have their credit card statement due to the time lag involved with your own company. If you did use PAYPAL then be warned you only have 45 days to dispute a charge from the actual date of payment. LOOK ON YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT TO CHECK. I think it is wonderful for you DD24 but I have not been so lucky as you and yet I DID both make my order and pay before you even contacted CM. NOW do you really not understand why I might be a little upset? mad.gif

Yes, I can understand why you are upset.  I would be too.  Did you call CM about this?  They obviously have made an error in your case that needs to be corrected.

post #834 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe I am the only person who was charged on the date I made the order. I am not sure why any of you would be so paranoid to divulge your order number. Here is a copy of exactly what my email from CM said
"Your order number is 31006, placed 12/16/2013 at 12:38PM. "
I have already received my credit card statement which was dated with a transaction date of 12/17/2013. That means it went through from PAYPAL to CM almost immediately. Todays date is January 6, 2014 and I have not received a shipping notice YET. Do you really wonder why I might be a little bit concerned? My post was to warn others who might not yet have their credit card statement due to the time lag involved with your own company. If you did use PAYPAL then be warned you only have 45 days to dispute a charge from the actual date of payment. LOOK ON YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT TO CHECK. I think it is wonderful for you DD24 but I have not been so lucky as you and yet I DID both make my order and pay before you even contacted CM. NOW do you really not understand why I might be a little upset? mad.gif
Man ! CM has most corrupted ordering online system what I've seen frown.gif
see what I got first time - check the months(!) :

Your order number is 301xx, placed 11/14/2013 at 11:xxPM. in less then one hour Paypal payment occured on my transaction log, then I got a refund next day: Nov 15, 2013 15:xx PST
now check the order's number for second order
Your order number is 310xx, placed 12/16/2013 at 07:xxPM.
Difference between my order and tmh1's order number is less then 90

Why lucky owners (how many ? 2-3-4 ?) cannot share "the top secret" ordering sequences with us ? Knowledge, you know, is powerful thing wink.gif
post #835 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 05:55 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

I suspect the reason you were charged when you ordered is because of Paypal and not Channel Master but they could have given a warning when you ordered. I ordered a camera online from a reputable dealer last week and used Paypal for payment. The camera dealers web site warned when I chose Paypal that my account would be immediately charged. They charge when shipped if you give them your card number and don't use Paypal.
post #836 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

Robert Heinlein.

Sometimes phrased as "Do not attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple incompetence."

Chuck

wizwor likes this.
post #837 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 06:14 PM

Liked: 14
I placed my order on 12/31 (paid with PayPal). I received an email this morning from CM saying that my order shipped today, a tracking # was provided. I paid extra for 2nd Day Air shipping, so I guess my DVR will get here on Wednesday.
post #838 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

On your guide, does it have listings through 1/20 or 1/19? Thanks for checking.

At this moment (approx 9:11 Eastern, Jan 6) the guide includes the 11 pm slot on 1/20.
post #839 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
A simple call to Paypal would clear that up. Paypal puts a claim on funds at the time of the transaction, but does not transfer the money until instructed to by the vendor. I bought a couple Netflix subscriptions this year and my PP transactions were actually higher than the cost of the subscription. I called them and that is what I was told. Sure enough, the hold was replaced with an actual charge a few minutes later.

BTW, for actual owners of DVR+, someone posted a comment to my review...

http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/2013/12/31/channel-master-dvr/comment-page-1/#comment-426

meaddogman
JANUARY 6, 2014 @ 8:11 PM [EDIT]
I use a WD 4 TB My Book with the DVR+ w/o any issues!

meaddogman
JANUARY 6, 2014 @ 8:57 PM [EDIT]
Len: the model # is WDBFJK0040HBK-04.

640 hours of HD video storage. Great news for ACTUAL OWNERS of the DVR+
ChuckyBear likes this.

post #840 of 4844 Old 01-06-2014, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyNY View Post

I placed my order on 12/31 (paid with PayPal). I received an email this morning from CM saying that my order shipped today, a tracking # was provided. I paid extra for 2nd Day Air shipping, so I guess my DVR will get here on Wednesday.

Did you check with UPS website to see the status of the order?  Is it "label printed" or "picked up"?

Chuck

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page